Peter

Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, roxii said:

In an interesting aside;

my daughter was talking to one of her school friends yesterday who happens to be a jehovas witness. 
Apparently they are all getting excited as they believe this is the beginning of the end.

Fark me. If they are so keen maybe they can swap places with the people in NYC, but they wouldn't. When faith is tested it almost always is found to be wanting.

Except for the Bagwhan of the orange people

Ray of hope

"It wasn’t a blip. The amount of new daily hospitalizations has been declining since last Thursday: from 1,427 on April 2 to 1,095 on April 3 to 656 on April 6 to 200 on April 8. "

Reports from South Korea of 91 people who had recovered from covid have now tested positive again.

Initial thoughts are rather than the positive tests were cases of reinfection, instead the virus has reactivated in those individuals.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Reports from South Korea of 91 people who had recovered from covid have now tested positive again.

Initial thoughts are rather than the positive tests were cases of reinfection, instead the virus has reactivated in those individuals.

I'll wait and see if the daily mail reports this as they are the only real source of truth these days.

• Haha 2

If you go down in the woods today.......

......you'll find a whole lot of under 30s breaching the social gathering rules.

Fark me just back from a solo mtb ride in the local piney.  Some dodgy medieval shit going on out there 🧙‍♂️

They looked at me real sheepish-like.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

51 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

No he has all the attributes of a snake oil salesman 

Its only a matter of time before his advice gets someone killed and either he ends up in jail or broke. 

• Like 1

Just now, Peter said:

Its only a matter of time before his advice gets someone killed and either he ends up in jail or broke. 

or before we get to that point, all current parties including Channel 7 practice social and commercial distancing from him

53 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

No he has all the attributes of a snake oil salesman 

He is an a grade lunatic 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cottoneyes said:

or before we get to that point, all current parties including Channel 7 practice social and commercial distancing from him

$$$ Evans says certain foods are bad then eats them on national TV

34 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

He is an a grade lunatic 

Now that is just insulting to all Lunatics.

On 09/04/2020 at 11:01 AM, Go Easy said:

Any updates on Chrissy yet?  They are meant to be flying home today or tomorrow.

Hopefully everything will work out ok, but it must be a scary time for them.  She's a tough unit, but this something else.

An update on the Penthouse Pet, it sounds like she and the rest of the group are landing back in Australia tomorrow.

The not so good news is that, if you can believe the media, about 70 out of the group of 100 have tested positive for the Virus.  She's young and healthy, so the stats are on her side, but it must still must be fairly scary for her.  Finger's crossed for them all.

7 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Hey Paul, do you have a link to this article/paper? Very interested to read it

Slowtwitch are still getting excited for Kona 2020....

• Haha 1

Can't see how triathlons or any other event like this can run, How anyone would volunteer handing out cups people running spitting.

They should start up pro sports with no crowds with absolute controls and testing for all. It would help I think get us through.

8 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Can't see how triathlons or any other event like this can run, How anyone would volunteer handing out cups people running spitting.

They should start up pro sports with no crowds with absolute controls and testing for all. It would help I think get us through.

Testing results in minutes now. 

if I was ironman I’d only do a pro race if they could get it happening. 

age groups, zero chance. 

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

age groups, zero chance. 

Considering it’s the age groupers that pay fir it all, running a pro race would be throwing good money after bad.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

age groups, zero chance. 

When did those tests come out? You would hope the massive medical and big pharma industry could focus its collective efforts on making them and PPE, also maybe some toilet roll.

Might be time to accept the Private health insurance is an absolute scam and should be canned, as always when things go bag government, that is the people pay.

Look at those princes at qantas won't pay their COVID infected workforce sick leave

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Considering it’s the age groupers that pay fir it all, running a pro race would be throwing good money after bad.  

They could do it on a much shorter course.  Closed even like the Daytona Challenge event.  

they will still want a 2020 World Champion. 

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

When did those tests come out?

82CA8DF5-5F09-475B-A96B-4ADAF60FAABA.png

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Hope they smash these out. The only way to have some of life back is testing rapid so we can control like for pro sports 

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Hope they smash these out. The only way to have some of life back is testing rapid so we can control like for pro sports 

Just because you get tested, doesn't mean you wont get it 5 mins later. What are you going to do.... carry it with you and test everyone you come across. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Hope they work better than the Uk "rapid"  test ones that were worse than useless due to inaccurate readings.  Hopefully not just a seen to be doing something effort as if they delivered as promised they should be out there everywhere.

23 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Just because you get tested, doesn't mean you wont get it 5 mins later. What are you going to do.... carry it with you and test everyone you come across. 

There's the possibility, if these are accurate, of using them to allow various things like professional sport, group workplaces and the likes start to get back to normal. You get tested, sit in isolation for an hour or whatever it takes, then move through the quarantine gate. You could even use it to allow flights to start up again.

35 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Tim Brooke Taylor has died overnight with Covid-19. 

RIP.

Bloody sad night, Sir Stirling Moss has also passed overnight (not Covid) as well

• Like 1

Sweden seemly picked the wrong direction  

3E583A15-DFD0-43F4-BF1E-E18BFC7123AC.jpeg

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sweden seemly picked the wrong direction  

3E583A15-DFD0-43F4-BF1E-E18BFC7123AC.jpeg

If I were Finland or Norway I'd have very tight border controls.

9 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Bloody sad night, Sir Stirling Moss has also passed overnight (not Covid) as well

John H. Conway also passed away from COVID-19.

For those who may not know he was a mathematical giant.

While his contributions to mathematics were extraordinary, what he is best known for by the general public was his animated "Game of Life", which showed complex life-like behaviour from implementation of a few simple rules.

On 02/04/2020 at 11:27 AM, IronJimbo said:

How full are those planes? 

How many of those planes are flying in order to keep their contracted terminal access active?

How many of those are cargo planes?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Yes stuff still needs to move. Food online shopping etc.

the last few days have been about testing readiness willingness to open things up a bit in May.

Australia looks to have done well at limiting the spread. Are we ready for the projected 10% unemployment in June.

non existent international tourism. Also given we don’t make a lot of things will prices of imports go up

Do you think they are going to entertain the idea of elimination here in Oz?  We have done so well thus far that I (uneducated in pandemics etc) think it it worth considering...

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Are we ready for the projected 10% unemployment in June.

I'm assuming the 10% doesn't include the 6,000,000 workers the Gov says will be getting the Job Keeper allowance. That puts the real "out of work" figures over 50%.

13 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm assuming the 10% doesn't include the 6,000,000 workers the Gov says will be getting the Job Keeper allowance. That puts the real "out of work" figures over 50%.

If that’s the case and I don’t doubt it is. Then the economy is gone. Between that and those on pensions there will be very few working.

we may well have a good health outcome but a devastating economic one

15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And how does it factor in those people who have lost their jobs and due to the household income level are unable to access unemployment benefits? Or are those people somehow captured already? 

2 hours ago, -H- said:

Not sure whether I believe China or the US (probably neither) - I don't doubt more than 3000 people have died from CV in China but 21 million sounds like a conspiracy theory 

https://web.archive.org/web/20200406190917/https://n5ti.com/health/1233/

Part of it is true - Beijing announced on March 19 that over 21 million cell phone accounts in China were cancelled in the past three months while 840,000 landlines were closed. But the cancellations have been largely because of reduced business and social activities resulting from the virus. 

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Australia looks to have done well at limiting the spread. Are we ready for the projected 10% unemployment in June.

non existent international tourism. Also given we don’t make a lot of things will prices of imports go up

Whilst they had a planned entry strategy and have executed that it appears they did it without an exit strategy which seems a bit odd.  Knowing a few people in the world of academia, I can imagine what this report will look like once all the egos come out to play....  I mean, 80???

However, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr Nick Coatsworth says it is “too early to be talking about relaxation at the moment”.

Coatsworth says the restrictions are here to stay for the near future, while the Federal Government has asked 80 experts to report back on April 20 to advise on the benefits and risks of easing existing restrictions.

14 minutes ago, truck said:

Coatsworth says the restrictions are here to stay for the near future, while the Federal Government has asked 80 experts to report back on April 20 to advise on the benefits and risks of easing existing restrictions.

By asking 80, they are bound to get enough different responses so that no matter what they do they can say they took the advice of experts in the field.

Not sure where I read or heard it but from what I understand you never let doctors control the economy as they are always worse case scenario. They don’t take risk whatsoever 

We we need a balance.