Flanman

A Metre Matters

Probably the clearest witness to the accident did everything he could to get away from it as quick as he could.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Didn't help that rider, but it clearly demonstrates the responsibility both cars and bikes have.

The bike can't assume there won't be a car turning when traffic is stopped and the car can't assume there will be no bike coming along the cycle path. Both road users failed to take proper care of themselves and each other I think in this one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katz said:

Didn't help that rider, but it clearly demonstrates the responsibility both cars and bikes have.

The bike can't assume there won't be a car turning when traffic is stopped and the car can't assume there will be no bike coming along the cycle path. Both road users failed to take proper care of themselves and each other I think in this one. 

Clearly the cyclist was taking part in the Commuter world Championships.

I reckon the 1 metre rule is causing a lot on angst amongst drivers. Angst among drivers causes accidents.

For example; if you are on single lane road and the car behind is really good and obeys the 1 metre rule (despite me calling them through) and wont pass.... it pisses off the cars behind and they end up doing stupid stuff which is worse than a car passing you in a safe manner inside the 1 m rule.

Like Mick says above.....we both have responsibility to co-exist. It can be done. 30 years (for me) of cycling proves it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I reckon the 1 metre rule is causing a lot on angst amongst drivers. Angst among drivers causes accidents.

For example; if you are on single lane road and the car behind is really good and obeys the 1 metre rule (despite me calling them through) and wont pass.... it pisses off the cars behind and they end up doing stupid stuff which is worse than a car passing you in a safe manner inside the 1 m rule.

I must admit that a lot of the angst is caused by cars feeling like they need to be all 4 wheels in the oncoming lane to pass, despite me waving them past. 

I've been in situations where a queue of cars has formed behind because the lead car refuses to pass despite there being heaps of room, and then I cop it from a car a few back about holding everyone up.

At the end of the day, there are dickhead motorists and there are dickhead cyclists, and it's up the majority to make those dickheads the minority.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BNothling said:

At the end of the day, there are dickhead motorists and there are dickhead cyclists, and it's up the majority to make those dickheads the minority.

Yep.

11 hours ago, BNothling said:

I must admit that a lot of the angst is caused by cars feeling like they need to be all 4 wheels in the oncoming lane to pass, despite me waving them past. 

I've been in situations where a queue of cars has formed behind because the lead car refuses to pass despite there being heaps of room, and then I cop it from a car a few back about holding everyone up.

Yep & I’m have been guilty of this lately. Almost binned it chasing a KOM the other day. Lesson learnt. 

I have no issue with them passing me safely at 50 cm or less. Usually I'll know they are there etc and we are working together.

As I said above and bt myself and BNothling..... too many cars refuse to come through even after you have made the effort to call them through etc etc.

On faster Open roads I can totally understand the 1 Metre rule. Rather than having a balnket rule, they should have just made a decision years ago to eucate drivers to make smarter decisions. But then again....lots of cyclist need to be less arrogant!

50 cm is OK if you are a competent cyclist riding steadily in a straight line.

But as a car passing a cyclist, you have to allow a safety margin for movement:

- moving 30 cm to dodge a pot hole

- accidental sideways movement when you grab the bidon

- movement when you change from sitting to standing

- natural sideways movement when you are climbing out of the seat

All the above can happen on a 50kph road.  Being clipped by a car mirror can be enough to knock you off your bike.

And that is before you consider that the cyclist may be a beginner - first time riding on the road.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

50 cm is OK if you are a competent cyclist riding steadily in a straight line.

But as a car passing a cyclist, you have to allow a safety margin for movement:

- moving 30 cm to dodge a pot hole

- accidental sideways movement when you grab the bidon

- movement when you change from sitting to standing

- natural sideways movement when you are climbing out of the seat

All the above can happen on a 50kph road.  Being clipped by a car mirror can be enough to knock you off your bike.

And that is before you consider that the cyclist may be a beginner - first time riding on the road.

Agree. I should have stated my comments mostly refer to area where I might be climbing ie: For Sydney folks..... Akuna Bay, McCarrs Creek Rd, Bobbin Head etc. 

Drivers carefulness/safety is actually causing more danger/accidents...... as they often go too far wide and any on coming car or bike has nowhere to go. I live near Bobbin head. Everytime we hear an ambulance it is onvariably another cyclist going to hospital.

6 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I live near Bobbin head. Everytime we hear an ambulance it is onvariably another cyclist going to hospital.

I live at the foot of Mt Glorious, and when I hear the sirens it's invariably a motorcyclist. They've gone to the extent of siting first responders up on the mountains on weekends now.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I live at the foot of Mt Glorious, and when I hear the sirens it's invariably a motorcyclist. They've gone to the extent of siting first responders up on the mountains on weekends now.

Same with Mount Mee.

But just ask the locals,  the real problem on the mountain are the cyclists...not the crotch rocket flogs crashing their brains out every weekend.

Sold my crotch rockets yesterday.  Still feel sad 😞