BNothling

Tweed Coast Enduro 2020

Race Week! 

Early forecast is for a top of 30 with a potential of 3-15mm of rain.

I am doing the bike leg in a mixed relay team for the first time so I'm pretty keen to get out there and go for broke without any regard for my running legs.

Anyone else racing?

Ben

I'm a starter. There'll be a few other Cycos racing also.

First race on my new Argon18 E119. My race plan is to stay upright, unlike last year, when I had my worst ever race day crash; The pothole patch on top of pothole patch, on top of pot hole patched road surface brought me down about 8km into the bike course.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, iFoz said:

I'm a starter. There'll be a few other Cycos racing also.

First race on my new Argon18 E119. My race plan is to stay upright, unlike last year, when I had my worst ever race day crash; The pothole patch on top of pothole patch, on top of pot hole patched road surface brought me down about 8km into the bike course.

I think I actually know the patch you're talking about. The rain last year didn't make it super easy to spot things as well.

Hopefully everything goes well for you and you can run down that illustrious green astroturf and straight into a bucket of beers.

• Like 1

I'm in, for my 5th year in a row! Judging from today's email communication, I'm assuming the swim is to go ahead? 

47 minutes ago, k3vski said:

I'm in, for my 5th year in a row! Judging from today's email communication, I'm assuming the swim is to go ahead? 

What was the issue?

Also how many do this?  500?

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

What was the issue?

approximate:

acquabike - 65

first timers - 45

enduro - 500

sprint - 170

plus teams

they sold out so must be pretty happy.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

What was the issue?

Some burning, followed by flooding made some parts of the water full of debris and very murky. Organizers communicated a contingency plan last week, either a shortened swim or duathlon.

Edited by k3vski

I'm there. I'm racing aquabike as I tore my calf a few weeks back and still not cleared to run on it. Fine with swim/bike!

Looking forward to it. I love going to Pottsville. 

1 hour ago, k3vski said:

Some burning, followed by flooding made some parts of the water full of debris and very murky. Organizers communicated a contingency plan last week, either a shortened swim or duathlon.

Okay.

I am certainly keen to try a different event other than Geelong next year.  And it's a long weekend in Vic this weekend so would work well

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Okay.

I am certainly keen to try a different event other than Geelong next year.  And it's a long weekend in Vic this weekend so would work well

It's a great event. But the dates tend to change from year to year. They have had it as early as mid February to as late as end of March.

39 minutes ago, Peter said:

I've done it a few times, and its really chilled out

Road though for the bike leg is of variable quality though. Though perhaps they've fixed it since the last time I rode on it. 

5 hours ago, k3vski said:

It reads like it will be, but they're also predicting a bit of rain so that might flush a bit more stuff into the creek?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

It's really relaxed, and the fact that race day is Saturday means that you can still have a bit of weekend afterwards and get some recovery in before heading home and back to normal life. 

Swim is mega, bike is on questionable surface, and the run isn't too bad. The only downside is that they schedule the race start depending on the tide, meaning that sometimes you don't start running until after 11-12 depending on when your wave was and how fast you are on the bike.

I think there is something like 30 of us from Newcastle Tri Club this year. Looking forward to race number 3 for me. 

NSF

• Like 1

Latest update has swim still on but electrical storms may now be an issue. I feel for the organisers. Putting an event on is hard enough in perfect conditions, but having the full gambit of conditions ( drought, flood, storms, high humidity and now also the Coronavirus 😳) would be very challenging. Let’s hope it all goes well. The updates have been great. 

cheers

NSF

1 hour ago, Notsofast said:

Latest update has swim still on but electrical storms may now be an issue. I feel for the organisers. Putting an event on is hard enough in perfect conditions, but having the full gambit of conditions ( drought, flood, storms, high humidity and now also the Coronavirus 😳) would be very challenging. Let’s hope it all goes well. The updates have been great. 

cheers

NSF

Hope they have catered for sufficient toilet paper 

https://pin.it/367LywI

1 hour ago, Notsofast said:

I really feel for the event organisers as well. This event is pretty much completely for the community with all profits being put back in. I can only imagine the number of refund requests that they're going to get hit with if for whatever reason, the full race distance can't go ahead as planned.

Hopefully any storms that come through the area happen late afternoon Friday/Saturday and nothing is too dramatically affected. The BOM forecast does have storms predicted for between 11am-8pm which is certainly less than ideal. If it storms and the event is shut down, so be it. Hopefully racers hang around and support some of the local businesses and stay for as long as they would otherwise.

I'm definitely staying the weekend regardless! Need to get out of Brisbane for some R&R. I'm only doing the aquabike so I hope to be all done by the time the storms roll in. 

1 minute ago, dazmuzza said:

I'm definitely staying the weekend regardless! Need to get out of Brisbane for some R&R. I'm only doing the aquabike so I hope to be all done by the time the storms roll in. 

I'm just cycling for a relay team. I should be OK, but with the storms being predicted and the heat and humidity being what it's supposed to, I feel sorry for the guy doing the run leg.

Unfortunately I have to bail out and get home for the family, but I'll be doing what I can in the local community to support.

Pottsville isn't in Queensland 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Perfect conditions - for the sprint at any rate.  Fast tide, bit of a breeze to make the return to transition nice and relaxing, cool temperature for the run.  All done by 8:30am.  Taking the rest of the day off.😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pieman said:

PJs back baby...

Did he win ironman New Zealand today? 

#wind

I wish they would just fix that road already. It's getting dangerous to race there now with people having to swerve to avoid all of the holes and ejected debris. 

Fairly happy with my bike leg. Ended up claiming P2 in the mixed teams. Pretty stoked with that. I'll post something longer a bit later. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BNothling said:

#wind

I wish they would just fix that road already. It's getting dangerous to race there now with people having to swerve to avoid all of the holes and ejected debris. 

Agree!

On one lap I saw a cop dodging bikes trying to clear up the ejections.

I’ll be focusing on this in my survey response. 

You went passed me like you had a spinnaker up on the last lap. I didn’t even have chance to yell “Go Tranny”.

5 hours ago, pieman said:

PJs back baby...

52 minutes ago, Peter said:

Didn’t the mckenzies win?

15 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Sure did. 

So how’s PJ back?

Podium at a pretty low grade event is a pretty good result for him...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, iFoz said:

Agree!

On one lap I saw a cop dodging bikes trying to clear up the ejections.

I’ll be focusing on this in my survey response. 

You went passed me like you had a spinnaker up on the last lap. I didn’t even have chance to yell “Go Tranny”.

I did as well. I know that it's a bit out of their control, but that road is now too dangerous to hold a race on.

I was going toe to toe with another relay team racer who sat on my wheel for the 3rd lap - at both legal and illegal distance at times - and I managed to gap him on the first half of the 4th lap. I made a conscious decision to put the foot down from the corner and put some time into him. 

Being the size that I am, I was getting great results in the tailwind and I made the most of it. It was 45kmh for most of the way back.

On another note, I will learn what you look like and return the encouragement one day. 

I tried to find the results but my search turned up only last year. Anyone have a link ? Ta

FM

On 07/03/2020 at 4:21 PM, BNothling said:

Fairly happy with my bike leg. Ended up claiming P2 in the mixed teams. Pretty stoked with that. I'll post something longer a bit later. 

Yeah 100%. I saw an entire rear dual bottle holder lying abandoned on part of the road. 

My race was fairly pedestrian by my standards. Calf tear hasn't helped training over the last month. All I had to do was to finish to get a place on the podium for the aquabike.

That headwind though heading out of Pottsville was nuts. I seem to remember this happening every time I've raced here. 

Tough conditions with winds picking up very quickly in the later stages of the bike. I pity the older age groups that start in the later waves. Surprisingly I biked faster than I did last year but I paid for it in the run. Just didn't have the leg turnover to ran the time as I did last year. It wasn't overly hot with plenty of cloud cover but it did feel warm. Still, I clocked a similar finish time overall (a tiny course PB by 20+ seconds) and 5th in M35-39, given the conditions - pretty happy with the outcome.

• Like 3

Add - re the potholes. I don't know if I'm imagining things or maybe after 5 years of doing this race, I felt that the roads were a bit better and somewhat been fixed in some sections. Yes, there were a few bumpy sections to look out for and I can foresee some swerving at the last minute to avoid the holes, can be a risk to others. 

On 09/03/2020 at 10:35 AM, k3vski said:

Add - re the potholes. I don't know if I'm imagining things or maybe after 5 years of doing this race, I felt that the roads were a bit better and somewhat been fixed in some sections. Yes, there were a few bumpy sections to look out for and I can foresee some swerving at the last minute to avoid the holes, can be a risk to others. 

The roads were fine. Much better than I remember last year and probably on par with Port Mac roads.

We need to be careful what we complain about. Soon there will be no races around at all!

• Like 2

Remember the amount of rain we've had in SEQ/Northern Rivers in the past months. Enough to cause potholes in any road. Right up until days before the race.

15 minutes ago, 2bruisedplums said:

The roads were fine.

Mostly.

But that one 100m? section at Mango Hill is so bad it's down right dangerous... It caused my worst ever race crash last year, in the rain. 

The equipment and bidons ejected from bikes compounds the dangerous road surface and endangers the Police who were trying to clear it away. As is usually the case,  it's the minority that ruins it for the majority.

MangoHillCrashSite.JPG.da26fc3f3425f14298c0f3f18ec22b96.JPG

17 hours ago, iFoz said:

But that one 100m? section at Mango Hill is so bad it's down right dangerous... 

MangoHillCrashSite.JPG.da26fc3f3425f14298c0f3f18ec22b96.JPG

I'll agree with you on that one. That little section past the fruit shop in both directions was single file and a case of having to really pick your line. After the first lap, I would actually stand up on the pedals because it was too uncomfortable to be on the saddle.

The rest of the roads weren't too bad, but that smooth section near the 90 degree bend made me wish that the rest of the road was like that. It was smooth, quiet and fast for no extra effort. 

3 hours ago, BNothling said:

I'll agree with you on that one. That little section past the fruit shop in both directions was single file and a case of having to really pick your line. After the first lap, I would actually stand up on the pedals because it was too uncomfortable to be on the saddle.

The rest of the roads weren't too bad, but that smooth section near the 90 degree bend made me wish that the rest of the road was like that. It was smooth, quiet and fast for no extra effort. 

Yeah that bit of smooth road is such a relief from the rest of it.