SomeTri

Mooloolaba Rolling Start

I don’t understand how this makes a real difference. Slower swimmers, if they were smart, started at the back of a wave anyway. Faster guys are going to start at front. What’s the point?

Edit to add: Actually, yeh that’s messed up if it’s rolling start like IM. I read it as starting in smaller waves grouped by pace

Edited by Kenneth

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So it's no longer treated as an actual race?

No taupo spots either. Sorry was talking about the 70.3

Edited by Peter

11 hours ago, Peter said:

No taupo spots either. Sorry was talking about the 70.3

They were last year for Taupo 

15 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Is this a gathering of over 500?

Doesn't matter till Monday apparently.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Ironman getting a hard time so only fair. People are running park runs guess they don't give a crap if thye get sick or spread the disease

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Guess the virus didn't work overtime. Just monday to Friday, 9 to 5 

The plan for tomorrow is still for half-distance swims (750m Oly, 375m sprint) at the sheltered end of the bay, followed by a 1.5km beach run to the transition area, no shoes allowed. Preliminary reading is no wetsuits either. Weather forecast for tomorrow is a gale warning at 35-45 km sustained winds.

Can anyone explain why sprint distance can't still do a 750m swim?

24 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Can anyone explain why sprint distance can't still do a 750m swim?

Catering for the lowest denominator. These are the people that can only just swim 750m in good conditions.

41 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Catering for the lowest denominator. These are the people that can only just swim 750m in good conditions.

It seriously is not even bad.

The sport was harder back in the old days.  #hadtosayit 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, AA7 said:

It seriously is not even bad.

I have been thinking this myself.  Was out pushing my 5 year old on her boogie board and she was loving it... I think it was worse here last time they had the 3km run to transition.. 

Can anyone explain why it even went ahead AFTER the ITU said an immediate shutdown of all ITU events?

ITU announcement

Edited by trifun

6 hours ago, trifun said:

Can anyone explain why it even went ahead AFTER the ITU said an immediate shutdown of all ITU events?

ITU announcement

Same deal as the Government announcement. Immediate shutdown, after this weekend's events. 

Ridiculous on both parts. Either it's serious or it isn't? All studies are showing the sooner you act the flatter the curve will be, yet here we have massive crowds for 3 days after being told that we have to stop gathering in crowds.

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Same deal as the Government announcement. Immediate shutdown, after this weekend's events. 

Ridiculous on both parts. Either it's serious or it isn't? All studies are showing the sooner you act the flatter the curve will be, yet here we have massive crowds for 3 days after being told that we have to stop gathering in crowds.

While the event could have cancelled, participants could have chosen the greater good over self interest.

8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

While the event could have cancelled, participants could have chosen the greater good over self interest.

Your comment rings just as true across the full range of events I was referring to Barry.

The NRL went ahead with all games this weekend. Tight crowds shoved into crammed stadiums. And then everybody heading back to their homes sometimes thousands of km away. You couldn't ask for a better means of spreading this thing.

I'm sure all the football fans practised exemplary hygiene though.

• Like 1

908 people went according to fb assume higher with hangers ons.

Before we beat on Hillsong let’s look at what we do and did.

So what did everyone actually think of the rolling start? I ‘raced’ mates wave, paid extra to not even start at the same time...were 5 seconds apart or whatever it was. Got beaten by a lot more than that...

There weren’t many packs that I saw on the bike course. Definitely less than in years gone by. But that may have been the wind sorting people out. 

The run back to transition sucked by was a nice swim. Conditions were much better than forecast 

I liked the rolling start because it's easy to just settle straight into your stroke without the usual hustle and bustle, but I'm not racing for a podium spot.

The north bound bike leg was super fast with the tailwind and I didn't encounter any drafting. I saw a lot of packs on the return leg into the wind though. It didn't seem to be blatant drafting so much as people trying to overtake and then realising they couldn't sustain the passing effort and getting caught halfway. Then someone would go wide of them and get caught too, etc, etc. At one point there was a peloton about 4 abreast and probably 5-6 deep. As an aside the TO saw it and pinged 2 people and everyone else got lucky.

12 hours ago, Kenneth said:

So what did everyone actually think of the rolling start? I ‘raced’ mates wave, paid extra to not even start at the same time...were 5 seconds apart or whatever it was. Got beaten by a lot more than that...

There weren’t many packs that I saw on the bike course. Definitely less than in years gone by. But that may have been the wind sorting people out. 

The run back to transition sucked by was a nice swim. Conditions were much better than forecast 

My first time doing a rolling start and I didn't like it. I like drafting off people and usually make my way through moving from group to group until I get on a group at similar pace. This time I was alone most of the way until I almost hit the shore. There seemed to be more motor bikes (or they were doing more runs past but I seemed to see one every few minutes) but there was some blatant drafting on the way back most notably a few ladies wheel sucking stronger riders or groups of riders. 

The rolling start didn't affect me one way or the other -- back of the pack is back of the pack, no matter how you start. The swim was as good as it gets - warm water, no wetsuit, sheltered going out, good, easy surf for swimming, even a little body surfing, coming in. Saw some bunches coming back on the bike course, but not as many as I would have expected if it was a mass start. Refs were present, but could have been more aggressive on draft busting. But I always think that😀.

It was an excellent race.

18 hours ago, Kenneth said:

I hate it. And I was annoyed that they started the waves early. My wave was listed to start at 8.28, I was at the start area, but just having a bit of a chat to someone from work, with my back to the starting pens. Looked around at approx 8.22 to see my pink caps filing into the water, some already well into the swim leg. Crap. As a FOP racer, I like to start near the front to know where I am in the field. But ended up being right towards the back. I knew who my main competition was, so I had no idea when she started. Ended up 2nd by 45sec. She was faster in the long beach run to T1 by about 45sec. Not saying the result would've been different, but I did find it hard to know what pace to run that at. But anyway, I'm still happy. I've been feeling really flat for about a month or so and was surprised that I felt pretty good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AA7 said:

I hate it. And I was annoyed that they started the waves early. My wave was listed to start at 8.28, I was at the start area, but just having a bit of a chat to someone from work, with my back to the starting pens. Looked around at approx 8.22 to see my pink caps filing into the water, some already well into the swim leg. Crap. As a FOP racer, I like to start near the front to know where I am in the field. But ended up being right towards the back. I knew who my main competition was, so I had no idea when she started. Ended up 2nd by 45sec. She was faster in the long beach run to T1 by about 45sec. Not saying the result would've been different, but I did find it hard to know what pace to run that at. But anyway, I'm still happy. I've been feeling really flat for about a month or so and was surprised that I felt pretty good.

That's strange because they started the first waves 5 mins late.. they must have made up time...?

This race might have been a key moment in triathlon history. I wore a race shirt when I flew home yesterday, and while I was waiting for my bike to appear at baggage pickup, another triathlete said "you did the last triathlon". 

• Sad 1

On 19/03/2020 at 12:53 PM, AA7 said:

Positive COVID test from an athlete

at race + 4 days with a 7 to 21 day incubation period( UQ Professor & acclaimed virologist - Dr  Ian Frazer this week), doesn't that look promising.....

52 minutes ago, trifun said:

at race + 4 days with a 7 to 21 day incubation period( UQ Professor & acclaimed virologist - Dr  Ian Frazer this week), doesn't that look promising.....

Can we isolate all competitors

1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

Can we isolate all competitors

And back-date it by a week.

Ooops.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And back-date it by a week.

Ooops.

that is 900 people who are at risk of taking something into theier network, lock them up

6 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

that is 900 people who are at risk of taking something into theier network, lock them up

This kind of thinking doesn’t help. The actual close contacts have been notified. People who were in the same suburb don’t necessarily carry any more risk than you. 

6 hours ago, Tyno said:

This kind of thinking doesn’t help. The actual close contacts have been notified. People who were in the same suburb don’t necessarily carry any more risk than you. 

We don't know who has it and who dies not, that is why the WHO, NIH and these guys https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/196234/covid19-imperial-researchers-model-likely-impact/ want us to social distance. 

The event should not have happened, the close contacts will now self isolate but with a 14 day incubation period how do we know who has it had it.

The lock up was a bit TIC, they should be locked up like the Bondi Beach goers for being there in the first place.

Australia may well ride it out with the benefit of being a long way from anywhere and an island nation.

20 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Australia may well ride it out with the benefit of being a long way from anywhere and an island nation.

Not if we keep letting cruise ships in :D

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tyno said:

How all those people disembarked & wandered freely or got on public transport is unbelievable. 

27 minutes ago, Tyno said:

15 minutes ago, Surfer said:

How all those people disembarked & wandered freely or got on public transport is unbelievable. 

I thought our government stopped the boats?

• Sad 1