Peter

Triathlon australia refund or credit

I wonder if we will be getting a credit or refund from Triathlon Australia in the near future. 

my gym suspended fees   
Cycling Australia suspended membership 

but triathlon Australia?

anyone heard anything from TA?

im sure some people will be in a situation where they need every cent they can get 

Edited by Peter

Don't hold your breath. They would go broke in a heartbeat if they did that.

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

But then we wouldn't be insured Peter. You know, insurance, a key benefit of joining TA...

I see what you did there.  haha

47 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

But then we wouldn't be insured Peter. You know, insurance, a key benefit of joining TA...

Think the TA team is still in a bunker somewhere trying to figure out how to respond to when someone asks about insurance, and they give the usual "Have you read the policy on our website" and the person says yes, I have read it.  When they finally figure out how to sell it in 10 years they may realise Covid-19 occurred

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Don't hold your breath. They would go broke in a heartbeat if they did that.

Possibly not the worse outcome.  Taekwondo Australia went bankrupt around 2006 or so, the sport still operates, still has state and national championships and even sends an Olympic team every 4 years and teams to international comps.  A new body pretty much set up by the clubs run the sport now and works alot more efficiently.  Similar number of competitors in both sports so it can be done

so a Tri Australia want u to pay your fees & get nothing in return for your money..

So it’s the same as any other year

• Like 2

I’ll put in a call tomorrow to get their side of the story. 

anyone got the exact date they removed sanctions from all races? 

If I were in their position, I'd be arguing that they are still providing service via insurance coverage because people are permitted to exercise. 

It's a bit flimsy, but I wonder if that is what they'll say to you when you ring Peter. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

If I were in their position, I'd be arguing that they are still providing service via insurance coverage because people are permitted to exercise. 

It's a bit flimsy, but I wonder if that is what they'll say to you when you ring Peter. 

If they go that route they won’t get people joining in the future. 
people will just pay one day license 

It's always bugged me having to join TriNSW (or Cycling NSW in years past) re the insurance etc. Would far prefer to pay the whole $240 annual fee to the local club (rather than just the $90?) and enjoy the club scene. Really don't see any value for money coming from TriNSW. I'm sure clubs could source public liability insurance themselves ($800/yr for the classic motorcycle club I'm with, 80+ members). Wouldn't take too many members in a club to cover that from the $150 component that typically goes to TriNSW each year. Might not be all over the total $$'s scene or what goes into TriNSW, but my personal experience this season is the local club races are very well organised, a great hit out and a heap of fun. I guess the sanctioning by TriNSW gives the insurance coverage for the club races but as above, this can be sourced separately.

Its what A lot of training groups do. 
pay a one day lic when racing and pay the entire amount to a training group 

If TA do give a refund, (which I very much doubt) the money should somehow go to the smaller companies and clubs that are running races...  e.g. EE.  They must be bleeding out the eyeballs 

I don’t think they should give a refund personally. But they should pause everyone’s membership and restart it when races do. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

If they go that route they won’t get people joining in the future. 
people will just pay one day license 

from about 1996 - 2017 all i ever paid was the one day licence. Cost me about 40-60 per year (2-3 races). And it really annoyed me that I had to give Tri Aust money. But now that I have rejoined a club after all these years I have to pay the full amount.

What will happen to all the Athletes that TA has been supporting for ITU etc for next year - will the government still be handing over cash due to it being an Olympic year? or will the pot be empty from all the keeper payments?

6 hours ago, bulldog said:

What will happen to all the Athletes that TA has been supporting for ITU etc for next year - will the government still be handing over cash due to it being an Olympic year? or will the pot be empty from all the keeper payments?

If the govt let them go onto keeper payments they would be receiving more than they have in the past. If their funding is cut they should be allowed to claim these payments as covid caused the races they win prize money from (their wage) to be cancelled. Kind of similar to many other jobs being lost or on hold, except it appears many are still trying their best to train through all this ready for Olympic selection to begin again once races start back up.

1 hour ago, Trier said:

If the govt let them go onto keeper payments they would be receiving more than they have in the past. If their funding is cut they should be allowed to claim these payments as covid caused the races they win prize money from (their wage) to be cancelled. Kind of similar to many other jobs being lost or on hold, except it appears many are still trying their best to train through all this ready for Olympic selection to begin again once races start back up.

Fringe sport, Prize money is not guarantee nor is performance. Are they on a contracted salary. If so...then that may be different. 

Pro's need to join the unemployment queue like everyone else.

And I think we are getting 'off topic' already :(

• Thanks 1

If my membership is frozen / refunded, how will I claim my physio expenses if I fall off my windtrainer whilst training?

43 minutes ago, Cranky said:

If my membership is frozen / refunded, how will I claim my physio expenses if I fall off my windtrainer whilst training?

Noone will admit to that anyway.... So i think your safe ;)

I am also a member of USAT, no refund or membership pause. USAT membership only costs $50 per year, which is super cheap compared to TA.

17 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I am also a member of USAT, no refund or membership pause. USAT membership only costs $50 per year, which is super cheap compared to TA.

I dunno, $50 USD is about $400 AUD at the moment isn't it?  :lol: 

So TA believe the insurance component is excellent and important in these times.  

no pause. 
LOL 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

USAT membership also comes with some really good discount codes 

58 minutes ago, Peter said:

So TA believe the insurance component is excellent and important in these times.  

no pause. 
LOL 😂

Yep of course they do. 

21 hours ago, Peter said:

haha! Did you end up ringing them Peter? Is that how the ended up justifying it? 

Technically, there are probably ways to get a refund if you didnt  get what you paid for.

Edited by dazmuzza

Its just what they said when I called.

I'm cool with it but still think they will struggle next season.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Its just what they said when I called.

I'm cool with it but still think they will struggle next season.

Yeah, I can't see people queuing up to renew their membership when it reopens.

Nope.  Smart people will enter as close to the race as possible on the one day licence.

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, I can't see people queuing up to renew their membership when it reopens.

I wonder if people remember whether they ticked the auto renewal box.

FM

USAT's insurance is only good for sanctioned events, on the day of the event. And the athlete "excess" medical coverage only kicks in after you first file a claim with your primary medical insurance, assuming you have any. Club insurance is separate.

Only a 5% discount for June and July. That's it. Considering we may not be racing until October it's a pretty raw deal.

Thing is if you delay joining up to December 31 you will still pay the same amount, unless they do the discount after Jan 1 like they did this year, which was 30% I think. I probably won't race until at least January, not sure if anyone will.

I'm going to continue being a TO and do my 3 races so I can get my free membership.

I wonder if TA actually being bankrupted would be a bad thing at this stage. 

Look away now Stikman.......

I've got to say, as a club committee member, TA/TWA almost seemed to go out of their way to ensure we couldn't conduct events for our members to keep them engaged during recent times. They really showed little support to members and clubs. If not for the club, I would be unlikely to renew.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

I wonder if TA actually being bankrupted would be a bad thing at this stage. 

Agree 

its a Bad situation for them but the only advantage now in joining is the insurance which as we all know is basically useless. 

holding off and paying one day licensing is best for your pocket 

I probably wont renew for 20/21. Loved the Club scene in 19/20 and will miss that but who knows when it will resume. Once that's known will look at signing up but given it will still probably be the full amount, not likely. If there is the discount post January 1, will reconsider as maybe bulk of club races will be in the second half given the inevitable delay to the season kick off. As I've mentioned elsewhere, happy to pay the local club $$'s but really see little value in the TNSW component. The insurance coverage and shop discounts offered are no value to me.

50 minutes ago, Katz said:

Look away now Stikman.......

I've got to say, as a club committee member, TA/TWA almost seemed to go out of their way to ensure we couldn't conduct events for our members to keep them engaged during recent times. They really showed little support to members and clubs. If not for the club, I would be unlikely to renew.

Apparently each state association gave their position regarding membership fees up to TA. Not sure what happened, but ours were lobbying for at least a 2-3 month delay in the start of the membership year (so pay from September 1 or October 1). As far as I am aware our prez was actively engaged in the meetings that occurred, in turn the rest of the mgt comm were updated.

We've not bothered trying to keep the engagement going, with all the bans early on in NSW there was no point, now it's almost winter and end of season anyway (Club Champs would have been last weekend).

The one thing TA are doing at the moment is the return to sport plan (I'm also a TO), but I really question the idea of running a race of at least 300 (which is where the commercial players start) when there is no vaccine or effective treatment. There are LOT of congregation points at races here.

If I was not on a club committee I would probably reconsider my need for a membership this year and sling the $60 for club membership into the account as a donation.

Edited by MissJess

Yeah, I've just been reading the World Triathlon guidelines for event organisers and there doesn't seem to be too much effective risk reduction. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Just had a read, looks like either TA are going to have to come up with the risk reduction plan or we as event organisers will have to.

I'm concerned about running a rolling start at a club race, it's a tough call when you only have a certain number of timing mats and cable 🤣

For the first time in a very long time, I may not be a TA member. 

8 hours ago, MissJess said:

Only a 5% discount for June and July. That's it. Considering we may not be racing until October it's a pretty raw deal.

Thing is if you delay joining up to December 31 you will still pay the same amount, unless they do the discount after Jan 1 like they did this year, which was 30% I think. I probably won't race until at least January, not sure if anyone will.

I'm going to continue being a TO and do my 3 races so I can get my free membership.

Would you be racing over the winter period normally? Unless you are from far north Qland I doubt it. Us southern states don't race again until much later in the year normally anyway. Think of the poor Tasmanians who have always paid a yearly membership but don't  usually race until late november and only until end of March due to weather constraints, do they complain of the inequality in their membership every single year?  No, pay up everyone and support the sport you love. 

I can agree with them not offering a refund in 2019/20. After all, most if the racing season was really over by the end of March.  And TA would have paid their expenses, such as insurance premiums.....) 

But 5% for 2020/21 is t attractive, given most if the season opportunities will be lost  y the time, realistically, racing resumes.

I wont be joining off my own bat,  but will try and TO races if they start. 

Small club races were never really accessible for me anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Trier said:

Would you be racing over the winter period normally? Unless you are from far north Qland I doubt it. Us southern states don't race again until much later in the year normally anyway. Think of the poor Tasmanians who have always paid a yearly membership but don't  usually race until late november and only until end of March due to weather constraints, do they complain of the inequality in their membership every single year?  No, pay up everyone and support the sport you love. 

While I acknowledge the point regarding timing you make, the other aspect is, what exactly are they really doing for us? Individually and as clubs. Our club was not supported during the down-time. Not at all. What are they giving us except insurance (which really lacks any substance), the ability to wear green and gold (at a very high cost) and for Stikman, the ability to participate in Interclubs which is "the best race of the year" in his humble opnion.

32 minutes ago, Katz said:

While I acknowledge the point regarding timing you make, the other aspect is, what exactly are they really doing for us? Individually and as clubs. Our club was not supported during the down-time. Not at all. What are they giving us except insurance (which really lacks any substance), the ability to wear green and gold (at a very high cost) and for Stikman, the ability to participate in Interclubs which is "the best race of the year" in his humble opnion.

What were you expecting them to do for your club when many staff were stood down and forced to take leave? This was/is an unprecedented pandemic situation, ppl were in lockdown and isolating at home, Nothing was normal. Look to the future, support businesses and sporting bodies and anything Australian you can, if you financially can, this is not the time for "Me" but for we. As they say, we are all in this together.

10 minutes ago, Trier said:

What were you expecting them to do for your club when many staff were stood down and forced to take leave? This was/is an unprecedented pandemic situation, ppl were in lockdown and isolating at home, Nothing was normal. Look to the future, support businesses and sporting bodies and anything Australian you can, if you financially can, this is not the time for "Me" but for we. As they say, we are all in this together.

Hang on a minute. Cool your jets.

In our case, and in plenty of other cases, TA/TWA all but actively roadblocked the attempts of clubs to keep members actively engaged. Other sporting bodies rolled with the punches. TA/TWA failed to do so. Clubs were trying to keep the sport alive. The clubs. And they did not get support form the governing bodies. The only support required was to effectively stay out of the way and they failed to do so.

And in any event, my point was, what do they offer us as individuals and clubs outside a pandemic situation, other than the few things mentioned in my previous post.

Edited by Katz

I reckon they are going to seriously struggle with memberships for 20/21.

Maybe catch a few autorenews 

What will be the snowball effect on the future? Could be catastrophic really for a lot of aspects, especially when the event management companies are hemorrhaging as well, so maybe fewer events rolling out in the season to keep engagement and get one day fees