Sign in to follow this  
Peter

2020 Sun tour live here

45 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

How did it come across on the TV/stream?

I was watching it all unfold from the Chief Comm car (men's race).

I thought the coverage was great online. I couldn't get to a TV, but had the links Peter put up going on my laptop screen while I was working on my larger monitors. Thanks Peter.

1 hour ago, Alex Simmons said:

How did it come across on the TV/stream?

I was watching it all unfold from the Chief Comm car (men's race).

The coverage was excellent. 
better than the Geelong / Williamstown bike races a few weeks back 

Was great on the hill Anderson ST, although not as many spectators  as I thought there might be. Way better than the prologue they had a few years back along the Yarra and Southbank. And better than the criterium they used to have in Carlton. Bit sad there is no expo now, guess it just reflects  the move to online.

1 hour ago, longshot said:

Was great on the hill Anderson ST, although not as many spectators  as I thought there might be. Way better than the prologue they had a few years back along the Yarra and Southbank. And better than the criterium they used to have in Carlton. Bit sad there is no expo now, guess it just reflects  the move to online.

I agree, the change to 5 x road stages and ditching the city prologue makes for a better race IMO. I used to hold the riders on the start line for the prologue.

Coming up Anderson street wasn't quite as stressful in the car this year as last (better spectator and local traffic management I think, or fewer of them, not sure). I quite like the circuit (the 7 speed humps get a bit tedious!), although the race strategy/tactics are going to be a bit predictable, as is any circuit race on the final day of a stage race. Establish a break, allow them 30-70 seconds and keep it there (GC leader team does that tempo work to keep pace high/safe) then the teams with a sprinter seeking a stage win take over in the final laps to bring back the break.

I sorta liked the park having fewer things to clutter it up but expo was more stuff to look at I guess - I can understand the demise of such marketing efforts.

Crowd seemed pretty good, and the community ride seemed to be well supported.

The Lexus sedans we used drove and handled pretty well. Needed to use the gear change flappy paddles on that circuit to maintain pace with the riders. Good fun.