Peter

When did you last do an Ironman or Iron Distance Tri?

When did you last do an Ironman or Iron Distance Tri?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. When did you last do an Ironman or Iron Distance Tri?

• I've never done an Ironman or Iron Distance triathlon
    • I last did one in 2019
    • I last did one in 2018
    • I last did one in 2017
    • I last did one in 2016
    • I last did one in 2015
    • It's been over 5 years since I last did an Ironman or Iron Distance triathlon

During lunch with someone else from here, I said I don't think even 50% of this site has done an Ironman in the past 5 years.

So to the polls we go.

I've done 3 70.3 distances (2 Sunshine Coast and 1 Tweed Coast Enduro), but never the full 140.6 distance. 

It is on the cards and I will do it, but I haven't ticked that box yet. In saying that, I've only been doing triathlon for 2.5 years.

Never have, never will. Trained for Forster ‘86, then it was cancelled. Seen it take over too many lives since

last was 2018 Port, next is Taupo in 5 days (all going well)

17 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Only done 1 (or none depending on who you ask!), 2013 Melbourne

It counts.  The time doesn't but you started and finished the race you entered.

2015 for me. I did have plans for Port this year but didn't work out. I have entered the half though and if all goes well will plan IM for 2021.

• Like 2

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. You're not ironmen, you're just naughty boys!

Repent and find the way back to Ironman...

Step 1) An Examination of Conscience

Step 2) Show Remorse For Your Actions, and Look at Removing the Cause of Your Sin

Step 3) Attending Confession

Step 4) Confessing Your Sin

Step 5) Making an Act of Contrition

Step 6) Performing Your Penance

I'll be praying for you.... 

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. You're not ironmen, you're just naughty boys!

Repent and find the way back to Ironman...

Step 1) An Examination of Conscience

Step 2) Show Remorse For Your Actions, and Look at Removing the Cause of Your Sin

Step 3) Attending Confession

Step 4) Confessing Your Sin

Step 5) Making an Act of Contrition

Step 6) Performing Your Penance

I'll be praying for you.... 

corona virus permitting I'm off on a pilgrimage to Santiago De Compostella in a few weeks.  I will pray for forgiveness if/when I get there....😎anyone prepared to slip me a few dollars I'll pray for you as well.

Edited by Cat Lady
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

corona virus permitting I'm off on a pilgrimage to Santiago De Compostella in a few weeks.  I will pray for forgiveness if/when I get there....😎anyone prepared to slip me a few dollars I'll pray for you as well.

Just don't kiss/lick the shrine when you get there.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200302-pilgrims-in-irans-holy-cities-lick-shrines-to-defeat-coronavirus/

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

Last year and the year before. Will this year as well. And probably next year. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Katz said:

Last year and the year before. Will this year as well. And probably next year. 

I was expecting a different response.

Nevermind....... :lol:

Edited by Katz

2016. Starting to get the itch again. But will stick to the enticers for a while. Probably. 

7 hours ago, Peter said:

During lunch with someone else from here, I said I don't think even 50% of this site has done an Ironman in the past 5 years.

So to the polls we go.

Well, currently 51% have.

Or maybe that's skewed by those who have, feeling the need to tell everyone about it. :yawn:

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2007 was my last (2008 for last half IM), sitting on 9 for IM Oz. Getting closer to heading back for No 10, particularly now that I swim/ride/run sections of the course every day.

• Like 2

2005 - the last Forster. I do not have the focus or feeling to do one. The half however, feels a good stretch for me. I just ticked over #15 long course/half IMs and a few coming up this year. 60:64 AG is getting bigger and faster. 

FM

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter said:

So to the polls we go.

sitting at 54% currently

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Forgive me, Father. It's been 302 days since my last Ironman. 🙏

But back for port Mac?  

luis was hoping you wouldn’t. He wants to take the title. 

Six years ago. Done a 70.3 distance race each year since the last ironman, except for last year. Probably won't do another full ironman. 9 is enough for me. 

11 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Well, currently 51% have.

Or maybe that's skewed by those who have, feeling the need to tell everyone about it. :yawn:

Isn't that why we do it? 😀

Two years ago – the last full at Wanaka, in 2018. Went to Almere for the full last September, but got the flu on race day. Started anyway and didn't get very far.

2005....the last true Australian IM in its spiritual home 😁😂😎

• Like 2

Didn't want it enough (had kids) from 2014... 

Knees are now heading for replacement in medium term so not sure I see another one in my future..

Cairns 2018. I am trying to get Ironman Frankston for 2020 off the Ground. week long event Pros on March 15th, AG race on 22nd.....😂😂

• Haha 1

I've now done two branded 70.3s, a 70.3 distance (Ultimate) and an Emo long course (2/80/20). Training for the my first IM this year. I'm probably going to say it's my only. I'm liking the 70.3 distance training load a bit better. 

• Like 1

Does IMNZ 2012 Count?

If so, 8 years I guess 😦

Sold my TT Rig on the weekend so not sure another one will come along. But N=1 kicks in so looking at gravel bikes hahahaha

17 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Does IMNZ 2012 Count?

If so, 8 years I guess 😦

Sold my TT Rig on the weekend so not sure another one will come along. But N=1 kicks in so looking at gravel bikes hahahaha

Apparently IM recognize this for the Legacy Program, so yes it does

• Haha 1

One and only Ironman in 2012.  Was considering doing Busso this year or NZ next year, but have since shelved that idea.

Have done around 15 Half Ironmans, but they are starting to loose their appeal (knocked back Worlds slot for Taupo). Might focus on Short Course for the next season or two, find I enjoy those races more.

I did 4 between 2013 and 2015, enjoyed each one less than the previous one, didn't get any faster - and have no inclination to do another one!!! 

That and having a kid since then pretty much puts a spanner in the works of another Ironman 🙂

• Like 1

Johnny come lately to the sport.

Did all four 3/4 Ironman Melbournes. First was a 50th birthday present - to spend the time, not so much the money.

Not so interested now, and the riding got more dangerous by the year with distracted drivers, so cut back on road riding through the week. Now back to mostly just a base of running, ~50km a week, with a little bit of commuting cycling, and some gravel/backroads endurance rides, and mountains if I get up to Bright over summer, with hopes of some multi-day touring adventures.

IM @ 70 is what I'm hoping, with a bit/lots of luck. If the sport is still going, and drafting sorted.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2020 at 1:20 PM, Toolish said:

Only done 1 (or none depending on who you ask!), 2013 Melbourne

Ha! That was my last IM too - how cool was that swim?!! :)

21 hours ago, Bored@work said:

How do you know you didn't get exactly the response you were expecting?

21 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Just now, Stikman said:

How do you know you didn't get exactly the response you were expecting?

LOL 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ha! That was my last IM too - how cool was that swim?!! :)

I had never done an ocean swim before...quite the introduction

I'm glad someone has a video of it. Was quite something to be swimming head on in to swimmers coming the other way, especially when couldnt see them until a wave trough.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, longshot said:

I'm glad someone has a video of it. Was quite something to be swimming head on in to swimmers coming the other way, especially when couldnt see them until a wave trough.

Yes, that's something the video doesn't convey - from the height of that camera you can make out what is happening, but from the athlete's perspective, with those waves you couldn't see sh1t..  My normal IM swim strategy is get to the back and stay out wide and clear of the broo-har-har.  Unfortunately I picked the wrong side this time (as I didn't understand the course changes) and I ended right smack bang in the middle of it it was just a f*&&^ing nightmare!

No wonder I haven't done an IM since!! :)

22 hours ago, Peter said:

But back for port Mac?  

luis was hoping you wouldn’t. He wants to take the title. 

I haven't entered or booked flights yet.

It hasn't been a good year for training. The shoulder injury which kept me out of the water for 6 weeks before last years race, continued pretty much throughout 2019. I haven't cycled since Port last year. Running has been sporadic with only low mileages. It will be a slow and ugly if I get there.

I was disappointed to hear Dave Ross has dropped back to the 70.3. When one of the 20+ Legends drops out, it not usually because they no longer wish to be there, but rather because their body is calling time. No one looks forward to that.

• Like 1

2 Ironmans last year and my two worst. 

Lining up for Port no 22. In May and 29th overall.

IMOZ May 2017.

Wont rule out another, but for now I am content with short course and half iron distance.

• Like 1