Sign in to follow this  
JenS

Southern GC or Sunny Coast and why?

We are seriously looking at moving away from the freezing southern half of this continent (once borders re-open) and moving to QLD... the choice is either Sunshine Coast or Southern end of the GC (don’t want big city feel of Surfers or Brisbane). So, looking for opinions as to which is preferable for a triathlon lifestyle (No kids so school zones etc is not an issue) and why... go!🌞

Assuming your work/cash flow situation isn't impacted by either choice, for a southerner, I'd choose the Goldie.

Just that bit closer to other stuff - international airport, Tweed/Byron Coast etc.

Natural attractions can be found in both locations, beaches, creeks, hills, trails all local/accessible at either spot.

If you can get accommodation of your preference for a similar price at either, you can't really lose though.

• Like 1

I grew up in Byron bay. Whilst I wouldn’t live there now, Lennox Head or evening places like Pottsville are appealing.  
even Coffs Harbour. 

sunny coast you’d die in summer after living down south. 

We are in Adelaide so hot summer is no problems... we are used to baking, but one of us doesn’t mind the humidity, and he will just have to get used to it! 

• Haha 2

I moved from Sydney to the mid-South area of the Goldie in Oct last year. Loving it so far. The roads are so much quieter and wider with more bikes lanes than what I used to ride in Sydney. The hinterland is phenomenal for riding and there are some seriously challenging hill climbs. 

The only thing I haven't gotten used to yet is running in the Summer heat...it is brutal. So you either need to run before dawn or really late at night (even then you're running in 24 degrees).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JenS said:

We are in Adelaide so hot summer is no problems... we are used to baking, but one of us doesn’t mind the humidity, and he will just have to get used to it! 

-H- moved from Radelaide to Kingscliff.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

-H- moved from Radelaide to Kingscliff.  

Aaannnnd you like it? Pros/ cons?

-H- is another member on the forum, I'm sure she will be along to comment soon.

I visited her a couple of times. It seemed like a great place to live. 

Like you, every year my wife and I talk about moving too Queensland.

• Like 1

Kingscliff was great, I lived there for 5 years and loved it.  Mind you I loved Adelaide too, especially the Hills 😍 

I preferred the Tweed Coast to the Gold Coast just because it was quieter (but still really close to an international airport at Cooly and easy access to Brisbane).  I've never lived on the Sunny Coast, so can't really give you a comparison. 

• Like 1

Never lived at either but had access to family/friends holiday homes at both. They are both good choices for training, and you are right to keep away from the main area of the GC. Personally, there is not much difference between the 2. They both have great hinterlands for riding, they are both quieter than the cities nearby. Personally I'd pick the Southern GC/Northern NSW. I think the main reason I'd do that is easy access to the facilities and numbers of potential training groups that the GC has, and the fact that you can head south and there are still great places with small towns on the beach for day tripping & riding. At the S/C, that's about it. There's bugger all north of there.

• Like 1

I may be biased but why do you think that three of the most popular triathlons are on the Sunny Coast.

• Like 1

Going somewhere for a race or a holiday is very different from living there

• Like 2

Each have their pros and cons. I think the Gold Coast itself is a bit crap, but northern NSW (Tweed to Byron) is absolutely amazing for bike riding. I'd move their in a heartbeat. I love love love Kingscliff. 

But if you chose Brisbane, you could basically have the best of both as they're both not that far to travel from. Brisbane ain't really a 'big city'. 

14 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

But if you chose Brisbane, you could basically have the best of both as they're both not that far to travel from. Brisbane ain't really a 'big city'. 

And you can live on acreage at the foothills of the mountains, 25km from the CBD for quite reasonable prices.

image.thumb.png.9af8a413696d6864fa71d6eec7f6aab4.png

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -H- said:

Going somewhere for a race or a holiday is very different from living there

I agree.  When you live there it feels like you are on holidays permanently.

31 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

.But if you chose Brisbane, you could basically have the best of both as they're both not that far to travel from. Brisbane ain't really a 'big city'. 

This is a terrible idea. 
Do not compromise your dream like this. 
If you want the beach, move to the beach, not the city. 

• Like 1

Sunshine coast, somewhere around Pomona would be my choice.  Got alot of friends have retired / moved there and it has a great community feel about it.  GC just feels more and more like people are building on top of each other, my last trip to Bryon (outside of school holidays) was my last - just seemed to be in a traffic jam constantly once you got in your car

Another option to throw out is Bargara on the coast East of Bundaberg.  You have an airport within 20 minutes, seems to be a great community very active, plenty of groups out riding when I was up there, very active surf club of various ages, active tri club and you don't get quite the population you do with your other two options.  Only downside is you don't get hills extremely close by, so look at it as a chance to warm up before hitting the hills, not that far to get to tris at Hervey Bay and Noosa either

20 minutes ago, Tyno said:

This is a terrible idea. 
Do not compromise your dream like this. 
If you want the beach, move to the beach, not the city. 

Fair enough - if OP wants the beach, then yes, Brisbane doesn't really work. 

In that case, I'd probably err towards northern NSW. 

• Like 1

With all the pools closed for training I have had to resort to my new pool (see attached) which has free entry but no lane ropes.  Water is a pleasant 24 degrees and they have provided tall buildings in each direction for ease of navigation.  However, you have to be careful not to bump into all of the other swimmers out there at the moment.  Some people may recognise it as near the start point of a significant triathlon.

IMG_20200416_085700 (2).jpg

• Like 3

This weekends Sydney "cold snap" has once again ignited our annual "discussion" of selling up and moving North. 

Ironically it is my Mrs who feels the cold the most, yet is also the most reluctant to move.  😠

• Haha 2

Sunny coast, has no southport/surfers

Edited by Merv
Sp
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

.... the S/C, that's about it. There's bugger all north of there.

A hmmm

Edited by trifun
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Sunshine coast, somewhere around Pomona would be my choice.  Got alot of friends have retired / moved there and it has a great community feel about it.  GC just feels more and more like people are building on top of each other, my last trip to Bryon (outside of school holidays) was my last - just seemed to be in a traffic jam constantly once you got in your car

Another option to throw out is Bargara on the coast East of Bundaberg.  You have an airport within 20 minutes, seems to be a great community very active, plenty of groups out riding when I was up there, very active surf club of various ages, active tri club and you don't get quite the population you do with your other two options.  Only downside is you don't get hills extremely close by, so look at it as a chance to warm up before hitting the hills, not that far to get to tris at Hervey Bay and Noosa either

Not Pomona, need to be near the beach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trifun said:

A hmmm

Sorry Ron. I meant in the near vicinity. You know I love Hervey Bay.

• Haha 1

Vote 1 for the Southern Gold Coast. I live here and think we have great riding, running, heaps of pools, beaches, rivers, lakes. We also have races but they are 10 minutes South on the Tweed Coast. We can also access the hinterland with a short ride from the beach or ride over into NSW (when its open) relatively easy. Some great tri clubs as well.

I think both are probably close in terms of training areas. I suggest you look at what you like to do outside of triathlon. The Goldie is more densely populated than SC which some people don't like. For me, it brings other good things like better roads, restaurants, entertainment etc.

• Like 1

Both would be awesome choices and at the end of the day it would be easy to over-think it.  But I would probably pick the Southern GC - it gives heaps of options for cycling/running/swimming, plus the non-sport life has a huuuge range of options you just don't get up at the Sunny Coast.   In the south GC you can be completely away from the GC glitz/glam, but its quick to get there if you ever need/want to.  Plus access to Northern NSW is a huge plus in my book too.

That said, the Sunny Coast has a lot of small towns that are unique and one might suit you perfectly. Noosa vs Mooloolaba vs Coolum vs Caloundra - just a handful that are all awesome in their own way and very different from each other...   Great decision to be able to make, good luck!! 🙂

• Like 1

This thread is making me want to move back to Kingy haha

Although it's pretty nice in Franga today too, had a bay swim and a run in the sun 🌞

95663924_1618134581660802_5224175627879317504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=PY6g5m3LeREAX9plseX&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=943df393df402d0c0d9c7048be3d8f24&oe=5ED73A26

Edited by -H-
Edit to add pic
  • Like 3

AlI depends what lifestyle you're after. Each has its merits and detractions. Give each a try and see what you think. I favour the sunny coast as I have lived there a few times, but I also like the south part of the Gold Coast and some areas in northern NSW. 

I have a mate who moved to Miami on th GC from Sydney. I love his attitude to how they viewed the move. They always say, "we bought the beach and it came with the 3 bedroom fibro house that we live in." Their focus was the beach lifestyle and not the house or work. 

• Like 1

And right on cue, this popped up in my facebook memories today

_20200506_072507.JPG

• Like 2

Lived at both and prefer Gold Coast for training.  Many more rides to choose from and if you want some hills that are close by there is nothing like Springbrook during the week. Few cars.  The long rides through the old tick gates past the natural arch has zero traffic    The roads are wider and in general so many more places to do an open water swim in various lakes plus plenty of clubs to hook up with.   

On 05/05/2020 at 2:26 PM, 2bruisedplums said:

Vote 1 for the Southern Gold Coast. I live here and think we have great riding, running, heaps of pools, beaches, rivers, lakes.

What sort of suburbs are we talking about? 

8 minutes ago, roxii said:

Anything south of Burleigh?

The Tweed Coast is great too. It’s not as easy to get to the quiet hills and countryside as southern GC though. Still much better than Sydney though with regards to that.

I’m with Stoney, if I had the choice I’d target Currumbin/Kirra area.

Bearing in mind plane traffic. 
Really once you get south of Broadbeach and north of Cooly you get away from the super touristy bits pretty quickly. 

I live in Currumbin Waters. Have lived in this area since 1991. About 2k from beach, about 1k from valleys and hinterland. Moved a few times since being here but each time within about 3k of here. Same as others have mentioned wouldn’t  go any further north than burleigh, in qld no further south than Bilinga, and if looking in nsw them ifrom Fingal Kingscliff and south.

On 08/05/2020 at 11:03 AM, roxii said:

Mermaid Waters to Tugun are the picks in my opinion. Mermaid is a bit too busy but has a great lake to swim in so i would make an exception. 

Don't move to Tugun if you want to escape aircraft noise

5 minutes ago, -H- said:

I'm sure it's nice & quiet there now.

13 minutes ago, -H- said:

Do you know where I live now?  :lol: 

Mind you selling in Sydney and moving up there gives plenty of options dollars wise. 

38 minutes ago, -H- said:

they had a guy on the radio the other day that lives near the airport and he said he is missing the planes since covid.

2 hours ago, 2bruisedplums said:

Mermaid Waters to Tugun are the picks in my opinion. Mermaid is a bit too busy but has a great lake to swim in so i would make an exception. 

Is that Lake Hugh Munz?  I don't think that has been open lately due to algae.

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Do you know where I live now?  :lol: 

Mind you selling in Sydney and moving up there gives plenty of options dollars wise. 

Yes, that's why I said "escape" rather than "avoid"

You can do much better than Tugun with your Sydney $$