Sign in to follow this  
MackaEvo2

Hawaii Ironman possible February & October 2021

Good luck with that Feb date. I think until there is a vaccine created, international travel anywhere will not be advised by governments. 

Same as the tour, Olympics etc were you have a sport with large populations coming from all over the world.

Personally sport without fans isn't worth it. The footy was bloody awful without the crowd. It was hard to watch. For the NRL, S'ppose they are used to that hahaha.

If its true I’ll take that as a scoop.  

I said that weeks ago. 

On 02/05/2020 at 8:19 AM, Peter said:

If its true I’ll take that as a scoop.  

I said that weeks ago. 

Same

On 02/05/2020 at 5:52 AM, Lost in transition said:

Good luck with that Feb date. I think until there is a vaccine created, international travel anywhere will not be advised by governments. 

Same as the tour, Olympics etc were you have a sport with large populations coming from all over the world.

Personally sport without fans isn't worth it. The footy was bloody awful without the crowd. It was hard to watch. For the NRL, S'ppose they are used to that hahaha.

Yeah I concur. Everyone on Slowtwitch is talking about "racing in June", Ironman Oct 2020 is almost a dead cert, anyone that disagrees has been laughed off the forum.... they are not really getting their heads round it. 

• Like 1

You can't be that surprised considering the way their govt talks about it.

I can"t go to the beach 2 hours away in Ocean City, can't see how everyone is getting to Kona

As I said in another thread, the yanks are going to love a World Championship where no-one else is allowed to be there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, like their baseball?

58 minutes ago, goughy said:

So, like their baseball?

And basketball.

Watching the Jordan doco and cringe every time they say NBA world champions. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

And basketball.

Watching the Jordan doco and cringe every time they say NBA world champions. 

I know. It's amazing they do it, it just looks so stupid.

the NATIONAL Basketball Association's World Championship.... :huh:

8 hours ago, dazaau said:

I know. It's amazing they do it, it just looks so stupid.

the NATIONAL Basketball Association's World Championship.... :huh:

Kind of like a Kurnell WC isn't it. ;)

• Like 1

You wouldn't think them a bit egocentric would you??

There's no US lockdown as such. There are 50 state lockdowns (or lack thereof), all of them different, and within a lot of states, like California, counties make their own rules. Hawaii has a tough 14 quarantine in effect for arriving travellers, and there are only a few hundred a day now, compared to tens of thousands a day normally. But the state is slammed by unemployment and it'll be the same as California: once they start to open up, everybody will want to get back to work at full speed.

USA Triathlon put out a vague plan for restarting races that amounts to "do whatever size events are allowed by local authorities". If Hawaii starts to open up by, say, August and there's a fair chance events with thousands of people will be permitted by October, WTC will run the race. No reason not to – it'll sell out no matter what. Maybe they call it a world championship, maybe they don't. That'll be a brand management question. If they do run a February race, that'll give them twice as many slots to sell to qualifying races, twice as many sponsorship opportunities and twice as many athletes paying registration fees and buying mdot merchandise.

We'll start to see some local races in the U.S. in June, but only in states that don't have significant restrictions now. It may be July or August before we have any in California. All that is assuming there's no explosive second wave this summer.

6 minutes ago, steve said:

There's no US lockdown as such. There are 50 state lockdowns (or lack thereof), all of them different, and within a lot of states, like California, counties make their own rules. Hawaii has a tough 14 quarantine in effect for arriving travellers, and there are only a few hundred a day now, compared to tens of thousands a day normally. But the state is slammed by unemployment and it'll be the same as California: once they start to open up, everybody will want to get back to work at full speed.

USA Triathlon put out a vague plan for restarting races that amounts to "do whatever size events are allowed by local authorities". If Hawaii starts to open up by, say, August and there's a fair chance events with thousands of people will be permitted by October, WTC will run the race. No reason not to – it'll sell out no matter what. Maybe they call it a world championship, maybe they don't. That'll be a brand management question. If they do run a February race, that'll give them twice as many slots to sell to qualifying races, twice as many sponsorship opportunities and twice as many athletes paying registration fees and buying mdot merchandise.

We'll start to see some local races in the U.S. in June, but only in states that don't have significant restrictions now. It may be July or August before we have any in California. All that is assuming there's no explosive second wave this summer.

You think we are racing in June? I'm not sure I can take the kids to the beach in Maryland

We're not in, say, Alabama or South Dakota. Be thankful 😀.

57 minutes ago, steve said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened. It would be bad though.

On 10/05/2020 at 6:04 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

As I said in another thread, the yanks are going to love a World Championship where no-one else is allowed to be there.

Hawaii has only had 17 covid deaths and currently has 54 active cases. If they play their cards right, they can join Aust and NZ in the "Pacific bubble" and we can have a World Champs in Kona in October.

Wouldn't that piss off Slowtwitch. :lol:

• Like 3

Hawai’i - 34% unemployment and going backwards by the day. I’m sure they’d do anything for an October race (full of people). 

16 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Hawaii has only had 17 covid deaths and currently has 54 active cases. If they play their cards right, they can join Aust and NZ in the "Pacific bubble" and we can have a World Champs in Kona in October.

Wouldn't that piss off Slowtwitch. :lol:

Huzzah!

Cam Wurf vs Bizzone vs Cam Browne (why not) vs Reid vs Crowie (why not) vs Joshy Amberger for the World Championship title, lols.

In all seriousness, I reckon that if WTC can convince the state authorities, it may be possible to run the pro race in October with non Hawaiian residents having to isolate somewhere on the big island for 14 days. The could also be a Hawaiian residents only AG race as well. So maybe Cowman can get another start after all these years, 😂 

If there is an October pro race, it would have to be by invitation because I think there were less than 20 qualified athletes before racing was suspended in March.

3 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Hawai’i - 34% unemployment and going backwards by the day. I’m sure they’d do anything for an October race (full of people). I reckon a February North American - Australia - NZ - Pacific only AG race may be doable.

13 hours ago, Bosco said:

Hawai’i - 34% unemployment and going backwards by the day. I’m sure they’d do anything for an October race (full of people). 

The fact they are doing so well means there is even less likelihood of them opening up their borders especially to mainland US, irrespective of how f**ked their economy is. Being broke, depressed and housebound is better than death.

17 minutes ago, zed said:

The fact they are doing so well means there is even less likelihood of them opening up their borders especially to mainland US, irrespective of how f**ked their economy is. Being broke, depressed and housebound is better than death.

ST is a mix of we will race in June and we are all going to die if we ever race again. I've accepted no more sports for me anymore.

The pros could manage a race in Hawaii not the AG. For mass amateur sports we have to discuss risk and to do that we need to understand risk.

Right now we don't know the risk, after wave 1 we have a chance to do that and it will most likely be we can live and play. 

Look at the hysteria around aerosol transmission, based on a study which was well discussed. Three months ago the WHO was saying keep travelling internationally.

Show that we can run controlled pro events this season then see what happens.

10 hours ago, zed said:

Being broke, depressed and housebound is better than death.

Not according to somepeople.... they reckon suicide rates have/are increasing by heaps.

10 hours ago, zed said:

This assumes death is certain or highly certain (it is it’s the time and manner that is not)

Many US people are starting to understand that. You will almost certainly die prematurely and miserably from poverty.

There are many more keen to work. As people get told we may have 20 to 30% with covid they start doing the maths and understanding the risk and the choice being made for them.

What is the data of death if you catch itt in America?

for example.  
Over 60 years in age. test positive. How many die? 0.002%. get that data. Fit athletes that have qualified for Hawaii would take those numbers.

a quick google and I found UK data 

Researchers on Monday announced the most comprehensive estimates to date of elderly people’s elevated risk of serious illness and death from the new coronavirus: Covid-19 kills an estimated 13.4% of patients 80 and older, compared to 1.25% of those in their 50s and 0.3% of those in their 40s.

The sharpest divide came at age 70. Although 4% of patients in their 60s died, more than twice that, or 8.6%, of those in their 70s did, Neil Ferguson of Imperial College London and his colleagues estimated in their paper, published in Lancet Infectious Diseases.

The new estimates come as scientists have been scrambling to figure out the underlying reasons for older people’s greater susceptibility to the virus — and, in particular, why some mount a stronger immune response than others.

0.3% That died, I would guess, weren’t healthy and fit like someone going to do an Ironman. 

Ironman may decide on the numbers Above to run Hawaii for under 50 year olds only. 

Edited by Kim jong-un

1 hour ago, Kim jong-un said:

for example.  
Over 60 years in age. test positive. How many die? 0.002%. get that data. Fit athletes that have qualified for Hawaii would take those numbers.

0.3% That died, I would guess, weren’t healthy and fit like someone going to do an Ironman. 

Ironman may decide on the numbers Above to run Hawaii for under 50 year olds only. 

IM may decide that, but the various government agencies involved in allowing it might not decide that fit "under 50's" are fine to spread the virus through-out their communities and infect older residents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kim jong-un said:

for example.  

After an IM I don't feel like a healthy fit person. I also suspect that my immune system is not working to full capacity. I think that the week after doing an IM would be an increased risk for Covid.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

After an IM I don't feel like a healthy fit person. I also suspect that my immune system is not working to full capacity. I think that the week after doing an IM would be an increased risk for Covid.

Ironman broke me I think, raced it while recovering from a cold. My word I got sick after! 

Since no one has immunity against covid I would imagine it makes little difference to catching it, but fighting it would be harder I think?