xblane

The IRONMAN Group's Response to COVID-19

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No. If it goes ahead on limited numbers they'll want something that's over & done with quickly. Pro's do that, but legacy will take it out to the end of the night. If you've been doing IM for years & hold kona as your holy grail & take a legacy spot, do want restrictions that may see the family not able to come to watch?

I am still on a couple of Legacy FB pages. Lots of Legacy athletes are being offered to move from their current year to 2020. If they refuse they get an email back saying that there will be no Legacy spots in 2021 to allow additional AG slots, do they want to reconsider taking 2020.

I do not think that Kona will go ahead this year. However I think that the WTC contingency plan is Pro and Legacy only in 2020. Everyone who AG qualifies in 2020 and 2021 will race Kona 2021.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Wouldn't the February race have to be on Oahu?

I know where you are coming from but that boat has sailed. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I know where you are coming from but that boat has sailed. 

Yes, in about in 1982.

It was probably made of balsa and had some dude named Thor as skipper.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, The Customer said:

Maybe Hawaiian athletes only? That would be cool!

Magnum finally gets his chance to win after dropping out all those years ago to chase down a bad guy ...

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Peter said:

That's a possibility.  But I'll stick with no race.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did a Feb and Oct 2021.

I'd do that and make the Feb one "Ironman Revisited"   Given it has run in Feb before

That’s actually not a bad idea. 

The first three - on Oahu - were February races, as were the first two on the big island. 1982 had two editions. February - Tilley won and Julie Moss did her famous Ali Drive finish wobble & October - which Dave Scott won.

February is the end of the northern hemisphere winter. What are the temps and wind like in Kona then?   

The northern winter – December to March – is peak season in Hawaii. It's in the tropics, so winter/summer doesn't mean so much. One of the reasons for moving it to October was to get it out of the peak season – that happened way before anyone was thinking about qualifying slots or a triathlon season. I don't know what February is like in Kona (except expensive), but April is really nice and it's a lot less crowded.

I suppose it comes dow to how much profit they make at Kona.  

a feb race would be good to allow those Olympic guys to take part. 

This is why America won’t be open come October. 

8354A41F-CED8-4B92-B646-562748C6B3FC.png

8 hours ago, steve said:

The northern winter – December to March – is peak season in Hawaii. It's in the tropics, so winter/summer doesn't mean so much. One of the reasons for moving it to October was to get it out of the peak season – that happened way before anyone was thinking about qualifying slots or a triathlon season. I don't know what February is like in Kona (except expensive), but April is really nice and it's a lot less crowded.

I doubt that December to March this coming year will be anything like a typical peak Hawaiian tourism season. I reckon that the local businesses will be practically begging Ironman to stage the race in February to help with the economic recovery and take up the slack in vacant occupancy rates. 

Edited by Andrew #1

One of the other reasons why the Ironman was changed to October was the difficulty with training through the northern hemisphere winter, as the sport went from boutique-crazy to fringe mainstream. With the advances with indoor training machines that probably isn’t the factor it once was.

On the radio earlier the assumption is domestic travel will be massive after this is stopped, and International travel just won't happen for some time.

So people agree with you Andrew.  Me too.

My next Holiday will be Byron Bay and not Hawaii like previously planned.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

My next Holiday will be Byron Bay and not Hawaii like previously planned.

My next holiday will be Stradbroke island. Just like the last one.

14 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

My next holiday will be Stradbroke island. Just like the last one.

North Stradbroke?

Some lovely peaceful swimming in the very early mornings at Brown Lake. Short laps, but a beautiful setting.

Excuse the ugly mug, but I'm a selfie novice. :)

image.thumb.png.69bbd96cdb365e455abc84b56068bc16.png

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

North Stradbroke?

Some lovely peaceful swimming in the very early mornings at Brown Lake. Short laps, but a beautiful setting.

My island home :wub:

• Like 1

Cylinder beach had an extended lagoon behind the main sandbar over summer. At high tide i could get in about 400M a length. Even at low tide I could do about 180M. So, for the 4 days I was there in January I belted out between 1 and 2km each day, before walking across the bar and body surfing for another hour. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Cylinder beach had an extended lagoon behind the main sandbar over summer. At high tide i could get in about 400M a length. Even at low tide I could do about 180M. So, for the 4 days I was there in January I belted out between 1 and 2km each day, before walking across the bar and body surfing for another hour. 

That's where the old Stradbroke Tri used to be every June & December.

Years back when there was less traffic over there we used to ride from home to Cleveland & get the ferry over early morning. We'd ride to Pt Lookout and drop the bikes at a mate's holiday house. We'd then run to the surf beach & body surf out the back for 2 or 3 hours then ride home in the afternoon. It made for a hell of a training day, and was great fun. I'd hate to ride across these days with the traffic there now. We used to get the likes of Fidler and a few other quick mates along too. Oh to be young again.

• Like 2

On 28/03/2020 at 9:54 PM, Peter said:

So far with races cancelled. That's 450 age group slots currently out of the 2020 Kona pool. 250 definitely outside normal qualifying window and another 200 yet to be determined.

In an email just now about port in sept

2020 IRONMAN Australia provides 40 qualifying slots to the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship, held in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

No news on kona but suggest its not happening

I can't see Australians being able to travel internationally until mid 2021 or until we get a vaccine which experts have said will take 18 months. I'd imagine most European countries would also follow suit. There will be significantly fewer opportunities to qualify for Kona 2021. If you don't in a country that doesn't have a qualifying race then you could be a bit stuck. Also with CV so widespread in the USA are Hawaii going to want to have an open door policy even if domestic travel is permitted in the USA. No vaccine, no Kona.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Does any Kona qualifier race in September have slots for the following month? I can't think of any in the last 20 years. Even IM Canada, at the end of August, has slots for 2021 – that's not a change, it was announced that way last year. Back in the day, there was a mid distance qualifier (between Oly and half IM distance) on the U.S. east coast that I think was in September. I forget the real name – we used to call it the last train to Kona. But it wasn't IM distance.

Commercial flights from California to Hawaii, including Kailua Kona, are still available, although on a greatly reduced schedule. A 14 day quarantine order is in effect on arrival though. If outdoor events are allowed by then, I'm betting it happens. WTC won't want to give up registration fees, sponsorships or TV revenue unless forced to by government order.

Who would really fly to Hawaii. Do 14 days inside. Race. Then fly home and do it all again? 14 days that is. 

you’d have to be the most selfish and self absorbed person in the world. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I can think of one. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Who would really fly to Hawaii. Do 14 days inside. Race. Then fly home and do it all again? 14 days that is. 

Sounds like most triathletes. Especially those in full Ironman phase. ...

Actually, it may not be as selfish and self absorbed as you think. Assuming that one can fly in and out of the states subject to 14 days of self isolation after each trip, then its likely that there would still be some sort of social distancing in place generally until a vaccine is developed and in wide distribution.

If social distancing is still a thing in 12 to 18 months, and folk are still working remotely, if they are working at all, then self isolating in some villa overlooking Kona, whilst swimming in an endless pool, cycling on a kickr and running on a treadmill would make little to no difference to what one is doing back at home anyways. In fact, in the new age of Zoom conferencing etc, effectively - other than race day - every day on the trip would be like a normal working day. 

Edited by Andrew #1

I loved my time (and family did as well) in Kona. I’d do it all again, not in this environment however.

The 28 days isolation would suck but not as much as the $1,000,000 AUD to make it happen with weaker AUD now! 

4 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

every day on the trip would be like a normal working day. 

Except you'd be paying a King's ransom in AUD for the accommodation for that privilege.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Except you'd be paying a King's ransom in AUD for the accommodation for that privilege.

Clearly you will be 80 by the time you get to kona

• Haha 1

On 31/03/2020 at 5:04 PM, Ironnerd said:

I am still on a couple of Legacy FB pages. Lots of Legacy athletes are being offered to move from their current year to 2020. If they refuse they get an email back saying that there will be no Legacy spots in 2021 to allow additional AG slots, do they want to reconsider taking 2020.

I do not think that Kona will go ahead this year. However I think that the WTC contingency plan is Pro and Legacy only in 2020. Everyone who AG qualifies in 2020 and 2021 will race Kona 2021.

This was discussed on the IMTalk podcast. If Kona goes ahead in 2020 it will be Pro and Legacy only.

2 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

This was discussed on the IMTalk podcast. If Kona goes ahead in 2020 it will be Pro and Legacy only.

That was said back a few pages.