Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

What were you doing 30 years ago today?

1990 I was training for my first half marathon. First race since left school 5 years before. 

What a gateway drug the half marathon turned out to be. 

• Haha 3

Was up there watching it...from memory Rod Cedaro won it....a wet year

35 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Was up there watching it...from memory Rod Cedaro won it....a wet year

Not a wet year, but yes, Rod won it. It was actually a great day for it.

1990.  Working as a bar attendant in the Marble Bar at the Hilton.  

pretty much sleeping with anything that moved. 

doing zero sports. 

• Haha 2

Coaching rep basketball, doing the John Holt tri series at Kurnell, playing rugby league in the Sydney Business Houses comp, playing basketball at Bankstown and Campbelltown, seeing my daughter being born plus recovering from cancer. 1990 - a big year  

FM

• Like 2

Hadn’t discovered tris yet. 
was probably hungover from a night at Bankstown RSL after playing soccer. 

• Haha 2

According to my diary we drove from London to Stonehenge and were underwhelmed by it. We forgot to turn off the 12V fridge so had to push start our Kombi.

Close to a perfect race for me. I picked off a lot of runners during the marathon. Raced strongly right to finish line, where I crumpled in a characteristic mess.

I remember lying in a blissful haze in the medical tent with an IV in my arm, my girlfriend of the time beside me, and Deep Purple's Black Night ringing out over the race PA. I was in a very happy place.

It was a PB and I qualified for my second shot at Kona.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Peter said:

1990.  Working as a bar attendant in the Marble Bar at the Hilton.  

doing zero sports. 

We would have crossed paths! Friday/Saturday nights!

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It was a hell of an April Fools Joke on a lot of people.

Image may contain: water

Why a surprise..... race started in 85, then from 87 onwards

2 hours ago, Peter said:

2 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

We would have crossed paths!

Is there something you two should tell us? :unsure:

• Haha 8

Playing the first game of my last season of Grade Rugby in Newcastle, and enjoying the last years of life and freedom which I gave up in  September of that year to an all consuming yet fairly unsuccessful period in triathlon.  

• Like 1

I was 8, probably was running around in the nude everywhere if I was anything like my son is now

• Haha 2

My second year of tri's, having done Coffs Harbour in '89 and again in '90. Went to enter IM in 91 but left it too late, so went up and watched. In those days had to enter well before Christmas to get in before entries filled up.

• Like 1

Just now, bert40 said:

In those days had to enter well before Christmas to get in before entries filled up.

I had to write to Ken to get exemption to race the year before as I'd never done a race longer than an OD. These days it's just "Show me your money".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

I was 8, probably was running around in the nude everywhere if I was anything like my son is now

Some things don't change 🤣🤣🤣🤣😎🤘

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I had to write to Ken to get exemption to race the year before as I'd never done a race longer than an OD. These days it's just "Show me your money".

Back when Ironman was tough...we had to qualify....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shrek said:

When & why did they change it so that anyone could enter?

Mid 2000s.  Think before then you had to do one of the HIM races, and get a qualifying spot for Port Mac which was the only IM distance in the country (other than a few independents that popped up from time to time).  Doesn't seem to be the same HIM market since then either, so short sighted decision perhaps.

The plan was to have Melbourne the Asia Pac championships and eventually require a qualifier from another IM (eg Port Mac or Cairns), but it didn't last long enough for that to eventuate.  New York IM was also supposed to be a similar race, but died even quicker than Melbourne

• Thanks 1

Thirty years ago I was 'owner building' the house that I still live in!

Regarding entering IM back then...  I'd watched the MMM Triathlon at Manly on the 'Wide World Of Sports' in the early 80's and decided that one day I'd like to give it a go.  Around August 1994 I decided it was time so I phoned a number that a friend gave me and requested that an entry to the 1995 Forster IM be mailed out to me.  I wasn't really an athlete, and I had no interest in ever doing any other races, I just wanted to do the one Ironman Triathlon and tick that box as 'been there & done that'!  When the entry turned up it said on it that you had to put the details of an event that you'd previously done - I hadn't done any events so I phoned the same number again (Glenda Baggs?) and she said it was just to prove that I knew what the sport of triathlon was and what it involved.  She said it didn't matter how long the event was, any event would do, but it would be better if it was one of the races that were listed in the back of a triathlon magazine so they recognised it as a legitimate 'event'.  So I bought a magazine and elected to do the NSW Sprint Distance Champs at Kurnell in Oct 1994, determined that it would be one of only two triathlons that I would ever do...

As it happened that event fell on the same day that one of their Shire locals became the first Aussie to ever win in Kona!  It was an amazing buzz that day down at Kurnell and as a result I fell madly in love with the sport.  Twenty six years and many many races later, apart from injuries and a certain Corona Virus, I'm still doing it!

Sorry about the long winded post...  I'm back!!

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Yeah. 

I "got into" Triathlon just before it changed from qualify to pay up. 

I remember being disappointed with the change as those who I kicked around with all had to qualify. 

The qualification process gave it an unattainable lure. Mystic almost. For me anyway. It's what kept me hooked on the sport in general. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Thirty years ago I was 'owner building' the house that I still live in!

Regarding entering IM back then...  I'd watched an the MMM Triathlon at Manly on the 'Wide World Of Sports' in the early 80's and decided that one day I'd like to give it a go.  Around August 1994 I decided it was time so I phoned a number that a friend gave me and requested that an entry to the 1995 Forster IM be mailed out to me.  I wasn't really an athlete, and I had no interest in ever doing any other races, I just wanted to do the one Ironman Triathlon and tick that box as 'been there & done that'!  When the entry turned up it said on it that you had to put the details of an event that you'd previously done - I hadn't done any events so I phoned the same number again (Glenda Baggs?) and she said it was just to prove that I knew what the sport of triathlon was and what it involved.  She said it didn't matter how long the event was, any event would do, but it would be better if it was one of the races that were listed in the back of a triathlon magazine so they recognised it as a legitimate 'event'.  So I bought a magazine and elected to do the NSW Sprint Distance Champs at Kurnell in Oct 1994, determined that it would be one of only two triathlons that I would ever do...

As it happened that event fell on the same day that one of their Shire locals became the first Aussie to ever win in Kona!  It was an amazing buzz that day down at Kurnell and as a result I fell madly in love with the sport.  Twenty six years and many many races later, apart from injuries and a certain Corona Virus, I'm still doing it!

Yay 

Great to hear from you again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/04/2020 at 9:26 PM, IronmanFoz said:

We would have crossed paths! Friday/Saturday nights!

Did you sleep with him?

7 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

Yay 

Great to hear from you again. 

Cheers, I'd been meaning to get back on for a while but never seemed to have time...  Even now with this isolation thing I'm still going to struggle.  I can't believe it when people say they are bored, I never ever seem to have enough time to do all the things that I want to do.  But, I'm glad to be back...  I missed you guys!  :winkiss:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was watching that race, the second time I'd been. Watched the first in '85 with people in space blankets being ferried out of the water, Tinley included, then back again the year Zack won and a hiatus until last year. Sally Belyea won with Cedaro, she also won Sri Chinmoy long course then disappeared

• Like 1

I was 17, did club swimming, was in the pool every day (twice a day during school holidays). Oddly enough, my first ever Ironman was my fastest swim split and it has gone downhill since. But getting better in the bike and run, so I guess I'm becoming less and less of a swimmer and more and more of a triathlete?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, k3vski said:

I was 17, did club swimming, was in the pool every day (twice a day during school holidays). Oddly enough, my first ever Ironman was my fastest swim split and it has gone downhill since. But getting better in the bike and run, so I guess I'm becoming less and less of a swimmer and more and more of a triathlete?

you're 47..? but you are racing 35-39.. you must like a challenge... 😂

hopefully you are not an accountant... 

• Haha 2

Was playing park Rugby League for Benedict in the Canterbury juniors comp B Grade I think.

Those were the days. We wore Broncos colours and I use to love pretending I was Steve Renouf!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Surfer said:

When & why did they change it so that anyone could enter?

I tried for a number of years to qualify at the Busso half for Port Mac, but I was too slow. When the Busso full IM started there was no qualifying just pay the money so I signed up. Not long after the Busso full started Port Mac dropped the qualifying requirement.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shrek said:

and ride steel frame bikes and wear dickstickers all day

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Welcome back mate, hope you're well.  Raced Terra Nova 12hr with Juddy, when things get back to normal how about joining us for an event on the darkside.

• Thanks 1

I had just brought my second bike - an Atlantis Katana - this one with a zipp disc and roval front wheel and was busy training for the 1990 World Cup triathlon on the Gold Coast in early May. 

I’d had a nasty bike accident in late January when a 2 tonne truck diamond cut across me and I spent the following week recouperating on the MS Bellarussia Russian cruise liner on an 8 day cruise to New Caledonia for my 21st birthday. By April I was hitting my strapped again and looking forward to the Gold Coast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pieman said:

you're 47..? but you are racing 35-39.. you must like a challenge... 😂

hopefully you are not an accountant... 

Oops got me there. OK I was only 7 then. Yes an am accountant, obviously a pretty dodgy one haha. All this working from home is making me see the wrong numbers 

• Haha 1

First year of full time work. Sports crazy, but not triathlon (couldn't swim back then). Played Aussies Rules, Cricket, Indoor Cricket, Volleyball & Running.  Worked out I used to 'exercise' about 20 hours a week back then without any aches or pains (although I did usually wake up sore and bruised most Sunday mornings after playing Footy on Saturday). Oh to be 21 again.

Used to run at lunchtime with a work colleague who was training for Kona.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lawman said:

Welcome back mate, hope you're well.  Raced Terra Nova 12hr with Juddy, when things get back to normal how about joining us for an event on the darkside.

Thanks mate, all good here.  Yes I was wondering who it was that he was doing the Terra Nova with...  small world!

Juddy's a top bloke, and a solid trainer.  His attitude really is 'bite off more than you can chew and chew like buggary'!

• Like 2

With my wife of 1yr, kid-less, minimal responsibilities, swimming & gyming, fishing, drinking too much & dodging Mad Cow Disease in London.

Almost a carbon-copy of today, except we are back here & I can't swim/gym, and we can afford to buy beef.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2020 at 11:10 PM, Go Easy said:

Thanks mate, all good here.  Yes I was wondering who it was that he was doing the Terra Nova with...  small world!

Juddy's a top bloke, and a solid trainer.  His attitude really is 'bite off more than you can chew and chew like buggary'!

We both did that day!!

Glad all is good, but you didn't answer my question 😂😂

when things get back to normal how about joining us for an event on the darkside. ????? 

We both did that day!!

Haha, yes Juddy can have that effect on you!

Glad all is good, but you didn't answer my question 😂😂

when things get back to normal how about joining us for an event on the darkside. ????? 

Yeah I reckon that would be pretty cool.  I'd probably need to get a bit of training in (and be injury free for a while) before then though as the last thing I'd want to do is let someone else down - that's pretty much why I've never done a true Adventure race before.  All the multi-sports events I've ever done, I have always done solo!  But racing doesn't really seem to be all that important to me anymore!!

30 years ago I was trying to play Tennis, Sail and also do triathlons. triathlons is all that I do competively these days other than the odd father/son tennis comp.

• Like 1