Bored@work

Work from home - funny things

First time I have ever worked from home & these are some of the funny things I have noticed

- I’m still late for work 

- was late for a conference call with the US.  ... I blamed traffic

- I haven’t worn pants in over a week 

- the dog barks at voices over Skype, but not the tv

- my wife can’t believe how much I get paid for what I do

- My kitchen chairs are horrible to sit on

- I look forward to the Ellen show each day 

- I’m saving a fortune not buying coffees & lunch 

- I get more done at home because I’m not off talking crap

- I need a candy jar like the one in reception

- I can figure a lot of things out for myself & don’t need to ask others. 

- once this quarantine is over, I’ll start going for lunch time walks 

- heaps of meetings really could have been sorted with a quick email

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My management peers get a good laugh out of my wife singing loudly as she wanders by during our daily stand-ups.

• Haha 3

What used to be a 5 minute chat is now 15 minutes - people just want to talk to someone else.  This goes to even longer when someone lives on their own

• Like 2

Am all for WFH. It is a far better atmosphere with our most annoying staff all over it.

My wife now WFH and won’t get her hi vis uniform on, she prefers to wear her LJ.  

ive taught her how to use some of our systems at work (she’s in maintenance and I’m in Ops)

she listens to crap music and taps her foot out of time with the song and can’t sing

she is also late for work

Her posture could be improved I think

she likes an ice coffee

she reckons I’m annoying her and has told me to go fishing 

image.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

First time I have ever worked from home & these are some of the funny things I have noticed

- I’m still late for work 

- was late for a conference call with the US.  ... I blamed traffic

- I haven’t worn pants in over a week 

- the dog barks at voices over Skype, but not the tv

- my wife can’t believe how much I get paid for what I do

- My kitchen chairs are horrible to sit on

- I look forward to the Ellen show each day 

- I’m saving a fortune not buying coffees & lunch 

- I get more done at home because I’m not off talking crap

- I need a candy jar like the one in reception

- I can figure a lot of things out for myself & don’t need to ask others. 

- once this quarantine is over, I’ll start going for lunch time walks 

- heaps of meetings really could have been sorted with a quick email

Yep.

I was going to agree with the talking crap one, but Stikman is great for talking crap with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KieranR said:

image.jpg

I recognise the web page on the RH screen 😀. As you both work for RT do you have to start every conversation with your wife with a safety share?

Trying to come up with safety shares when you are working from home is difficult. Today when using the scissors I almost cut my finger ......

Yesterday I got a very stern email from Safety about not completing my CRM's for March. There are not a lot of critical risks in my home office to assess!

2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

I recognise the web page on the RH screen 😀. As you both work for RT do you have to start every conversation with your wife with a safety share?

Trying to come up with safety shares when you are working from home is difficult. Today when using the scissors I almost cut my finger ......

Yesterday I got a very stern email from Safety about not completing my CRM's for March. There are not a lot of critical risks in my home office to assess!

She is always saying stuff like “don’t kick the footy inside” so I guess yeah she does start most with a safety share 😂😂😂😂

CRM’s ah yeah.....😂  I rarely check my emails so who knows who I have them from.

do you have CCC’s also? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KieranR said:

My wife now WFH and won’t get her hi vis uniform on, she prefers to wear her LJ.  

ive taught her how to use some of our systems at work (she’s in maintenance and I’m in Ops)

she listens to crap music and taps her foot out of time with the song and can’t sing

she is also late for work

Her posture could be improved I think

she likes an ice coffee

she reckons I’m annoying her and has told me to go fishing 

My wife is 2m away on the other end of the kitchen table and can type like a proper typist (her first training was advanced secretarial course at TAFE 36yrs ago, including shorthand).  She types about 5,000 words a farkin second, and bloody loudly.  Pisses me off with my 2 finger one word a minute, very quiet efforts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I still put my watch (until the battery died yesterday) and earrings on everyday 

I wear a nice work top

I still cut my carrot up for morning tea and pack my afternoo tea in the morning

I do take my lunch outside

Love having my music on

Don't miss the annoying and endless chit chat

Do miss the photocopier

• Like 1

The two red belly blacks in the 5 metres between my office in the granny flat and the house over the last few days aren't very ****in funny

Edited by lawman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lawman said:

The two red belly blacks in the 5 metres between my office in the granny flat and the house over the last few days aren't very ****in funny

They're the nice guys. 

Browns, now that's a worry.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There the nice guys. 

Browns, now that's a worry.

Yep, you can have those buggers. 

2 hours ago, lawman said:

Way safer than having to drive to work, even without factoring in covid.

• Like 1

I tried convincing my kids today that it’s not actually school holidays yet and school work still needs to be done......they don’t believe me the little buggars 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, skel said:

I still put my watch (until the battery died yesterday) and earrings on everyday 

I wear a nice work top

I still cut my carrot up for morning tea and pack my afternoo tea in the morning

I do take my lunch outside

Love having my music on

Don't miss the annoying and endless chit chat

Do miss the photocopier

All this above, I’m the type of person who would still put my uniform on if I was WFH; I’d probably swap the carrot for donuts though 😂

• Haha 1

wearing trackies and ugg boots is better than wearing work pants and steel cap boots, Just have to remember not to roll too far back on my chair when doing video calls

Im at work but the kids are home schooling on their own. 

So far my son (13) has learned to kick flip his skateboard, daughter (18)  baked a toilet paper cake and dyed her brothers hair blue. 

2020-04-05 19.09.22.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Couldn't find any jocks this morning...............which is ironic as I haven't been wearing them 😏

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Couldn't find any jocks this morning...............which is ironic as I haven't been wearing them 😏

Some people have posted a hack where you turn a pair of jocks into a face mask.

But your jocks,,,,,,,Hmmmmmm?  :fartnew2:

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, roxii said:

Apparently you can make a mask out of a bra. But you have to make sure you put the left cup over your face, otherwise you will look like a right tit.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, roxii said:

But your jocks,,,,,,,Hmmmmmm?  :fartnew2:

Yeah, I wouldn't wanna put my jocks anywhere near my face either..........Happy to put a pair in a zipplock bag and post up though if you are desperate 😝

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, KieranR said:

She is always saying stuff like “don’t kick the footy inside” so I guess yeah she does start most with a safety share 😂😂😂😂

CRM’s ah yeah.....😂  I rarely check my emails so who knows who I have them from.

do you have CCC’s also? 

No CCC's for me. Initially I had to do CCFV's which I thought added a lot of value. Now I have to do CCV which is mainly checking procedures and standards.

I'm on holidays so can't comment.  I wonder if, in a week and a half, I can post to this thread..... watch this space.

• Like 1

Its NOT funny when your boss drops a not so subtle hint that I should be working this weekend if I want to still have a job when my probation expires next month.  😡

• Sad 4

17 minutes ago, Tyno said:

That's crap AJ.

Yeah and  there nothing I can do about it.  I'm not in any position to be difficult.  Mrs AJ just had her income slashed by (according to our figures) 65%-70% for at least a month thanks to the Governments new "Free Childcare".   Thats crap too.   Still does the same job, works the same hours but for significantly less than the minimum wage.  (A burger flipper at Hungary Jacks gets paid more per hour)  Might be able to claim the JobKeeper allowence but that doesn't start till next month and apparently  its not retrospective.  

So at the moment, theres nothing funny here with WFH,

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Might be able to claim the JobKeeper allowence but that doesn't start till next month and apparently  its not retrospective.  

I’m pretty sure it is retrospective AJ. 
As long as you can make it till May. 

Sorry to hear all this mate, it sure sucks. 

I suspect there will be more than a few employers trying dodgy tactics with this jobkeeper payment. 

Sorry to hear yours is apparently an asshat AJ. :(

12 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Yeah and  there nothing I can do about it.  I'm not in any position to be difficult. 

So at the moment, theres nothing funny here with WFH,

That’s shit. Unfortunately you might just have to play the game & write this Easter off. Then look for something later. Not sure I would want to be working for them long term.

A friend of mine is in a similar position at work. He’s just been promoted and still on probation. As I said to him “survive, thrive and do what you have to now” it’s only one Easter but could set him up for a better holiday later in the year.

I woke up to news out of the US that I received a company excellence award. I have been chasing one for the last 7 years. The company gives out about 10 per year. New Talent, team work, innovation, employee of the year, etc

Its a big deal in the company. Flown to the US for a black tie dinner all expenses paid for you & your partner. 

This year they are going to post me my glass award.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can you still dress up in black tie, and send the expense claim for the Domino's?

Re the Probation, keep track of what you do and what you get paid.  The job market is woeful at present and unfortunately the options are suck it up or social welfare at present.  Once this is all over there is things you can do - and I'm suspecting the job market is going to be very different.  

We have in-house photographers at the University. One of their jobs is to take studio portraits of staff for our website etc. Obviously, this face-to-face service has been suspended until we go back to campus. 

We got an email from a University staff member asking if we had set up on-line photo portrait service. Our not-so-subtle photographer sent him an example of what could be arranged....

skype-screen-blur-me-100787516-large.3x2.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 6:30 PM, ComfortablyNumb said:

My wife is 2m away on the other end of the kitchen table and can type like a proper typist (her first training was advanced secretarial course at TAFE 36yrs ago, including shorthand).  She types about 5,000 words a farkin second, and bloody loudly.  Pisses me off with my 2 finger one word a minute, very quiet efforts. 

So the above took you 57 minutes to post?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The podcasts that i listen to in the car, are rather boring when listened to at my desk. They are just better than drive time radio.

I have started listening to music while working, never did at work as like to know what is going on; as a planner you can learn a lot and often be ahead of the train wreck from office/lunchroom background noise

12 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

I have started listening to music while working, never did at work as like to know what is going on; as a planner you can learn a lot and often be ahead of the train wreck from office/lunchroom background noise

I couldn't agree more. I've picked up a lot of issues (as have some of the other experienced Planners) from our newer engineers just from hearing their discussions on the phone, and used them to further their learnings. Hopefully there are no howlers going through at the moment that we'll regret in 6 months. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I couldn't agree more. I've picked up a lot of issues (as have some of the other experienced Planners) from our newer engineers just from hearing their discussions on the phone, and used them to further their learnings. Hopefully there are no howlers going through at the moment that we'll regret in 6 months. :)

Try working in quality, the number of times I hear “we are just going to do this” or “it doesn't matter , we don’t need to worry about that” is scary.

Hey.  I can remember the time when we were supposed to working with another team that literally sat in the next cubical.  However for contractual reasons the communication path between the 2 teams involved 10 steps and took the best part of a week.  In absolute frustration we ended up designing the whole interface between the systems in the tearoom and sent the completed design down the communications path.  

• Like 1

In my section we find, apart from the odd exception, our worst staff are all WFH.

17 hours ago, Merv said:

In my section we find, apart from the odd exception, our worst staff are all WFH.

W.F.H. - Women From Hell?

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

W.F.H. - Women From Hell?

Just now, Bored@work said:

Women From HR ??

Same thing

• Haha 2

Not WFH but in the UK all the hairdressers/barbers are shut.  All the decent clippers online were sold out and the only brand name one they had left was a baBylss Men something or other, that had terrible reviews but we bought it anyway.

My first go ever at cutting my own hair.  It took ages and I still ended up looking like someone that had escaped from an institution 😁

df6236c142bb179fe5a200e09ae09441c6251541_2_374x499.jpg

e452fbe86f83b5ab3c7946f1153c91a11603b16b_2_374x499.jpg

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 3

Oh no.........

I have a similar story. I haven't had a hair cut for ages. My hair had gotten quite long and I was sick of it. So I went to a random hairdresser who happened to be operating (mine was shut down) and asked for my hair to be cut back in the style as in my profile pic. Should be simple, right? No. She butchered it. So, I toughened up and went back the next day and asked her to fix it. She tried. I don't know what the fark she was thinking but it was a mess. It definitely went from bad to worse. So, on the third day, I went to another hairdresser who after me explaining what happened, showing him the picture of what I asked for and then him having a close look at my hair had one things to say. "Oh my god......"He did the best he could with what he had left to work with.......

I asked for this.

I got this.

It got 'fixed' to this.

IMG_7481[1].PNG

IMG_7489[1].JPG

IMG_7491[1].JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Out local barber is a ripping bloke, made the decision to close his doors 2 weeks ago(he had a few health issues last year so guessing he is being cautious for his own sake - fair enough).  Thankfully I got an appointment in for the last week so okay for the time being

His final sign off / note on his door says:

See you when this is all over - Happy, Healthy and Hairy

• Like 2

Katz, that sounds like an ordeal!  Maybe let Stikman have a go next time? 😄

• Haha 1

All he had to say was, "at least you've got hair...." :lol:

• Haha 2

When i worked out west in the 90s, we had nothing to do some friday night's, so we used to get drunk, put the footy on and give each other haircuts.  The boss eventually drew the line with the Clubber Lang cut.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Katz said:

Oh no.........

I have a similar story. I haven't had a hair cut for ages. My hair had gotten quite long and I was sick of it. So I went to a random hairdresser who happened to be operating (mine was shut down) and asked for my hair to be cut back in the style as in my profile pic. Should be simple, right? No. She butchered it. So, I toughened up and went back the next day and asked her to fix it. She tried. I don't know what the fark she was thinking but it was a mess. It definitely went from bad to worse. So, on the third day, I went to another hairdresser who after me explaining what happened, showing him the picture of what I asked for and then him having a close look at my hair had one things to say. "Oh my god......"He did the best he could with what he had left to work with.......

I asked for this.

I got this.

It got 'fixed' to this.

IMG_7481[1].PNG

IMG_7489[1].JPG

IMG_7491[1].JPG

He did a good job Katz 👍

• Like 1