Spear fishing adventures by Kieran

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ That’s how the start to today’s trip went- halfway to the beach to launch the tinny and I realised I left the gopros at home, mad search through my dive bag at beach to see if I had the third one in there- but ‘‘twas not to be.  Anyway, launched the boat, no dramas, head out to first spot, was on the lookout for an early morning coral trout for brekkie on the boat, NOTHING, barren except a white tip reef shark, I linger around a while to see if anything comes in, sure enough a COD swims by, now I don’t eat cod or most other fish, I’m a bit of a snob and only eat Crays , blue bone, coral trout.  Reds if I ever go deep enough and rankin also.  But I have a black fella mate who loves the cod,queen fish and trevally, they provide good deeds for his mob so I always try and grab a couple of fish for him, pulled the trigger and nailed a nice cod for him.  I jump in the boat ( more like fall over the edge like a sloth and roll in).

on the move and tossed out a lure while moving to the next spot, got a hit but true to form when i have a fishing rod in hand, I can’t land it,  dummy spit ensued and the rod was packed away for the day.  Time to get back in the drink, new spot, found a cluster of bommie a in about 7m of water, perfect considering I’m solo today, tie myself to the boat via a float rope (invade the anchor rope snaps- this happened to me and mate a few weeks back in his boat, not a good situation when you come up and the boats drifting away). 

a little school mackerel swims past so I plugged him and put him on ice (make great fish and chips).  Straight back in and I see a blue bone, put a nice shot on him but wasn’t a kill shot, he then proceeded to bury himself in his cave, I could not get him out despite jamming my hand in the small gap to try and convince him out- nope he wasn’t having a bar of it, about 15 drops later and I still didn’t have him, my spear was out but the cord was what was causing the issue as it had wrapped around everything in the cave, GoPro footage would have been fantastic.   I ended up getting him out but what a mission., this is getting long now but I ended up shooting another two blue bone and Mackie so we have enough fish until my next days off next week.  The water temp is dropping so hopefully soon the squid will be here and I can get amongst them.

one last thing I jumped in the bay where I launch the boat and found a cool wobbygong shark feeding and he was pretty friendly and came up for a hello.  

pics- my mate with his queenie i shot for him- kill shot if you  can see the entry wound  
- crystal clear Pilbara water

- for the keen eye, my gun floating on the spot where the blue one was stuck while I was onboard having a rest, you can see the red and blue rubbers.

untill next time with my gopros

kieran

020F2C43-FC06-40BB-9CE9-7E60351F157F.jpeg

BE49CCF3-9651-4E80-8BB7-429DA499A6FC.jpeg

4CF65682-71C4-4C50-BF86-7A82C0266F74.jpeg

F732A8F2-2CA5-4084-A6F8-C83ED6BB92BF.jpeg

• Like 6
1 minute ago, KieranR said:

OMG

im on days off until Sunday and would you look at the weather!  Guess I’ll be the king of social distancing this week 😂

58F63920-BC2E-4805-8EBA-3AE88E141294.jpeg

Don't forget the gopro this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so two trips to the ramp today! Forgot the bing first trip🤦‍♂️ I’m now trolling for a Mackie as it’s huge tides today so lots of current, I hate lure fishing or rod fishing in general so I got two

lures from the shop for 40$ all up, already lost one so I’m on the last Mackie lire now, trolling a 10m deep section along a wall.  Hopefully I’ll write back later with a fish on Board 

27A83CDF-AAE5-4886-8324-B7A4F454BDE7.jpeg

8D34156B-F3A7-4D92-BB13-EF084C8E7554.jpeg

DCBA1EA1-9A0B-4748-A35A-4E2CDFDB136A.jpeg

I miss getting out with a snorkel. Never really got into the fishing side, only ever did it once but I do love just being in the water cruising around.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite it being an absolute belter of a day today I decided to keep the boat dry and just spent the day at the beach with the family.  Went for a walk this arvo for sunset and pulled this nice mudcrab out from a hole.  Should be tasty cooked on the fire tomorrow evening 

02AA1E84-6C77-4EB3-9598-7E6A8CB23CE6.jpeg

F90B6580-F647-45A0-AA84-DC039148F39F.jpeg

• Like 2

Went out for a shore based squid session with my daughter this morning, no squid so I went for a quick swim with the spear and nailed this solid little jack, stoned him too so instant death and he/she didn’t suffer.  So it’s mangrove jack and mudcrab for dinner tonight.

A1B65398-71D0-4C37-987C-07F1F591B615.jpeg

• Like 3

And hopefully with all the fresh ocean produce we get we can get some equally good fresh produce from the kids new vege garden we made on the weekend out of one of my old boats.  

591AA7FA-8C1E-469D-9315-7659C9E17C88.jpeg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Went out chasing Crays and squid today,  because according to my wife and daughter I’ve been a bit shit at catching Crays lately.  I re tidied that today with two of my mates.  We went out diving all day, shot a few fish, nothing spectacular, got a couple dozen squid and then went and got 12 Crays (4 each) which is the limit of our licenses.  On the water at 0600 and didn’t get back to the ramp until 1815.  Big day

AF16FBAD-8E58-41FA-86AC-9DA944C38D2B.jpeg

B26FB2C6-7077-4B4A-97C5-F561E09CEA33.jpeg

68BECF22-6DEA-4107-A168-49F027FE0C74.jpeg

71D9BE8E-0C3E-4960-A0C1-84B68D76ACD2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I should have taken the GoPro today! The water clarity was epic, we went wide and didn’t get home til we’ll after dark.  Some great spearing today by me and two mates.  We dove deeper today from 6m to 20m And even at 20m you could see the bottom from the surface! Days like today are epic.  And to top it off we nailed a bunch of squid on the way home. Pics below are my share from the day.  The chinaman was epic! He tried towing me around.  And the shot placement on the big trout was perfect, right through the gill plate.

4FAF6A1A-A0BC-4633-8C2F-91F800BA1893.jpeg

280FEC7E-8E88-486A-804B-AEFAA004598D.jpeg

BD212792-5DCB-4330-8E5C-BEDEE0024DD6.jpeg

C2C4B669-E347-4981-AB5B-09FC7B35B39C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, KieranR said:

I should have taken the GoPro today! The water clarity was epic, we went wide and didn’t get home til we’ll after dark.  Some great spearing today by me and two mates.  We dove deeper today from 6m to 20m And even at 20m you could see the bottom from the surface! Days like today are epic.  And to top it off we nailed a bunch of squid on the way home. Pics below are my share from the day.  The chinaman was epic! He tried towing me around.  And the shot placement on the big trout was perfect, right through the gill plate.

4FAF6A1A-A0BC-4633-8C2F-91F800BA1893.jpeg

280FEC7E-8E88-486A-804B-AEFAA004598D.jpeg

BD212792-5DCB-4330-8E5C-BEDEE0024DD6.jpeg

C2C4B669-E347-4981-AB5B-09FC7B35B39C.jpeg

Who is that holding your fish Kieran? Too many clothes to be you !!! 😂😂

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Who is that holding your fish Kieran? Too many clothes to be you !!! 😂😂

Five minutes before that I was running round in my budgys but Nicole told me to get dressed because the new car (new for us)  we bought was getting delivered and apparently I was not dressed appropriately 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Went out again yesterday- good day.  Lost a few off the spear to sharks but overall another ripper day diving.  At one stage we were surrounded by whales, they were with 10-15 meters of us, it was just magical.  We were spewing we left the drone at home, the footage would have been amazing. 

C2AEF11A-8188-4536-BBFD-9E5116925E77.jpeg

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Surfer said:

All the fish you catch seem have their own booze. Are the drunk fish easier to catch? 🤔😉😁

Please please take the drone next time

😂😂 I’ll have to download the GoPro footage im Pretty  sure I got some of the Whales on it.  
we always take too many beers thinking we won’t catch much, then have a rippa day and have to drink the beers to fit the fish in the esky

• Thanks 1