Aidan

Ironman Virtual Racing

Ironman has moved quick to fill the void with all the cancelled races. I don't blame them with 90%+ of their revenue being wiped out for at least the next few months.

image.thumb.png.74cb4b29b4f4207eefa82faaebe85a5b.png

Not sure if April 1 is the best starting date!

Will there by Kona/Taupo spots available here? Nothing announced yet but it wouldn't be the biggest surprise. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Will there by Kona/Taupo spots available here? Nothing announced yet but it wouldn't be the biggest surprise. 

Do you think there will be a Kona this year?

They have 6 months to get the app together for a virtual Kona. 

Good on them for trying something new. Think they’ll partner with Zwift (or similar) or try for some market share in that space?

Virtual racing may become much more common after this. A new alternative. Bit like working from home, I expect this may change the face of how some business operates, and some new innovations 

PHTC beat them to this. We've just rolled out the Inaugural PHTC Corona Cup, virtual duathlon series. :D 

One can only imagine the cheating that will go on with this format. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, roxii said:

One can only imagine the cheating that will go on with this format. 

Which it currently does already in the zwift platform. Yet esports in booming. 

The trick is to only allow tangible benefits to versions of the esport where cheating can be governed or monitored, like cvr series. 

if they hold ‘free for all’ 70.3 duathlons every Sunday with simple participation medals, no Taupo points or AG medals, what’s the point in cheating, or the harm??

Tipping if you take part, you’ll go in the draw for Taupo and possibly Kona spots. 

be interested if its going To be a paid service. 

You don’t you just underestimate you weight then you get a better power to weight ratio. 

8 hours ago, Flanman said:

How do you draft ?

FM

Witing for the new T-shirt design:

Bugger drafting,  keep your "social distance"

• Haha 1

"Triathlon: practicing Social Distancing on the bike for years."

9 hours ago, Katz said:

"Triathlon: practicing Social Distancing on the bike for years."

Not quite true for the guy who drafted off me in Busso. I reckon my butt imprint would still be on his face....

• Haha 1

Rouvy tipped to be the bike program for Ironman virtual racin.  

weird 

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

Rouvy tipped to be the bike program for Ironman virtual racin.  

weird 

I heard that last week, but didn’t think it made sense given they don’t have a run platform.

Rouvy have announced it on their own page.

It looks clunky and doesn’t have any real base of Ironman courses. Roth looks to be the only full course!!

So I’ve just entered VR1 for this weekend - free entry and looks more like a challenge than race. Do a 5k/90k/21.1k (with whatever transitions you like, ie overnight) on the weekend to finish the challenge.

Why not?? It’s free? Just sync your Garmin or strava account and you are good to go.

2 hours ago, The new guy said:

So I’ve just entered VR1 for this weekend - free entry and looks more like a challenge than race. Do a 5k/90k/21.1k (with whatever transitions you like, ie overnight) on the weekend to finish the challenge.

Why not?? It’s free? Just sync your Garmin or strava account and you are good to 

Let us know what it was like when youre done

I thought about entering but the weather is too good so diving it is!

i didn’t really think about entering 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

so people are now searching for a location that enables them to run & ride downhill.  

My selected perfect route for the bike would be the top of the Galibier, down to Bourg d'Osians and back towards Grenoble (that should be around 90k and mostly down hill.  Probably could repeat the run from    Galibier turnoff near bottom of Lautaret and heading back towards Bourg d'Osians would be downhill, but not to steep to get a good roll going.

It will be interesting to see how many finish out of this 

image.png.db6716a1c9b1932f908ac82ea503ac9b.png

Got my long run done, first run that far since November 2017 so happy with that either way.

Bike will be on the trainer...not looking forward to that as I have nore ridden over 90 minutes for a bloody long time!

• Like 1

I saw overnight a guy rode a 1:55 90k.  He is over 55. 

sanders rode a 1:58 apparently. 

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’m sure they will check it - it reeks of someone with a new trainer and no idea how to calibrate. I doubt anyone would cheat THAT blatantly.

24 minutes ago, The new guy said:

I’m sure they will check it - it reeks of someone with a new trainer and no idea how to calibrate. I doubt anyone would cheat THAT blatantly.

Lance? 🤷‍♂️

I signed up.

On the Friday I did a sneaky 5 km from home to the bottom of Bobbin Head. Many to do 3.57 pace....note this is a gradual down hill run. Stopped my watch so it registered at 5k. Then ran back out. Total run 10k for about 46:37. Had I not split the runs it would have registered as 5k for 46:37

On Saturday I did 21k run in 1:42......on about 200mls of water ;) (see other thread to get the significance there).

Sunday I rode 90k on very tired legs (ran 80k this week), in 2:59. Yep not fast but had elevation on nearly 850 meters.

In short - compared to the the lead guys on Ironman VR I am like.....90 minutes slower that the 50year old who is in 2nd place. 

The guy leading rode 1:55 for 90k....... yeah right!!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I know they say its a Race but its more About participation.  

if it was a real race there are so many ways to rig it to win. 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

LOL!!

Yes...the same bloke that biked a 5:13 at IRONMAN Barcelona, which is a draftathon and lighting quick/short and/or all of the above.

Settings/inputs can make a mockery of the legitimacy of this thing IMO.

Fine for a bit of fun though I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/03/2020 at 3:36 PM, Flanman said:

How do you draft ?

FM

Put your fan behind you instead of in front?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I am a virtual ironman!!!

It actually gave me the little kick i needed to do what I should be doing anyway.  The results are irrelevant in regards to comparing to others, but I actually didn't think I would get through the bike as I have not been training for it.

Next step is how to put together a good bike training block for whenever the next one is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Peter said:

Are you allowed to use Zwift? If so he could have been riding in a pack. I think I sat on 43km/hr for 40km the other day. But that was riding with a group of 20+. And did a 100km ride averaging 38km/hr, that wasn't balls to the wall either. Again though riding with a pack on Fuego Flats.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

Are you allowed to use Zwift? If so he could have been riding in a pack. I think I sat on 43km/hr for 40km the other day. But that was riding with a group of 20+. And did a 100km ride averaging 38km/hr, that wasn't balls to the wall either. Again though riding with a pack on Fuego Flats.

Sounds like an ideal Busso prep 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zed said:

My Zwift ride registered Zed and I did a group ride. My highly dubious treadmill at 4min/km also counted (foot pod died) - I probably only ran 15km rather than 21km. Whatever, think it’s more about keeping people active and motivated. 

6 minutes ago, wombattri said:

My Zwift ride registered Zed and I did a group ride. My highly dubious treadmill at 4min/km also counted (foot pod died) - I probably only ran 15km rather than 21km. Whatever, think it’s more about keeping people active and motivated. 

Yeah if they are allowing Zwift and zwift running with foot pods, it can't really be taken too seriously. Good idea for a bit of fun though. 

Did they say they were using this virtual IM to qualify for 70.3 worlds?

Okay so this is the guy

His last Ironman race.

Clearly cheated in the vitrual event give he rode a 5:47 180k split

image.thumb.png.33a95a2f991cb787f8bee562de96bd58.png

Just now, zed said:

Did they say they were using this virtual IM to qualify for 70.3 worlds?

Not that this event but there will be paid events in the future that will be qualifiers for Taupo.

Not that it will happen.  taupo that is.

Should just be a lottery.

Each event you finish gives you one entry in the taupo lottery.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Not that this event but there will be paid events in the future that will be qualifiers for Taupo.

Not that it will happen.  taupo that is.

Should just be a lottery.

Each event you finish gives you one entry in the taupo lottery.

Taupo will happen, NZ borders will be open by then.

As a country that relies on tourism, keeping the borders closed will be financial suicide. If other countries borders are not open then transiting here may be a bit harder.

Just now, rory-dognz said:

Taupo will happen, NZ borders will be open by then.

As a country that relies on tourism, keeping the borders closed will be financial suicide. If other countries borders are not open then transiting here may be a bit harder.

You really think you'll allow people from all over the world to fly in?

Kiwis might race but I cant see you allowing yanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Western countries will not allow international travel until they have a vaccine. The exception would be for essential travel and even that would probably mean having multiple COVID tests as well as a quarantine period when you land in the country and when you return to Australia. No chance of Kona 2020 or Taupo worlds. And even Kona 2021 would be in doubt. Perhaps for locals only.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zed said:

Western countries will not allow international travel until they have a vaccine. The exception would be for essential travel and even that would probably mean having multiple COVID tests as well as a quarantine period when you land in the country and when you return to Australia. No chance of Kona 2020 or Taupo worlds. And even Kona 2021 would be in doubt. Perhaps for locals only.

Sunny Coast 70.3 is a qualifier for St George 2021 AND Taupo now as well, so they are proceeding as if Taupo is on, at least for now. 

Interestingly, Port Mac IM (same day as Sunny Coast) is now qualifier for Kona 2021, again according to the website.

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

When your GDP is so dependent on international tourism you have to, whether other countries will let them out and back in that is another discussion

29 minutes ago, Peter said:

Watch from here

haha jesus how hard was he pushing!

12 minutes ago, wombattri said:

Sunny Coast 70.3 is a qualifier for St George 2021 AND Taupo now as well, so they are proceeding as if Taupo is on, at least for now. 

Interestingly, Port Mac IM (same day as Sunny Coast) is now qualifier for Kona 2021, again according to the website.

So how many Kona spots are lost now with Port mac / Cairns and all the usa and eu races?

For kona 2020?

13 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

When your GDP is so dependent on international tourism you have to, whether other countries will let them out and back in that is another discussion

I'm guessing it's really dependant on the insurance companies, I would imagine most wouldn't allow things like ski companies etc to operate in this climate. So even if companies wanted to open and with the blessing of the PM, if they don't have insurance, they'll stay closed. Same same with triathlon. Kona won't take place without insurance and no insurance companies are going to insure the race if there is a risk someone can be infected from another competitor. Obviously this changes with a vaccine.

NZ could always allow you to come.  But you need to sit in a hotel for 14 days before the race

• Like 1