KieranR

Lacking Motivation

This is probably going to be a whole heap of dribble as I try and get the right words strung together.

My motivation to train or even maintain a healthy lifestyle is lacking and disappearing at a concerning rate, I wouldn't say I race, I participate which I am ok with, I've never had the competitive drive to want to win.  it'd be nice, but meh.  

I had the intention of doing Busso half in May and then Cairns full IM in June, right now I couldn't care about either if I'm honest, I have zero interest in getting up early to train - my thought process goes like this, get everything ready for the morning, go to bed, sleep, wake up early before the alarm which I do, then turn alarm off and go back to sleep, essentially saying f#@k training.  I then wake up get my spear gun and boat and go diving whenever I can.

Today I made the decision to not do Busso half so instead the wife and I are going to come down and volunteer, I have flights and accommodations sorted for Cairns and my mum and dad are coming up to see me - they don't care if I race or not, but the whole reason they planned to come up is too see me race but 12 weeks out and im not interested.

I have zero training mates up here and yes I have tried to find some to no avail.  traditionally I've been a loner and prefer to do things alone, but now im starting to feel like I could use some who are at my level, which is slow.

My weight has crept back up, and currently sit at 96 - 97 kg which is not good.

So what do I do, how can I change this current direction? and yes I know I know, just get out the door and f#@king do it......sadly that doesn't work for me.

I am not the type of person who can just exercise daily or whatever for the sake of being healthy, I don't have that drive, I need a goal, but right now even having a goal isn't working for me.  I have not paid an entry into either Busso half or cairns.

3 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I then wake up get my spear gun and boat and go diving whenever I can.

If that's the drive at the moment, just go with it mate.

If you can stretch that out into some other water based activities that might get the heart rate up a bit, that's cool.

Read any of the billion threads I've had going over the years about the same sorta thing, I'm not much more help :)

Pick a smaller goal. 

I had a goal to win and move up a grade at the local crits.  Took a while but I did it. 

I sometimes think that Ironmans and to some extent even half Ironmans are too large. 

why not a half marathon? 

even a team at cairns and just do the run.  Or even the swim and run in the half ironman. And try for a goal time in the swim or run? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Get on strava & start taking local KOM 

Why does it need to be local? First thing I do when booking a holiday is checking out which KOMS I'll be aiming for. 😷

Tip: You have no chance of getting a KOM in Mallorca. 1) Pro teams train here. 2) too many retirees on electric bikes

9 hours ago, KieranR said:

I have zero interest in getting up early to train - my thought process goes like this, get everything ready for the morning, go to bed, sleep, wake up early before the alarm which I do, then turn alarm off and go back to sleep, essentially saying f#@k training.  I then wake up get my spear gun and boat and go diving whenever I can.

Keep getting the gear ready, don't set the alarm, if you wake and feel like training train, if feel like putting extra food on the table do that, or if you sleep in that's fine. Have a week or two off,.

I'm like you and only train to compete, or escape reality

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Keep getting the gear ready, don't set the alarm, if you wake and feel like training train, if feel like putting extra food on the table do that, or if you sleep in that's fine. Have a week or two off,.

I'm like you and only train to compete, or escape reality

Exactly this. 

This is what makes this sport & this forum so great. 

10 hours ago, The Customer said:

Why does it need to be local? First thing I do when booking a holiday is checking out which KOMS I'll be aiming for. 😷

Tip: You have no chance of getting a KOM in Mallorca. 1) Pro teams train here. 2) too many retirees on electric bikes

Exactly. I love doing work trips to small towns so I can target the local KOM. 
The standard joke with my daughter, is don't come home until u get a KOM.

my last trip away (not for work)was to Nice & Monaco 🤣🥺 like Mallorca, no way I was getting a KOM 

I believe everyone suffers from lack of motivation at times, so don't feel like you are alone in that matter.  And training by yourself is a 1,000 times harder than training with a group.

I used to play football when I was a Uni student. Didn't have a car, so my mate used to pick me up on his motorbike for training  That was the only year we both made it to every session. Lots of times one or both of us didn't feel like training, but I knew he was coming to pick me up and he knew I was waiting to be picked up. Note, this was way before the days of mobile phones (or email).

Lots of people would say I'm addicted to Triathlon, but I still take a break from all training every year (typically about 6 weeks).  I live on a road very popular with cyclists, so I always see them going past. At the moment (currently on a break), I think better them than me. Once my mind changes and I start thinking "wouldn't mind going for ride", I know it is time to start training again.

First 3 months or so of training will be "train if I feel like it and the weather is good". Main focus is to enjoy every session (swim squads I attend are 4km, early in the session I treat anything after the first 2km as optional). Then I'll start adding a little structure (ie. every fortnight needs at least one long ride and one long run), but most sessions will still be to feel (my swims will extend to 2.5 to 3km). Finally I'll enter race prep when every session is structured and I need to train regardless of weather or motivation (and now swim 4km). Followed by another break. Length of the race prep depends on how long you can hold focus. For the average person, it is often only 8 weeks.

Another thing is that, outside of my break, I rarely go much longer than 6 weeks without some kind of race. Often Trail Running races, Half Marathons, Cycling events, Duathlons in the off season. And Sprint and Olympic distance races in the lead up to a Half Ironman. This means the focus is never on one event. I have continual short term targets throughout the year.

The above is what I have found works me. Everyone is different. But if we all share our methods, it may help you discover what works for you.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tyno said:

If that's the drive at the moment, just go with it mate.

Yeah if spear-fishing is what you enjoy and your current passion, then go with it. You can train through short periods when you lack motivation, but not weeks on end. Just train when u feel like it and if that's never and all you do is spear-fish then that's OK!

Yeh Keiran, I am with you on this on one.Complete lack of motivation for the past 12 months, which is usually not the case for me. Just CBF with training etc.I know how you feel.

• Like 1

Ebbs and flows. Just natural. Fall back to a base which is sustainable, and does not have to be very high e.g. 3-4 hours running a week, and then when the motivation flows again go with it. Even if it is a 10 year respite, doesn't matter. No healthier to be doing 10+ hours a week than 5. Taking mental grind in to account, triathlon is pretty wearying longer term as constant round of this and that, some love it, but it wears most out, if atop the normal daily grind.

Why not just focus on your health rather then focusing on a race or a KOM.  If you focus is on your health you will watch what you eat, train to satisfy yourself rather then destroy yourself by trying to accummulate miles to get through a race. 

Set some health related goals not race related.  Both physical and mental.  

Physically could be weight related, completing 100 push ups a day, Run everyday of the month. 

Mentally could be staying in the moment each day rather then focusing on the past or the future, controlling everything put in front of you.  Replacing a negative with a positive.  A can't with a can. 

Maybe even getting healthier and fitter to do stuff with your kids and wife in 5-10 years. 

I saw the excitement on your boys face when he caught the ball off the roof.  Find something that gives you that excitement.  It doesn't need to be race.  

• Like 2

I totally understand where you're coming from. I had my heart set on the full at IM Cairns, but then tore my calf, and my training has nosedived. Add to this a heap of work stress and long hours, and I am finding trying to balance everything very difficult.

I did race on the weekend - the aquabike at Tweed, didn't perform "well" by my standards but just having a dig again was enough to reignite the training fire. 

This youtube vid I watched recently has helped though in deciding how to get myself out of a rut. Set small achievable goals and snowball them into bigger ones. 

• Like 1

I would do whatever you enjoy most! Whether that be triathlon, fishing or something else entirely is kind of immaterial...

I reset all my goals and ambitions after birth of bub in July, taking any and all pressure or expectation off myself. So, currently unfit and over weight but enjoying being a Dad!

Maybe also think about smaller goals like a few others have said - 5km perhaps (or Parkrun if one near you?), or a shorter swim just to relax. Also, have a look at some of the Zwift group rides / groups, I now train (or should I say ride!) 100% indoors, and there are some very friendly, social groups on there to get to know - which may help overcome some of the geographic isolation... from being pretty intimidated by the whole zwift thing initially I've now ended up as a ride leader for one of the group's (on a beginners ride) and love the volunteering and giving back to the community in a little way when I can...

Good luck, and take the pressure off and find what you find fun

• Like 2

No point pushing crap uphill, you'll end up hating the sport. Give the tri's a rest and do what others have been suggesting, go spearfishing!! 

I hear a lot go through the same thing and there isn't one answer for everyone, unfortunately, myself included. Only recently I've gone through the same lack of motivation. So what do you do? buy another bike, a mountain bike. I think riding the same routes on the TT just did my head in and laying there in bed thinking about the same bit of road had the same thought, lay in bed instead.
I've switched from road to trail running (exploring) and have found a new passion for both the bike and the run. Call it different scenery if you like, but tearing down a hill knowing you might come a gutser is exciting stuff. lol

Hope you sort it, IM's hurt, the good hurt!!

Thanks for all the comments.  It’s tough, body needs to do something, head agrees but I just can’t bring myself to do it, sounds like a soft excuse but it’s what it is.  I went diving again today, I’m at peace out in the blue.  As much as I love diving it’s not a form Of fitness that I require.  I shall keep diving as I love it and it provides food for the family.  Trying to find the mojo to exercise is what’s needed.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Thanks for all the comments.  It’s tough, body needs to do something, head agrees but I just can’t bring myself to do it, sounds like a soft excuse but it’s what it is.  I went diving again today, I’m at peace out in the blue.  As much as I love diving it’s not a form Of fitness that I require.  I shall keep diving as I love it and it provides food for the family.  Trying to find the mojo to exercise is what’s needed.

Are there are swim clubs, run clubs up in Karattha?

I am also lacking a bit of motivation. Being out of the busy job market, it feels so laidback at home. Having a sore throat doesn't help either (first one in a few years).In fact, I have decided not to do the Batemans Bay in a few weeks. I have however, signed up for the Gong Oly then onto half a Port. Whilst I am enjoying what I am doing at the moment other than Tris, I feel I am letting myself down physically. Maybe there is a change in the wind for me.

I am re-setting the plan again for the start of next Monday. Hopefully being regimented will drive commitment then outcome. This might help you too - small steps again to start. Best of luck.

FM

17 hours ago, zed said:

Are there are swim clubs, run clubs up in Karattha?

Nope not for adults.   junior swim club is fantastic though.  There was a social run club but it’s very hot and miss as to when it’s on.  Rumour has it we have a park run coming soon but that’s gone very quiet.  

we do have a hungry jacks opening soon though.

17 hours ago, Tyno said:

You could take up ultra running just to show your brother up :)

He is turning into a dick banger lately, all he does is push his watch and shoe ambassador shit up people’s arse.  I told him off.

he knows I could outrun him on a trail.  Actually it’s proven, I’ve done it before, I destroyed him on a trail run in nth qld about five years ago.  

• Haha 1

So maybe you n FM can be virtual training buddies. Agree what day you'll start , Monday is as good as any, then what you'll do & for how long & importantly what time. Set up a new topic on here something like 'FM & Kierans training diary'. Post after youre done & a pic is even better. 

Example: you agree a 15 min run on Monday at xxxxo'clock. Wednesday 30 min on the trainer at xxxx o'clock. Down the track you could zwift together.  Friday 500m swim at xxxxo'clock. Weekend is whatever then train together the following week. 

It could be a beautiful thing 😍

Ill be there to cheer you on if you race in Cairns, if not catch you for a beer anyway. 🍻

Edited by skel
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, The Customer said:

You don't have to do anything. Triathlon training is not compulsory in life.

Who would have thought.......

Since retiring from Ironman racing, my weight has been the most consitenet it has ever been. I'm enjoying my riding, eating well, but not obsessing about food. I enjoy hiking, running and walking the dog, when I can be bothered. I haven't swam since June last year.

I'm also 3 to 4kg lighter than I ever raced Ironman at.

BTW your instagram photos at the moment are making me jealous.  Tipping that roadie has a few miles on the clock

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

Yah. 12 years old and owes me nothing. Easy to throw in a bike box and go traveling with.

That's exactly why I'm going to keep my non disc roadie. Perfect for travel,leaving in hotels etc.

13 hours ago, The Customer said:

You don't have to do anything. Triathlon training is not compulsory in life.

Attention G train, your account has been hacked. There's no way you could have written those words. 

• Haha 1

Well, The fresh Monday start will not occur now. I am sitting in the doctors surgery waiting to get part of the top of my nose taken out. Another bloody skin cancer (BCC). Not much skin there so a few stitches expected. No exercise for at least another week if not two. There will be too much pressure on the stitches.

hopefully I’ll be ok for the Gong in April and enough training under my belt for Port Half. 

ho-hum

I thinks Cairns will be a write off. I am looking at Sunshine coast 70.3 and HB100 in reality...😶

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Well, The fresh Monday start will not occur now. I am sitting in the doctors surgery waiting to get part of the top of my nose taken out. Another bloody skin cancer (BCC). Not much skin there so a few stitches expected. No exercise for at least another week if not two. There will be too much pressure on the stitches.

hopefully I’ll be ok for the Gong in April and enough training under my belt for Port Half. 

ho-hum

All the best FM x

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

All the best FM x

Ta. Well nothing for two weeks now. Lots of stitches and a bit of nose taken. I feel like I’ve been punched in the face. Bloody sore. No training, no golf, no smiling. Can’t split the stitches. Tablets to stop infection and I must keep dry.

A bit of arse sitting and walking. 

FM

PS: lying down with a BEX now....

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

Yeah nah, Monday doesn’t work for me either, will be nursing a tired and sore 7yr old son, whose currently in Perth having surgery to fix his broken elbow......

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Oh  no! What happened?

Ambition outweighed ability in the wet weather on the flying fox at school

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KieranR said:

Ambition outweighed ability in the wet weather on the flying fox at school

I'm impressed school still had the flying fox.

Good to see kid's allowed to be kid's 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

Agree & who doesnt love the flying fox!

All the best with his recovery & this time off for you might ignite the motivation. Enjoy the diving , water is good for tne soul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Stupidity and cotton wool hasn’t flowed into the Pilbara school system yet

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dressing off. More ugly than normal. Don’t forget to have a skin check regularly. I do and they still find shit. 

FM

2101C329-6728-4E63-A811-770ACE0F3EBD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Gee mate, keep that up and you will be uglier than me soon. 

Hope thats the last for a while. 

• Haha 1

On 13/03/2020 at 5:21 PM, KieranR said:

Yeah nah, Monday doesn’t work for me either, will be nursing a tired and sore 7yr old son, whose currently in Perth having surgery to fix his broken elbow......

Hey Kieran how is junior?

55 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Ouch! That looks painful, how long til the stitches come out?

Next Thursday. Puffiness in eyes and nose has come down. I was hoping the stitches would pull in enough to tighten my extra chins. Unfortunately it only pulled my ears out further. 

FM

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Hey Kieran how is junior?

Juddy is doing fine, got back on Monday and hasn’t stopped climbing and jumping on n everything since.  Full cast shoulder to finger tips isn’t slowing him down one bit.  Going on current levels of energy I expect us to be back at hospital soon to get the other arm done......it’s bound to happen.

he tried running and sliding on a box (we are packing to move) and fell and landed on the busted arm 🤦‍♂️🙄

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Flanman said:

Dressing off. More ugly than normal. Don’t forget to have a skin check regularly. I do and they still find shit. 

Ahh! That's a doozy! I had one taken off my hand last year - even after years of getting it checked by a GP who said 'its fine'...went to a different specialist and they immediately got it tested...confirmed skin cancer. 

This was both hands last year. I seem to get scarred every year. Face, hands, back, leg. Etc

FM

3D6F9C4A-331F-442E-9055-14BCF3F11148.jpeg

8367C0C7-445A-4285-8625-E07D5BB00AC3.jpeg

I find people that are maintaining the same training load at a time like this just weird. How could you possibly be motivated ?! There is not any event on the calendar for at least 6 months, unless you are going to the olympics of course because Japan says business as usual. 

16 minutes ago, Blacky said:

I find people that are maintaining the same training load at a time like this just weird. How could you possibly be motivated ?! There is not any event on the calendar for at least 6 months, unless you are going to the olympics of course because Japan says business as usual. 

Yeh burnout seems inevitable. Still train, but not 18 hours a week. Unless you hate your wife.

• Haha 1