Diamonds

GPS Sports Watch options, recommendations, deals

Hi guys,

My 910XT has finally expired and my Forerunner 630 has always been really poor for any real time accurate GPS data like current pace. 

I don't train seriously anymore but run, mtb and occasionally jump on the roadie.  

What is decent and reliable these days (with GPS) around the $300ish mark?  

Anyone using the Suunto5?  It is 45% off but some reviews state the screen brightness can't be adjusted and it is hard too see data while running.  

TIA 

I'm anti technology. 

I use an exercise book strapped to my wrist and just write it down.... *

*sarcasm. 

DC Rainmaker is very trustworthy. 

• Haha 1

On 16/04/2020 at 5:20 PM, Diamonds said:

Hi guys,

My 910XT has finally expired and my Forerunner 630 has always been really poor for any real time accurate GPS data like current pace. 

I don't train seriously anymore but run, mtb and occasionally jump on the roadie.  

What is decent and reliable these days (with GPS) around the $300ish mark?  

Anyone using the Suunto5?  It is 45% off but some reviews state the screen brightness can't be adjusted and it is hard too see data while running.  

TIA 

Suunto make awesome quality watches, their dive watches are great , but for whatever reason their running/triathlon/sports watches get average - poor reviews for a variety of reasons. Which is a shame, because it means Garmin have a monopoly, even if they produce crappy watches, people will still buy them. They have no competition and no real incentive to dump a load of money into r&d and making sure their products are of superior quality. So many people had issues with the 920XT, mine was replaced 3 times under warranty. So unfortunately I think Garmin is your only real option. My Fenix 5 has been pretty good, perhaps overkill if you aren't training much anymore. What about the 245? Note real time accurate GPS is patchy on most (all?) watches, especially pace. I'm not sure what it is, but everyone in my run group experiences the same issue with their various watches for 400m on the same section of our run. Might be a radio tower? I normally use average lap pace and pace on the same screen and laps are set to 500m for a race, 1km for training. That ends up being pretty accurate way of figuring out how fast you are going.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Suunto make awesome quality watches, their dive watches are great , but for whatever reason their running/triathlon/sports watches get average - poor reviews for a variety of reasons. Which is a shame, because it means Garmin have a monopoly, even if they produce crappy watches, people will still buy them. They have no competition and no real incentive to dump a load of money into r&d and making sure their products are of superior quality. So many people had issues with the 920XT, mine was replaced 3 times under warranty. So unfortunately I think Garmin is your only real option. My Fenix 5 has been pretty good, perhaps overkill if you aren't training much anymore. What about the 245? Note real time accurate GPS is patchy on most (all?) watches, especially pace. I'm not sure what it is, but everyone in my run group experiences the same issue with their various watches for 400m on the same section of our run. Might be a radio tower? I normally use average lap pace and pace on the same screen and laps are set to 500m for a race, 1km for training. That ends up being pretty accurate way of figuring out how fast you are going.

I have a 245. I just use it for distance and a guide to pace. Is my second one after first one stopped after warranty period and Garmin sold me another one with a significant discount.

I've used Polar since day one, first the Edge, then XTrainer, a 625X and now the V800. Next will be the Vantage V. If you want a more basic version, the Vantage M has all the features plus there are plenty of other Polar models with a variety of features.

On 18/04/2020 at 11:39 AM, zed said:

Note real time accurate GPS is patchy on most (all?) watches, especially pace. I'm not sure what it is, but everyone in my run group experiences the same issue with their various watches for 400m on the same section of our run. Might be a radio tower? I normally use average lap pace and pace on the same screen and laps are set to 500m for a race, 1km for training. That ends up being pretty accurate way of figuring out how fast you are going.

It is probably the 5G stream of Covid that it interfering with your GPS signal.😋

• Haha 1

Ended up with a Garmin 735XT which is a couple of hundred off at Rebel.  Paid $329.  It gets mixed reviews.  Was hoping the wrist hr would at least be reasonably ballpark but it doesnt appear to be.  

21 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Ended up with a Garmin 735XT which is a couple of hundred off at Rebel.  Paid $329.  It gets mixed reviews.  Was hoping the wrist hr would at least be reasonably ballpark but it doesnt appear to be.  

What do you compare the heart rate to? Do you check it manually. And if incorrect do you know if it is consistent?

5 hours ago, CootaGC said:

What do you compare the heart rate to? Do you check it manually. And if incorrect do you know if it is consistent?

Just years of knowing myself.  That post was after a local hike on our biggest peak and I was blowing hard after a hundred steep stairs.  Easily would have been 150+ but watch had me at 98 still.

I did my first run with it this arvo and it was pretty good.  HR vs RPE seemed pretty decent.  Maybe I wasn't sweating enough to aid good conduction on the hike.  Much happier with the watch after today.

Rebel has some of the Garmins on sale, 50% off.

15 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Maybe I wasn't sweating enough to aid good conduction on the hike.  

The wrist heart rate is measured using light. You do not need a sweaty electrical connection for them to work.

18 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

The wrist heart rate is measured using light. You do not need a sweaty electrical connection for them to work.

Do you have darker skin?

21 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

I find that I have to have the band of my 935 "tight" to get accurate HR.

I find that the HR on my 935 is OK (ish) for running but completely useless for cycling. at least you can use Bluetooth AND ANT+ HR straps.

935 is a great watch  but the 940 is out and is probably better. Lookout for people selling a 935 and saying it is a 940 ((and selling at a higher price) - they are physically different on the back - compare the back photos with 935 and 940 to make sure it really is a 940

Got the 735xt also - they are a bit fragile in build - trashed a couple but ok for the $.

Edited by symo

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

I find that the HR on my 935 is OK (ish) for running but completely useless for cycling. at least you can use Bluetooth AND ANT+ HR straps.

935 is a great watch  but the 940 is out and is probably better. Lookout for people selling a 935 and saying it is a 940 ((and selling at a higher price) - they are physically different on the back - compare the back photos with 935 and 940 to make sure it really is a 940

any thoughts why the heart rate may be more accurate ish for one activity and not the other?  Seems strange.  I have never checked mine just go by what the wrist heart rate indicates so not sure if accurate but seems consistent at least.  If I'm pushing it whether it be running or spin classes etc usually around the 160-170 mark.  It isn't a big issue for me as I do not train to heart rate but just interested.

3 hours ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

racist

You do realise the watch uses light to measure changes in blood flow through your skin. Some studies have shown they are less accurate if you have darker skin.

17 hours ago, CootaGC said:

any thoughts why the heart rate may be more accurate ish for one activity and not the other?  Seems strange.  I have never checked mine just go by what the wrist heart rate indicates so not sure if accurate but seems consistent at least.  If I'm pushing it whether it be running or spin classes etc usually around the 160-170 mark.  It isn't a big issue for me as I do not train to heart rate but just interested.

Yes, I think it is pretty clear. The vibration in your wrist when riding on the road is quite severe, probably a lot more than most people realise. (I found this out when playing around with accelerometers mounted on a bike's handlebars) Whereas when running your wrist moves around a lot but it doesn't have the same "sharp" vibration. It would be very difficult to detect the tiny differences in light intensity (such as when a "wave" of blood passes) when the whole watch is bouncing around. But if you lift your arm off the bars for a while and just let it hang for a while it should start to get real again.

Edited by PeterW
  • Like 3

So I'm looking for a new gps watch and I had pretty well settled on getting a Forerunner 245. I was happy to wait a month or 2 for a good price then this offer comes along.

Forerunner 245 Music for AUD399

I don't even want music with my watch but this price is heaps better than the non-music version.

Why are they screwing with my head by offering me something I don't want at such an appealing price?

Possibly because a new version is about to come out?  And you know, newer is always better!

I was thinking of getting one of these new fangled things and had settled on the Forerunner 25. Don't want a HRM. Just the cheapest GPS watch that will enable me to look at where I've been on a map on a computer. Will the 25 let me do that?

K

Back in the international no training day thread I think Manuel Labour was explaining how he enjoyed they opportunity to revert to spreadsheeting his training 🤔

Edited by trilobite

The 935 was advertised for $299 today. I think it was a mistake as it reverted back up to $399 after it was shared in the Garmin group on Facebook.