Flanman

So Who's Doing Port or Busso next Week?

That's right, who's doing either of them on 2 May 2020 ?

Well, not really there but..... I was thinking of doing my own individual race next week. Whilst I have not done any training over the past six weeks except three games of golf each week, I was thinking of doing a "race" to commemorate this year's missed Port pilgrimage . This would mean:-

Swim: spending time on the swim chords on the back patio. I might be lucky to do 15 mins

Ride: Jump on the bike - either the trainer or on the road

Run: See if I can do at least 10 kms.

Beer Mile: Early start - three beers later in the afternoon.

Anyone else doing something next Sunday ?

FM

• Like 1

Originally when all this went down I thought I would still go up to Port and we a few others we would still race, but the reality is.... the motivation do still do a race on the day by ourselves would be a hell and a bit of a pipe dream let alone punish yourself for no reason....

So the plan this weekend is.... as Mark mentioned above.... a long ride Saturday - i am aiming to hit the magical 200k mark. There looks to be about 4-5 of us at present. We shall.

I will still swim 4 km on the Monday morning and again on the the Thrusday night (in the dark). Am trying to organise a swim at 9PM to celebrate the new full moon (20:45) on 7th May.

And then during the week following I am planning on running a very easy 30 k from the city to Manly on the trails. 

No point smashing ourselves doing a full on the same day.....we'll be doing that in Septeber or October or November or.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

You know this was going to be my comeback race at Busso.....

so disappointed 

Nice one Centurion. 
It’s still on, only later in the year. 

FM

14 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m not coming back until my old mate returns 

I've lost track of which old mate, the one in QLD or the one in SA you battle with on bikes. Anyway with my US racing stuffed I've had nothing to do except get fit, ran 39:18 for 10 K the other week. Assuming I survive literally survive the swim of what ever races are around then I might go okay.

Hoping that Taupo 70.3 worlds might go ahead only for Kiwi and Aussies and I could do that

Busso was scheduled for Saturday the 2nd. I will be doing a 70.3 distance swim, bike and run on Saturday. I will use my car as the transition area.

• Like 2

TWA sent out this email today encouraging people to wear their Busso finisher gear and cover some of the distances.

We hope are you looking after yourself in this inprecedented time and are still finding ways of keeping active whilst still following government guidelines. 

This week is a special week for us, it's 'would-be' race-week!! That's right, you would be tapering, we would be setting up..... and although that's not happening, there's no reason why we can't still celebrate!

hr.gif
Celebrate Busso space-27.gif

Celebrate Busso
For would-be race-week, we want you to still go through the motions (apart from heading to Busselton... you can't do that!)

Whatever you do this weekend, don your previous Busso shirt, or if it was to be your first, get your event day gear on and celebrate Busso! Now is a good time for that backyard triathlon, or hitting that 90km on Zwfit? Set up an aid station in the kitchen, Transition in the Living Room! Tag us in your photos, hey... even give yourself a medal! 

You can ride a virtual Busso on Rouvy... https://my.rouvy.com/virtual-routes/detail/4340

There's still things to look forward to.... October 17th for example!

space-height-18.gif

hr.gif
MiTime.132934.jpg space-27.gif

MiTIME
MiTIME is the final piece to complete your IRONMAN 70.3 Busselton journey!

The MiTIME insert is a custom engraved insert of your name, splits and overall time that slots perfectly in the back of your medal. Posted to you on the next business day!

For new registrants: you can order during registration through the Active system and for currently registered people you can order by logging in to your Active account.

Cost is $15!

space-height-18.gif

hr.gif
TWA.133135.png space-27.gif

space-height-18.gif

TWA Training Update
Triathlon WA has provided an update based off the latest Government Guidelines regarding social gatherings.

You can read more here: https://bit.ly/2zBI4Yd

space-height-18.gif

hr.gif
IRONMAN70.3QualifierSealColour2020.135009.jpg space-27.gif

Ironman 70.3 Busselton - Your last stop before Taupo
That's right, we are one of the last races before the World Championships that are being help in New Zealand and you can qualify. 

For more information head to:
http://www.busseltonfestivaloftriathlon.com.au/world-championship-qualification.html

“TWA sent out this email today encouraging people to wear their Busso finisher gear and cover some of the distances.”

What’s new? I thought that was standard practice in WA.
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

If there was an I’m next week even in Wuhan I would do it

Perfect place to do it. Less cases there than anywhere else in the world these days.

16 minutes ago, ashley_s said:

from the website "athletes will swim in the boundless Mulan Lake, which is clear as a mirror". Is water that is clear like a mirror good?

It's a bad thing. Triathletes will be looking at their reflections instead of swimming 😀.

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2020 at 8:12 PM, Ironnerd said:

Busso was scheduled for Saturday the 2nd. I will be doing a 70.3 distance swim, bike and run on Saturday. I will use my car as the transition area.

Advice we had from TWA in relation to our club's Corona Cup event was anything timed (which has the possible effect of putting others and self at risk due to 'racing in an uncontrolled environment') would not be sanctioned by TWA/TA and would be at the individual participants risk. i.e. insurance would not cover. 

When I saw the email yesterday encouraging this, I got rather annoyed at first as we had our event shut down, but on closer reading, TWA aren't encouraging outdoor/public racing, but indoor or on your own property.

Going stir crazy with the lockdown and working from home,  I’ve devised the following ‘broken triathlon’ challenge to ward off boredom and provide some fitness goals over winter.

I’m aiming to do this once every 2 weeks or so. Maybe some of you might like to adapt it for your Port-Busso homage this Sunday. 

______ 

Right now I’m devising and fine tuning a ‘broken triathlon’ “Hero Day” challenge that I plan on doing approximately once every fortnight until the end of August.

It’s a ‘broken triathlon’ because ‘transition times’ between disciplines aren’t counted. 

This means I could space my efforts out during the day - which will help when I chose to swim in the ocean and cycle/run around centennial park or down at Kurnell; although half of these challenges will be conducted at home: swimming in my 6 metre pool against swim jets and tethered to the fence with a swim noodle around the waist; cycling on my ergo watt trainer and running around the local park or down by cooks river. 

Anyway I’ll endeavour to keep the exercises in close together to approximate a real triathlon.

The challenge is simple: how much swimming, cycling and running can I do in a maximum time of 1 hour for each discipline?

I’ve established a simple points system to measure my progress:

Swimming: Ocean swimming - 4km in an hour = 1000 points. I deduct or add 1 point for every 1.1 metres short or over that. If I only swim for 30 minutes, tough - I can only accumulate the points for the metres I swam in that time. If i swim for say 70 minutes I calculate the points based on either how many metres I swam in the first hour, or by taking an average speed. When I swim in my pool 2000 strokes = 1000 points.

2. Cycling: outdoors - 40km in an hour = 1000 points. Indoors on my ergo trainer - an average of 250 watts in an hour = 1000 points.

3. Running: 14km = 1000 points. I’m going to devise an equivalent point system if I chose to do an elliptical machine workout instead of running. That’s a work in progress.

These benchmarks are set by reference to what I think a ‘front of the pack’ amateur triathlete aged 18-45 could achieve (I’m not talking about ex pros who can still win AG world championships, but someone who could go top 10 in AG at any triathlon outside a World Championship, National Champs or a qualifying race). Pros would have a different point system (probably 5000M swimming, 50km on the bike and 18km on the run)

So last week on Tuesday: 

I swam 1500M at Clovelly in 30 minutes. That’s 375 points.   

I cycled 22.6 km in 55 minutes. That’s 565 points; and

I ran 2.2km in 15 minutes. That’s 157 points.

Total score = 1,097 points.

Obviously when I build fitness and stamina so that I can do an hour in each discipline my total score will improve. My immediate goal is to be able to do that by the end of May and I reckon I’ll probably score somewhere around 2,100 to 2,300 by then. 

I hope to then increase my points haul by going faster as I get fitter and less heavy and be around 2,500 - 2,700 points by September - just in time to do my first Half Ironman of the season - assuming that triathlons are permitted by then. There are three September options - Ironman 70.3 Cairns, Ironman 70.3 Port macquarie or Ironman Western Sydney 70.3.

Anyway lets see how that all goes!

• Like 3

I completed the Covid 70.3 on Saturday. The red cap wave started at 11am to avoid the wind in the morning, the afternoon was glorious with little wind and 27C. A new personal worst for T1 and T2, though T1 did include a cuppa😀

image.thumb.png.29f2e3da5a9c920742e4b00b1fb37eb1.png

image.thumb.png.5f3ff2657f34133a6aa85af186316046.png

image.thumb.png.1ae41b6e764c42efe01d613a09db3cf0.png

image.png.484c9dea5615d6967194c91c7570d492.png

• Like 4

That was me with the Gobi training.

Being "stuck" in Australia means that I am missing the nicest time of the year in the Gobi. Long, warm evenings, beautiful sunsets, abundant wildlife.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

That was me with the Gobi training.

Being "stuck" in Australia means that I am missing the nicest time of the year in the Gobi. Long, warm evenings, beautiful sunsets, abundant wildlife.

I thought it had to be you, not many Australian Triantelopes working and training in Mongolia I'd imagine LOL

1 hour ago, trickle said:

I thought it had to be you, not many Australian Triantelopes working and training in Mongolia I'd imagine LOL

Oddly enough there is another guy from my Tri club there.