Jump to content
dazaau

Would you use a phone app to track covid-19

Would you use a phone app to track covid-19?  

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Would you use a phone app to track covid-19?

    • Yes
      10
    • No
      6


Recommended Posts

I not arguing I’m just saying what I thought the govt stated metric was. 
in saying that though even from a low base exponential growth can make some crazy numbers occur quickly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

No, no.  He was quite clear.  He only needs proof if YOU post it 😋

Haha. Well he is a farktard despite I usually do. I didn’t once and he becomes a wanker he is 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, roxii said:

I not arguing I’m just saying what I thought the govt stated metric was. 
in saying that though even from a low base exponential growth can make some crazy numbers occur quickly 

exactly.  remember back in March we started with low numbers, now 90 odd deaths later....

All the experts in the field of infectious diseases say a second wave is a major concern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paul Every said:

A few states I've visited in the US require you to show ID when purchasing alcohol. Utah for one, but possibly some neighbouring states as well.

I asked why on several occasions. "Because it's state law."

"I get that, but why? What does it ensure or prevent?"

"But it's state law."

Never did find out why.

What year was this paul. Been skiing over there recently and never had to provide 'anthing'. Did you see what I did there?

The only thing I know about Alcohol in Utah is ...last drinks 01:00am.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 days after launch.

No legal agreements.

And its still Not working. 
 

its a delay and powertrip tactic used by scomo clearly and the committee is seeing thru the bullshit apps use   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost like Apple, Google or Samsung released it!  They always break something each os release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

12 days after launch.

No legal agreements.

And its still Not working. 
 

its a delay and powertrip tactic used by scomo clearly and the committee is seeing thru the bullshit apps use   

 

 

This chick has no idea and is honestly shouldn’t be a senator.  It’s embarrassing 

Everyone knows it isn’t live yet and the legislation, which includes any legal agreements , hasn’t passed in the house.  They meet next week   Once passed, it will be ‘working’.  
 

The rules on privacy are being finalised, along with final IT testing," a Department of Health spokesman said.

"The system will be operational next week ahead of the decision on possible easing of restrictions.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-02/coronavirus-app-currently-not-fully-operational/12208924

Edited by Prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange they're finalising the rules around privacy after they've spent the last 2 weeks telling us exactly what they are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

What year was this paul. Been skiing over there recently and never had to provide 'anthing'. Did you see what I did there?

The only thing I know about Alcohol in Utah is ...last drinks 01:00am.

2007.

Too long ago. Time passes very quickly. I really like Utah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Prince said:

Everyone knows it isn’t live yet and the legislation, which includes any legal agreements , hasn’t passed in the house.  They meet next week   Once passed, it will be ‘working’.

Actually no they don't. Ask around and most people believe the adverts and that it will keep them safe - this is possibly true once it's working but the ads make no mention that it isn't operational at this point. So at the moment having it makes no difference. I see also that Apple is going to update its OS so that the blue tooth functionality works without the user having to manually switch it on.  Again, that release hasn't been put out as yet.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile at the government inquiry 

the app is so bullsh1t as is the rubbish Morrison is spinning  

he is out of his depth  

 

F34B695B-E8B9-400C-836A-9FCEC0814E90.jpeg

C98B3139-6955-41DC-9CDA-19E7E54FCAFE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Peter said:

Meanwhile at the government inquiry 

the app is so bullsh1t as is the rubbish Morrison is spinning  

he is out of his depth  

If you're worried about the US Gov having access to this tiny little bit of data because it is hosted by AWS, how did you feel about them hosting the next census?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If you're worried about the US Gov having access to this tiny little bit of data because it is hosted by AWS, how did you feel about them hosting the next census?

Hang on.  I said ages ago that amazon had all the data and you said it was on Australian servers so that’s not possible.  
 

now in a legal senate inquiry they can’t 100% say that the USA wont have access to the data.  
 

im not going back to find the exact quote but I said something like that’s not how cloud data works.  
 

so how about you admit you are wrong rather than the bullshit quote above. 

Edited by Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Hang on.  I said ages ago that amazon had all the data and you said it was on Australian servers so that’s not possible.  
 

now in a legal senate inquiry they can’t 100% say that the USA wont have access to the data.  
 

im not going back to find the exact quote but I said something like that’s not how cloud data works.  
 

so how about you admit you are wrong rather than the bullshit quote above. 

Amazon has the data, on servers that are located in Data Centres in Australia.

At this moment, they are exempt from Patriot Laws because they are on Aus soil. There is legislation that the Aus Gov wants to put through that will nullify that exemption, but they are also looking at specific legislation to make certain data, like this, exempt from the new legislation, and therefore stay exempt from the Patriot Laws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooooo.  The government isn’t concerned if your data isn’t private.  
 

blah blah Facebook google etc...  

but people are happy to allow them access. 
 

but don’t want the Australian government to have private data, and if they say this they get yelled down.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Amazon has the data, on servers that are located in Data Centres in Australia.

If you know who to talk to you can find the AWS Datacentres in secret locations in and around Sydney

I'd suggest trying the following...

  • SYD1: Equinix SYD3 in Alexandria.
  • SYD4: Global Switch Ultimo.
  • SYD5: Fujitsu Western Sydney Datacentre.
  • SYD6: Iseek-KDC Gore Hill, Artarmon.
  • SYD7: Fujitsu Sydney Datacentre, Homebush.
  • SYD61: NextDC S1, Macquarie Park.

But don't tell anybody....its a secret 🤡

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

If you know who to talk to you can find the AWS Datacentres in secret locations in and around Sydney

I'd suggest trying the following...

  • SYD1: Equinix SYD3 in Alexandria.
  • SYD4: Global Switch Ultimo.
  • SYD5: Fujitsu Western Sydney Datacentre.
  • SYD6: Iseek-KDC Gore Hill, Artarmon.
  • SYD7: Fujitsu Sydney Datacentre, Homebush.
  • SYD61: NextDC S1, Macquarie Park.

But don't tell anybody....its a secret 🤡

I'm actually one of the ones you can talk to to find out. ;) 

And it's not just Sydney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm actually one of the ones you can talk to to find out. ;) 

And it's not just Sydney

Don't bring facts into it Ex

He doesn't like that sort of thing  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are running out of excuses not to download it.  Meanwhile, the rest of us will be sitting in our cosy restaurants, cinemas, gyms etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Prince said:

Meanwhile, the rest of us will be sitting in our cosy restaurants, cinemas, gyms etc.  

None of those things appeal to me 😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince said:

They are running out of excuses not to download it.  Meanwhile, the rest of us will be sitting in our cosy restaurants, cinemas, gyms etc.  

You seem to be ignoring the fact that it doesn't work as yet.  Are you thinking of a solo visit?  And don't get me wrong, I have downloaded it I'm just incredibly frustrated at poorly implemented strategies which seem based solely on trying to be seen to be doing something.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, truck said:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that it doesn't work as yet.  Are you thinking of a solo visit?  And don't get me wrong, I have downloaded it I'm just incredibly frustrated at poorly implemented strategies which seem based solely on trying to be seen to be doing something.

From what I was reading this morning, the app itself is working (unless you've got an iphone in which case it might be working) and collecting contact information but the back end server systems and processes havn't been officially switched on.  

So its collecting but you can't do anything with it. Or in other words "working but useless"

I also notice the mention that theres been at least 1 update to the app since it was first released with another scheduled for next week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, truck said:

You seem to be ignoring the fact that it doesn't work as yet.  Are you thinking of a solo visit?  And don't get me wrong, I have downloaded it I'm just incredibly frustrated at poorly implemented strategies which seem based solely on trying to be seen to be doing something.

Agreed, but if it does get approval by the states tomorrow as they were saying, it still means someone who tests positive today will be able to have the data downloaded after the agreement is signed, and they can trace their contacts from the last 2 weeks, or since they downloaded it. So it is still collecting data that can potentially save lives in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently the data privacy is protected by a ministerial decree. Legislation to cover data privacy for the app will be tabled in parliament next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed, but if it does get approval by the states tomorrow as they were saying, it still means someone who tests positive today will be able to have the data downloaded after the agreement is signed, and they can trace their contacts from the last 2 weeks, or since they downloaded it. So it is still collecting data that can potentially save lives in the future.

If we believe this article then I it doesn't matter what the States agree, it's all down to Apple upgrading bluetooth functionality and, potentially, ditching your older iphone to get a new one

https://www.theage.com.au/technology/the-covidsafe-app-is-not-fit-for-purpose-on-iphones-20200506-p54qjk.html

The main issue? It doesn't always complete digital "handshakes" with nearby phones that also have the app installed if it isn't running in the foreground (on the screen at all times) or has been installed on an older iPhone model. Additionally, it may not work at all when the screen is locked. Android phones seem OK, but more than 50 per cent of smartphones in Australia are iPhones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 4:25 PM, Peter said:

Meanwhile in missouri

Currently 8000 plus active cases 

351 deaths in the state. 
Restaurants, cafes, and even concerts all good from tomorrow. 
 

 

And then when they did  

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/06/missouri-coronavirus-economy-governor-mike-parson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and then an expert cones along and says it all ok, 

So the theorists then find a reason to discredit the expert. 
 

I think it should be called “conspiracy creep” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, roxii said:

...and then an expert cones along and says it all ok, 

For now.  

The security review for a similar app in the UK raised the point that the app was asking for location services permission (that its not using) but once granted could be utilised in a subsequent update without the user knowing.   Not saying it'll happen here but without constant reviews of the code, you can't know for sure what its doing.

Living in Queensland you tend to get suspicious of a government that goes "Don't you worry about that"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The state government agreements are now in place and contact tracing can start.

The source code has been released.

The legislation protecting the data has been passed. 

Still issues with the app working fully on an iPhone. Waiting for a fix from Apple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2020 at 12:23 AM, -- AJ -- said:

For now.  

The security review for a similar app in the UK raised the point that the app was asking for location services permission (that its not using) but once granted could be utilised in a subsequent update without the user knowing.   Not saying it'll happen here but without constant reviews of the code, you can't know for sure what its doing.

Living in Queensland you tend to get suspicious of a government that goes "Don't you worry about that"

That's why it was only being trialled on the IoW. It hasn't been approved yet (that I'm aware of but I don't watch the news)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Still issues with the app working fully on an iPhone. Waiting for a fix from Apple.

This phrasing annoys me (I know it's not your fault Ironnerd.)

The app was designed with a known flaw, but instead of blaming the designers or the government, everyone is saying Apple have to modify the way they do stuff to suit the app.

What a backwards way of doing things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tyno said:

This phrasing annoys me (I know it's not your fault Ironnerd.)

The app was designed with a known flaw, but instead of blaming the designers or the government, everyone is saying Apple have to modify the way they do stuff to suit the app.

What a backwards way of doing things.

Seriously?  Realistically, its straight from the IT Project Delivery 101 textbook.  

The tracking functionality API promised by both Google and Apple wasn't scheduled for delivery till sometime this month (announcement) at the absolute earliest. Apple beta version was made available to a limited number of testers on the 29th April but I can't find any details about whether its been officially released yet nor can I find whether Google has followed suite.   Add 3-4 weeks for build, QA, security testing and user test (well sensible IT developers would allow that sort of timeframe) of the covidsafe app itself which would mean that the app wouldn't have been available till sometime late May or early June.   

And even that is assuming that Joe Public has updated their phone to the new operating system version that has the API. So that the covidsafe app can use it.

Which in real terms means this weekend you'd be still sitting on your couch watching reruns of Friends instead of enjoying the relaxation of restrictions with friends.

Bottom line is that they put out what they could, when they could, with the tools they had available at the time so that you could have a little more freedom.  This means that they can now develop the next version with the API without the excess pressure from ScoMo (who is being pressured by Joe Public ) to push it out ASAP.  Which in turn means they have a better chance of getting it right....first time....hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Seriously?  Realistically, its straight from the IT Project Delivery 101 textbook.  

 

Don’t get me started on THAT too 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are other states making cafes/ pubs/ eateries take down identifying particulars for all patrons not doing takeaway?

wouldn't that be a perfect example of what the app is supposed to be for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Are other states making cafes/ pubs/ eateries take down identifying particulars for all patrons not doing takeaway?

wouldn't that be a perfect example of what the app is supposed to be for?

Yes. In Qld they are.  Spoke to some cafes today as we have several in the shopping centres.  They said most customers have no issue but a few grumble bums put up a fight and have been very rude. 
I am not sure why the app doesn’t suffice but I don’t know what the fuss is about giving your name and address.  I mean I bet most of those people have a Woolworths or Coles loyalty card.   I guess if your a drug dealer you may not want to give your name and address 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Prince said:

I am not sure why the app doesn’t suffice but I don’t know what the fuss is about giving your name and address.  I mean I bet most of those people have a Woolworths or Coles loyalty card.   I guess if your a drug dealer you may not want to give your name and address 

1. Yes thats what the app should be for but No its not going successfully manage to achieve that because of numerous reasons that have all been covered  in the past 330+ posts.

2. Most people have absolutely no concept of the real functionality of a loyalty scheme and the value of the data that is produced from them.

3. If you're a drug dealer you'd avoid suspicion and simply give somebody elses name and number.  Just pick one from your hundreds of fake ids.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince said:

Yes. In Qld they are.  

Except the one I went to apparently. No name and number required. 

But considering the girl on the counter needed a calculator to work out how much 2 coffees cost and then struggled to  give me the right change from $50, writing down names and numbers may have been a bit beyond her abilities.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

NZ releases an app today

 

Only today....sounds like that place over there is a shambles. 

Though.... the NZ ski season is going ahead BAU.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

NZ releases an app today

 

But folk are having trouble loading it on their phones.

Your old mobile phone could be worth up to £1000 due to growing ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Only today....sounds like that place over there is a shambles. 

Though.... the NZ ski season is going ahead BAU.

The thing is when you are locked down and can't go out, no need to trace.

I can't download as not available for android or older iPhones (sound familiar?)

The slopes are going to be great with only NZer on them, no ques

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But folk are having trouble loading it on their phones.

Your old mobile phone could be worth up to £1000 due to growing ...

Well played son!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But folk are having trouble loading it on their phones.

Your old mobile phone could be worth up to £1000 due to growing ...

They don't make them like this anymore.  Best phone I've ever owned.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...