PeterW

Dairy free diet?

Hey everyone. I was interested to see if anyone on the forum has actively dropped all or most Dairy products from their diet, especially if coming from a diet that contained a lot of dairy, ie a big change. If so, did you notice any change or experience anything different? Not necessarily talking lactose tolerance or a dairy allergy - just people making a diet change.

47 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hey everyone. I was interested to see if anyone on the forum has actively dropped all or most Dairy products from their diet, especially if coming from a diet that contained a lot of dairy, ie a big change. If so, did you notice any change or experience anything different? Not necessarily talking lactose tolerance or a dairy allergy - just people making a diet change.

Grab a diary (not dairy) try it for yourself.

Write down a list of KPI in relation to factors you may deem applicable

Examples 

- sleep -

-energy levels,

-digestion,

-training performance (how you feel, recovery from training as examples, can use some data but again that maybe conflicting in some areas). 

- gut experience, bloating, gas, inflammatory. 

-body composition (weight loss make occur due to reduce calories)

- if have certain pain in areas does it decrease.

Monitor over at least 4 weeks and review daily/weekly changes. 

Just remember also you are dropping calories by taking this out so be careful with training possible reduce volume a bit or replace with other energy source.  

Individual responses may differ so best to try yourself rather then try it because person A did and this happened. 

Sanders following Jan with diet is an example.  

Ive done a big 'active reduction' of meat and dairy, not eliminating both totally, but using an alternative if appropriate. i dont drink cows milk anymore, rarely have cheese for example.

I feel cleaner if that makes sense, I think the biggest thing for me is when you remove either meat or cheese for example, you fill the space with things that are better for you. For example, an easy Mexican would be beef, Mexican flavouring with cheese and sour cream. The new version you try harder due to the lack of beef - so onions, tomatoes, avocado, beans, etc to fill the space gives a better outcome.

I started it around October, and the 2 races I did after that were 2 of my best ever - it felt like I had a much bigger energy reserve, just didn't hit flat spots like I usually would. Not sure if thats training or diet related, but I didnt see any negative outcome.

I haven't had dairy for 5-7 years (don't even know at this stage), and I've become intolerant. On the few occasions I accidentally have it (barista gives me milk even if I ordered and paid for almond etc.) it literally messes me up for the whole day

Much much happier without it. I have found that I can have mature cheese without any issues, but soft cheese messes me up 

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Grab a diary (not dairy) try it for yourself.

Write down a list of KPI in relation to factors you may deem applicable

2 hours ago, The new guy said:

I started it around October, and the 2 races I did after that were 2 of my best ever - it felt like I had a much bigger energy reserve, just didn't hit flat spots like I usually would. Not sure if thats training or diet related, but I didnt see any negative outcome.

Thanks - I inadvertently started yesterday when I finally got used to black coffee and I found myself inexplicably full of energy in the afternoon, despite having an early morning run session and pretty low calorie intake (I am normally fighting off the zzzz in the afternoon).

My normal dairy intake is huge - mostly milk yogurt and cheese. In fact, I would think that I probably have never been dairy free day in my whole life other than a couple of water-only fasting days.

So I thought I would formalise the no dairy today and see what differences it would make.  Pretty easy to benchmark sports performance these days with a good history of equivalent runs and( eg park run 5k) and rides (eg strava segments)  forming trends so I will watch that too. But already feeling "up" and full of energy despite a hard bike session this morning. That on its own would be worth it if it continues!

Edited by PeterW

black coffee for the win.  I went vegan for a month to support my daughter on one of her challenges. I felt great & dropped some weight but I really missed yogurt.

I've been trying to drop dairy but finding it hard. Oatmilk is quite a nice substitute. I just love milky coffee too much!

Have been vego now about foru months and feel so much better generally and immediately dropped a heap of weight. 

Probably not overly relevant- but we don’t allow my son who is 7 to have dairy in his diet, he has allergies and eczema.  Despite the many alternatives we tried to keep his allergies and eczema at bay, nothing has come close to being as good as removing dairy from his diet.  We noticed immediate changes for the better.  

• Like 1

I've gone the other way, with trying to get my new hip prosthesis to knit as well as possible into the bone, I've been smashing the full cream milk at every opportunity. 

God it tastes good. 

On 13/02/2020 at 11:18 AM, The new guy said:

you fill the space with things that are better for you.

Yes, that's right - I replaced yogurt with an apple! (and chocolate milk with soda water)

Now well into day 3 and still feeling very energetic, despite early starts and exercise.  I am also trying to lose weight and this is progressing well - I am sure better - under the dairy free banner. 

On 13/02/2020 at 11:36 AM, Horowitz said:

I haven't had dairy for 5-7 years (don't even know at this stage), and I've become intolerant. On the few occasions I accidentally have it (barista gives me milk even if I ordered and paid for almond etc.) it literally messes me up for the whole day

Much much happier without it. I have found that I can have mature cheese without any issues, but soft cheese messes me up 

I'm the same, but was a big milk drinker before. Can tolerate cheeses and a little milk but not a lot of milk. I actually prefer SoGood milk anyway.

That said, I didn't notice much change to be honest.

I only use a splash of milk in coffee nowadays after growing up on a dairy farm and using butter like my life depends on it. 

Feel better overall. But terribly guilty about not supporting the industry. But then I realise that the government and supermarkets have ****ed it anyway... 😒

On 14/02/2020 at 2:52 PM, roxii said:

I've gone the other way, with trying to get my new hip prosthesis to knit as well as possible into the bone, I've been smashing the full cream milk at every opportunity. 

God it tastes good. 

My piccolo tastes sublime on full cream compared to soy, almond, etc

So, apart from a glass of kefir on Sunday I have been dairy free since Wednesday and the fridge is completely chockers with yoghurts and other milk products that have made me realise how much I consume.

Results? Well it hasn't done my any harm not having it, but I've found nothing concrete on the positive side.  Probably helped me losing weight (but I was losing weight anyway) and my race times were a little faster but they have been steadily on the improve since before I stopped the dairy.  The only thing is I don't seem to be as sleepy anymore - if fact I was getting a little worried at how little energy I had in the afternoons.  Since quitting the dairy this hasn't been a problem, which is either an amazingly good result or nice coincidence.

• Thanks 1

Going dairy would free up a whole shelf in my fridge.  Its not going to happen ...... mmmmmmmmmmmm custard.

Lets not talk about sugar either  😬

Edited by lawman