Jump to content
Peter

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Another announcement coming very soon from Sco-Mo following current National Cabinet meeting.

I'm tipping lock-downs, at least for some states.

And maybe also with the Tokyo postponed to 2021, panic buying to become an Olympic sport.

Went to Coles this morning as we were out of many things after not going for weeks and I was surprised. Hardly anyone there and only thing missing was loo paper. 
 

heaps of pasta sauce and nappies.  

13 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Is there anything wrong with that? In Victoria apparently only 13 cases are community transmission, half are people coming back from overseas and the other half people that have gotten it directly from those coming home from overseas. That's pretty impressive. 

I in no way know the right answer of when to lock things down but there is a very real cost to that. People should focus on doing what they are told, and less on what's wrong with the people making impossible decisions. 

Yeah its interesting Its been All flight related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

NSW health site only recommends travellers, those who come into close contact with travellers, and those who are in clusters of people with flu-like symptoms be tested. Otherwise self-isolate.

This is from the Qld website:

They still restrict the testing, and that will still skew the data to show a high percentage of travellers.

Or symptoms.  I would think that wouldn’t skew any data.  
someone in a community group will have symptoms and then if positive the contact points are traced and all are tested.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Katz said:

I know someone who likely has it, doesn't fit the criteria and hasn't been tested. This person and their partner in the same boat.

Well they should demand it if they honestly believe they have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peter said:

Well they should demand it if they honestly believe they have it. 

How do you know they might have it then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's because if you aren't in that group they won't test you.

So how did the 100 or so positives that they can’t link to any positives or family or travelers get discovered if they won’t test that group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Prince said:

How do you know they might have it then ?

Test them. That’s my point.  If this couple Katz said believe they have it, demand to be tested and find out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Well they should demand it if they honestly believe they have it. 

They are led to believe it based on that they were prescribed the anti-malaria drug on the second trip to the doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think now community transmission is clearly occurring, testing should be much more widespread if resources allow it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

So how did the 100 or so positives that they can’t link to any positives or family or travelers get discovered if they won’t test that group

By getting close to the point of hospitalisation. 

80% of the traveller cases are minor. Most of the non-traveller are not minor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Katz said:

They are led to believe it based on that they were prescribed the anti-malaria drug on the second trip to the doctor.

No offence but he sounds like an irresponsible doctor if he even thinks they have it yet didn’t tell them to get tested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No more massages for the time being. Bought a theragun a few weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Prince said:

No offence but he sounds like an irresponsible doctor if he even thinks they have it yet didn’t tell them to get tested. 

Doesn't offend me. I'm not the doctor. 

But I agree, although the diagnosis won't affect the management of the illness, I think they should definitely be tested if for no other reason than to allow anyone they have been in contact with to be alerted and to encourage them to take it seriously and comply with their isolation requirements. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

By getting close to the point of hospitalisation. 

80% of the traveller cases are minor. Most of the non-traveller are not minor.

No, that’s not correct.  
The case at Noosa is where one person got tested due to symptoms shown and a positive test resulted. 
They then traced where that person had been and tested the lot.  
 

i am sure that there might be some that show no symptoms but if they hand it off to several others that will become evident as someone will show symptoms and be positive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Merv said:

No more massages for the time being. Bought a theragun a few weeks ago.

Can that be used for the other type of massages ? That have also closed ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Katz said:

Doesn't offend me. I'm not the doctor. 

But I agree, although the diagnosis won't affect the management of the illness, I think they should definitely be tested if for no other reason than to allow anyone they have been in contact with to be alerted and to encourage them to take it seriously and comply with their isolation requirements. 

I am not even sure the malaria drug is approved for Covid but I might be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Other than quarantining any international arrivals, there was no new announcements. More a national pat on the back for how well we're doing with observing shut-downs and social distancing.

 

25 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Is there anything wrong with that? In Victoria apparently only 13 cases are community transmission, half are people coming back from overseas and the other half people that have gotten it directly from those coming home from overseas. That's pretty impressive. 

I in no way know the right answer of when to lock things down but there is a very real cost to that. People should focus on doing what they are told, and less on what's wrong with the people making impossible decisions. 

I'm not sure if you're specifically replying to what i said, or if you're just quoting me out of convenience.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Nor did I suggest there was anything wrong with ScoMo or anyone else who contributed to the decision.

My post was deliberately apolitical, in keeping with the general tenor of this thread, and gave an objective, succinct summary. I passed no judgement on either ScoMo or what he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul Every said:

 

I'm not sure if you're specifically replying to what i said, or if you're just quoting me out of convenience.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Nor did I suggest there was anything wrong with ScoMo or anyone else who contributed to the decision.

My post was deliberately apolitical, in keeping with the general tenor of this thread, and gave an objective, succinct summary. I passed no judgement on either ScoMo or what he said.

Apologies, I misread the vibe. Probably through reading the replies before yours and from foolishly reading the comments section of The Age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Prince said:

Can that be used for the other type of massages ? That have also closed ?

I guess you could use it as a sex toy if you want that type of rock show.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Apologies, I misread the vibe. Probably through reading the replies before yours and from foolishly reading the comments section of The Age. 

No probs. :thumbup1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Prince said:

No, that’s not correct.  
The case at Noosa is where one person got tested due to symptoms shown and a positive test resulted. 
They then traced where that person had been and tested the lot.  
 

i am sure that there might be some that show no symptoms but if they hand it off to several others that will become evident as someone will show symptoms and be positive. 

 It is understood the infected guest had been skiing in Aspen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

 It is understood the infected guest had been skiing in Aspen.

yes, you are right. I forgot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looking at the data I have seen though, https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing.  it seems we are doing a pretty high number of tests, almost on par with Italy, but a lot less cases, so something is working in our favour and I am sure we are focusing on travellers for a reason.    the weekend will be critical to see if people can really limit going out. 

I hope they do as it may well be there own jobs that will disappear if there is a two month lockdown. Some may well be immune to the virus but they will not be immune to losing their jobs.  They have the false sense of security to think they may be in an industry that is not affected, but all businesses will cut jobs, and that is a guarantee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Prince said:

looking at the data I have seen though, https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing.  it seems we are doing a pretty high number of tests, almost on par with Italy, but a lot less cases, so something is working in our favour and I am sure we are focusing on travellers for a reason.    the weekend will be critical to see if people can really limit going out. 

I hope they do as it may well be there own jobs that will disappear if there is a two month lockdown. Some may well be immune to the virus but they will not be immune to losing their jobs.  They have the false sense of security to think they may be in an industry that is not affected, but all businesses will cut jobs, and that is a guarantee. 

Agreed.

My daughter just called to let me know she's dodged the bullet for now, but that could change any day. I think even without a mandated lockdown, a lot of retail businesses will close, as they won't have the foot-traffic, and therefore sales, to warrant staying open. Let's hope they are sound enough, and the Gov support is good enough, that they get to open again the other side of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed.

My daughter just called to let me know she's dodged the bullet for now, but that could change any day. I think even without a mandated lockdown, a lot of retail businesses will close, as they won't have the foot-traffic, and therefore sales, to warrant staying open. Let's hope they are sound enough, and the Gov support is good enough, that they get to open again the other side of this.

Yes.  the shopping centres we own? We have offered all of them where sales are down free rent for a month and will review on a month by month basis.   A few have shut their doors anyway as it is pretty dead. It will be a big hit for us and some retailers will not come back. 
I have put some people on annual leave but want more to go on leave.  They are pretty cranky about it but I don’t think they get the alternative. 
Every industry should do their bit and the banks should really step up more and cancel interest on credit cards 

 


 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, roxii said:

On a positive note, workplaces still operating should find productivity increasing as the obligatory Friday afternoon and Monday morning chat about "what are you up to/ did you do on the weekend" chats will become redundant. 

We're having Friday drinks by Zoom, cheers 🍻 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Prince said:

Yes.  the shopping centres we own? We have offered all of them where sales are down free rent for a month and will review on a month by month basis.   A few have shut their doors anyway as it is pretty dead. It will be a big hit for us and some retailers will not come back. 
I have put some people on annual leave but want more to go on leave.  They are pretty cranky about it but I don’t think they get the alternative. 
Every industry should do their bit and the banks should really step up more and cancel interest on credit cards 

I was wondering about rent. My daughter is the only one in her store now, and whilst she has had just enough turnover that profit will cover her wage, I was thinking about the rent. The owners were saying they'd stay open till told to close, so I suppose if rent is waived, or even reduced, they can live with that. I still don't like her there on the front-line though.

As far as leave goes, we've been told company wide that anybody with leave that doesn't need to be at work after Easter is to take a week off. Some complained, but in the current climate I think they've been more than obliging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His "predictions" are just whacky translations that could be applied to hundreds of events. 

The prediction of JFK's assassination..

"The great man will be struck down in the day by a thunderbolt, An evil deed foretold by the bearer of a petition. According to the prediction, another falls at night time. Conflict at Reims, London and a pestilence in Tuscany."

 

The bombing of Hiroshiha and Nagasaki...

"Near the gates and within two cities There will be scourges the like of which was never seen, Famine within plague, people put out by steel, Crying to the great immortal God for relief."

 

Random, generic shite...

 

 

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zed said:

Lol at Nostradamus, hos "predictions" are just whacky translations that could be applied to hundreds of events:

 

 

Says the sceptic, it's just as true as any other opinion

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's because if you aren't in that group they won't test you.

That's my biggest concern. If only testing those returned from OS or been in direct contact with someone who has, what is the real number of cases? Will be a hell of a lot more than being reported!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldave said:

Why so serious?

all good :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dazaau said:

Is there anything wrong with that? In Victoria apparently only 13 cases are community transmission, half are people coming back from overseas and the other half people that have gotten it directly from those coming home from overseas. That's pretty impressive. . 

 

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's because if you aren't in that group they won't test you.

 

B916F896-3A12-40D5-9870-1E6A1A8277D3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stikman finally found some time to install the shelves in the bathrooms which I asked him to do when we moved in here almost 2 years ago. 

E275A1D3-E748-4DA6-8460-2F44384A64AE.jpeg

B3B879D4-6461-443D-99E9-DC9B22EA13FD.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zed said:

Sorry what I meant by a step ahead is that we have an advantage as we haven't been fully hit by the CV and can see what's working and what's not working in other countries.

Ah gotcha, thanks.  I think the main problem is that thing is changing so fast, nobody knows if they've got it right.

Sweden took an opposite approach to the rest of Europe, stating they couldn't place their citizens under strict movement laws, as it doesn't align with their outdoor culture. Now they've done a complete 180 and gone into lockdown.

The night before last, the UK death rate halved compared to the previous day, so we thought it was working but yesterday it doubled again.

Police here are getting new powers to crack down on the piss taking snowflakes that seem to think they are so special the rules don't apply to them and are now using drones to track dog walkers and selfie takers.  Roadblocks are being set up to ask people about their journey.

It's getting heavy handed here but mainly because the Gov and the population just didn't take it seriously enough at the start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we basing all the strategies on the number of infections ?   We know it’s very infectious but can such an infectious disease be stopped anyway.?  just a thought 
I notice Italy infections have risen again even though they have been in lockdown for some time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Prince said:

Are we basing all the strategies on the number of infections ?   We know it’s very infectious but can such an infectious disease be stopped anyway.?  just a thought 
I notice Italy infections have risen again even though they have been in lockdown for some time. 

I don't think any country is under the illusion they can stop it. It seems to be all about containment and flattening curves to ease pressure on the health system, build some kind of immunity and create a vaccine I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I don't think any country is under the illusion they can stop it. It seems to be all about containment and flattening curves to ease pressure on the health system, build some kind of immunity and create a vaccine I guess.

If any country has a chance to eradicate it, it will be NZ.

They closed their borders and went to lock-down early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

If any country has a chance to eradicate it, it will be NZ.

They closed their borders and went to lock-down early.

But what happens next? Do they then have to stayed locked down with closed borders until a vaccination arrives? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Katz said:

But what happens next? Do they then have to stayed locked down with closed borders until a vaccination arrives? 

In realty probably yes.

wasnt there a time when you used to have to have “your shots” to travel to different places. That time could be returning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roxii said:
2 minutes ago, Katz said:

But what happens next? Do they then have to stayed locked down with closed borders until a vaccination arrives? 

In realty probably yes.

What will that do to their economy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully NZ locked down for next 2-3 Bledisloe’s. (PS- let’s not tell them when it’s all over!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter has now been requested to take two weeks paid leave after getting back from holidays three weeks ago (30 YO). She has been off work since Wednesday night. She told me today (40 hours on holidays) that she is going crazy with boredom. She has watched heaps of TV, Netflix, talked with friends on phone/FB/text.I suggested a few things - cooking, learn a language, walks.

So........ apart from exercise, what is everyone doing to relieve the boredom - both yourself and your family (age noting would be good) ?

Ta

FM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Katz said:

But what happens next? Do they then have to stayed locked down with closed borders until a vaccination arrives? 

No and yes.

If they successfully eradicated it, (ie all hospital cases either recovered or dead, no identifiable no new cases/hospital admissions and an extended lock-down to cover the virus incubation period), they could then remove lock-down. Schools, local businesses, etc could then re-open for life to resume.

Borders would still have to remain closed until a vaccine is developed and widely available, to prevent the virus being reintroduced to NZ.

It's all neat in theory. I've heard some interviews with virologists/epidemiologists who have considered it possible. One considered it a moonshot, another as good as 50/50. At least they did at time of the interviews. Who knows? Either may have changed their opinion of the odds in last couple days, given how quickly things change.

It's an exciting idea...........especially if you're a New Zealander.........and presuming sheep can't act as a vector for the virus.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One wonders whether they are offering the staff currently in Antarctica an extended 12 month stint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Flanman said:

My daughter has now been requested to take two weeks paid leave after getting back from holidays three weeks ago (30 YO). She has been off work since Wednesday night. She told me today (40 hours on holidays) that she is going crazy with boredom. She has watched heaps of TV, Netflix, talked with friends on phone/FB/text.I suggested a few things - cooking, learn a language, walks.

So........ apart from exercise, what is everyone doing to relieve the boredom - both yourself and your family (age noting would be good) ?

Ta

FM 

We have a 6yr old at home. Our routine is:

Up at 7.30, then get dressed and have breakfast.

9.00, we start home schooling (the schedule is released the night before). usually starts with a sing/dance YT clip warm up.This goes until approx 3pm, with two small breaks and a lunch break.

Mrs FP and I share the home schooling, she's better at some things and I'm better at others.

Whilst all this is going, I'm being busy with loads of DIY, some turbo sessions, looking for job (haha!) and 'stuff.  The tv isn't on (but we rarely watch anyway).

After lessons, we have a bit of a tidy up and then go out for our allocated exercise time. I've been running with Little One and this week we've done a 6.5km trail run and two 6km road runs. She's getting good. Also we spend a lot of time in the garden. She finds the flowers fascinating.

There was a story about a 19yr old in the UK that killed herself because of the thought of being in lockdown. I can't imagine that kind of stress.  Our internet is down right now, luckily I haven't handed my work phone back so am using work data as a hotspot but if I couldn't do that, we'd still be fine.

A different story would be unfolding if we had teenagers though, no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...