Ironnerd

Running - Falling/tripping

I have always been a little clumsy. Most years I will fall/trip while running. It seems to be getting worse, I have fallen 4 times in the last 9 months. A fall 6 weeks ago resulted in a broken finger (in the middle of nowhere in India). I run both off road and footpath. I wear a combination Hoka's and New Balance. Most of my trips are when my back foot is coming forward, clips something, so I fall forward. I think that perhaps my back foot is too close to the ground and it needs to be higher to avoid rough surfaces.

Any suggestions on some drills or exercises that could help me?

6 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

I have always been a little clumsy. Most years I will fall/trip while running. It seems to be getting worse, I have fallen 4 times in the last 9 months. A fall 6 weeks ago resulted in a broken finger (in the middle of nowhere in India). I run both off road and footpath. I wear a combination Hoka's and New Balance. Most of my trips are when my back foot is coming forward, clips something, so I fall forward. I think that perhaps my back foot is too close to the ground and it needs to be higher to avoid rough surfaces.

Any suggestions on some drills or exercises that could help me?

Look up gait guys and the penguin walk

Edited by Fitness Buddy

17 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Look up gait guys and the penguin walk

Thanks FB. They have a ton of gait stuff. I will practice the penguin walk. I have subscribed to their podcast to see what it is like.

• Like 1

I can’t help you, I tripped last year and dislocated my shoulder when I hit the deck.

I've seen a few trippers over the years. Generally they are the people with a very low leg lift but conversely they are also the people who seem to be the most efficient (when they are not falling over).  Try a little higher knee lift, - not AFL umpire lift but a little higher than what you are currently used to. :)

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately trend is to trip more as you get older :)

I've tripped 3 major times, roughly once a decade, two on trail runs. But I have tripped less seriously a couple of times the last few years, once I though how the heck did I do that - was a tiny bump of 2-3cm and the reflex attempted save made it worse, as tried to protect phone in hand, ironically one of the few times I'd ever taken it.

I just try and lift my legs a little more. Not too worried about balance declining overall, as my track stands have improved dramatically. Somewhere in there I think is some kind of running efficiency aspect. Most oldies gravitate (sic) to a more shuffle like gait.