Jump to content
xblane

The IRONMAN Group's Response to COVID-19

Recommended Posts

Once when I was doing laps at a private club pool a pastor and his congregation showed up. He got in the shallow end, fully clothed, and started baptising people. They had rented the pool, but didn't seem to mind me being there. I was training for my first IM, so I just kept swimming.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Are swimming pools places of worship? ūüėāūü§ĒūüėÄūü§£

Actually some of the hot chicks I have swum with over my athletic lifetime I have¬†¬†worshipped. ūüíĖ

Edited by Chuckie M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Ironman port 13 sept 

same date as (the currently scheduled) sunny coast 70.3. 

I wonder if they'll move it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Ironman port 13 sept 

Get a kona spot and try and get airfares and accommodation.   
 

yeah that’s gunna be cheap. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s if you are allowed to travel to and from the US then at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gutsy move scheduling in September.  
They sure will look like dicks if they have to postpone again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Prince said:

Gutsy move scheduling in September.  
They sure will look like dicks if they have to postpone again. 

But if they don't do it now, and it is OK to proceed, someone else will have already put something major on that weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The email says Kona and 70.3 qualification more info next week. I think cairns will be off their schedule is pretty jammed now for spring and im eager to see what is happening with Kona itself Aussies may not be able to travel then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received the following email shortly before the Ironman Aust email.

Two endurance races, same weekend.

Let's see who has the more reliable crystal ball.

Cancellation of
2020 GNW Ultras


Reluctantly, Terrigal Trotters has decided to cancel this year’s Great North Walk Ultras scheduled for 12 September 2020.
 
Although the event is still six months away, the Australian government seems to be anticipating at least six months of restrictions and hardship as it seeks to manage the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.  In this climate of uncertainty, it does not make sense for our non-profit Club to invest further money and volunteer time into preparation for an event we may not be able to stage for one reason or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roxii said:

That’s if you are allowed to travel to and from the US then at all. 

Just tell immigration who you are and what you have done (in the world of triathlon). They will understand I am sure!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Prince said:

Gutsy move scheduling in September.  
They sure will look like dicks if they have to postpone again. 

And they think that peeps are going to be able to train through winter?  I get it that some people train on zwift etc, but all those outdoor kms alone  due to social distancing?   And more importantly, all the pools are closed ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UTA rescheduled for October 25. Apparently it clashes with something in western sydney, judging by the Facebook comments 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SomeTri said:

And they think that peeps are going to be able to train through winter?  I get it that some people train on zwift etc, but all those outdoor kms alone  due to social distancing?   And more importantly, all the pools are closed ...

Outdoor kms alone are the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every ironman and 70.3 in Sept/ October?. I am calling BS. Challenge Roth cancelled .ūüė†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am waiting for Kona next to be called off ?. Look at the number of cases as per today in the USA??.ūü§Ē

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Turts said:

UTA rescheduled for October 25. Apparently it clashes with something in western sydney, judging by the Facebook comments 

Yup Nepean Triathlon, they don't have exclusive rights to that weekend, but pretty much everyone out that way knows it is on that same weekend every year. 

I guess part of the problem is, they would have asked TriNSW for sanctioning and they would have looked at their calendar and gone...yup, that's ok as NSW Club Champs is the following week, but they would have not asked anyone else as that is not the job of Ironman, they would have only made sure another triathlon was not on in the same state. 

Silver lining for Roth (and my friends going) is that Scotty and I will go now to cheer them on¬†ūü§£, as by then as that will be about time for another OS trip, which will be part of our honeymoon as the wedding is now postponed to June 2021.¬†

Edited by MissJess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Turts said:

UTA rescheduled for October 25. Apparently it clashes with something in western sydney, judging by the Facebook comments 

 

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Yup Nepean Triathlon, they don't have exclusive rights to that weekend, but pretty much everyone out that way knows it is on that same weekend every year.

No, UTA is scheduled for October 24. ie the Saturday. Nepean will be on the Sunday.

That's not a clash, it's a convenience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

 

No, UTA is scheduled for October 24. ie the Saturday. Nepean will be on the Sunday.

That's not a clash, it's a convenience!

Sorry, meant the weekend of. Didn't look at my calendar. 

UTA is technically then also the 22nd and 23rd . 

Although in my case from last year, it was both days! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Turts said:

Sorry, meant the weekend of. Didn't look at my calendar. 

UTA is technically then also the 22nd and 23rd . 

Although in my case from last year, it was both days! 

Nepean wont start until about 7am. Later depending on your wave.

You've still got it covered. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Challenge Roth cancelled Felix is asking for a donation to help keep the race going. At least he is honest and transparent. Ironman has provided silence and bull shit race dates.opening entries soon?. A honey trap. ūü§Ē

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul Every said:

 

No, UTA is scheduled for October 24. ie the Saturday. Nepean will be on the Sunday.

That's not a clash, it's a convenience!

Back in the day you would have done UTA then Nepean on the ride home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul Every said:

 

No, UTA is scheduled for October 24. ie the Saturday. Nepean will be on the Sunday.

That's not a clash, it's a convenience!

We took advantage of the fact that the GC Marathon was the day after the Brisbane to Warwick bike race (180km).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event organisers all over the country are busy trying to reschedule 6 months worth of events into a 3 month period at the end of the year. And that 3 month period already HAD events scheduled, so effectively 9 months of racing in 3 months. There will be clashes. 
 

But think of the opportunities....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roxii said:

Back in the day you would have done UTA then Nepean on the ride home. 

Nepean is just a gentle 50 km roll down the hill. Ideal recovery ride then all good to go again. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The new guy said:

Event organisers all over the country are busy trying to reschedule 6 months worth of events into a 3 month period at the end of the year. And that 3 month period already HAD events scheduled, so effectively 9 months of racing in 3 months. There will be clashes. 
 

But think of the opportunities....

All true of course but three issues to consider:  

Whether the RD (or company) will survive the lean times to be able to put a race on.

Will they be able to get anyone willing to volunteer (especially in he early stages of post CV restrictions).

If like me, you've lost your job now, filling in that financial hole would mean that race entries fall way down on the list of things to spend money on. Even if you've already paid, you'd still have to consider fuel, hotels etc.

Personally, I think it will be next year that you really see some RD and race casualties, as I'm sure there will be a massive effort to get some semblance of normality ASAP but the real reckoning could be next year when the decision has to be made whether to put on a 'fresh' non postponed race.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Personally, I think it will be next year that you really see some RD and race casualties, as I'm sure there will be a massive effort to get some semblance of normality ASAP but the real reckoning could be next year when the decision has to be made whether to put on a 'fresh' non postponed race.

Actually, I think this year is going to be the teller. Can they put a race on with the money they have left, considering a high proportion of the entrants will be transferring, so there'll be little new money coming in, and they may have lost a lot of the money they took from the entrants in fees & costs for the race that was cancelled now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Actually, I think this year is going to be the teller. Can they put a race on with the money they have left, considering a high proportion of the entrants will be transferring, so there'll be little new money coming in, and they may have lost a lot of the money they took from the entrants in fees & costs for the race that was cancelled now.

Yeah I guess it would depend if you're trying to put on a race that has already had sunk costs or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Nepean wont start until about 7am. Later depending on your wave.

You've still got it covered. :thumbsup:

Me? Nope. Everyone else? Mostly. 

I got in around lunch. 

But this time just the 11, so a finish by 7am Sunday should be possible. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other problem will be annual leave for many people. Many of us will use up our annual leave entitlements over the next few months. Taking time off to travel to a race will not be possible later in the year. It also likely that most people will not have the funds to pay for travel, accommodation, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2020 at 6:41 PM, Ironnerd said:

It is only us Boomers that would know who Fonzie was and what the significance of jumping the shark was.

Yeah, nah. That’s a peak childhood memory for us genXers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far with races cancelled. That's 450 age group slots currently out of the 2020 Kona pool. 250 definitely outside normal qualifying window and another 200 yet to be determined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28 March 2020 at 9:54 PM, Peter said:

So far with races cancelled. That's 450 age group slots currently out of the 2020 Kona pool. 250 definitely outside normal qualifying window and another 200 yet to be determined.

So Peter, can you you give us the scoop on how they might make up the numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

So Peter, can you you give us the scoop on how they might make up the numbers. 

I’ll scoop it.  There won’t be a kona 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should say not as we know it.  
 

I don’t think it will run at all but you jut never know, to save face they might just do a professional race.  
 

I really can’t See an age group race this 2020 October 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming the government doesn't order it, why would they cancel the age group race? They could wait until the day before to open up registration, and still fill up the field. They could hold it even with a 14 day quarantine still in place ‚Äď there's no shortage of people who will jump at a Kona slot under any conditions. Mandatory two¬†week early arrival? No worries.¬†Triple the registration fee? Done deal. Require cyclists to stay six feet apart? Oh. Never mind.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro and Legacy athletes only if Kona 2020 goes ahead. 2021 Kona will have no legacy spots and AG qualifiers from 2020 and 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Pro and Legacy athletes only if Kona 2020 goes ahead. 2021 Kona will have no legacy spots and AG qualifiers from 2020 and 2021.

No. If it goes ahead on limited numbers they'll want something that's over & done with quickly. Pro's do that, but legacy will take it out to the end of the night. If you've been doing IM for years & hold kona as your holy grail & take a legacy spot, do want restrictions that may see the family not able to come to watch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would it be limited numbers? WTC could probably fill out the AG field with Hawaiians alone if it wanted to. It doesn't have to give up registration fees or any other race day revenue.

Please don't tell me you were thinking that they're worried about the integrity of the competition.

Edited by steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steve said:

Why would it be limited numbers? WTC could probably fill out the AG field with Hawaiians alone if it wanted to. It doesn't have to give up registration fees or any other race day revenue.

Please don't tell me you were thinking that they're worried about the integrity of the competition.

No, more about restrictions to travel etc that may still be in place. Trump may want to let his animals out of the zoo, but he won't want to open the borders up to full scale trafic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No, more about restrictions to travel etc that may still be in place. 

I'm with Ex. I predict Aussies travel ban will not release until there is a vaccine. (I hope to be wrong though.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There'll be no problem getting 1,800 (or whatever the number is now) full price registrations, even with the current travel restrictions in place. If the ban on outdoor events is lifted by October, which is the way to bet right now, why would they pass up the money? It would be a bummer for people who couldn't travel, but WTC will crying over that all the way to the bank.

Edited by steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, steve said:

There'll be no problem getting 1,800 (or whatever the number is now) full price registrations, even with the current travel restrictions in place. If the ban on outdoor events is lifted by October, which is the way to bet right now, why would they pass up the money? It would be a bummer for people who couldn't travel, but WTC will crying over that all the way to the bank.

Probably right.

And rather than have people saying that they are demeaning the WC status of the event, they simply say that this is their way of giving back to the people of Hawaii that have helped stage this epic event over the years. What an opportunity. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still reckon a postponement of Kona of 1-2 months might be on the cards. WTC might need that to hold sufficient qualifying races around the world between August and October. It makes Taupo a bit problematic with those athletes wanting to double up, but this would be a small problem anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tipping no kona.  You can quote me on that.  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'm tipping no kona.  You can quote me on that.  ;) 

Or if it does go ahead it will be US athletes only. 
Just like how they like their ‚Äúchampionships‚Ä̬†

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Maybe Hawaiian athletes only? That would be cool!

That's a possibility.  But I'll stick with no race.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did a Feb and Oct 2021.

I'd do that and make the Feb one "Ironman Revisited"   Given it has run in Feb before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Peter said:

That's a possibility.  But I'll stick with no race.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did a Feb and Oct 2021.

I'd do that and make the Feb one "Ironman Revisited"   Given it has run in Feb before

Wouldn't the February race have to be on Oahu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...