gplama

Indoor Cycling Help: Smart Trainers / Software [Zwift etc]

After a 5 week break in the bike, I signed up for sufferfest. I am a very very long time Trainer road user, but i needed a change from blue blocks. I found the sufferfest half monty test pretty good. Struggled finding the right restistence level. I settled on 0.5%. I love the ability to customise the display, also the test feels a little more rounded, looking at HR and power. I'm doing a workout later today based on the new results so that will be interesting. 

I’m hatching a plan, that may or may not feasible, so I’m just putting it out there.

I’ve been on Zwift a while and already had 67,000 mtrs of climbing before I hit the ‘Everest Challenge’. I started the Everest Challenge on May 14th and have now clocked approx 7,500 mtrs.

Adding up all the elevation from the route badges I haven’t done, only comes to approx 17,500 mtrs. (not including the 25 x volcano loop which has bugger all climbing).

I’m not riding today 'cos I’m knackered and washing the cars which will stuff my back. But let’s say I jump back on the bike tomorrow.

Just for gits and shiggles, how quick could I get the Tron bike? I looked at end of June but that’s about 1300 mtrs a day, so I’m thinking mid July would be a good target?

The most important question. Will my newly acquired 100 mile kit make me faster?

Edited by FatPom

Firstly, new kit as with new bike, always makes you faster. No question!

As to Tron bike, take your time. Enjoy the consistency you have without forced pressure. 

10 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Firstly, new kit as with new bike, always makes you faster. No question!

As to Tron bike, take your time. Enjoy the consistency you have without forced pressure. 

Yeah probably good advice, I still want to run of course.  I'm not even sure why it's a goal, I'd probably never use it. 😄

13 hours ago, FatPom said:

Yeah probably good advice, I still want to run of course.  I'm not even sure why it's a goal, I'd probably never use it. 😄

Nah, use the goal as motivation and get after it! A friend just got it, he was riding the Alp every morning for weeks.

I am very happy I don't even get it as a challenge option yet.

You need to get it because it is shinny.

Edited by Naut
last line
  • Haha 1

On 22/05/2020 at 8:47 AM, zed said:

I didn't know about this setting. Mine is set to 50% which might explain I'm Zwift's answer to Contador in the hills. I've now set it to 100% so life is going to get a bit harder I guess..

It's set to 100%. It's not harder, necessarily, there's a more noticeable resistance when you hit any kind of incline, no matter how small and it's a bit unnatural, like you've hit the brakes. Which kind of explains why the default is 50%. When you hit those small rollers in the crit, your speed should carry you over them, but at 100% you get too much resistance irrespective of how much speed you've picked up.  

On 22/05/2020 at 2:00 PM, Naut said:

I use a D-Link DAP-1650 which I bought after some minimal research. My main criteria was good review, doesn't look too ugly and supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Was pretty easy to set-up and I have had no issues with it. My 11 year old daughter is now an expert at jumping between networks on her iPad to maximise her YouTube experience

An update to close my problem - all solved, and even with my poor tech / IT knowledge it was reasonably simple.  Just before deciding to go the extender/booster option, I was talking to a workmate who sent me a link to a CNet "How-To ..." article.  In my non-tech language, it changed the old WiFi modem/router to an extender. 

Following the CNet instructions, I changed a couple of settings on the old router to make it an Access Point.  Then I ran a long Ethernet cable from the upstairs NBN modem / router downstairs and connected it to the old router.  Now I get 5G WiFi downstairs for the companion app.  As a bonus, the unused ports on the old router downstairs are available.  I used a spare port on the downstairs modem to run an Ethernet cable direct to Apple TV - and have a direct internet connection (not the WiFi).   

Thanks for your help Naut & Zed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got fifth in B today,  made the A bunch until the Inssbruckring hill and got dropped, then same with the B fast bunch on lap 2.

I'm 74 kg and go up at 320 to 340 watts and get shelled

• Like 1
  • Confused 1