Jump to content
MackaEvo2

Will Ironman choose to run races as domestic only for this season

Recommended Posts

Its highly likely that international travel won't happen this year.
We are in a better position than most countries so I could see that Australia and  New Zealand could still have a 20/21 season

however would Ironman still run these events without any internationals?
 

Currently I'm entered in 70.3 Port Mac and 70.3 Melbourne and thing these can only be run as Domestic events.
I don't see Kona or 70.3 worlds happening this year.
I have entered Roth for 2021 and thats still wishful thinking. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The number f international’s at our races is usually low so I can’t see how that would be a factor if they are allowed by the governments to go ahead. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking the other way round. I think that travel restrictions would have to be lifted first (for businesses and tourism) before any mass gatherings would be allowed to go ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cairns seems to draw a fair SE Asian contingent...do we really see that influx hitting town in September?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fresh said:

Cairns seems to draw a fair SE Asian contingent...do we really see that influx hitting town in September?

This is true.

And also remember..... most athletes will be training through Winter so I would think a heap have postponed there entry to 2021 already. I reckon numbers will definitely be down.

For me..... I aint going to do Port and Cairns 2 weeks apart.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

This is true.

And also remember..... most athletes will be training through Winter so I would think a heap have postponed there entry to 2021 already. I reckon numbers will definitely be down.

For me..... I aint going to do Port and Cairns 2 weeks apart.

 

I am going to give them both a go

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Peter said:

The number f international’s at our races is usually low so I can’t see how that would be a factor if they are allowed by the governments to go ahead. 

cairns had 500 (out of 1270) last year from o/s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

This is true.

And also remember..... most athletes will be training through Winter so I would think a heap have postponed there entry to 2021 already. I reckon numbers will definitely be down.

For me..... I aint going to do Port and Cairns 2 weeks apart.

 

Given the current lockdown and no reopening of pools in sight within the next few months, many athletes would also have to race on possibly a few weeks of swim training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, POT said:

Given the current lockdown and no reopening of pools in sight within the next few months, many athletes would also have to race on possibly a few weeks of swim training.

Sounds like a standard ironman for most 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Sounds like a standard ironman for most 

Yep- that’s the case with me. 😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fresh said:

Cairns seems to draw a fair SE Asian contingent...do we really see that influx hitting town in September?

I'm considering letting my current registration ride through to the 27th September on this basis... 75 slots with a depleted field, but probably the lighting fast ones in my Age Group will still come 😖

Or transfer to Port which eliminates the need to fly. But only 40 Kona spots.

I have minimal confidence I'm going to get to Kona for a re-start in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bulldog said:

are they running 2 Kona's next year? March & October?

 

Whilst I like that idea, what’s the point? 
they aren’t desperate to have a world champion and do they even make money from kona?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Move over Peter, I have a SCOOP !!!!!

FM

Ok. Scoop me.  Haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top darts, Flanno! 

My tip is international travel will be back on by August at the latest. Of course the situation changes daily but most of the big economies of the world will want things moving by then. Travel Restrictions as listed on DFAT's website, will, however, continue until end 2021. For business travel it will be game on as soon as the planes start flying. For tourists it will be a bit different.

The recent advice to the travel industry has listed a potential Earliest to last list of when restrictions will be lifted on popular tourist destinations ( and the list will change weekly to reflect the COVID situation around the world):

Between August and December 2020 - NZ, Singapore, Japan, Pacific Island Nations, Canada, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Malaysia, Vietnam, Northern European Countries, Russia, Guam & Hawaii.

January - June 2021 - UK, Mainland USA, Southern European Countries less Italy, the Stans, Mongolia, South Africa, South America, Phillipines. 

June - Dec 2021 - Italy, North Africa, Indonesia, Taiwan, China (maybe). 

As usual, the restrictions are only a guide and are used by the travel industry and tour operators to package suitable travel products, including insurances, should travellers wish to ignore the restrictions and still travel to those destinations that are recommended to avoid. 

An asterix was noted for Bali travellers and this will be all about travel insurance and what DFAT won't do for if you travel there.

With indonesia recording high numbers of COVID cases and huge numbers ignoring govt direction to not travel to their home villages during Ramadan, there is a real fear by WHO and Indonesian govt that they could record up to a million cases after Ramadan. All this means for the travel industry is Tourist destinations like Bali, Lombok and nearby Borneo will suffer as tourists stay away and cruise ships don't stop there. 

I think Hawaii Ironman will be on. You should be able to travel there but your airfare could be expensive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Greyman said:

Top darts, Flanno! 

My tip is international travel will be back on by August at the latest..

Do you mean 2021? There will be no international travel for Joe Public in or out of Australia till mid next year. If we get the virus under control or even eradicated in some states that would make international travel even more unlikely.  I'm not sure it is possible to eradicate here, but i that happens, we won't be going anywhere till there's a vaccine (2+ years). The only option for international travel would be for us to have a reciprocal agreement with NZ. 

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zed said:

Do you mean 2021? There will be no international travel for Joe Public in or out of Australia till mid next year. If we get the virus under control or even eradicated in some states that would make international travel even more unlikely.  I'm not sure it is possible to eradicate here, but i that happens, we won't be going anywhere till there's a vaccine (2+ years). The only option for international travel would be for us to have a reciprocal agreement with NZ. 

COVID19 won't be eradicated, only controlled, like all other infectious diseases. Inoculating by vaccine or curing by medication is the major control mechanism. We will see the first generation of these very shortly. They won't be perfect, but they will allow the first steps towards international travel and trade relations to resume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Greyman said:

COVID19 won't be eradicated, only controlled, like all other infectious diseases. Inoculating by vaccine or curing by medication is the major control mechanism. We will see the first generation of these very shortly. They won't be perfect, but they will allow the first steps towards international travel and trade relations to resume.

What I'm reading is that a vaccine is a long way off and in all likelihood we won't get a vaccine, period. There are a few articles in main stream media that suggest we are weeks away from a miracle cure, dig a bit deeper and you find most vaccine experts are pretty dismissive of such claims. Even if one was developed, typically it can take 10 - 12 years of testing before it gets approved. Obviously a COVID-19 vaccine is going to be fastracked, so it's not going to be 12 years, but it's going to be a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zed said:

What I'm reading is that a vaccine is a long way off and in all likelihood we won't get a vaccine, period. There are a few articles in main stream media that suggest we are weeks away from a miracle cure, dig a bit deeper and you find most vaccine experts are pretty dismissive of such claims. Even if one was developed, typically it can take 10 - 12 years of testing before it gets approved. Obviously a COVID-19 vaccine is going to be fastracked, so it's not going to be 12 years, but it's going to be a long time. 

And if we can believe everything we read, then maybe a commitment to better lifestyle choices could go a long way, given that 94% of the deaths to Coronavirus in New York’s largest hospital have had pre-existing conditions.

The press has been having a field day focusing on the negativity, hitting us up with sensationalist headlines and copy...how about we try to hold out a bit of hope instead of doom and freakin’ gloom?

I’d also think that international travel is a pretty important part of the global economy and that the powers at be will exhaust all avenues to get it up and running again asap...caution not-with-standing.

I’d sincerely hope that their own projections aren’t running as far out as 14 months, too.

 

 

 

 

Edited by MJK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with international travel will be that different countries are at different stages and that will continue due to various factors, such as health systems, population density, government policies, etc, etc. With Australia's approach and relative success (so far) of suppession, I think it will be a long time before the doors open to overseas visitors/travel. NZ will likely be a lot sooner than others due to the parallels in the approach and general closeness of our societies. Other countries with less sophisticated health systems, poor hygiene, high population density, etc will be a loooong way off. Even more developed countries with good health care won't get a look in until things get under control in their countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJK said:

And if we can believe everything we read, then maybe a commitment to better lifestyle choices could go a long way, given that 94% of the deaths to Coronavirus in New York’s largest hospital have had pre-existing conditions.

The press has been having a field day focusing on the negativity, hitting us up with sensationalist headlines and copy...how about we try to hold out a bit of hope instead of doom and freakin’ gloom?

I’d also think that international travel is a pretty important part of the global economy and that the powers at be will exhaust all avenues to get it up and running again asap...caution not-with-standing.

I’d sincerely hope that their own projections aren’t running as far out as 14 months, too.

 

I think it's important to be realistic,  I know being positive is good, but there's being positive and then there's being hopelessly optimistic. It's hard to stick to the facts when we don't know what the facts are. What is clear, and I'm stating the obvious, what is printed in the mainstream media has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I don't think the press have had a field day, focusing on the negatives, on the contrary they have been downplaying the seriousness of the virus from day 1. Dozens of articles have declared we are on the verge of discovering a vaccine. It's pretty hard to find one that actually says there might never be a vaccine, it seems 90% of Americans are keen to get back some semblance of normality, despite their sky-rocketing death rate.

We need to look further afield and for more credible sources to get more accurate information, again stating the obvious. And I haven't found an expert in infectious diseases that has said they are close to developing a vaccine for COVID-19. Unanimously, they have said a vaccine for any corona-virus will be very hard to develop and the likelihood is one won't be developed. When someone passes on this information, they are being labelled negative. Surely the media and the people declaring we are on the cusp of discovering a vaccine should be the ones being targeted for criticism!? 

 

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bRace said:

The problem with international travel will be that different countries are at different stages and that will continue due to various factors, such as health systems, population density, government policies, etc, etc. With Australia's approach and relative success (so far) of suppession, I think it will be a long time before the doors open to overseas visitors/travel. NZ will likely be a lot sooner than others due to the parallels in the approach and general closeness of our societies. Other countries with less sophisticated health systems, poor hygiene, high population density, etc will be a loooong way off. Even more developed countries with good health care won't get a look in until things get under control in their countries. 

Exactly. Ironically it might be places who are worse off that allow international travel first, e.g USA. If we carry on with the low rate of infections and deaths from the virus as we have been why the hell would we suddenly open up our doors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJK said:

 

I’d also think that international travel is a pretty important part of the global economy and that the powers at be will exhaust all avenues to get it up and running again asap...caution not-with-standing.

 

This is what has screwed the global economy, international travel. It has cost the world trillions of dollars. Why would we suddenly open up our doors when it has cost us so much? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why wouldn't they run races as "Domestic Only".

It would suit them right down to the ground to have a World Championship that only Americans can attend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep training - you think the virus and lockdowns moved quickly, the reopening will be on another scale. No country can afford to be left behind - June will be a busy month getting the world moving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bosco said:

Keep training - you think the virus and lockdowns moved quickly, the reopening will be on another scale. No country can afford to be left behind - June will be a busy month getting the world moving. 

But with the super fast and ease of infection if we unlock like you say, everyone will just spread it again. 
 

btw I agree we should just open everything up, but I can’t see some politicians having the balls to do it after blowing so much cash supporting those out of work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Why wouldn't they run races as "Domestic Only".

It would suit them right down to the ground to have a World Championship that only Americans can attend.

So true.  Its about The only way an American male could win it. 

Edited by Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

What are the chance of being able to fly out of Australia during August?

I'd say the chances are slim, with the exception of maybe NZ travel being allowed. Other individual countries may make it to an 'approved travel' list, but it all depends on how things play out in the next couple of months with infection rates and active cases, etc, etc.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, they cancelled ITU OD Champs in Edmonton, Canada on August 24th so....

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, trifun said:

Well, they cancelled ITU OD Champs in Edmonton, Canada on August 24th so....

This decision was probably based more on the diverse number of nations that pro's wanting to compete, come from, than international flight travel. 

Getting 60 male and 60 female competitors ( or however many they get on a start list for iTU races these days) from as many different countries, converging on one race destination and then have them compete alongside each other is just too risky. Better to cancel the race and wait a bit longer than leave the ITU organisation open for multiple litigation if it all went tits up.

Business international travel will be back on by August. The rest of us will have to wait a bit longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Business international travel will be back on by August. The rest of us will have to wait a bit longer.

So... the government say no international travel....but there are flights available. So what does this mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2020 at 2:00 PM, IronmanFoz said:

What are the chance of being able to fly out of Australia during August?

I think you could fly out but doubt you will be able to get back in. 
 

The virus came to us from international travel so I am sure Australia will be extra cautious now so I don’t think any international travel until very late this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2020 at 6:09 PM, Greyman said:
Edited by Flanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side note.

I cannot find the 2005 Ironman Australia on YouTube. Does anyone have a link ?

Ta

FM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Side note.

I cannot find the 2005 Ironman Australia on YouTube. Does anyone have a link ?

Ta

FM 

Nope, just the dvd.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pioneer which is a 6 day MTB race run by Ironman has been moved from Dec 20 to April 21. It is a NZ race and part of the media release was about uncertainty of overseas travel, including between NZ & Australia.

Therefore unless the race has a very high domestic (Australia) participation percentage can't see the IM races going ahead now. 

You might get one of the 3 providing domestic travel is open. They will merge the 3 to the most profitable / lowest cost one.

I will also predict that Taupo 70.3 worlds will be held as part if IMNZ in March 2021 if held at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the cabinet is meeting today to discuss opening up community sports which I guess includes races.  
I am sort of hopeful that Sunshine Coast half will be happening but still not 100% sure. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2020 at 7:52 PM, Prince said:

I think you could fly out but doubt you will be able to get back in. 
 

The virus came to us from international travel so I am sure Australia will be extra cautious now so I don’t think any international travel until very late this year. 

A woman at my wifes work wanted to go to the UK as her father is dying, took her weeks to get it sorted and needed letters from the NHS in the UK for her to get approval to fly.

She then needed to be isolated when she got there and is not sure how or when she will be able to come back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2020 at 9:20 AM, rory-dognz said:

 

I will also predict that Taupo 70.3 worlds will be held as part if IMNZ in March 2021 if held at all.

IM just announced move to next year, looks like the above could be true, except NZ borders unlikely to be open to no Oceania (ie Australia and Pacific Islands)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2020 at 7:02 PM, roxii said:

A woman at my wifes work wanted to go to the UK as her father is dying, took her weeks to get it sorted and needed letters from the NHS in the UK for her to get approval to fly.

She then needed to be isolated when she got there and is not sure how or when she will be able to come back. 

We have to get one of us back this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

IM just announced move to next year, looks like the above could be true, except NZ borders unlikely to be open to no Oceania (ie Australia and Pacific Islands)

everyone in Oz and NZ will be broke by then so not sure where the fields will come from

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

everyone in Oz and NZ will be broke by then so not sure where the fields will come from

And if you weren't broke before going to Kona, you might be afterwards...

The main cost being 2x 14 days of isolation. 1 set going into Hawaii then another on arrival back home. At probably $300 /night that's $8400 for the pleasure of being locked in a hotel room for 28 days. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add in all the unemployment and under employment, triathlons are not getting huge fields, All the old people who have money will still do it, 20 - 40 might be focussed on trying to stay employed

Edited by BarryBevan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2020 at 7:02 AM, roxii said:

A woman at my wifes work wanted to go to the UK as her father is dying, took her weeks to get it sorted and needed letters from the NHS in the UK for her to get approval to fly.

She then needed to be isolated when she got there and is not sure how or when she will be able to come back. 

How are they doing the isolation> They literally have hundreds of flights arriving a day, I think I read 15'000 people, are they just expecting them to self-isolate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...