Jump to content
Peter

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Sadly, after two days of falling new cases numbers, the number of new COVID-19 cases today has jumped up again to the highest single day number, and we still don't have WA case data in yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

It's not pointless when you are in proper lockdown. its hard to describe what it's like outside of big cities. Its eerily quiet. This was a way of collectively thanking the NHS but also, in a way, letting our neighbourhood know that we're getting through it together.

I didn't think it was dumb at all, it was quite emotional and is happening every  Thurs evening now.  If/when Oz goes properly locked down, you may feel the same.

We also have Red/Green cards to put in our windows to show if we're ok or need help.

Couldn't agree more.  With a brother as a frontline GP in Melbourne, it's incredibly stressful times for any healthcare worker at present particularly if other members of their immediate families also have underlying health conditions and there's a risk of transmission.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

Sadly, after two days of falling new cases numbers, the number of new COVID-19 cases today has jumped up again to the highest single day number, and we still don't have WA case data in yet.

Yeah but the data is in theory 2 weeks old from time of infection. 
 

in 1 week I’d expect nsw to have a massive jump and then again in 2 weeks from the photos of today. 
 

thinking about it, it will always jump after a weekend you’d think when people get out and mix when they shouldn’t be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chris said:

Wa is 13 excluding the cruise ships 

 

but 23 recovered so we went backwards 

It appears not to like heat.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulled over for doing 120 in Sydney.  Says she's going for a Corona test.  So spits on the officer who pulled her over.  Filth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still haven’t voted and not sure I will.  Someone already tested positive. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Prince said:

I still haven’t voted and not sure I will.  Someone already tested positive. 
 

 

They won’t fine you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Victoria, you're not allowed to ride with anyone other than a member of your own household (or run or swim for that matter).  Several beaches are closed but swimming in the bay is okay as long as you don't sit on the beach or hang around before or after.

Capture.PNG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Pulled over for doing 120 in Sydney.  Says she's going for a Corona test.  So spits on the officer who pulled her over.  Filth.

 

That is disgrace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, -H- said:

In Victoria, you're not allowed to ride with anyone other than a member of your own household (or run or swim for that matter).  Several beaches are closed but swimming in the bay is okay as long as you don't sit on the beach or hang around before or after.

Capture.PNG

Note the word premises. This is not about riding bikes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Note the word premises. This is not about riding bikes

Quote

Examples: sporting activity includes bike-riding, .............

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Yeah but the data is in theory 2 weeks old from time of infection. 
 

in 1 week I’d expect nsw to have a massive jump and then again in 2 weeks from the photos of today. 
 

thinking about it, it will always jump after a weekend you’d think when people get out and mix when they shouldn’t be. 

I've always made it clear that confirmed COVID-19 cases (like deaths) is a lag indicator, of the order of 10-14 days. Keep in mind infection with the coronavirus is not the same thing as having been confirmed to have COVID-19.

As for the weekend and potential for impact of extra mingling on case numbers, that may or may not be true. Remember there are probably fewer people mingling at workplaces/schools etc on a weekend as well. And often it comes down to sheer random chance as to whether such a mingling event ends up being benign or a disaster waiting to happen. For instance we never heard much about all the other weddings that happened on the same day as that one at Stanwell Tops.

But in any case there's not a precise timing delay between when a confirmed case of COVID-19 is registered and when the infection first took place, and as such even if weekends did represent a greater risk for infection than weekdays, this would still not likely show up as a weekend bias in the data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, -H- said:

In Victoria, you're not allowed to ride with anyone other than a member of your own household (or run or swim for that matter).  Several beaches are closed but swimming in the bay is okay as long as you don't sit on the beach or hang around before or after.

Capture.PNG

Is this likely to occur in Qld ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realised. We're likely to be in lock-down for Mothers day. :(

Poor Mum.

 

I suppose it will be serial visitors saying hello from the front lawn.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But whilever hairdressers are allowed to trade and boot camps can have 10 participants you can understand why some will still ride in a small group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just realised. We're likely to be in lock-down for Mothers day. :(

Poor Mum.

 

I suppose it will be serial visitors saying hello from the front lawn.

That was us last weekend. My sister is staying with my Mum anyway, so we have a video call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter said:

I rode solo today and haven’t left the house since.   Not sure why I bothered given the photos from Cronulla and Manly today. 

887D6ED2-DEB3-4626-919C-B4DD5071F6AF.jpeg

E1D7E197-B71C-4C5E-926A-31943777C70B.jpeg

I really hope that Oz is in such better shape, that you get away with this. If not, you're in for a big shock soon. :(

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal ad:

Single male with abundance of toilet paper seeks single female with stockpile of hand sanitiser for good clean fun

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -H- said:

In Victoria, you're not allowed to ride with anyone other than a member of your own household (or run or swim for that matter).  Several beaches are closed but swimming in the bay is okay as long as you don't sit on the beach or hang around before or after.

Capture.PNG

Yeah saw this the pic  

 

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I really hope that Oz is in such better shape, that you get away with this. If not, you're in for a big shock soon. :(

I just took the dog for a walk as I’ve been inside all day. 
 

there is no one out.  I saw 2 cars of which one was a cop car.  And one motorbike delivery guy. 
 

one other person walking a dog.   It was 7:30pm. 

6F6B5DD6-C601-4AC5-8D63-C8753F43A079.jpeg

Edited by Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yeah saw this the pic  

 

I just took the dog for a walk as I’ve been inside all day. 
 

there is no one out.  I saw 2 cars of which one was a cop car.  And one motorbike delivery guy. 
 

one other person walking a dog.   It was 7:30pm. 

 

Those pictures from Sydney suggest the message isn't getting through there though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dazaau said:

Note the word premises. This is not about riding bikes

"premises" includes—

        (a)     land (whether or not vacant);

        (b)     the whole or any part of a building, tent, stall or other structure (whether of a permanent or temporary nature);

        (c)     a pontoon;

        (d)     a vehicle;

        (e)     a caravan or camper-trailer;

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, -H- said:

"premises" includes—

        (a)     land (whether or not vacant);

        (b)     the whole or any part of a building, tent, stall or other structure (whether of a permanent or temporary nature);

        (c)     a pontoon;

        (d)     a vehicle;

        (e)     a caravan or camper-trailer;

Thanks, must be written by the same people who write government legislation. Hopeless!

I wonder why this is not more widely reported, I think there are a lot of people catching up over walks, runs and rides. Do you have a link? I'd like to shoot it around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Thanks, must be written by the same people who write government legislation. Hopeless!

I wonder why this is not more widely reported, I think there are a lot of people catching up over walks, runs and rides. Do you have a link? I'd like to shoot it around.

Found it :)

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/202003/Prohibited Gatherings Direction - 25 March 2020.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Those pictures from Sydney suggest the message isn't getting through there though.

Unreal how some people just don't get it isn't it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Unreal how some people just don't get it isn't it.

My neighbour has his mates around yet again tonight, playing music and handing each other beers while discussing covid. Honestly. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Thanks, must be written by the same people who write government legislation. Hopeless!

Yep, the definition is in the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, so it is government legislation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -H- said:

Yep, the definition is in the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, so it is government legislation

Yes, the words on a premises are entirely redundant it would seem 😛 I suppose it leaves air space open ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, -H- said:

And the bay 

True 😂 My mates are claiming roads are not land, or tails. Land is a block or similar.  

I think I'll go with playing it safe. 

All very confusing in any case. 10 for a funeral, 5 for a wedding, 4m2 per person for other things. No strict law on home gatherings. 

Every contact is a risk. That's my theory

Edited by dazaau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Prince said:

I still haven’t voted and not sure I will.  Someone already tested positive. 

Quote

A public service announcement to anyone who chose not to attend a polling booth in Queensland today. Apparently fear of coronavirus isn’t a valid reason. If they try to fine you, as a reason for not voting you can say for religious reasons and won’t be fined. If true of course 😇

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to go to Waitrose tomorrow. I might get the sick but at least it will be a better class of illness. 😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get fined you’ll need to telll them on the day you were too ill to travel to the booth. But I don’t think you’d be fined anyway.

Aparrently an 80% turn out, that’s only slightly down on normal council figures 

Edited by Mike Del

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However, according to the World Health Organisation, global data to date suggest 80 per cent of infections are mild or produce no symptoms, 15 per cent are severe and require oxygen, and 5 per cent are critical infections requiring ventilation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dazaau said:

Every contact is a risk. That's my theory

That's the crux of it.  Even though the checkout girls are wearing gloves, who knows who else touched your grocery boxes, so we wash our hands after unpacking.

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

Those pictures from Sydney suggest the message isn't getting through there though.

Yup.  It's so much easier to distance yourself out here.

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

I have to go to Waitrose tomorrow. I might get the sick but at least it will be a better class of illness. 😎

Better than Tescos?

7 hours ago, Mike Del said:

If you get fined you’ll need to telll them on the day you were too ill to travel to the booth. But I don’t you’d be fined anyway.

Aparrently an 80% turn out, that’s only slightly down on normal council figures 

Can't believe they ran council elections.  If there was ever a tier of govt that could wait, this is it.  Our local council just lurches from one bunch of farked up old men & women with personal axes to grind, to another.  The staff do their best to keep these muppets out of the daily workings & make something happen, but then the councilors try to sack them for not involving them.....despite the councilors all having signed off on numerous community/operational/delivery/blah blah blah plans.  I watched a 3 hour recording of our recent council meeting.  My God, what an incompetent rabble.  They did not even understand the basic meeting rules.  One clown even voted against a motion he had brought to the table 😆

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

However, according to the World Health Organisation, global data to date suggest 80 per cent of infections are mild or produce no symptoms, 15 per cent are severe and require oxygen, and 5 per cent are critical infections requiring ventilation.

How’s your family member?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

How’s your family member?

Responding to the treatment. While on the ventilator the anti malarial drugs are controlling the fever and the 

respiratory functions are stable.

 

 

Edited by BarryBevan
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our local council advised that the (NSW) Minister for Local Govt announced the Sept 2020 local government elections will be postponed for 12 months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

Our local council advised that the (NSW) Minister for Local Govt announced the Sept 2020 local government elections will be postponed for 12 months.

How does the Bello Council go Alex?  Got to be better than up the hill here in Armidale?

Seriously, the in-fighting up here has held the city back for decades.  Currently votes of no confidence in train against the mayor and CEO, so progress stalls again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In our street we have one family with their kids having friends coming & going while another family are staying inside completely. One of those families has relatives in Italy & are worried after hearing first hand what its like over there. Thankfully the rest of the families in the street are also taking it seriously 

Re beach closures, if one is shut then everyone heads off to their next closest. Maybe suburb lock-down would work better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

How does the Bello Council go Alex?  Got to be better than up the hill here in Armidale?

Seriously, the in-fighting up here has held the city back for decades.  Currently votes of no confidence in train against the mayor and CEO, so progress stalls again.

I don't think we have such division here but I've never attended a council session so have no direct exposure. It's certainly not a topic which dominates local news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Surfer said:

In our street we have one family with their kids having friends coming & going while another family are staying inside completely. One of those families has relatives in Italy & are worried after hearing first hand what its like over there. Thankfully the rest of the families in the street are also taking it seriously 

Re beach closures, if one is shut then everyone heads off to their next closest. Maybe suburb lock-down would work better?

I've heard suburb lockdowns are a possibility in SEQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

How does the Bello Council go Alex?  Got to be better than up the hill here in Armidale?

Seriously, the in-fighting up here has held the city back for decades.  Currently votes of no confidence in train against the mayor and CEO, so progress stalls again.

Our council has the previous mayor currently up on corruption charges, and one of those standing for mayor under investigation. Typical of most of the local councils in SEQ.

I think the only one that hasn't had major corruption charges, or had the whole council stood down is Brisbane City, and they are the only one that is run along the lines of Labor vs LNP. I suppose the parties either keep them in line, or manage to hide things well enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our council down here go sacked as the infighting became bullying - all while one councillor got arrested for leaking confidential documents, another got arrested while in a drug haze with 40kg of hash  drying in the shed when police came to knock on his door to tell him his cows were out on the road, (plus large amounts of other drugs around).  Administrators appointed - been the best outcome, very few good people want to put their hands up at elections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a drink before dinner with my neighbour at the fence last night, both kept a good couple of metres within our own boundaries.  Neighbour is a truck driver, delivering items to farms so is still very much busy through this whole period.  Was talking about how my own team was going to struggle when we all go back to work, he said he is going to struggle as he is quickly getting used to the roads being so much easier.  One other driver he knew did a Friday morning run from Pakenham to Werribee, loaded and back to Lang Lang and took him just over 3 hours - usually would have been close to a full day in normal time because of traffic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

One other driver he knew did a Friday morning run from Pakenham to Werribee, loaded and back to Lang Lang and took him just over 3 hours - usually would have been close to a full day in normal time because of traffic

I'm driving in to the city tomorrow to give blood, and looking forward to the quiet roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

However, according to the World Health Organisation, global data to date suggest 80 per cent of infections are mild or produce no symptoms, 15 per cent are severe and require oxygen, and 5 per cent are critical infections requiring ventilation.

Well, that’s sorta positive for 95% of people. 

3 hours ago, Merv said:

I've heard suburb lockdowns are a possibility in SEQ

I guarantee this will happen on Sydney northern and eastern beaches this coming week. I have a mate who works for nsw government in maq st and this is the alternative to a total lockdown.  
pit will happen on the northern beaches first he said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...