portfox

Fixing decoupling percentages

I'd like to hear about what methods or training has worked for you.

Now IM has been postponed and winter is getting closer, I'd like to work on my bike leg. In particular, trying to get that decoupling number a little lower.

What specific training would one suggest to fix it? 

I'm on base phase and will be for 4-5 months. 

Volume. Straight out- the more volume per month, the fitter you get. Do whatever allows the maximum volume. That should also include what mentally allows more volume. Think in monthly volumes, not weekly- it helps more prepare a more sustainable load. All else is in the last 10% categories. 

"There are three ways to get fit for cycling. Ride the bike, ride the bike and ride the bike." Eddie B cycling coach

• Like 1

Gee have I been out if the running game got that long? 

I have absolutely no idea what “Fixing decoupling percentages” means! 

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

I have absolutely no idea what “Fixing decoupling percentages means” ! 

I'm glad you said it first. 🤔

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm glad you said it first. 🤔

Ditto. 

I thought it was another stoopid thing from that font of all knowledge aka Gwyneth Paltrow.  

Can someone explain, Ive got no idea what it means

Edited by Surfer
Sp

12 hours ago, roxii said:

I have absolutely no idea what “Fixing decoupling percentages” means! 

See " The Power Meter Handbook: A User's Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes" by Joe Friel - chapter 6 

and after you figure it out please explain it in simple engish

(I don't have a power meter, my performance metrics are limited by: love of chocolate, unrecovered broken foot, and general laziness)

If you ran at Marathon race pace for 30 mins, after the first 5 mins or so, your HR would remain fairly constant.  If you increased the pace your HR would rise and if you slowed down your HR would drop. In other words, there is a relatively consistent connection between your running pace and heart rate. So we refer to them as 'coupled'.

If you continue trying to run at Marathon race pace, one of 2 things will eventually start to happen. Your HR will increase for the same pace, or your HR will remain the same and your pace will drop.  Now your pace and and HR are no longer 'coupled'. So we refer to it as 'decoupling'. Another term is cardiac drift.

In cycling we replace Pace with Power which provides more accurate data (ie. hills, headwind, tailwind, etc).  Although heat can still affect the results. Training Peaks identifies it using "Pw:Hr"

I typically only look at it for my long aerobic rides to gauge my current endurance. A value of 5% or lower indicates that your fitness was good for the length and intensity of the ride.  Helps me decide whether I should do more long rides (improve endurance) or hills (increase threshold).

Edit to Add: Another metric that tells you what you could already feel. But it is handy to track your endurance (ie improvement) over time.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, trifun said:

See " The Power Meter Handbook: A User's Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes" by Joe Friel - chapter 6 

I was gonna say that it sounds like a piece of Friel Obfuscation.

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

I was gonna say that it sounds like a piece of Friel Obfuscation.

He is the best at making simple things sound hard, but he gets to charge lots of money

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Customer said:

Have any of his athletes ever made the podium at an Olympics or World Championship?

He got rich on training peaks and lots of people bought his bible

Thanks Rob, ok I knew of cardiac drift didn’t know that’s what it was now called. 

Fixing decoupling percentages”!!!   **** me, it was much simpler (and probably a shitload more fun) when all you had to worry about was turning up to swim squad, and when and where to meet to run or ride with your mates. 

On 23/03/2020 at 9:07 AM, lawman said:

Fixing decoupling percentages”!!!   **** me, it was much simpler (and probably a shitload more fun) when all you had to worry about was turning up to swim squad, and when and where to meet to run or ride with your mates. 

You have to turn up??

maybe that explains the current form....

• Thanks 1

On 21/03/2020 at 11:03 AM, Rob said:

If you ran at Marathon race pace for 30 mins, after the first 5 mins or so, your HR would remain fairly constant.  If you increased the pace your HR would rise and if you slowed down your HR would drop. In other words, there is a relatively consistent connection between your running pace and heart rate. So we refer to them as 'coupled'.

If you continue trying to run at Marathon race pace, one of 2 things will eventually start to happen. Your HR will increase for the same pace, or your HR will remain the same and your pace will drop.  Now your pace and and HR are no longer 'coupled'. So we refer to it as 'decoupling'. Another term is cardiac drift.

In cycling we replace Pace with Power which provides more accurate data (ie. hills, headwind, tailwind, etc).  Although heat can still affect the results. Training Peaks identifies it using "Pw:Hr"

I typically only look at it for my long aerobic rides to gauge my current endurance. A value of 5% or lower indicates that your fitness was good for the length and intensity of the ride.  Helps me decide whether I should do more long rides (improve endurance) or hills (increase threshold).

Edit to Add: Another metric that tells you what you could already feel. But it is handy to track your endurance (ie improvement) over time.

I think I get it.

OP wants to get fitter?