gplama

Indoor Cycling Help: Smart Trainers / Software [Zwift etc]

LOTS of people heading indoors given the current happenings in the world. If you have any queries/comments/questions, post here and I'll do my best to help out.

Thanks, 25k riders on this morning... 

I am having an issue where about half the time when I have registered for an event, i wont get an event starting notification or the ability to join event? This morning, I was all paired up and ready to go, I tried clicking on the event at the top right and it said 'join' but when I clicked on it nothing happened. Was still 5 mins before event so I just went to Watopia and started riding waiting for the 'join event' box but it never came.. so I ended up getting up at some ungodly hour just to do a standard ride... 

This was all on a laptop.. 

on that, i tried logging on with android app and it loaded super fast so have you had any experience with that app?

17 minutes ago, pieman said:

i wont get an event starting notification or the ability to join event?

I've had this a few times. A few quick things to check/try:

- Make sure your app is updated on iPhone/AppleTV/etc. Sometimes you'll need to get into the App Store and manually check for an update if the auto update hasn't kicked in.
- Log out and back in again if the "Join Event" hasn't appeared by 3mins to go.
- When logging in, select the world (Watopia, Richmond, etc) your event will be in. It shouldn't matter and it's designed to swap... but sometimes it just screws the pooch and doing this helps.

Here's a video on ERG/Workout mode that's done pretty well for views. If you've ever encountered the Spiral of Death or wattage change in ERG intervals sucks, it covers how to deal with those: 

https://youtu.be/LbeliW8uObk

Hey Shane, as there are no kickrs anywhere, I ordered one from the LBS yesterday and should see it in a few weeks.

I have a usb ANT thingy, is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for it's arrival?

I did my first 'meetup' ride with my club this morning, but saw that the chat streams of people not in the group ride was being posted in the group ride chat window.

Wondered if thats a bug or by design. Kinda annoying having complete randoms chat messages flowing into our group ride chat.

3 minutes ago, Naut said:

Hey Shane, as there are no kickrs anywhere, I ordered one from the LBS yesterday and should see it in a few weeks.

I have a usb ANT thingy, is there anything else I should be doing to prepare for it's arrival?

If you're going to be using an AppleTV to run software then no need for ANT+. Bluetooth all the way with that. Mac and PC Bluetooth is pretty good these days too. Always good to have ANT+ as an option. 

Other than setting up your pain cave with fans, desk, floor mat, speakers for mad tunes.... that's about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I did my first 'meetup' ride with my club this morning, but saw that the chat streams of people not in the group ride was being posted in the group ride chat window.

Wondered if thats a bug or by design. Kinda annoying having complete randoms chat messages flowing into our group ride chat.

I think that's by design. I wish chat would be limited to the current bunch/group. It's bloody annoying. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gplama said:

If you're going to be using an AppleTV to run software then no need for ANT+. Bluetooth all the way with that. Mac and PC Bluetooth is pretty good these days too. Always good to have ANT+ as an option. 

Other than setting up your pain cave with fans, desk, floor mat, speakers for mad tunes.... that's about it. 

Will be running off my work laptop. I don't have admin rights so what software do I need to ask the team to install. Just looking to use Zwift at this stage and do some sessions in ERG mode (can run off head unit?).

5 minutes ago, Naut said:

Just looking to use Zwift at this stage and do some sessions in ERG mode (can run off head unit?).

The Wahoo Fitness mobile app has a neat ERG control feature (as shown in my video above... later in the video iirc). Head unit (GPS) trainer control works.. but can be fiddly depending on the unit used.  

• Like 1

Side point.  I saw 8884 people on it last night. 

do you know What the capacity is?

Just now, Peter said:

Side point.  I saw 8884 people on it last night. 

They hit 24,000 I think last night. I'm sure they've stress tested this for a LOT more than that.

• Thanks 1

Great offer and thread gplama - thanks!!! See you on zwift somewhere!!! 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gplama said:

They hit 24,000 I think last night. I'm sure they've stress tested this for a LOT more than that.

There was something like 20K people on this morning when I had a spin at 5am

And they've just laid off around 25 senior managers - that seems like strange timing to me... you'd think they'd be one of the few businesses bursting at the seams right now

25? I've heard 4-5. Timing I'd say is a coincidence. Job changes at corporations is business as usual. What if these people (some I know) weren't meeting KPIs? What if they were boat anchors costing them money? It's way too easy to sit back and jump to conclusions on this. It's shit timing, sure. Changes like these aren't weeks in the making. 

When there are 100,000s lining up for Centerlink at the moment (+ millions worldwide in the same position).... a few execs who'll get likely employment elsewhere soon isn't news. 

Gook clickbait though. And a great opportunity for people to hate on the tall poppy. 

5 hours ago, gplama said:

The Wahoo Fitness mobile app has a neat ERG control feature (as shown in my video above... later in the video iirc). Head unit (GPS) trainer control works.. but can be fiddly depending on the unit used.  

Watched the video and your kickr core review and firmware upload videos. Now I just have to rewatch Slane's step test video so I can do one of those

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Naut said:

Watched the video and your kickr core review and firmware upload videos. Now I just have to rewatch Slane's step test video so I can do one of those

Zwift have a similar protocol in-game now that'll save you time messing about with the custom workout and FTP adjustment. 

• Like 1

I have got my hands on a Wahoo snap and am a complete noob when it comes to technology. Apart from the Wahoo Fitness app, is there other free workouts you can use ? I really need to do some investigating/learn somewhere. Locations ???   

Thanks

Edited by Hoover

6 minutes ago, Hoover said:

Apart from the Wahoo Fitness app, is there other free workouts you can use ? I really need to do some investigating/learn somewhere. Locations ??? 

There isn't a lot out there that's free, easy to use, and/or popular. There may be a few things I'm not aware of. 

Running a Kickr Core and AppleTv combination. Apart from the remote being a bit limiting, the combination has been faultless.

Was running the LeMond trainer but got the Core on Von's recommendation and both my wife and I have loved every second of it.

Thoroughly recommend for anyone wanting a quick, easy and relatively cost-effective setup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone looking to dabble, the second hand market is (or at least, was) a pretty good bet - I picked up a Gen 1 Kickr for $750 last year and it's done something like 15,000km and not skipped a beat yet (admittedly at low wattage :-))...

I have noticed the prices on 2nd hand seem to be increasing this week though!!!

Shane, do you have a tutorial on setting up a group ride for friends that remains 'private'? i.e., only those in the group on the screen?  My local group is interested but we are all clueless.

9 hours ago, Hoover said:

I have got my hands on a Wahoo snap and am a complete noob when it comes to technology. Apart from the Wahoo Fitness app, is there other free workouts you can use ? I really need to do some investigating/learn somewhere. Locations ???   

Thanks

Most software like rouvy, zwift have free trial periods 

You could rotate a few of these

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

Shane, do you have a tutorial on setting up a group ride for friends that remains 'private'? i.e., only those in the group on the screen?  My local group is interested but we are all clueless.

Have you watched this one? Not sure if it covers the "private" bit but my bunch are using it because it keeps you all together

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hoover said:

Thanks

There is always PerfPro. It's not free, but you get a trial period and it's desktop based. USD100 for the software. Drew (the guy who wrote it) is always updating it and it is about to undergo a big update (Beta is out). 

It's great if you want to do your own thing and don't want to pay a subscription. In my opinion it is really best if you want to do erg workouts (where the trainer controls effort - so 15min warm-up / 10min at 95% FTP / 5 min at 65% etc etc). You can ride courses though.

Happy to help anyone with setup etc.

10 hours ago, Naut said:

Have you watched this one? Not sure if it covers the "private" bit but my bunch are using it because it keeps you all together

Cheers Naut, I will check it out today.

Many thanks to Shane also, your hosting fees might be taking a hit these days mate!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BNothling said:

Running a Kickr Core and AppleTv combination. Apart from the remote being a bit limiting, the combination has been faultless.

Was running the LeMond trainer but got the Core on Von's recommendation and both my wife and I have loved every second of it.

Thoroughly recommend for anyone wanting a quick, easy and relatively cost-effective setup.

Yup ditto. Never had an issue with the ATV (other than the remote being a bit meh).

On 25/03/2020 at 11:19 AM, AJS said:

And they've just laid off around 25 senior managers - that seems like strange timing to me... you'd think they'd be one of the few businesses bursting at the seams right now

ST say they're pulling the pin on Zwift running hence the redundancies.

1 minute ago, zed said:

They're not. It'll still be around. As it stands it costs them next to nothing to leave as-is. 

3 minutes ago, zed said:

I reckon they are getting ready for a merger with a h/w company.

Added in a kids account but it appears to be locked to Watopia only with no choice - even using the pref hack I cant get it to change.  Hack works fine for my account.  Anyone else running a kids account?

Edited by symo

Help.  

the u turn won’t work for me.  Neither will it on my keyboard. 

the wave works on the app. 

BFAF17F3-56AA-49E2-B106-0D52598F60D4.png

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Help.  

the u turn won’t work for me.  Neither will it on my keyboard. 

the wave works on the app. 

BFAF17F3-56AA-49E2-B106-0D52598F60D4.png

I find it very hit and miss with when it turns around. I dont think you can turn around while in events/group rides? With the app it only works if I hold the button down for a few seconds.. 

The other 3 guys I was with turned. 

I was going fast enough as I know you have to be over a certain speed 

You have to be moving to turn. The down arrow on the keyboard will do it (or the U on screen). The button in the app is a PRESS-HOLD for it to rip a u-ey. 

hmm might be I was just pushing it.

I'll test later holding

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

hmm might be I was just pushing it.

I'll test later holding

Yep thats it.  Holding worked.  FFS I got dropped not knowing that this morning.

• Haha 1

The u turn button on the app is very annoying. You have to be moving but I've found you cannot u turn if you're going too fast. 

Anyone know if there is a way on the Zwift Companion app to filter for events you've RSVP'd for? 

When I look up events, I cannot filter for the ones I've signed up for and instead have to manually go through the list. 

@gplama

Just got a Bluetooth dongle yesterday for my kickr/pc combo so I can ride Rouvy. 

But Zwift won't recognise the BT 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Rouvy was ok. 

Then they both spat it 🤷‍♂️🤔🤷‍♂️

Now Zwift works with ANT... 

Any ideas...? 

5 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

Just got a Bluetooth dongle yesterday for my kickr/pc combo so I can ride Rouvy. 

Latest Windows 10 with all updates applied? Anything less is a shitshow for Bluetooth Smart. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, gplama said:

Latest Windows 10 with all updates applied? Anything less is a shitshow for Bluetooth Smart. 

I'll sus it out. 

Cheers mate 

You also can’t have the garmin app installed.  That farks zwift 

• Like 1

Theres a virtual Tour of Flanders on BKool on Sunday (not on the course mind you, just a few pros who would have been participating racing each other). 

Edited by dazmuzza

Get into the Hawt Rewt over the next three days! It's going to be..... "fun".... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gplama said:

Get into the Hawt Rewt over the next three days! It's going to be..... "fun".... 

I only found about that two days ago and was like 'I have no time to prepare whatsoever'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gplama said:

couldnt be at more inconvenient times (for me) if they tried