portfox

Saucony Gurus

As most do, we explore the trail options, and I must say it's fun. So time to invest in some trail shoes.

I've been happy as a pig in mud with Saucony Rides for the road. Does Saucony have an ugly sister twin in the trail dept? 

Or, what others (brands) would the masters recommend? 

I've been exclusively Saucony for my running shoes for a number of years now but I don't run trails. Some of their trail range models are Peregrine, Excursion, Mad River and Guide TR.

Recently bought a pair of Saucony Mad River TR. Heavier and higher ramp than I usually wear, but so far I like them.

First few runs the heal occasionally touched down first which I found annoying (due to the higher ramp). But I seem to have adapted and it no longer happens.

I race Trail Runs in Inov8 Terraclaw that give you heaps of ground feel which I really like when going fast (ie. Racing). The Mad Rivers have a lot more cushion and therefore less feel. But not as much as a Hoka. Grip seems pretty good, but I haven't really tested them out on anything technical yet.

Bought them because I am training for a 50km Trail Run. Needed something that would protect my feet and legs. Love the booty construction and wide toe box. So far they have been great. Planning to also try the Hoka Speedgoats.

But will probably still use the Inov8 Terraclaws for the shorter (15 to 21km) Trail Running races over Winter

Courtney Atkinson does mostly radicasl stuff for Redbull these days and is always running trails. He is a big promoter of Salamon! Seems to have a varied selection.

My only association with Salamon is - ski boots.... so I can't say if they are any good for running or not.

What trails are you going to do?  Most trail runs I attend, the majority of competitors tend to go with normal 'road' running shoes.  I've gotten a few trail shoes in the past, find they get useless when a bit of rock scrambling gets thrown in the mix or the trail is not crumbly or powdery

Nothing too crazy, I have rolled my ankle a few times, and someone pointed out that trail boots provide a little more stability by width.