Sign in to follow this  
Tyno

Clydesdale proof wheels 2020

Im fat.
I broke my road wheel

I'm trying to find a suitably solid replacement. 
I'm having a bit of trouble doing so. 
Any suggestions for a 32 hole rim brake clincher?

Ideally a set, but at very least a rear. 
Most everything seems to be 20/24 F/R. 
It’s almost more cost efficient for me to buy an entry level CX bike as far as I can find. 

10 hours ago, Tyno said:

Im fat.
I broke my road wheel

I'm trying to find a suitably solid replacement. 
I'm having a bit of trouble doing so. 
Any suggestions for a 32 hole rim brake clincher?

Ideally a set, but at very least a rear. 
Most everything seems to be 20/24 F/R. 
It’s almost more cost efficient for me to buy an entry level CX bike as far as I can find. 

Maybe get the cx bike, while youre having fun on that youll get fit, lose weight & wont need bullet proof wheels, just something youre super happy with. Bonus is you can use the cx bike for cx & gravel stuff too. 

You know the answer is always, without fail new bike 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I was a Clyde in previous life and have had mavic Open pro 32 spoke and some handbuilt HPlus Son archetype 32 spokes which both came highly recommended. They were both better than anything Id had previously but the Mavic still had a few issues over years. I actually ended up buying some cheap fulcrum 5 when Bikebug had a special deal. I think I got the LG ones which were for fatties, they only had 20 spokes I think and never had an issue with them going out of true (just retired them as the rim track was gooooone)

What was the wheel you broke Tyno?  And how wide a tyre does the frame clearance of your roadbike allow?

Edited by Abby

I've been using Reynolds 66's on my road bike for 4 or 5 years now - for racing and training - and they've been absolutely bullet-proof and I'm not a light-weight...! They're plenty fast enough for me, and seem to have survived my ability to spot pot-holes and ride through them... In something like 25,000kms they've only needed to be trued once and have thrown one spoke...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pieman said:

I was a Clyde in previous life and have had mavic Open pro 32 spoke

I did this for my commuter when I was having issues with wheels buckling riding to and from work.  

rock solid.  About 10 years old now.  Still true as the day I got it.

I was only about 85kg but highly recommend this option.  Will only cost you about $400. Worth the cash

Craftworx wheels with higher spoke count. They'll  be fine. I'm a heavy guy and I ride these all the time and have no issue. 

Caden wheels will also be fine for racing at higher weights. Shimano wheels also have no max weight limit. 

Just the stock PA2 Giant wheel on my Propel. They have a few years on them. Not sure of max width, but probably 25mm?
I had a set of Fulcrum 5s a bike or 2 ago, with no issues, but that was also 10 - 15 kg ago too. 
Running at 113 kgs today. 

If I go a pair of custom built wheels, a cheap CX bike with 32 hole disk brake rims is about the same cost. 
Anyone wanna buy a 2017 Propel Advanced 1 frameset? :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tyno said:

If I go a pair of custom built wheels, a cheap CX bike with 32 hole disk brake rims is about the same cost. 
Anyone wanna buy a 2017 Propel Advanced 1 frameset with 1 ****ed wheel? :)

FIFY

• Haha 1

I have a few sets of American Classic wheels that I researched thoroughly to suit my bulk. Victory 30’s for my roadie and Carbon 58’s for my Tri Bike. They have a higher spoke count so can handle the higher weights.Great wheels. Worth a look.

15 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Maybe a bit of araldite and it’s good as new? :)

DD44CB6F-8C92-4322-9D7F-8ED51DBA76B4.jpeg

That's still got a couple thousand km in it. Just don't bunny hop too high when you go over the gutters.

7 hours ago, pieman said:

I was a Clyde in previous life and have had mavic Open pro 32 spoke and some handbuilt HPlus Son archetype 32 spokes which both came highly recommended. They were both better than anything Id had previously but the Mavic still had a few issues over years. I actually ended up buying some cheap fulcrum 5 when Bikebug had a special deal. I think I got the LG ones which were for fatties, they only had 20 spokes I think and never had an issue with them going out of true (just retired them as the rim track was gooooone)

I second the recommendation on Mavic open pro 32 spoke. WSTC club member who is 120 something kgs uses a set of these. 

Whilst I'm not that big, my Mavic opens are 10 years old and have been great reliable strong wheels.