Sign in to follow this  
PeterW

Tranny Musos - Jamming in quarantine?

Does anyone have an idea how a group of (bad) garage band type musos can Jam in isolation?

Thinking maybe the rhythm guitar could lay down a track to a metronome, then we could lay down the drums, vocals and lead guitar separately (and a bass if we can find a player!)

What would be the best - simple - cheap - basic way to do this? Is it something I could do with Garage Band? Is there windows thing?  What's the best way to get the audio into the digital domain?

Thanks everyone!

I'm off to practice Stairway to Heaven now (just kidding!) 

I'm unable to answer your questions, but they do remind me Rachel Flowers' virtual band covering Emerson Lake &Palmer. It's a sublime rabbit hole to venture down, full of proggy delights.

And one with the guys without Rachel, Living Sin.

I have just been playing the acoustic and singing heaps ,

might go smash out ain’t no sunshine for bill withers

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, chris said:

I have just been playing the acoustic and singing heaps ,

might go smash out ain’t no sunshine for bill withers

Got it from Ultimate-Guitar tabs yesterday.( Though I probably shouldn't have needed the help. :whistling: It's pretty easy)

RIP Bill.

I've got a PRS Hollowbody Artist and a Taylor 314 and a Boss E-Band JS10 which haven't seen the light of day in years.  I've forgotten half of what I did know.

Might have to drag 'em out at some point!

10 minutes ago, chris said:

Prs nice

This isn't mine but it's the closest picture I could find of what I have.  Mine is a 2006 model bought 2nd hand in 2013. (The last time I had a redundancy payout!).  This was before PRS started cutting costs, even on their premium models.  It's a delight to play but I'm so out of playing shape now, it's a bit of a waste really.

null_zps6ed95bc4.jpg

• Like 1

Hey PeterW,

Many ways to go about this! 

My opinion would be: lay down the beat first, be it the drums or rhythm guitar. They can wear a headphone giving them the metronome beat if they aren't comfortable doing it alone, and that way it won't be in your recording. 

Each new player that records would ideally wear headphones playing what you have so far while recording just their line (instead of blasting what you have, and recording on top). The benefit of this is that with Garage Band (yes, this will do! Garage Band is amazing...just because it is free people dismiss it, but it has incredible capabilities) you can add each 'layer' (instrument) in and then you can adjust the volume to make it even.

If you just record over you'll end up with a bit of an audio mess which you can't edit individually. 

Now, if you'd like to record it LIVE simultaneously it would add a level of difficulty.

Here is the Rotterdam Philharmonic a few weeks ago:

Thanks everyone, that's a pretty impressive line up of equipment there! Thanks for the tip HW - of course!! The headphones are definitely the way to go - I suppose I wont even need a mixer - I can play the track on one device on with the headphone and record a separate, independent track on another and I can "mix" by hearing what I play from outside the headphones.  I wanted to go a windows solution so I am looking at an open source product (like Garage Band) called LMMS that, so far, looks pretty good.  I am a pretty crap musician, but if we can agree on a song maybe some of the better musos on the forum could collaborate on a number?  I recall K1 (the first Kamal (not K2) used to some up with some ripper lyrics to popular songs (does anyone remember O-L-T! He's dynamite!! ) It would be great to get a Trannies collaboration going! :)

Looking at practice amps. Something that will give me a great sound and sustain at accoustic type levels but can crank up to a drum kit level if needed.

After doing a bit of searching I narrowed it down to the smaller modeling series and I got to the...

Fender Champ 40

Marshal Code 20 (or bigger if I could afford it!) 

Blackstar ID core 40

and Maybe the Fender Mustang 50

After borrowing a Line6 with all the bells and whistles I thought it was just all too complicated - I wanted to switch sounds without having to be a computer programmer....

I also listened to some YouTube comparisons and the Blackstar always sounded a bit "wrong" compared to the Marshal and the Fender... So I am thinking the most simple of the above, which I think is the Champ. 

Waddyareckon?

I haven't tried it, but I found an app called jamkazam I month or so ago while looking around; for live jamming and even live broadcast.

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

So I am thinking the most simple of the above, which I think is the Champ. 

Waddyareckon?

Yep I would pick that one.

If you can afford a bit more, I bought my son a VOX AC15CI .... Its a way better amp than anything I have ever owned. Ive seen them retail between about $800 to $1000. I got his one cheap because I bought a Gretch at the same time lol. A valve amp like this gives you good flexibility ...put an accoustic through it and it sounds warm and beautiful, for a hollowbody like the Gretch its just awesome, and there is plenty of grunt there for full bore electric playing. 

Turramurra Music have the Fender Blues Junior for $899, and the Vox AC15 is a similar price. Both amazing little amps which are easily big enough to gig with. I have played open air and Sydney Convention Centre with my Peavey Studio Pro 112 which is a 1 x 12 amp. You just mike it up and put it through the PA. But the Peavey is not nearly as nice an amp as the Fender or Vox. So if you can up the budget from @$400 to say $800 then thats what I would recommend. If not then any of the little Fenders won't disappoint.

If I were in the market for a new amp, this would be at the top of my list.

Great reverb, sparkling "clean" tone, and dirties up brilliantly with that signature Fender tube sound.

20 hours ago, PeterW said:

Looking at practice amps. Something that will give me a great sound and sustain at accoustic type levels but can crank up to a drum kit level if needed.

After doing a bit of searching I narrowed it down to the smaller modeling series and I got to the...

Fender Champ 40

Marshal Code 20 (or bigger if I could afford it!) 

Blackstar ID core 40

and Maybe the Fender Mustang 50

After borrowing a Line6 with all the bells and whistles I thought it was just all too complicated - I wanted to switch sounds without having to be a computer programmer....

I also listened to some YouTube comparisons and the Blackstar always sounded a bit "wrong" compared to the Marshal and the Fender... So I am thinking the most simple of the above, which I think is the Champ. 

Waddyareckon?

I just sold a Laney LC15R which was a great little Class A amp. Mrs FP bought it years ago in Oz for my birthday but I just don't use it anymore.

I still have a Boss e-Band JS10 just messing around. Surprisingly good bit of kit.

I ended up buying the Fender Champ 40 after demo'ing it in a local shop (with one of their guitars) where it sounded great. When I got back I couldn't really get any sustain from my guitar so I "logically" raised the pickups to get a bit more oomph into the amp and hopefully get a bit more overdrive.  Then it sounded really crap - no sustain and a kind of horrible treble distorted sound that I thought was coming from the amp which, at this stage, I wanted to take back to the shop!  Then I googled pickup height and found that my problems were from the pickups being too high. So i lowered them and the more I lowered them the more sustain I got and the horrible treble sound went away - go figure! Now i love my amp :)

Now the only horrible sound isn't caused by either the guitar or the amp.... lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Any updates?

@PeterW how's the new amp going?

Did you manage to get into the software project side of things as well?

Chopped the end  off my left index finger 3 weeks ago, so won't be playing for a couple of months, but with the CV-19 lockdown I've been spending way too much time on YT watching guitar stuff.

Learnt heaps.

• Confused 1

Powderfinger are doing it right now 😍

Edited by -H-
  • Like 1