SomeTri

Somewhere to store my food

I've left this to the last minute as the problem didn't really occur to me until recently...  When I ride, I ride in cycling kit so have pockets at the back of my shirt.  My tri kit doesn't have any pockets.  I'm about to do a HIM this weekend and have realised I have nowhere to put the cliff bars that I want to consume on the bike.  There is no room on my top tube to tape anything (I have a small bag there with the spare tyre, and I can't really tape a cliff bar there anyway), I have a double bottle holder off the back of my saddle that will be full, and a bottle between the tribars on the front.

Any suggestions how I can carry these cliff bars so that they are accessible when I need them?

Just now, Katz said:

How many? How big are they? In your bra? 

About a c cup

Yes they are

:lol: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, roxii said:

About a c cup

Yes they are

:lol: 

Ha!  Nowhere near a C...

Wanted 2 cliff bars and a banana.  No where in my "bra" to carry anything.  I do have a Naked running belt that I was planning to use on the run (to carry potatoes, a gel and electrolytes), but it wouldn't sit in the right place for riding.  And it would mean a lot of fiddling around in transition - My T2 is already shocking...

Edited by SomeTri

I was hoping to add some value but I’ve got nothing now running belt ruled out. It was your dilemma that lead me to all liquid in the end. 

1 cliff bar up each leg of the tri suit. Done that before. 

As for the banana, I got nuthin' unless I go all Benny Hill.  :lol: 

• Haha 1

Follow the Patrick Lange example from Kona two years ago - if it's good enough for the world champ...

giphy.gif

Edited by toolex

32 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Borrow a second running belt

hmmm  The running belt I have would not work on the bike (sits tight on the hips), but maybe a spi belt would work ??? Will look into it..
Edit to add - it won't exactly be easy to extract the food from it when riding though...

Edited by SomeTri

1 hour ago, SomeTri said:

I've left this to the last minute as the problem didn't really occur to me until recently...  When I ride, I ride in cycling kit so have pockets at the back of my shirt.  My tri kit doesn't have any pockets.  I'm about to do a HIM this weekend and have realised I have nowhere to put the cliff bars that I want to consume on the bike.  There is no room on my top tube to tape anything (I have a small bag there with the spare tyre, and I can't really tape a cliff bar there anyway), I have a double bottle holder off the back of my saddle that will be full, and a bottle between the tribars on the front.

Any suggestions how I can carry these cliff bars so that they are accessible when I need them?

You're carrying 3 bottles plus a spares bag?! Does your down tube not have room for a cage? I would either just go gels and mix them all into your bottles, or just go one bottle of fluids and use the aid stations. I'd only carry 1 bottle for 70.3 or IM. Or Get a spares bottles and stick your tubes in that and bars in that too, or tape them to the top bar if spares are at the rear. 

Sounds like u are a bit overloaded!

• Like 3

Only problem with going liquid which I can see is that it falls into the category of nothing new on race day 🤷‍♀️ What about a pouch around neck stuffed down front of tri suit.  Unzip a bit grab a bit of cliff bar, then rezip 

Edited by Cat Lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, zed said:

You're carrying 3 bottles plus a spares bag?! Does your down tube not have room for a cage? I would either just go gels and mix them all into your bottles, or just go one bottle of fluids and use the aid stations. I'd only carry 1 bottle for 70.3 or IM. Or Get a spares bottles and stick your tubes in that and bars in that too, or tape them to the top bar if spares are at the rear. 

Sounds like u are a bit overloaded!

Yep, 3 bottles as I want to control what I drink for the whole race - I have my own salty hydration mix and don't intend to use the aid stations.  I don't do gels as they tend to upset my stomach after 2 and they are vile - pure carbohydrate just won't fuel me appropriately.  If I stick bars in to a spares bottle, I then have to stop to access them - trying to avoid that.  Can't tape anything to my top bar - no room (bike is tiny and I can only just stand over it).  And I have no bottle cage on the down tube - it would ruin the whole aero-ness of the bike...  At least THAT part is aero! 🤣

• Like 1

image.png.7596ed2902b873c84d757561a47b04f8.png

Bento boxes come in all sizes. The pic above shows one that will hold 8 bar halves, plus electrolyte caps and maybe even an extra gel or two. There are bigger and smaller ones. You can tape your spare tube under your seat. Or use a down or seat tube bottle cage or, better, heed what zed said and downsize your cargo.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Oooh!  Didn't think about taping the spare under my seat. I could probably fit *some* food into my  top tube bag - issue there is that there isn't much room there at all.  My bike is tiny and I can barely stand over it.  There is about 5 inches of space at the front to play with....

I've got a tiny bag on my top bar. Fits a couple of bits and pieces in it, undone and mostly sticking out. Like you, small bike, not much space. There are also bags that go under the top bar I think. 

• Like 1

Up the legs of your tri suit, and down the front. 

Just for the  in a right? Not like they're going to jiggle down. 

I do it sometimes. 

Very easy and quick to get out, and stuff back half eaten. 

• Like 2

This was my setup back in the day when I could do long course.

One drink bottle on the frame, one behind the seat, and a cut-down drink bottle behind the seat to hold a spare tubular tyre, CO2 cannister, small hand pump as a backup, valve core removal tool just in case!

All food (gels & one Powerbar) in the Bento Box on the cross-bar.

Now I can only do sprints, all this faffing about is a moot point....and I get more time for fishing & model building 😁 

Bike_Close.thumb.jpg.8c396882d069e9a8ae6e5c36847300ee.jpg

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1

Solution found.  I will use my tiny bento box/top tube bag that I normally use for the spare to store broken bits of cliff bar & an emergency gel, I’ll borrow a spi belt to hold my spare and tools and will stuff the banana down my front (it’ll likely fall out though – no cleavage to hold it there) or just leave it in transition (2 cliff bars should be enough for 90km). 

Thanks all!

• Like 2

Had a guy in our Masters Swimming squad that would offer bite sized mars bars when we were out doing long open water swims. He was only wearing his budgies, so we all declined. 😲🤣

gw

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, gregorywannabe said:

Had a guy in our Masters Swimming squad that would offer bite sized mars bars when we were out doing long open water swims. He was only wearing his budgies, so we all declined. 😲🤣

gw

Always have gels in the togs for long swims.

A lady (passing me) was once so kind as to offer me a chocolate-flavored gel at about the 6hr mark, she said I probably did not want to know where it had been carried, I gulped down the warm liquid and replied "thank you - (I don't care)".

On 26/02/2020 at 3:01 PM, SomeTri said:

Revisiting this as a late comer.

I think you need to experiment more with what you consume and how you carry stuff.

For me.... I carry 1 water bottle, 1 half bottle for spares etc, and cradle/bento box on top tube for gels.

note: no way could I consume a cliff bar or anything during a race...maybe a bite for different texture but not much else. Also you do know they have aid stations and you can swap bottles.

I did Husky Ultimate last weekend. I had 2 gels on the bike and consumed 3/4 of a bottle. Only reason I swapped bottles on last lap was to throw away my old one.

For me.... I went into the race fully hydrated..... and it wasn’t a hot day until the run. ‘Twas good enough for the win on the day :)

For Ironman. 

I generally consume 1 gel every 20km and drink in between. Would replace a bottle every 60km. 1 bite of a cookie for a taste change at about the 120 km mark.

Also last year I only took 1 get on my own which I had at T1. Used race nutrition for the rest of the day.

Test what they will provide on the day and make it work.

Cheers for the input. I did the same race as you. The clif bars normally go down well but didn't go down well on race day.  Neither did breakfast - could barely eat. I was not nervous. I did eat 2 clifs and a banana on the bike. A potato on the run. The revies made me feel even more nauseous. 

I don't do gels. They are emergency only and normally make me feel pukey. Don't want Powerade either as I have my own hydration drink. I thought 3 bottles was overkill, but I nearly finished all 3.

13 hours ago, SomeTri said:

Cheers for the input. I did the same race as you. The clif bars normally go down well but didn't go down well on race day.  Neither did breakfast - could barely eat. I was not nervous. I did eat 2 clifs and a banana on the bike. A potato on the run. The revies made me feel even more nauseous. 

I don't do gels. They are emergency only and normally make me feel pukey. Don't want Powerade either as I have my own hydration drink. I thought 3 bottles was overkill, but I nearly finished all 3.

What is your pre race dinner (night before) and pre race breakfast.

If you can't have pasta's etc stick with basic foods. For me that was a Beed burger and fries at the Husky Hotel. 

Breakfast was 2 x Up'N'Go's (Vanilla or Strawberry) about 90 and 60 minutes before race start. After that sip on your electrolyte drink and wee lots before race start.

I used staminade as my race nutrition and then what ever is on course though for a half, 1 bottle is good enough for me unless its hot. Do you use electrolytes/nutrition in every training ride. You have to get used to it before it becomes an issue on race day.

I had a curry the night before - normal food for me. Small amount of special K in the morning. I always find eating first thing hard though.  Nausea during a race is not new for me unfortunately. This is the first time during a tri though, but this is the longest tri I've done, therefore the one I've had to consume the most in

Yep, I had been eating and drinking my electrolyte drink during train for over a month before the race. No issues then.

One bottle foe the whole race must be very much on the low side for most peeps...

6 hours ago, SomeTri said:

I had a curry the night before - normal food for me. Small amount of special K in the morning. I always find eating first thing hard though.  Nausea during a race is not new for me unfortunately. This is the first time during a tri though, but this is the longest tri I've done, therefore the one I've had to consume the most in

Yep, I had been eating and drinking my electrolyte drink during train for over a month before the race. No issues then.

One bottle foe the whole race must be very much on the low side for most peeps...

Keep experimenting. It’s rare that everything goes to plan. An endless search for that perfect race.

Dream big and keep at it.

I'm coming in late too - that sounds like a lot of everything for a half. I have one bidon of Gatorade (on the downtube), one of water (between the bars) and 1 or 2 caffeine gels (on the top tube).  Spare taped under the seat. Flat coke on the run (supplied by the race).

There's no way I could eat a cliff bar or a potato.  

If you can't do gels, what about those caffeinated jubes?  Gu make some, not sure about others. 

• Like 2

Issue with caffeine is once you start with it, you have to continue and it doesn't exactly give you energy, but robs from your future energy...

I also try to to keep hydration and nutrition separate...  yes I know, I'm fussy...

I'll continue with the potato, but the clif bar has to go. Maybe 2 of them was just too much, or juat too complex a food at that intensity. Just trying to stick to real food...

So with all the offered solutions, how did you go in the race? Pretty sure I know the answer, but just in case I have my peeps confused.....

3 hours ago, Turts said:

So with all the offered solutions, how did you go in the race? Pretty sure I know the answer, but just in case I have my peeps confused.....

Chicken dinner 👏

Yep, thanks. This was to be the one and only but have unfinished business now. Still room for improvement and nutrition is one of the main issues.  Thankfully copped on to the solution to how to carry stuff thanks to all the suggestions here.  Looks like I derailed my own thread from how to carry it to what "it" should actually be! 🤣

• Like 3