Peter

Coronavirus

39 minutes ago, more said:

Which people are ignoring which facts here? 

24 minutes ago, Peter said:

Not you. The other 2

At least their doing together in a group of two. That's good, at least.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

You can ride in twos.  Not that I’ve been riding outside. 

chris here rides daily in a group of two. 

It says with someone who lives with you,  not a mate.   

2 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Not in Western Australia we can ride with one other person, they don’t have to live with you

5 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

actually all household members can ride with one other.   however, as it is a bit confusing and many just see 3 or more riding, I surely wouldn't do it as a group of 3 or more is a big chance of being abused and run off the road and worse at the moment. 

Edited by Prince

this is one of my favourites. strange lot this NSW run crowd.  they are all stopping off to get a kebab. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Powerhouse "Farmers Markets" in Brisbane today. FFS can't people see the idiocy in this?

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd and outdoor

It’s just like those drafting pack shots at IM Melbourne - they are actually 15m apart and the camera shortens it.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Prince said:

actually all household members can ride with one other.   however, as it is a bit confusing and many just see 3 or more riding, I surely wouldn't do it as a group of 3 or more is a big chance of being abused and run off the road and worse at the moment. 

Says as long as 1.5m apart these guys weren't 1.5m apart

Screenshot_20200405-160356_Samsung Internet.jpg

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

That’s my point. Yet some people are making judgements without the full knowledge of what’s going on. 

These days this seems to be a pre-requisite skill for a job in politics or the media

20 minutes ago, Prince said:

That would make a lot of sense.

"Hey, those 4 people shouldn't be riding together, one may infect the others with covid and put a strain on the medical system. I better run them off the road!"

#boganlogic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Prince said:

this is one of my favourites. strange lot this NSW run crowd.  they are all stopping off to get a kebab. 

I don't think it's a NSW vs WA thing.

I reckon it's ultra runner thing. We've all eaten some weird stuff on those really long runs.

QLD Police Twitter:
Police have issued 58 COVID infringements  ($1334 each) to people at a large car rally in Rochedale overnight.

So, yeah, some people aren’t getting it. 

6 minutes ago, Tyno said:

QLD Police Twitter:
Police have issued 58 COVID infringements  ($1334 each) to people at a large car rally in Rochedale overnight.

So, yeah, some people aren’t getting it. 

The first infringement was to an unlicensed brothel.

When (if) the government does finally release the modelling and explanatory notes, assuming they release all/enough of it, then we'll be in a position to see what strategy they are attempting to deploy and what they currently view as the end game and priorities.

It's hard to know at the moment because we are still at the early stages of this journey and current tactics could be applicable for more than one trajectory plan.

I have no issue with the models adjusting as more and better information comes to light, and that in turn may result in modifying the government's strategies and expected end game.

It is important this information be made available and they be transparent about the strategy. Millions of people with a lot more thinking time on their hands are eventually going to fill in an information vacuum themselves, and it'll be shaped by whichever media they tend to consume (e.g. the cohort listening to Alan Jones telling everyone it's all overblown). If everyone knows where we are seeking to head towards and what the measures of success or strategy change triggers are, then I think it will give more incentive to keep on working together and to do so for longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Says as long as 1.5m apart these guys weren't 1.5m apart

Screenshot_20200405-160356_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yet you still don’t have the qualifications or the power to stop them. 
unless you reported them to the police which I doubt you did.  

If they live together they don't have to stay 1.5m apart because they already have each other's germs. But if it's with one person from outside your household you still have to practise social distancing. 

It's either/or, you can't have 3 people from a household plus one extra

• Like 1

Just saw Chrissie on the ABC news. Still stuck on the Greg Mortimer boat off South America.

Edited by skel
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The first infringement was to an unlicensed brothel.

Some people are getting it then *nudge nudge, wink wink*

5 hours ago, Peter said:

That’s my point. Yet some people are making judgements without the full knowledge of what’s going on. 

It's a shame Rog isn't on here anymore. Would be good to get first-hand info on what's going on in New York. 😞

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skel said:

...Seriously......stay the f@#k home so we can squash the curve to 0. The quicker we ALL do our part.....the quicker we can ALL go f@$king surfing. 🤬🤬🤬🤬..

Is this the plan though? To squash the curve to zero? I don't know what the plan is anymore!

5 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Cyclists still riding in twos and threes today

Allowed as far as I know - if you live in the same house...

On 04/04/2020 at 5:19 PM, Paul Every said:

Remember the panic buying of toilet paper?

How difficult do we think it would be for front-line medical staff to secure masks (not just in Aust, but around the world), if everyone was required to wear a mask in public.

it's already reached this level. My daughters ACL reco was cancelled this week as the biggest prvate hospital chain in NSW doesnt have face shields for orthopaeic suregeons and anaesthetists

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, SomeTri said:

I think I understand what Katz is saying. Initially there was talk about flattening the curve. The idea was that the same amount of people would get the virus, but it would be spread out so that the hospital system could cope and could save lives. Lots of us would get it and thwn we would end up with herd immunity. However we need more people to get sick and recover for this to happen. So far we don't have many cases (in comparison to other countries) and herd immunity will not happen for a very long time at this rate.  So if here immunity is the end game, maybe we've gone too hard, too early. If eradication is the end game, then yeah, maybe??? 

Without knowing, without those projections being released, we're left in the dark

Herd immunity = vaccinations. It's how we eradicated polio, rubella, smallpox etc until stupid people started holding sway over other stupid people on social media and things like measles and whooping cough increased again. It is pretty obvious the populace can't be trusted to isolate responsibly (25% of Victorians supposed to be self isolating who were randomly visted today were not at home). I hope the anti-vaxxer footballers wives etc don;t dare get themselves and their kids vaccinated against this when available. 

One of my mate's old schools (Iona College) is using their 3D printers to produce 650 PPE facemasks a day which they are donating to Metro Health here in Brisbane.

Image may contain: 1 person

• Like 7

10 hours ago, SomeTri said:

Is this the plan though? To squash the curve to zero? I don't know what the plan is anymore!

Allowed as far as I know - if you live in the same house...

No idea either, as there is so much mixed information. But we all really need to give a little. I live in a unit complex, with 56 units and huge amount of grassed areas. Only around 15 so people ever use the pool. This is my exerise to help my knee recovery. Our pool has been locked down and we can no longer sit outside to have a drink with three people.....we are all being asked up to give up something. If we all did the "it's my right" things could be worse. 

Edited by skel

Dear all media outlets,

Can we recognise there is less sports news at the moment and stop trying to fill this void.  No one cares about Kane Cornes or his opinions on who is currently stating he is a complete tosser, what Patrick Dangerfield had for breakfast or whether Wendall Sailor played with crabs in the 1999 test tour.  If you stood down the overpaid presenters such as Tim Watson, Tim Lane and Caroline Wilson, you may find you never really needed them anyway and people may start to watch and listen to your shows again.

thanks

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The ABC has some early data on the risk of dying from coronavirus depending on your age and any chronic illness.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-06/coronavirus-risk-diabetes-heart-disease-covid19/12113264

image.png.542c2a23d14f83ea74a8daf45db62a05.png

TLDR: Everyone has the same risk of being infected because the virus is new. However the probability of dying greatly increases if you are old or have a chronic illness.

10 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

The ABC has some early data on the risk of dying from coronavirus depending on your age and any chronic illness.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-06/coronavirus-risk-diabetes-heart-disease-covid19/12113264

TLDR: Everyone has the same risk of being infected because the virus is new. However the probability of dying greatly increases if you are old or have a chronic illness.

Theu forgot to mention the 100% death rate for Chinese officials who speak out

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I take these stats with a grain of salt. They are only across 500 deaths (it'd be interesting to see what it looks like across 50,000 deaths), and more importantly, what effect age has across these grouping. The older age groups are going to be represented much more in those with a "pre-existing conditions" and so age is likely to be the determining factor.

You need to look at a data set large enough that you can compare a few thousand 40-50 year olds with various underlying health issues and compare the mortality rate, then a few thousand 50 -60 year olds and do the same thing. Only then will you know what effect these have on Survival rates independent of age..

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

also be interesting to see a comparison of death rates if they toss in a control group.

Some good news in NZ, coffee roasters have been made an essential service. I have just paced an order to be couriered.

I was getting to the stage of having to consider supermarket beans.

With the 2 kids at home, and working from home, our coffee consumption has gone from 11 cups a week (me one eqch week day and 3 a day in the weekend) to 30+ cups, just hope my machine lasts.

20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And now it begins. 

image.thumb.png.24d968c465891b9c79d618008a7d49d1.png

Seeing many of the interviews from the ex passengers I was wondering why they were using the term negligence so many times 

You cant now even go for a drive? 

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-live-updates/live-coverage/b2623adf575b26f34ce47507c437996c

"People have been slapped with fines for "blatantly going for a drive" as police step up tough coronavirus crackdowns across the country, even as the spread appears to be slowing.

“On the weekend, we have fined people for blatantly just being out and about for going for a ride or a drive, which was clearly not essential travel,” Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll told reporters this afternoon."

6 minutes ago, more said:

“On the weekend, we have fined people for blatantly just being out and about for going for a ride or a drive, which was clearly not essential travel,” Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll told reporters this afternoon."

Have you noticed that all the people insisting we all stay at home, arn't actually doing it themselves and so have absolutely no idea what its like to be shut up in a house day after day, week after week.

After 3 weeks being shut up in the house, a drive anywhere was most definately essential travel.  We went from home to home and didn't stop and get out of the car anywhere.  

AJ

Queensland show in August now cancelled.  

sydney 70.3 in sept and port Mac have no chance I think. 

9 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Have you noticed that all the people insisting we all stay at home, arn't actually doing it themselves and so have absolutely no idea what its like to be shut up in a house day after day, week after week.

After 3 weeks being shut up in the house, a drive anywhere was most definately essential travel.  We went from home to home and didn't stop and get out of the car anywhere.  

AJ

I agree. Last Friday after a long week of us all being stuck inside we all jumped in the car and just went for a short drive around our town, didn't stop anywhere, just went for a drive. And I tell you we all felt a hell of a lot better for it. 

How in the hell us being in a car increases the risk of transmission is mind boggling. Talk about excessive control.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

Important question....Do we still get the Public Holiday?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince said:

Seeing many of the interviews from the ex passengers I was wondering why they were using the term negligence so many times 

Our youngest had the misfortune of walking right through the middle of them all at Circular Quay as she works right there.

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

I agree.

That was my immediate thought when I received the email announcing the Sept postponement date.

It finally happened.  I actually ran over the tail tip of a red belly black on the MTB track today.  Hopefully, it didn't do the poor little fella any damage, I love snakes.

Pretty impressed with my 1 sec reaction time to miss its head, not bad for an old fart.

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

The Qld Show, (Ecka) is renowned up here as the biggest flu fest going. It's in the coldest most miserable time of the year, the hygiene is pathetic, and I couldn't think of any greater crowd gathering in Brisbane, especially bringing in folks from all around the state. It would have spread any virus to all parts of the state in a week.

Maybe this will not only reduce the impact of Covid, but will free up the hospitals from all the usual flu cases.

3 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I agree.

That was my immediate thought when I received the email announcing the Sept postponement date.

But the nrl and afl are back in June

49 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

AJ

Yep.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/05/scotland-chief-medical-officer-seen-flouting-lockdown-advice-catherine-calderwood

47 minutes ago, more said:

I agree. Last Friday after a long week of us all being stuck inside we all jumped in the car and just went for a short drive around our town, didn't stop anywhere, just went for a drive. And I tell you we all felt a hell of a lot better for it. 

How in the hell us being in a car increases the risk of transmission is mind boggling. Talk about excessive control.. 

I rode to and from work today.  My god it felt good to ride outside. 

7 minutes ago, Toolish said:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-pandemic-australian-peak-could-be-just-one-week-away-research/cac7e420-6083-4826-a34d-a8689885433a

Man I hope this modelling is correct.  Hard to know without a lot more testing I would have thought?

It is still very speculative. It relies on 90% of the population adopting social distancing. Four lines later there is this headline

Gold Coast beaches to close as Aussies ignore social distancing rules

Good luck.

Well I was in the cbd today in melbourne and let me tell you, the construction Industry are doing nothing to slow or stop the virus. The southern cross stairs at Bourke street was full of tradies. Probably over 100 all sitting next to each other. 

I find it fascinating that as soon as its hot Or wet, they are tools down. But a virus killing people, nah we will keep working. 

guessing if they stop work they won’t get paid unlike if its wet Or hot. 

oh to be a tradie to be unable to catch corona virus. 

While police are fining people for non-essential travel and group activities let me suggest a few people that could be fined.  Now determining what is essential and non-essential is (in my view) extremely subjective.  In my view essential means that there is no other option. 

So the following people should be fined as the following activities are (according to my definition) non-essential

Anybody who has holds or attends an interview outdoors. e.g. Politicians, Police Commissioners,  Reporters.  No reason at all for these people to be  travelling,  outdoors or in a group situation purely for the purpose of an interview.   if the rest of us have to resort to virtual meetings then these people should set an example and do the same.  

Reporters doing their 15sec piece to camera in front of some outside location.  Whether they are there or not there doesn't add anything to the story.

AJ

• Like 1