Seyed Hassan

Ideal training load

Hi there. 
I don't know how good or bad I am in triathlon!!! I swim 1000m in 12:47.
My average output power is 290 for 30 minutes ( 41km/h ), and I run a 10km Sub 36minutes.

My best achievement is 6th place in Asian championship.

mostly in a year, I swim 5 times, cycle 3 times, run 3 times and go to gym once a week. 
The longest distance I've ever had in a week is 26km swimming, 40km of running and 240km of cycling.

I have a great coach as he is a university professor and scientist and always insists on intensity over duration or volume. I don't know the exact name of the system which I am trained in but I'll send it to you as soon as I asked it. 

What is the training system (system of measuring and imposing the training load for each individual) professional athletes generally use?
but in your opinion,How is the quality ( records or achievements) of my work? Does an athlete who race in continental championship usually exercise more?

10 hours ago, Seyed Hassan said:

Hi there. 
My average output power is 290 for 30 minutes ( 41km/h ), and I run a 10km Sub 36minutes.

mostly in a year, I swim 5 times, cycle 3 times, run 3 times and go to gym once a week. 
The longest distance I've ever had in a week is 26km swimming, 40km of running and 240km of cycling.

I have a great coach as he is a university professor and scientist and always insists on intensity over duration or volume. I don't know the exact name of the system which I am trained in but I'll send it to you as soon as I asked it. 

What is the training system (system of measuring and imposing the training load for each individual) professional athletes generally use?
but in your opinion,How is the quality ( records or achievements) of my work? Does an athlete who race in continental championship usually exercise more?

Ask your coach 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Fitness Buddyto be honest. You have a coach, learn from him.

What I have learnt is that the load should be repeatable. Every day. If you can't back up because you are too tired or sore you're going too hard *

*Ironman focussed of course. 

Seyed, I guess you are questioning your coach by coming on here. I have no idea the distances you are racing but I suspect Olympic on your training volume. 
As a longer course Ager - I personally like more volume at lower intensities but I am not anywhere near the pointy end of a race. I do use Training Peaks TSS as my training load manager. If you feel a lower intensity/higher volume model is something you would like to look at - google Alan Couzens, Stephen Seiler, Maffertone - these should lead you to some interesting articles. As always, some of it is BS and some of it is gold. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Seyed

I see you are racing against the Abushabab brothers and you've also had a close battle with Omar Ali from Bahrain - he's very talented but you just got him! You might know the Mubarak brothers and Sameera too?

I'm curious - are you training in the GCC region or Iran? And is your coach also Persian?

I agree with your coach regarding intensity over duration across all the race distances right up to Ironman.

The process of measuring and building training volume / intensity / frequency is called 'progressive overload'. There are many ways to build overload into your training plan. A really good example 'could' be a 15 week 'spiral' that looks a little like this:

Week 1- easy

Week 2 - moderate (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 3 - challenging (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 4 - easy (start the new 3 week cycle with slightly higher volumes or intensity or frequency than Week 1)

Week 5 - moderate (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 6 - challenging (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 7 - easy (start the new 3 week cycle with slightly higher volumes or intensity or frequency than Week 4)

Week 8 - moderate (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 9 - challenging (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 10 - easy (start the new 3 week cycle with slightly higher volumes or intensity or frequency than Week 7)

Week 11 - moderate (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 12 - challenging (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 13- easy (start the new 3 week cycle with slightly higher volumes or intensity or frequency than Week 10)

Week 14 - moderate (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

Week 15 - challenging (eg. volume and/or intensity and/or frequency is increased by 10% from previous week)

The 16th week should be full recovery week where the past period is analysed and assessed. Your coach would now have data to learn from - where was progress made, where are your weaknesses etc. From this point you plan your next 15 week cycle. NOTE: the 10% is an example only. You could add more OR less volume, intensity or frequency.

There is time in the year for 3 complete 15 week cycles with plenty of weeks left for recovery. Of course, these are positioned around your racing season to get the most out of your race performances.

The question about whether you are doing enough training is difficult to answer. Depends on what kind of athlete you are - your body composition, testosterone levels, capacity of absorb training and recover from difficult sessions. Only you and your coach can work this out through experimenting with volume / intensity and frequency.

It sounds like you are at a cross-road if you are asking others for advise. At your age of 26 you probably need to decide if sprint and olympic distance is going to be your future or if you should start the step up in volume to 70.3 and ironman. There is still opportunity of represent Iran in Sprint and Olympic distance at an elite level but at your age, it will be difficult to get significantly faster if you were to compete at the highest level of ITU racing. But, moving on to long course races could open up new opportunities to race in the Pro field but would depend on your mental attitude towards long distance racing and physical will power to endure discomfort - it needs to be something you would enjoy doing.

If you're thinking of getting the advice of another coach in the Middle East who has a background in elite racing, message me.

cheers

TC

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 02/04/2020 at 1:06 AM, Seyed Hassan said:

Hi there. 

My take. Looks like your coach has done a great job of maximizing your potential with how much training you do. But if you want to be even faster, you need to increase the volume in the bike and (especially for ITU racing) the run.