18 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

WOW!  They are actually publishing the addresses of people with covid?!?

They are not residential addresses (unless you are looking at something Im not) they are the addresses of the venues where the infection has been traced to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

For those in NSW - more data is being released to the public, this just looks like the case areas, but it would be damn easier than them updating the site daily (might need to look at the date formatting though, the sorting is all over the shop)

https://data.nsw.gov.au/data/dataset/nsw-covid-19-case-locations/resource/5200e552-0afb-4bde-b20f-f8dd4feff3d7

Far too many addresses in the same suburb or neighbouring suburbs as my family members. Definitely worrying for me on the other side of the country. :(

32 minutes ago, roxii said:

They are not residential addresses (unless you are looking at something Im not) they are the addresses of the venues where the infection has been traced to. 

The Newcastle addresses just show a terrible pub crawl. LOL

55 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

WOW!  They are actually publishing the addresses of people with covid?!?

Looks like the address of the location of the premises where they caught it maybe?  It's the address of the business in the Location column by the looks

"This dataset provides COVID-19 case locations by date of known outbreak, location, address and action"

Edited by Turts
1 hour ago, MissJess said:

(might need to look at the date formatting though, the sorting is all over the shop)

If there is anything Excel is good at, it's taking something that looks even vaguely like a date, and formatting it as a date 🙂

1 minute ago, Turts said:

Looks like the address of the location of the premises where they caught it maybe?  It's the address of the business in the Location column by the looks

And this is why I should have opened all the columns up properly. Didn't see the business names! lol

Not necessarily caught it, but where a confirmed positive case visited I would expect.

Were just saying on the news that one guy was fined last night for being outside his 5km zone.  Said it was for work but not actually the case.  He been fined 9 times before!!!!!

Maybe fines need to be based on your income, because if he's Alan Jones, $45000 of fines might not bother him.

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Cant see Fannys there :lol: 

Fanny's has shut down now! It's like an NDIS office or something! 

Well, last time I was there at least.

ETA: cancel that, it's a nightclub with a different name now.

Edited by Katz
1 minute ago, Katz said:

Fanny's has shut down now! It's like an NDIS office or something! 

Well, last time I was there at least.

How appropriate. I was blind last time I was there :lol: 

• Haha 4

For those in states where you have freedom to go out and normal work, don't take it for granted.

Quick summary of NZ situation,

• until Tuesday we were all smug and life was normal, 102 days
  • Wed started working from home, lots off restrictions in Auckland, but where i am fairly relaxed
  • Thurs more cases, more masks being worn, still an Auckland problem, rest of country laughing at Jafa's (just another f@#king Aucklander)
  • Friday, confirmed cases outside off Auckland, confirmed community transmission from gatherings (church and work place), we have had a confirmed case at work (I'm not close contact), today went for a run along beach about lunchtime significantly more masks being worn, including by 20-40 year olds which hadn't seam much off before.
  • There will be a announcement at 5.30pm today updating status.

On a personal note

• supposed to be going to Wanaka snowboarding tomorrow, that will most likely be cancelled, 
  • work will shut if there is any spread, and salary reductions will happen, potentially lay-offs
  • had a lady cleaning our house windows today, who is a retrenched pilot who would normally be flying big planes, now cleaning windows.
  • Sad 1

Bugger. 

This is my concern for WA. Especially as complacency is really setting in. I would have liked to see us learn from what is happening elsewhere, but collectively we're not too bright and seem to think we are impervious.

I read something earlier though suggesting our border is getting a little tighter and more difficult to slip through. But that's all relative of course.

Edited by Katz
Added some words to make it read more betterra.
  • Like 1

I woudl say, from an arms length and not knowing much about the NZ situation that their problem may be that by doing mass, severe shutdowns all they are learning is how to shut down. And similarly in some Aus states all they are learning is how to shut borders.

It may seem Im a bit biased but I think NSW is pretty much proving to be the gold standard for living with very little restrictions and containing the virus to manageable levels.  *touch wood* through pretty rigorous contact tracing, smaller hot spot temporary shutdowns, plenty of hotspot testing, now if they would only make mask use more prevelant I reckon we would be in great shape here. 

• Like 3

And maybe we start restricting the number of people coming back into the country. That seems to be where these outbreaks start. I know that sounds harsh, but hell, so is what the guys in Melbourne are going through, not that I'd know.

Those who can show they've been trying since the whole thing started and their flights continually get cancelled, yes. Those who can show they had to be overseas, maybe yes. But those who decided they'd stay where-ever they were and come home at their leisure, they are most likely the ones who are going to cause trouble in the quarantine hotels anyway, so no.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

For those in states where you have freedom to go out and normal work, don't take it for granted.

Quick summary of NZ situation,

• until Tuesday we were all smug and life was normal, 102 days
  • Wed started working from home, lots off restrictions in Auckland, but where i am fairly relaxed
  • Thurs more cases, more masks being worn, still an Auckland problem, rest of country laughing at Jafa's (just another f@#king Aucklander)
  • Friday, confirmed cases outside off Auckland, confirmed community transmission from gatherings (church and work place), we have had a confirmed case at work (I'm not close contact), today went for a run along beach about lunchtime significantly more masks being worn, including by 20-40 year olds which hadn't seam much off before.
  • There will be a announcement at 5.30pm today updating status.

On a personal note

• supposed to be going to Wanaka snowboarding tomorrow, that will most likely be cancelled, 
  • work will shut if there is any spread, and salary reductions will happen, potentially lay-offs
  • had a lady cleaning our house windows today, who is a retrenched pilot who would normally be flying big planes, now cleaning windows.

Great advice.  Same happened in Victoria. We were 2 weeks from crit races happening.  Yet in those 2 weeks we were back in stage 3. Now stage 4. 

enjoy freedoms. It ends fast lik we have seen in nz 

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

so now its oaky to travel OS and play cricket. We really don't wan't to beat this virus

And swim the English Channel.  But I technically can’t go further than 5km. 

what about Lindsey Fox’s son.  Got clearance to go from Melbourne to the Gold Coast and didn’t have to isolate for 14 days when getting there. 

more Kerry stokes.  Flys in and out of WA and avoids it. 

seems there is a rule for the rich and sportspeople and then one for everyone else. 

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

And swim the English Channel.  But I technically can’t go further than 5km. 

what about Lindsey Fox’s son.  Got clearance to go from Melbourne to the Gold Coast and didn’t have to isolate for 14 days when getting there. 

more Kerry stokes.  Flys in and out of WA and avoids it. 

seems there is a rule for the rich and sportspeople and then one for everyone else. 

This is getting demented, if a case emerged from this, it will be interesting.

Or the risk is acceptable.

Problem with the news is they are all itching for the worst case every time: Man in 20's dies

One man in 20's dies, guess what the 4th leading cause of death in 25 -44 is heart disease, but the media did not report every time man dies of heart attack while in 20's.

Its the same for the complications we find the one case at a point in time which has severe complications, guess what viral puemonia scars lungs and does all the same things to otherwise health people that covid does.

We know 80 % of people will be fine, the policy setttings need to be on protetcing the 20 % and accepting that people in the 80 % will also be stuffed, its not exact.

If we do that we will get out of this better

Oh how you’ve changed since the start of this. 

you mention the worst case news reporting. 

wait for the first health care worker to die.  Sure it will be a worker from a nursing home that’s 60kg overweight and health issues, but the media will flog it like a dead horse. 

what’s really amazing about all of this is how few healthy people have died. Have any? 

the guy in Queensland weeks ago. That got zero help and had health issues before getting Covid. 
the 30yr old guy this week that was a terminal cancer patient. Had weeks to live. Got Covid and the parents turned off his ventilator. 

but zero healthy people have died. Sure they have got sick. Some very sick. But none have died.  

meanwhile reports of people not coping and killing themselves are happening but news not covering those.  

surely they are Covid related deaths. Due to Covid, people have killed themselves. 

The only healthy person I specifically know of is the 40yr old Broadway actor who spent something like 89 days in hospital.  But, there will be done healthy people around the world who will die.

As far as what we're seeing with sportspeople and the rich, like did any of us really assume exceptions wouldn't be made for these people?  I'm not saying it's right, but we knew it was gonna happen.

You have to remember though any one of us whose immunity system is compromised the virus can be deadly.  For example if you were unlucky and you already have any illness, be it the common flu or glandular fever or anything for that matter your immunity system is already busy.  If you then caught the virus you are deep shit.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Prince said:

You have to remember though any one of us whose immunity system is compromised the virus can be deadly.  For example if you were unlucky and you already have any illness, be it the common flu or glandular fever or anything for that matter your immunity system is already busy.  If you then caught the virus you are deep shit.  

Agree but the fact remains. Healthy people aren’t dying in Australia.  
there are exceptions to every rule but we were sold the story to firstly

flatten the curve 

everyone that got it would possibly die 

neither are true. 

• Like 1

Yes there will be people who will die from the approach of let the 80 % go. The data on this has been absymally slow at being updated but here is NY from May:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Sample 15K

Over 75 years old 50 % of that group 70 % had significant comorbidity. They did not know if the other 30 % did or did not, so good chance there were even more comorbdity.

Deaths primarily in 64 and upwards. Now even getting into the younger groups:

4 % of the deaths.

80% of them had comorbidity.

So when the news says 20 year old dies sure, please tell the whole story, and even in the NY data they could not say that the people did not have a comorbidity juts none was on the record at the time.

Overwhelmingly in all the data, people who die mostly are quite old and unhealthy. Yes some young people will die and get other conditions, they will be in the minority, but it will happen.

Looking at NZ we need to rethink eradication and go:

protect the vulnerable;

Maintain social distance  and the other controls;

Manage the infections as they come up, knowing most people will be fine, but some people will die who are quite young, mostly people who will die young anyway, though there will always be young people dying unfairly.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Agree but the fact remains. Healthy people aren’t dying in Australia.  
there are exceptions to every rule but we were sold the story to firstly

flatten the curve 

everyone that got it would possibly die 

neither are true. 

and the fact is healthy people die, not many but they do. The stories around long term covid survivors and the condition sound a lot like what severe viral pnuemonia sufferers get (I qualify).

Yes some healthy people may/will die. It might be a good time for many people who think they are healthy but are not to rethink that and classify themself as vulnerable. So most of Logan and Upper Mt Gravvat who are very fat, unhealthy and ugly.

And when/if the next virus like this comes, will people who have long term lung damage due to Covid-19 be considered as having a comorbidity, so we don't have to worry about counting them as real deaths? A lot of these people with a comorbidity may have simply had something that made them much more likely to die this time around, but without covid may have led a perfectly normal life for the next 20 or 30 years.

There's a LOT more to comorbidity than saying "they were going to die anyway".

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

America's super rich are throwing parties where guests are offered 15-minute rapid COVID-19 tests and using their private jets to avoid having to stay in hotspots amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. 

While the US continues to battle the highest number of infections globally and 1,000 Americans are still dying each day, some say Silicon Valley's elite have been carrying on with their lives and socializing as if 'everything was normal'. 

Sources told Vanity Fair that the luxurious lifestyles of the country's billionaires is no different to before the pandemic broke out when the majority of Americans were forced into quarantine. 

Coronavirus is a poor person's virus,' a doctor told the outlet. 

'All these rich people can't stop themselves,' another person who has ties to tech CEOs and venture capitalists said.  

'They just can't stop themselves from throwing parties and going on their jets and socializing as if everything was normal.' 

Sources say Uber co-founder Travis Kalanick is among those throwing parties at his home Los Angeles

Sources say Uber co-founder Travis Kalanick is among those throwing parties at his home Los Angeles. Kalanick's parties, however, are much smaller in comparison to before the pandemic and are now held outside

Kalanick's parties, however, are much smaller in comparison to before the pandemic and are now held outside. 

Another unnamed billionaire has also been throwing lavish parties where guests have to have a 15-minute rapid fire COVID-19 test before they are allowed inside, according to the sources. 

Some investors in LA and Silicon Valley are also renting mansions in Palm Springs that cost about $50,000 a month just so they can host parties amid the pandemic. 

While some billionaires are throwing parties, others have opted to rent or use their own private jets so they can go on vacation. 

Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg was spotted last month riding a $12,000 electric surfboard during a vacation with his family in Hawaii.

The sources say billionaires have also been using their jets to go from COVID-19 safe zones as the outbreak spreads across the country. 

One investor was in Miami at the beginning of the pandemic before moving on to Los Angeles and now New York. 

He moved on from each city as coronavirus infections started to grow in each place. 

Some are even reportedly paying up to $2.6 million so they can secure international citizenship in foreign countries and escape the United States altogether. 

The demand for private jets has skyrocketed amid the pandemic with inquiries up 195 percent in June compared to last year and 60 percent in April, according to rental company NetJets.  

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/what-are-the-long-term-health-risks-post-covid-19#:~:text=Long-term effects of COVID,have long-term pulmonary damage.

We have to manage this, it looks a lot like the damage we get from diseases where effects and treatments are similar.

There is no get out of this without tragedy. Victoria and NZ have shown us we cannot play a zero risk stratgey and win

We also know the most common comorbidity:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765184

Unealthy, over wight people. Sadly in the western world and australia our normalizing of fat people as curvy or a big lad and saying look how beautiful so and so is as a size 18, guess what they are morbidly obese and have a comorbidity.

So there are people out there who are vulnerable who need to accept that they are not healthy

Has anyone noticed a drop off in colds/flu this season with social distancing? Even the kids sniffles are non existent in our house. 

Does anyone have flu data for this season?

just for clarity - not wanting to compare COVID to FLu - just wanting to know on impact of social distancing on cases? 

I'm not really worried about dying if I catch covid, but I am concerned about potential long term health issues caused by it.  We just don't know enough about them and I don't want to be a guinea pig/case study.

• Like 7
28 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Has anyone noticed a drop off in colds/flu this season with social distancing? Even the kids sniffles are non existent in our house. 

Nope.  Still getting our regular ration of sick daycare kids and their parents who are unable to be contacted 

At least 1 a week at the moment. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
29 minutes ago, Bosco said:

just for clarity - not wanting to compare COVID to FLu - just wanting to know on impact of social distancing on cases? 

While last year was a worse than average year, this year will probably have the least flu deaths in Aus for many many years.

image.png.22cf319b79192e681e140eedc21adc27.png

Or you could believe Alan Jones who came up with this beauty during the week.

“More people are dying from the flu with a vaccine than are dying from coronavirus without a vaccine.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Talking with a GP apparently any test for CV19 also has an influenza check done on it as well.  He has yet to see a positive influenza test come back which, according to him, is highly unusual compared with previous years.  Reflects that data that HB posted.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

We also know the most common comorbidity:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765184

Unealthy, over wight people. Sadly in the western world and australia our normalizing of fat people as curvy or a big lad and saying look how beautiful so and so is as a size 18, guess what they are morbidly obese and have a comorbidity.

So there are people out there who are vulnerable who need to accept that they are not healthy

Did you see Boris promoting a 5lb (so 2.5kg) weight reduction target in the UK? Maybe a baby step to addressing the issue but at least a start if it gets legs.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, truck said:

Did you see Boris promoting a 5lb (so 2.5kg) weight reduction target in the UK? Maybe a baby step to addressing the issue but at least a start if it gets legs.

That's good, you would alos think that with people seeing the most common comorbidity might take action. So far no one has come out and said fat people should lose weight.

Actually lock down and a treadmill and a smart trainer with meals provided that are healthy would work. But as over 50% of aussies are fat we probably can't lock them away while they lose weight.

1 hour ago, -H- said:

I'm not really worried about dying if I catch covid, but I am concerned about potential long term health issues caused by it.  We just don't know enough about them and I don't want to be a guinea pig/case study.

Same. 

im not scared of dying at all from anything. Just would prefer it be fast. 

30 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

That's good, you would alos think that with people seeing the most common comorbidity might take action. So far no one has come out and said fat people should lose weight.

Actually lock down and a treadmill and a smart trainer with meals provided that are healthy would work. But as over 50% of aussies are fat we probably can't lock them away while they lose weight.

They were saying if you smoke, you should stop it ASAP.  

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

There is no get out of this without tragedy. Victoria and NZ have shown us we cannot play a zero risk stratgey and win

Its why Its interesting  They are still playing sport with crowds in Sydney and Queensland. 

play without and reduce the risk. 

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

Its why Its interesting  They are still playing sport with crowds in Sydney and Queensland. 

play without and reduce the risk. 

True, you have to ask why have the crowd when can watch it on tv and have zero risk of transmission. 
Surely it can’t be for atmosphere. 

32 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

True, you have to ask why have the crowd when can watch it on tv and have zero risk of transmission. 
Surely it can’t be for atmosphere. 

As there been any transmission outdoors at the football. Seems to be extremely low risk to me.

the crowd is super spaced out. 

41 minutes ago, chris said:

As there been any transmission outdoors at the football. Seems to be extremely low risk to me.

the crowd is super spaced out. 

Not as far as I know. 
I think if you discard the Ruby Princes and other travellers, then nursing homes, pubs, clubs and restaurants and then possibly shops there have been very few, if any, let’s call them “fresh air” transmissions.

1 minute ago, chris said:

Just saw on abc the European airports offering test on arrivals to try and get the economy and tourism kick started

Yeah but as numbers in Spain etc have increased the Uk has snap imposed a 2 week quarantine on returned travellers. 

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah but as numbers in Spain etc have increased the Uk has snap imposed a 2 week quarantine on returned travellers. 

At least their government allows them to travel. 

WA won’t be allowed to do that for 18 months. 

'On par with North Korea': Three out of four requests to leave Australia refused

The federal government is blocking three out of four applications for Australians to leave the country while the borders are closed, amid concerns they could spread coronavirus when they return home.

MPs from across Sydney, including Liberal Dave Sharma in Wentworth in the eastern suburbs, independent Zali Steggall in Warringah, and Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese and fellow Labor frontbencher Tanya Plibersek in the inner west, have been fielding numerous requests for assistance from residents stuck here because of the travel ban.

Mr Sharma said federal government MPs were starting to raise concerns internally about the travel ban, which he described as a "pretty extraordinary restriction on people's liberty".

"This is an extreme measure for extreme times but it cannot be something we contemplate keeping in place for the long term," Mr Sharma said. "There's no other country of which I'm aware that is imposing an exit permit system, like we've got in Australia."

Since March 25, most Australian citizens and permanent residents have required government permission to travel or move overseas. Temporary visa holders and Australians in exempt categories, such as people who normally live overseas, do not need permission to leave.

The Australian Border Force told the Sun-Herald it had granted permission for 22,640 citizens and permanent residents to depart Australia from March 25 to July 31, out of 91,950 applications in total. Applications can cover more than one person and one person can make multiple applications.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison warned recently that the resumption of international travel was "not foreseeable" and unlikely to occur this year.

Mr Sharma said this was too long to keep the current restrictions in place and Australia should manage the risk "not by preventing Australians from leaving but controlling their return to Australia and foreign arrivals into Australia".

Mr Morrison said in March the ban was required because people were still trying to go on overseas holidays, putting the community at risk when they returned. At the time, in-bound travellers could self-isolate at home, with the hotel quarantine system announced a few days later.

A spokesperson for the federal Department of Health said the travel ban was reviewed regularly and it remained necessary to control the spread of COVID-19, with 23 per cent of Australia's total cases having acquired the virus overseas.

"We cannot risk adding an additional burden to the health system through a broad easing of international travel restrictions and potentially importing additional cases," the spokesperson said.

States and territory governments are no longer picking up the tab for hotel quarantine, with the cost incurred by returning travellers. However, the spokesperson said the need for testing, supervision and treatment if travellers become unwell stretched the capacity of health systems.

The government was also concerned opening up outbound travel would add to the problem of Australians stuck overseas, sometimes without health care or diplomatic support. As The Sun-Herald has previously reported, thousands of Australians are struggling to return to the country because of the cap on inbound flights.

Advertisement
"Any further easing of outbound restrictions may lead to more Australians being caught offshore for longer than planned, increasing their exposure to, and risk of, contracting the disease," the spokesperson said.

Several Facebook groups with thousands of members each have sprung up to help people navigate the situation. Among those affected are 4.4 million dual citizens.

Zali Steggall said she found it difficult to understand the justification for the continuation of the outward-bound restrictions.

"It puts us on par with North Korea, in terms of, are we now a prison state, that unless you can justify yourself to the department, you cannot leave the country?" Ms Steggall said. "Even in times of war, we don't have that kind of restriction so it does seem a little extreme."

Ms Steggall's electorate office has been "inundated" by constituents needing to travel for important life events such as the birth of a child, the death of a parent, or to take up a job or scholarship. "This is not about going on holiday," she said.

Advertisement

Add to shortlist

The health department spokesperson said the exemption process run by the Department of Home Affairs ensured the travel restriction was "no more restrictive or intrusive than required".

Australians can apply for permission to travel on the grounds that the travel is part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid; essential for the conduct of critical industries and business; for urgent medical treatment not available in Australia; on urgent and unavoidable personal business; on compassionate or humanitarian grounds; or if the travel is in the national interest.

Some people received an exemption to travel with the official reason cited on the document as "relocating overseas more than 3 months". However, The Sun-Herald knows of at least one case where a woman was denied permission to spend four months in Sweden, where she has citizenship, close family and a summer home.

The ABF spokesperson did not confirm whether the length of the trip was a consideration but said it was refusing requests where the applicants were already in an exempt category, needed to provide further information to substantiate their claims, or did not meet the criteria.

Advertisement

RELATED ARTICLE

Astrid Magenau and her son Hendrix Magenau have been granted an exemption from the coronavirus restrictions to fly to Germany to attend her fathers funeral.

Adam Byrnes, the principal lawyer at Visa & Citizenship Lawyers in Sydney, said there had been increased demand in the past few weeks, with people turning to professionals after being knocked back multiple times.

Donna Burton, 57, from Balmoral Beach was forced to forfeit her $2000 airfare to London to see her only daughter be married in July.

She applied for an exemption to travel, was asked to provide more information, did not hear back and was turned away at the airport.

"I can see both sides … but it was absolutely devastating not being able to go to something so significant," Ms Burton said.

Advertisement

ABF recently introduced an online application system that is reportedly handling applications more quickly