Sign in to follow this  
Reds man

Mooloolaba Taper

Afternoon all, 

I haven't posted here for a very long time (and I wasn't exactly what you would call prolific then either!) but after coming back to Tri from a hiatus while the kids grew up I have bookended my year the last couple of years with Mooloolaba and Noosa Tri's.. when racing before I was almost exclusively long course with the shorter races only ever in my program to spice up the training a bit. 

Given this I have struggled to adapt my taper to hit the start line fresh, but not underdone, over the last couple of races and wondered if there was a broad consensus on what my next week could/should look like..? 

I've been roughly doing 3 rides per week (for about 150km), 4-5 runs (40 -50km) and 2-3 swims and am probably in the 2:20 to 2:30 race time range now. 

Taper can be very specific to the individual. Some like to be very fresh, others prefer to stand on the start line with a touch of fatigue.

I usually train every morning. If I feel like I need more sleep, I'll cut out one or two of the morning sessions for a sleep in during my taper week.

In the week before an 'A' race I will always have a massage (usually Wed). So I will rework sessions around this. I don't want to be too stiff going into the massage and also want to allow recovery after. Usually takes a day or two before I can run after a massage (joys of old age).

My body has the hardest time recoverying from running. So that is what I cut back the most during taper. 

Swimming is what I lose form in the quickest, so I maintain or even increase the number of swims in taper. Although I won't do any long swims and often reduce the duration of most sessions that week.

Even though I might have the whole week planned out, during taper week I make up my mind based on how I feel when I wake up in the morning. Every session is regarded as optional and/or changeable. Very different to the 2 to 3 months before taper.

To try and be specific to the question. Assuming you would normally do a long ride on Saturday, this will now either be a short ride or skipped. Of the other 2 rides, I would make one optional. I would cut down the runs to 2 sessions (race will make 3). I would aim to maintain the 3 swims (ideally one in open water with a wetsuit).  And I would make all sessions shorter than normal. During taper I like to end every session feeling like I finished a bit too early.

2 hours ago, Reds man said:

Afternoon all, 

I haven't posted here for a very long time (and I wasn't exactly what you would call prolific then either!) but after coming back to Tri from a hiatus while the kids grew up I have bookended my year the last couple of years with Mooloolaba and Noosa Tri's.. when racing before I was almost exclusively long course with the shorter races only ever in my program to spice up the training a bit. 

Given this I have struggled to adapt my taper to hit the start line fresh, but not underdone, over the last couple of races and wondered if there was a broad consensus on what my next week could/should look like..? 

I've been roughly doing 3 rides per week (for about 150km), 4-5 runs (40 -50km) and 2-3 swims and am probably in the 2:20 to 2:30 race time range now. 

If you've done the training, doing too little in taper week isn't going mean you're underdone for the race. Your race result was determined 2 - 3 weeks out from the race. Doing too much, however, can definitely affect your race. Not sure on specifics, but a reduction in volume and intensity. 

6 hours ago, zed said:

If you've done the training, doing too little in taper week isn't going mean you're underdone for the race. Your race result was determined 2 - 3 weeks out from the race. Doing too much, however, can definitely affect your race. Not sure on specifics, but a reduction in volume and intensity. 

keep intensity

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lzbones said:

keep intensity

Yeah I only said that as I pinged my calf taper week just before a 70.3. 

I think intensity during Taper is something you need to judge by feel.

If your muscles feel tight and stiff, avoid the intensity.  Train just hard enough to get the blood flowing through the muscles to try and loosen things up.  Light training is usually better than rest for recovery.

Whereas if you feel great, a bit of intensity is fine.  I usually don't go above race pace during Taper week, but I am old and fragile

Cheers all for the considered responses. I brought it to this esteemed group as I felt like i got it right before Moo last March and had a great race and then particularly poor before Noosa where I really suffered - there were a number of factors in that though. 

I agree with the comments re fitness 2-3 weeks out being what is important, just more that I tend to feel if I don't do enough in this last week I'll tend to feel really flat in the days before the race - it is a balance against being fatigued from too much.

I did my last hardish hit out on the bike yesterday and will probably swim Mon - Wed - Fri, run Tues and Thurs and bike Wed and Fri - all shortened with some lighter intensity...

Saturday i'll be at the beach with the family and do maybe 10mins of open water

40 minutes ago, Reds man said:

just more that I tend to feel if I don't do enough in this last week I'll tend to feel really flat in the days before the race - it is a balance against being fatigued from too much.

Someone could do a solid 4 month Ironman program and then freak out taper week when they "only" do 8 hours! An odd, but common phenomenon. I hate taper week!

Good luck in your race.