Sign in to follow this  
MattS

Cape to Cape MTB

So I've entered Cape to Cape 2020. Has anyone done it? Any advice for an ex-triathlete with average MTB skills?  I'm not really worried about the fitness part, more so the technical parts of the course. Is there much to worry about? 

Cheers!

Did it 2 years ago, It did nothing but rain for the 4 days pulled the pin after 2

day one has 2 hills that you pretty much have to walk, heart break and Sally’s hill

day 2 is a long day with good fire trails and plenty of single track, highway to hell is crap and hard to ride the sand trails are deep

day 3 the pines are awesome and Jedi is fun

day 4 in outer earth is very long and technical

we went down last may amd rode some

of the trails with out the crowds and. Role my arm

Did the first couple and not sure if they changed the course much, but day 1 had a long beach section which at high tide was hikeabike.

Day 2, Margs was epic so the surfboard won out that day (yeah, I have never been overly committed to the MTB)

Day 3 Yep agree with Chris, the Pines is brilliant flow riding

Day 4 had the Rock Gardens which was super technical, fell three time got the shits and did the walk of shame back to the trail proper

Thanks for the info. The super technical bits don't sound fun. Do you use clip in pedals or flats? I started MTBing with clip ins but find I can't get my foot out quick enough in technical bits so started using flats which i do prefer, but not sure how they'll be for long/steep climbs. 

I’ve just changed pedals to clip in on one side and platform on the other.  I’ll usually ride clipped in on steeper climbs and use the platforms on downhill/technical stuff.

• Like 1