Peter

Coronavirus

Covid tests and treatments are covered. In fact hospitals get lots more cash for treating covid and it’s Federal money.

4 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Covid tests and treatments are covered. In fact hospitals get lots more cash for treating covid and it’s Federal money.

What if you present to hospital thinking it might be covid, get treatment while waiting for the test result, and then it isn't? I imagine there would be significant costs to the uninsured?

8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

But does everybody know that? With a generation brought up to feel that they can't afford to go to a hospital, it could be hard to have them trust that it won't cost them anything.

eta: just my thoughts. I don't live there.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chris said:

Many health issues according to news.com

so maybe he may have just died

You are very much ready to go back to normal, aren't you Chris?

True, maybe he was destined to die now anyway.  Or, maybe covid exasperated his conditions, which may have been being managed prior, and he passed away 50 years than he may have otherwise.  My father in law has told us his neighbour that had it, and was barely hospitalised, mostly self isolated, so wasn't considered severe, is really struggling with his recovery and his healthy and physical well being is smashed.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But does everybody know that? With a generation brought up to feel that they can't afford to go to a hospital, it could be hard to have them trust that it won't cost them anything.

eta: just my thoughts. I don't live there.

Respond to both the questions no one really knows.

you have to call a hot line normal doctors don’t see you and then go through some process to get a test. Though we have a pop up test at the cvs.

if you were homeless or on margins you would have no idea.

but the test would be paid for

Chris has wanted to open the floodgates for many weeks now! But to show people can't be trusted to do the right thing without the threat of heavy fines, last weekend out at the Redwood plantation just past Warburton is just one example...

Second wave and more lock downs will be inevitable!

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

While it is factually true that most hospitals, in the US, get a larger payment for Covid treatment (due to the extra costs of treatment), there is no evidence that hospitals are rorting the system. A number of fact checking web sites have investigated this claim.

17 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

Covid-19 cases are going to happen for the next 2 years at least unless we get a vaccine. We have to learn to live with it, control outbreaks and have a good health system that has the necessary capacity. We still get Measles and other dangerous diseases but we don't close the borders every time we get a case in Sydney or Melbourne

In Australia approximately 90% of people have either had measles or been immunised against measles. In Australia much less than 1% of people have had Covid. You can not compare a Covid outbreak to a measles outbreak.

I would agree with your first two sentences. I would add that we need more testing and good contact tracing to keep it under control.

6 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

In Australia approximately 90% of people have either had measles or been immunised against measles. In Australia much less than 1% of people have had Covid. You can not compare a Covid outbreak to a measles outbreak.

I would agree with your first two sentences. I would add that we need more testing and good contact tracing to keep it under control.

Please understand that Measles was just an example. There are a lots of diseases that crop up in Australia that are deadly or very contagious, but we deal with them with our best intent. We don't normally panic and expect everyone to stop their lives. We have done an excellent job in controlling the virus and protecting our health system. Whilst closing some state borders was a good decision in late March when things looked like they may be heading the same way as other countries, that is not the situation now. To keep a state border closed because another state has (on average) under 5 cases a day that are being managed is now questionable. Even close to being unconstitutional. Though, I would hate for us to go down that road.

I agree with your point about more testing and contract tracing. I think it would be a good idea if those state Premiers who still have their borders closed, to articulate to their constituents on how they are working with other states to get their borders open. Not just slagging off NSW and Victoria as a bunch of infected morons who want to pass the disease on to them. I don't think it is reasonable at this point of time to say that borders will only re-open when there have been zero new cases for 14 days in NSW and Victoria. If that is their rationale then the borders will not be opened for a very long time.

I am curious as to why it is considered so urgent to re-open state borders? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dalai said:

Chris has wanted to open the floodgates for many weeks now! But to show people can't be trusted to do the right thing without the threat of heavy fines, last weekend out at the Redwood plantation just past Warburton is just one example...

Second wave and more lock downs will be inevitable!

Second wave?  

did I miss the first wave?  

also please supply proof of all the heavy fines those people were given. 

were thousands of fines really handed out? 

Edited by Peter

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

also please supply proof of all the heavy fines those people were given. 

were thousands of fines really handed out? 

I wrote threat of heavy fines. Read what I said instead of trying to pick a fight.

As to wave - from https://www.health.gov.au  7133 cases and 102 deaths as of today. Thankfully due to measures implemented it wasn't a tidal wave, but a wave none the less.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Katz said:

It is fairly urgent for qld as we rely on tourism and that means many hundreds of jobs are on hold however I support our Premier in being cautious.  Based on how NSW handled the Ruby Princess debacle it makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

It is fairly urgent for qld as we rely on tourism and that means many hundreds of jobs are on hold however I support our Premier in being cautious.  Based on how NSW handled the Ruby Princess debacle it makes sense to me. 

Yeah, that make sense. 

I can't understand why the NSW Premier is so concerned, unless she had a holiday planned in Noosa during the school holidays.

There's nothing south of the border that we're interested in, so opening it won't boost their tourist numbers much (and remember, if we really want to go we can, but then self isolate at home when we return). All it does is stop NSW people coming here, so should therefore make it more likely NSW people will spend their money in NSW.

Is it stopping trade crossing the border? I thought transport trucks could still operate across the border.

1 hour ago, Katz said:

Politics Manual - Chapter 1 - Deflection of blame.

When you're up and over your head in political bullcrap, its essential that you blame somebody else for something completely unrelated to your present situation.  Then people will look at them and not you and you can quietly go around cleaning things up without being annoyed by people asking embarrassing questions about why you screwed up in the first place

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And with travel limits of 150km from your home, and no overnight stays, expanding to 250km limits next month, there's not many people from interstate that would be able to meet that requirement anyway. A roadmap of easing restrictions has been developed and is being followed, and opening the border to interstate tourists is against everything in it up until July.

eta: Stage 2 starts just before the school holidays here, so it'll be interesting to see whether there is an increase in spread after that.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

1 hour ago, Katz said:

We've heard that Perth is party central, and we have FOMO

• Haha 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

We've heard that Perth is party central, and we have FOMO

LOL. Yeah, nah.....

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Prince said:

There you go. One incident that was not handled well at the start of the pandemic and all people from NSW are demonised. Go ahead and keep your borders closed for 2 years. But then don't ask to be subsidised by the rest of the country when your main industry goes belly up. Queenslander..........

Seriously, why doesn't your government work out how the whole country (and NZ) can support your tourism industry in a Covidsafe environment.

The QLD government set out a roadmap. 
as did all state governments.

it was agreed at the time that each state would progress at different speeds. 
Now, political pressure is being brought by people outside QLD attempting to change that. 
Bearing in mind, the next assessment stage for QLD is next week, what’s the big deal?

how is terry from Sydney not being able to holiday on the gold coast hurting NSW?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I can't understand why the NSW Premier is so concerned, unless she had a holiday planned in Noosa during the school holidays.

There's nothing south of the border that we're interested in, so opening it won't boost their tourist numbers much (and remember, if we really want to go we can, but then self isolate at home when we return). All it does is stop NSW people coming here, so should therefore make it more likely NSW people will spend their money in NSW.

Is it stopping trade crossing the border? I thought transport trucks could still operate across the border.

Scomo not happy 

Anastasia is only keeping the border closed to piss off Peter Dutton.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Works for me. :)

And don't forget Pauline.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Closing the borders isn't helping.  They both keep getting back in.  Something about them being residents  

31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Works for me. :)

I recon Pauline has just jumped on the bandwagon to get some press. There’s a Qld election later this year and Covid19  (and our restrictions) is  the only show in town. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Scomo not happy 

Another good reason to keep it going then. :D

10 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

While it is factually true that most hospitals, in the US, get a larger payment for Covid treatment (due to the extra costs of treatment), there is no evidence that hospitals are rorting the system. A number of fact checking web sites have investigated this claim.

I agree and answered the question about testing and funding, they are not barriers to treatment. Finding out how to get treated is the problem, which of course results in people either riding it out or dismissing their symptoms as just the cold and going out into the world, transmitting to others.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe Gladys is deliberately antagonising your premier so she keeps the border closed - ie can’t be seen the back down.

That way when travel restrictions ease in NSW next week, if NSW residents travel they will do so in NSW and spend the money in NSW.

11 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I recon Pauline has just jumped on the bandwagon to get some press. There’s a Qld election later this year and Covid19  (and our restrictions) is  the only show in town. 

She says it’s unconstitutional.   Doubt she could even spell the word.  

15 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

There you go. One incident that was not handled well at the start of the pandemic and all people from NSW are demonised. Go ahead and keep your borders closed for 2 years. But then don't ask to be subsidised by the rest of the country when your main industry goes belly up. Queenslander..........

Seriously, why doesn't your government work out how the whole country (and NZ) can support your tourism industry in a Covidsafe environment.

Don’t get testy.   
Borders will be open soon once the trust is built up again. 😄

1 hour ago, Prince said:

She says it’s unconstitutional.   Doubt she could even spell the word.  

I think she said its unconstitutional because it's not in the constitution (or words to that effect) 

Doubt she's ever looked at the constitution.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

NSW and Victoria as a bunch of infected morons who want to pass the disease on to them. 

I agree 100% with you. I think that WA should increase the height of the rabbit proof fence to keep you lot out! 🐇

We will keep our taxes, GST and iron ore on this side of the fence, you can keep your diseases and Pauline on the east coast.

• Haha 1

Ironically only one new case identified in NSW, and its a dirty, stinking Queenslander. 

Build the wall, Build the wall  :lol: 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, roxii said:

can you take that to the trump tread!!!!

26 minutes ago, roxii said:

Ironically only one new case identified in NSW, and its a dirty, stinking Queenslander. 

Gees one day you want to open the borders and the next day you're building a wall.  Make your mind up.

8 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

Maybe Gladys is deliberately antagonising your premier so she keeps the border closed - ie can’t be seen the back down.

That way when travel restrictions ease in NSW next week, if NSW residents travel they will do so in NSW and spend the money in NSW.

I think this whole border thing is pretty interesting. Six months ago Anistasia and the ALP were shot ducks and no chance of winning the election later this year, a large part due to Jackie Trad. Now suddenly she’s seen by most as doing a great job with Qld’s virus response and has edged ahead in the polls. Most people here want the border to remain shut for a while longer. 
The LNP leader in Qld is really stuck between a rock and a hard place. She can’t go too hard to open the borders because it’s not popular and would hurt her brand. That’s why some of the other liberal leaders around the country are doing the heavy lifting for her. If momentum swings on this issue I’m sure she’ll get on board. 
Paulene is looking for press and a point of difference. If she’s to have any success in the next Qld election she’ll need to win over a lot of the traditional LNP Nationals voters in the regions. She probably  sees this as a way of making herself look like she’s now the main force opposing the ALP in Qld.

I noticed Pauline claimed to have a lawyer working pro bono on the high court challenge but I see now she’s asking for donations. I seem to remember the same thing happened with the defence of Malcolm Roberts citizenship case. 

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

I think she said its unconstitutional because it's not in the constitution (or words to that effect) 

Doubt she's ever looked at the constitution.

I recon she must be getting her legal advice from Malcolm Roberts 

• Haha 1

She might be dumb enough to have Roberts on her ticket, but I don't think even she's dumb enough to listen to him!  And I never give  PH any credit, so that's saying a lot!

We are taking the evacuation option with me and the kids and evaluate in 6 months. Never thought I'd be so happy at the prospect of returning to the nation of westies and bogans where it is high fashion to wear footy shorts and a mambo vest to the shop.

• Like 2

Cmon mate 

It’s coming on winter we start to lift our fashion game now

It’s socks and thongs to go with the shorts and singlet

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, roxii said:

Cmon mate 

It’s coming on winter we start to lift our fashion game now

It’s socks and thongs to go with the shorts and singlet

Or Ugg Boots to go with the flannie.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Of course, if you are going somewhere formal. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

We are taking the evacuation option with me and the kids and evaluate in 6 months. Never thought I'd be so happy at the prospect of returning to the nation of westies and bogans where it is high fashion to wear footy shorts and a mambo vest to the shop.

I hope it all works out well for you Barry.

At least being quarantined in a hotel when you get back shouldn't be too big a shock to the system for you.

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I hope it all works out well for you Barry.

At least being quarantined in a hotel when you get back shouldn't be too big a shock to the system for you.

Lets see if I make the news for moaning about my 5 star digs

41 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Lets see if I make the news for moaning about my 5 star digs

You can do it Barry. We believe in you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, roxii said:
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Of course, if you are going somewhere formal. 

You have just described my work from home wear for the cooler months.

2 hours ago, gregb said:

You can do it Barry. We believe in you.

During quarantine I should have immunity from moderation and banning

• Haha 1

On 19/05/2020 at 2:43 PM, monkie said:

Daily figures here: https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk

Look out for Peng Wu's replies. They're some of the most useful charts.

image.thumb.png.2a9ce85d879e5864e1cdd92f06db3cdc.png

Live data lives here: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

It seems Britain is getting back to normal whilst it's death rate goes up? 412 yesterday. I'm obviously missing something or not understanding the stats.