Peter

Coronavirus

33 minutes ago, zed said:

I can't see it being a few weeks. It seems likely, at this stage, schools will close after Easter holidays. We've been told at work (uni) most likely a return between June (best case scenario) and August. That said the situation evolves everyday. So who knows. I think May would be the earliest for any kind of return to normality.

This is what I asked you before Zed and didnt get an answer. You keep saying Oz is a step ahead of the UK but the UK has shut schools, no shops are open unless deemed essential ( food, petrol, hardware, some others). Restaurants are shut and food outlets are takeaway only. Movement here has been severely restricted, everyone is confined to home except for daily exercise and food shopping ( key workers excepted).

We are behind on border control but I'm not seeing it otherwise?

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, FatPom said:

This is what I asked you before Zed and didnt get an answer. You keep say Oz is a step ahead of the UK but the UK has shut schools, no shops are open unless deemed essential ( food, petrol, hardware, some others). Restaurabts are shut and food outlets are takeaway only. Movement here has been severely restricted, everyone is confined to home except for daily exercise and food shopping ( key workers excepted).

yep not seeing how oz is ahead of even here the USA. Our schools shut 2 weeks ago, only essential shops. Nothing else

6 hours ago, zed said:

I can't see it being a few weeks. It seems likely, at this stage, schools will close after Easter holidays. We've been told at work (uni) most likely a return between June (best case scenario) and August. That said the situation evolves everyday. So who knows. I think May would be the earliest for any kind of return to normality.

Those timelines seem reasonable to me.  I am hoping everything returns quickly but before end of financial would be a surprise to me.

6 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

yep not seeing how oz is ahead of even here the USA. Our schools shut 2 weeks ago, only essential shops. Nothing else

Sort of agree, but we are not as far along the timeline of cases either, , but from my calcs Australia has about half the infection rate of the US currently.

Personally I would prefer to see a shut down ASAP though

9 hours ago, The Customer said:

I asked you about pork. Pork is scientifically proven to carry more worms and parasites than other meats and yet it's widely consumed across Australia and other caucasian cultures. The parasites that humans consume through pork can cause blindness, brain damage, death etc. Perhaps the Muslims had it right all along. Seems that COVID19 has given people an excuse to judge other races. I really don't see how eating beef, chicken, pork, fish is any different to eating any other kind of animal.

My Masters was actually about the Australian meat inspection system for pigs.  You are right TC, they do carry a lot of things potentially harmful to humans, but not in developed countries where the production and inspection systems virtually eliminate those risks (though may introduce other problems such as anti-biotic resistance).  The problem in China (and other less developed countries) is that those safeguards are often not in place, especially not for the illegal consumption of wild animals.  Added to that you have cultural practices that aid the spread of any zoonosis.

8 hours ago, more said:

Yep me also. Unfortunately The Customer was just trying to bait me and turn the discussion into an argument about race/culture. 

I personally have no real problem with jappenese eating whale or dolphin for example. But batts are clearly a very high risk food and should be eliminated. To try and infer pork is on the same level... Lol who has time for that stupid argument. 

No PC virtue signalling from me on this one sorry folks.  Call me a @#$%* if you like.  My family won't go here either.

To me this one is about race/culture - the 3rd world cultural practices of the Chinese combined with their huge numbers in close proximity & 1st world capacity to travel the globe and spread a highly infectious virus.

I'm always been alarmed at the number of people who want to visit China?  I know many who have either traveled there for business or holiday and nearly all seem to come back with something nasty, many requiring a stint in hospital.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

My Masters was actually about the Australian meat inspection system for pigs.  You are right TC, they do carry a lot of things potentially harmful to humans, but not in developed countries where the production and inspection systems virtually eliminate those risks (though may introduce other problems such as anti-biotic resistance).  The problem in China (and other less developed countries) is that those safeguards are often not in place, especially not for the illegal consumption of wild animals.  Added to that you have cultural practices that aid the spread of any zoonosis.

No PC virtue signalling from me on this one sorry folks.  Call me a @#$%* if you like.  My family won't go here either.

To me this one is about race/culture - the 3rd world cultural practices of the Chinese combined with their huge numbers in close proximity & 1st world capacity to travel the globe and spread a highly infectious virus.

I'm always been alarmed at the number of people who want to visit China?  I know many who have either traveled there for business or holiday and nearly all seem to come back with something nasty, many requiring a stint in hospital.

I lived in China for a few years and I was vegetarian at that time. I got more bouts of gastro than I've ever had in my life and put it down to lower standards of hygiene in the kitchens. If you walk behind the restaurants you'll see cooks preparing food out in the laneways literally crouched down on the ground with rats and cockroaches scurrying about. Worst food poisoning I had was from mushroom soup bought from a Delifrance cafe. Fascinating country. Terrible government. 

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1

Heard a Dr on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus & staying at home we should focus on inner peace. To achieve this we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives. I looked through my house to find things I’d started and hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a boittle of Baileys, a bodul of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!! 👍

• Haha 6

I think just blaming China is a bit simplistic. 

For years its been the west plundering China for cheap products and labour. Did China export the virus, or did it travel on Westerners  going back and forth negotiation the next big deal to get widgets .0001c cheaper per unit.

Maybe if we were prepared to pay a bit more for our bikes etc a lot more of China would find its way out of poverty and not need to eat bats. 

Remember the west did a pretty fair job of exporting viruses "back in the day" 

• Like 5

Yesterday's R dropped for the second consecutive day, which is a glimmer of positive news. I still think we might see a bit of a pick up as a result of events last week but hard to say as it is a lag indicator.

R = ratio of total cases on a given day / ratio of total cases the day before.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, roxii said:

I think just blaming China is a bit simplistic. 

For years its been the west plundering China for cheap products and labour. Did China export the virus, or did it travel on Westerners  going back and forth negotiation the next big deal to get widgets .0001c cheaper per unit.

Maybe if we were prepared to pay a bit more for our bikes etc a lot more of China would find its way out of poverty and not need to eat bats. 

Remember the west did a pretty fair job of exporting viruses "back in the day" 

Yeah, fair call.  Western economics has a role to play.  On the other hand, our coal has elevated them greatly, but caused other problems.

Back in the day, the spread was much slower because no planes, trains & automobiles.....which ironically are often made in China (or at least the bits for them - a genuine VW Jetta door lock costs $300, but I got one out of China which works just as well for $43!).

Please don't wait, look at every country that has waited. I'm living in the USA and the numbers keep rising

• Like 1

For a laugh....

My partner put a world map on the wall and say throw a dart and wherever it lands, we're going there for a 2 week holiday when all this is over. Looks like we're spending 2 weeks behind the fridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On a positive note, workplaces still operating should find productivity increasing as the obligatory Friday afternoon and Monday morning chat about "what are you up to/ did you do on the weekend" chats will become redundant. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

On a positive note, workplaces still operating should find productivity increasing as the obligatory Friday afternoon and Monday morning chat about "what are you up to/ did you do on the weekend" chats will become redundant. 

Plus there is no sport results to chat about 

Our family member just went to the ICU, hard to be positive. On Sat last week she had a fever

• Sad 5

3 minutes ago, Prince said:

Plus there is no sport results to chat about 

That didn't stop Monday's West Australian newspaper from having about 8 pages of AFL results, stats, comments and analysis for last weekend's matches, despite the obsolescence with the competition being called off prior to some of Sunday's matches starting.

I'm sure the paper and other media outlets over here will continue to crap on about AFL until the commencement of the 2021 season.

And no, I don't read the West Australian. It is, however, an ideally absorbent publication for lining the floor of snake enclosures. 🐍 :shit:

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Heard a Dr on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus & staying at home we should focus on inner peace. 

There speaks a person who isn't home schooling. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, monkie said:

Hi all,

Not posted in a while but read every now and then. This thread is interesting, a lot of reverting to type and highly predictable. Hey ho.

I'm part of the initial team of volunteer managers that are going into Nightingale (our first emergency hospital being built in a massive conference venue in London) to manage the logistics of bringing in up to 4000 patients at a time and, well, shipping out. I've also had to shift a company of 80 people to working remotely and delivering training remotely, we've done it, we're OK, but leading has been knackering.

I can't be bothered to challenge the pseudoscience early in this thread, it will not need challenging shortly. The one small silver lining is that perhaps, maybe, people won't disregard science because they believe themselves to be "rational" and somehow better qualified than the scientific community. 

As of Monday I'm working a 4on / 4off rota, except my off will be keeping a business running and keeping many people employed and my on is managing shifts in one of the biggest hospitals in the country. Meanwhile my other company, a $1m marquee business is going bust and I'm trying not to lose my shirt.

Take. This. Seriously.

I'm sure I won't need to share the inevitably haunting pictures from the field hospital over the next few weeks, someone else will put them on social media but please, please. Stay home.*

I sincerely hope all of you stay well.

Monkie

* Will try and share some light hearted selfie moments if I can :)

Take care Monkie, Ive missed having you around

44 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

And no, I don't read the West Australian. It is, however, an ideally absorbent publication for lining the floor of snake enclosures. 🐍 :shit:

Do the snakes read it?

• Haha 1

We are not doing too bad. 

Check the lack of traffic of the bridge and the opera house forecourt is empty. 

Can't say Ive ever see in like that, even a rainy day in the middle of winter sees these places busy. 

5e7d40dcb92db4000117a4b2 (1).jpg

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

We are not doing too bad. 

Check the lack of traffic of the bridge and the opera house forecourt is empty. 

Can't say Ive ever see in like that, even a rainy day in the middle of winter sees these places busy. 

5e7d40dcb92db4000117a4b2 (1).jpg

Reminds me of the day I drove across the bridge when the America’s cup was on...

23 minutes ago, gregb said:

Do the snakes read it?

I don't think so, but on occasions when they accurately lay a turd on the photo of a pollie, I do wonder if maybe they understand more than we know.

Some days I find myself apologising to them, "I'm really sorry, dudes. Giving you the West Australian yet again."

Fortunately, the Animal Ethics Committee hasn't sanctioned us just yet.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

This is what I asked you before Zed and didnt get an answer. You keep saying Oz is a step ahead of the UK but the UK has shut schools, no shops are open unless deemed essential ( food, petrol, hardware, some others). Restaurants are shut and food outlets are takeaway only. Movement here has been severely restricted, everyone is confined to home except for daily exercise and food shopping ( key workers excepted).

Sorry what I meant by a step ahead is that we have an advantage as we haven't been fully hit by the CV and can see what's working and what's not working in other countries.

3 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I think the government are possibly going to wait and see what happens in NZ in lockdown. 

Given it takes 14 days to develop that will be a week too long.  

I am not confident of scomo doing the right thing.  But I suppose we have no other option. 

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

Given it takes 14 days to develop that will be a week too long.  

I am not confident of scomo doing the right thing.  But I suppose we have no other option. 

If you are faced with a choice of sending us into a certain depression he and the federal cabinet are definitely doing the right thing. 

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I know, I thought the same thing. :)

Yes. Apparently there's some underachievers out there.

14 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Yes. Apparently there's some underachievers out there.

At this point I am so glad I still have a job, though we are having a week of forced leave at Easter.

Do you think this will all be over by then? 🙏

• Like 1

Another announcement coming very soon from Sco-Mo following current National Cabinet meeting.

I'm tipping lock-downs, at least for some states.

And maybe also with the Tokyo postponed to 2021, panic buying to become an Olympic sport.

Edited by Paul Every

I wonder what will be the trigger for a full lockdown?

while mid April would suit me perfectly, if they are going to do it, sooner rather than later would be the smart move

6 minutes ago, Mr Tinman said:

I wonder what will be the trigger for a full lockdown?

while mid April would suit me perfectly, if they are going to do it, sooner rather than later would be the smart move

Put me down for Vic effective COB Monday 29th. Check the stock market, starting to sell off-they know whats coming...

2 minutes ago, more said:

Put me down for Vic effective COB Monday 29th. Check the stock market, starting to sell off-they know whats coming...

Possibly got the date right, but the Chinese market and the Nikkei are doing the same, and started dropping at the same time. Surely a shutdown here doesn't affect them.

ScoMo speaking now, seems like steady as she goes, no further lockdowns. 

10 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Possibly got the date right, but the Chinese market and the Nikkei are doing the same, and started dropping at the same time. Surely a shutdown here doesn't affect them.

Yeah maybe they just don't want to hold over the weekend..

27 minutes ago, roxii said:

ScoMo speaking now, seems like steady as she goes, no further lockdowns. 

Other than quarantining any international arrivals, there was no new announcements. More a national pat on the back for how well we're doing with observing shut-downs and social distancing.

9 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Other than quarantining any international arrivals, there was no new announcements. More a national pat on the back for how well we're doing with observing shut-downs and social distancing.

Is there anything wrong with that? In Victoria apparently only 13 cases are community transmission, half are people coming back from overseas and the other half people that have gotten it directly from those coming home from overseas. That's pretty impressive. 

I in no way know the right answer of when to lock things down but there is a very real cost to that. People should focus on doing what they are told, and less on what's wrong with the people making impossible decisions. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dazaau said:

In Victoria apparently only 13 cases are community transmission, half are people coming back from overseas and the other half people that have gotten it directly from those coming home from overseas. That's pretty impressive. 

That's because if you aren't in that group they won't test you.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

yeah, but that is where most of the infections have come from. He has now introduced very strict measures for travellers. haven't seen many countries lock them immediately into hotels with the army monitoring them.  he has also said he is discussing further stimulus/benefits package towards certain industries. He did say they were discussing further industries to shut. I am not sure, but I think he is meaning most retailers. 

They indicated if the 'community infections" continue to rise, they would go to the next level.

All smart moves IMO.   

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's because if you aren't in that group they won't test you.

not true. this changed a week ago. 

I know someone who likely has it, doesn't fit the criteria and hasn't been tested. This person and their partner in the same boat.

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

not true. this changed a week ago. 

NSW health site only recommends travellers, those who come into close contact with travellers, and those who are in clusters of people with flu-like symptoms be tested. Otherwise self-isolate.

This is from the Qld website:

Testing criteria (updated 26 March)

A person is eligible for testing if they have a fever (or history of fever) or acute respiratory symptoms, and, in the last 14 days:

• they were a close contact or a household contact of a confirmed case
  • they had been overseas, including on a cruise.

Testing is also possible for people who have a fever (or history of fever) or acute respiratory symptoms, AND:

• work in vulnerable settings such as healthcare, aged or residential care, military, correction facilities, detention centres and boarding schools.
  • live in an area where an outbreak has occurred
  • live in a First Nations community.

If you are unwell and haven’t been overseas or in contact with a confirmed case, you may not be tested for novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Your doctor will make this assessment based on your symptoms.

If you meet the criteria for testing, you should contact a doctor immediately. Before your appointment, please call ahead and advise of your symptoms and recent travel they can prepare for your visit.

They still restrict the testing, and that will still skew the data to show a high percentage of travellers.