Peter

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Also, his code wasn't spaghetti. Have a look at it, if you know C and Python then it's not that hard to understand: https://github.com/mrc-ide/covid-sim

They have definitely gone hard at him, Had a read and they were quite open about how their model works and limitations.

Agree, USA, Brazil and UK took too long to act. Now that we have acted concern is the economic actions may miss the mark

• Like 1

I see we had a bit of a clerical error here with the job keeper allowance. 
The bailout now only estimated to cost 70 billion instead of 130 billion.

Nice surprise finding that down the back of the couch. 

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

I see we had a bit of a clerical error here with the job keeper allowance. 
The bailout now only estimated to cost 70 billion instead of 130 billion.

Nice surprise finding that down the back of the couch. 

do we know what happened to the 60?

Apparently they asked businesses to let them know how many employees would be affected (and therefore get the $1500 per fortnight) 

Some businesses put the amount (1500) in the number column, so 1500 instead of 1 which grossly inflated the expected spend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

do we know what happened to the 60?

Possibly the government didn't realise how much of the workforce aren't really permanent workers anymore.

• Like 1

Nsw getting heaps of positives in the 25-29 age group. 

8A1645E4-041D-41C0-B614-6ED5604F915E.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Peter said:

Hardly any, if any, of which will die

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hardly any, if any, of which will die

I assume they are spreading it to people that do die. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Peter said:

I assume they are spreading it to people that do die. 

Unless those people in higher risk demographics are looked after, as I've been saying for a while now

5 hours ago, roxii said:

Apparently they asked businesses to let them know how many employees would be affected (and therefore get the $1500 per fortnight) 

Some businesses put the amount (1500) in the number column, so 1500 instead of 1 which grossly inflated the expected spend.

So having completed the process for quite few business it was easy to get it wrong 

1. Register 

2 nominations of employees 

3. Nominate a business employee 

4 declaration of income and projected each month

5 repeat for each month going forward 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Getting? Or got it a month ago or more? Isn’t this old news? Big spikes in Bondi and Eastern suburbs backpackers parties when distancing first came in and was being blatantly ignored by young people in high density areas 

44 minutes ago, chris said:

So having completed the process for quite few business it was easy to get it wrong 

1. Register 

2 nominations of employees 

3. Nominate a business employee 

4 declaration of income and projected each month

5 repeat for each month going forward 

I think Roxii was talking about the initial process which was simply to indicate whether your company was going to take part in the JobKeeper program.  and then subsequently businesses had to 1. Register, 2. Nominate.... etc

Having gone through it, the initial process of indicating whether your company was to take part in the jobkeeper scheme was a total and complete ballsup and I'm not surprised that companies and particularly sole-traders got it wrong. 

Eventually, we ended up phoning the appropriate mob to sort it all out for us.  And from the comments of the poor girl on the other end of the phone, we wern't the only ones who were completely baffled. 

In comparison, the monthly process is an absolute breeze.

I would say many companies registered their intent and then didn’t qualify. We didn’t qualify for March or April but have put in an application for May. Businesses like mine, my local cafe may not qualify based on income. If they based it off profit they’d need to find more money to give out 

My firm registered intent because the first few weeks were completely dead - I reduced my hours to 3 days per week and it looked like I would have to drop some more.  Then bam, we're now flat out and obviously don't qualify.  

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Getting? Or got it a month ago or more? Isn’t this old news? Big spikes in Bondi and Eastern suburbs backpackers parties when distancing first came in and was being blatantly ignored by young people in high density areas 

The age group data was only recently released.  

not currently active cases I’d assume but they were getting infected in that age group the most. 

Remember that most of our cases come from overseas. So the age group spread probably reflects the amount of travelling by age group. That is why it is high for 20-35 and then 60-69. That is my theory, not proven science.

The key thing to remember is that our number of new cases started to drop as soon as we brought in Quarantine for incoming travelers. Now we have to work out how to allow overseas travel and keep the numbers under control. That will be a challenge.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2020 at 2:05 PM, zed said:

. Loads of examples including the couple who got married Sunday with 500 guests, Bondi beach packed until it was closed etc etc I got mates that are organising a cricket match and beers after this Saturday... people are not getting the message. Intelligent people, that went to uni that are ignoring 99% of health professionals and relying on internet memes for their COVOID-19 advice.  

Well all the backpackers have left Bondi and headed to France it seems 

27DEFC3B-CAE8-4046-8640-48692C7BBF1B.png

Not sure I where you got that article from, but it loses all credibility - Morbihan is not in the north west of Brittany...

11 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

Not sure I where you got that article from, but it loses all credibility - Morbihan is not in the north west of Brittany...

It is poorly worded for sure. Its in Brittany, and NW France. But not NW Brittany. 

14 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

9news.  Its in The screen shot. 

goes to what I’ve always said.  Journalists get about 60% correct in articles. They no longer research. 

so people claiming you must supply sources are deluded. 

Spoke with reason and another builder already offering 65 k straight up on a build. Government talking 50 k also for a new build.

suggests construction not looking confident.

that should pay for my 25 yard lap pool anyone no a good pool person 

Was chatting to a mate yesterday who works for a company that makes waffle pods for the house building industry, along other things.  Had been pretty busy with them, but everything pretty much stopped dead at the end of last week.

Apparently urine kills the virus. 

58,000 American's died during the Vietnam war in the 19 years it was fought  

100,000 Americans have died from corona in 4 months. 

I wonder if they will have a public holiday for those that have died in America from the virus 

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

58,000 American's died during the Vietnam war in the 19 years it was fought  

100,000 Americans have died from corona in 4 months. 

I wonder if they will have a public holiday for those that have died in America from the virus 

The thing is the people protesting at the moment are the ones that wouldn't have protested to stop the Vietnam War.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

On 23/05/2020 at 7:19 AM, monkie said:

Also, his code wasn't spaghetti. Have a look at it, if you know C and Python then it's not that hard to understand: https://github.com/mrc-ide/covid-sim

It's not spaghetti, but it is a long way from good coding.  I assume the author's skill is simulation, because it's certainly not coding.  Any half decent developer could write that in a fraction of the lines of code (ie. 75% less lines).

Doesn't mean the simulation isn't good.  Looks extremely configurable, with heaps of parameters loaded from configuration files.  His concept looks great, but he's not a skilled computer programmer.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The thing is the people protesting at the moment are the ones that wouldn't have protested to stop the Vietnam War.

Probably because those people are opposed to authoritarianism 

10 hours ago, Rob said:

It's not spaghetti, but it is a long way from good coding.  I assume the author's skill is simulation, because it's certainly not coding.  Any half decent developer could write that in a fraction of the lines of code (ie. 75% less lines).

Doesn't mean the simulation isn't good.  Looks extremely configurable, with heaps of parameters loaded from configuration files.  His concept looks great, but he's not a skilled computer programmer.

No. He's a data scientist. I think perhaps one of the data scientists I work with (totalling 30) would describe themselves as a skilled computer programmer.

Another Covid boat in WA. 
A good demonstration of why you can’t just open up to all and sundry in one hit. 
it’s all about risk management. 

And just 1 day after schools fully returning in NSW, 2 private schools have closed due to Covid-19 cases. Unrelated to the return, but brilliant timing.

Covid-19 cases are going to happen for the next 2 years at least unless we get a vaccine. We have to learn to live with it, control outbreaks and have a good health system that has the necessary capacity. We still get Measles and other dangerous diseases but we don't close the borders every time we get a case in Sydney or Melbourne

SA imports a case from Victoria. 

Edited by Tyno

39 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Covid-19 cases are going to happen for the next 2 years at least unless we get a vaccine. We have to learn to live with it, control outbreaks and have a good health system that has the necessary capacity. We still get Measles and other dangerous diseases but we don't close the borders every time we get a case in Sydney or Melbourne

Thank you.  Can we close this thread on the brilliant post?

1 hour ago, Mr Flower said:

Excellent summation 

2 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

True, but there are vaccines for measles and many other dangerous diseases. While there are still countries with hundreds of thousands of cases, a lot of governments are a bit on edge (especially going into election time).

Qld Health have just reported the death of a 30 year old man in Blackwater, a mining town in central Qld. He was not diagnosed with Covid until after his death. His partner is also sick and has been tested with results pending.

This is the type of thing they are so worried about. Cases out in the general public going undiagnosed, with the potential of spreading.

note: Apparently he had other health issues, but is still now Australia's youngest Covid fatality.

Glad Queensland won’t open borders. 

This is what has we wondering about the US figures?  How many people there won't go to hospital because of the fear of costs?  How many low income/poor could be sick or have died without anyone knowing why?

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

This is what has we wondering about the US figures?  How many people there won't go to hospital because of the fear of costs?  How many low income/poor could be sick or have died without anyone knowing why?

Google tells me there are 151,000 in California alone.  

can only imagine if it hits them and whether it would be counted or not in official stats. 

40 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Qld Health have just reported the death of a 30 year old man in Blackwater, a mining town in central Qld. He was not diagnosed with Covid until after his death. His partner is also sick and has been tested with results pending.

This is the type of thing they are so worried about. Cases out in the general public going undiagnosed, with the potential of spreading.

note: Apparently he had other health issues, but is still now Australia's youngest Covid fatality.

Many health issues according to news.com

so maybe he may have just died

3 minutes ago, chris said:

Many health issues according to news.com

so maybe he may have just died

True, but he died with Covid, and could have passed it to other people.

Maybe the stats should read "Died with Covid" rather than "Dies of Covid".

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

True, but he died with Covid, and could have passed it to other people.

Maybe the stats should read "Died with Covid" rather than "Dies of Covid".

It also makes me wonder how long Covid May be lying ‘dormant’ in some people.  Yesterday I even heard of a new case from the Ruby Princess which I would have thought that being so long ago was impossible. 
Goes to show that this virus isn’t done with yet at all and no wonder our Premier wants to keep our borders closed for now.