Peter

Coronavirus

16 minutes ago, Turts said:

Where does that 400M go then? If not "my" channels of :

tv

radio

papers

social media?

or is it that because you havent seen an ad, they dont exist? 

Geezus sometimes conversations on this site.. I'd be better off knocking my head against a wall I swear..

Yes, normally the $400M they spend goes through those channels telling us how good they are. 

And yet I sat down and watched 2 hours of FTA TV today and didn't see a single add on Covid 19.

Hence my original point that they need to do more/spend more on advising the public.. Hardly blitz advertising when you are being outdone by Snoop dog.. 

Edited by more

59 minutes ago, roxii said:

Judging by the demographics of the brain dead dimwits doing the wrong thing I reckon target advertising during the bachelor and footy telecasts and you will likely cover 99% 

55 minutes ago, more said:

You are actually spot on correct. 

56 minutes ago, more said:

I've been watching free to air for 2 hours and haven't seen a single add covid related. ? 

So what have you been watching for the last couple of hours?

Catching up on The Bachelor?

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

(a) Ignorance is bliss. (Mind you,if she only knows what is going on in the world through your filters.......well 🤔😣) 😆

(b) They are all safe as houses.

She just says why clutter your head with bad news.  Or news as she calls it. 

44 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Hey the AFL is the best thing on TV at the moment.  

Far better than watching the Broncos fall apart in the last 20 minutes .... again. 

Too be fair to the Broncos, often they don't leave it to the last 20.

2 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

So what have you been watching for the last couple of hours?

Catching up on The Bachelor?

Wow I can see you put a lot of effort into that insult... You better lie down and have a rest 

8 minutes ago, more said:

Wow I can see you put a lot of effort into that insult... You better lie down and have a rest 

Sorry, More.

It was only intended as a bit of levity about you being glued to the Bachelor for a few hours. If I actually put any effort into the quip, I wouldn't have come across as an insult. I never intended to imply you were a "brain dead dimwit".

I honestly had to re-read what I posted to work out what you were taking exception to.

My apologies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Too be fair to the Broncos, often they don't leave it to the last 20.

No.  Bedt game of the year by thrm. Boyd at the back seems to have made a difference. Now if Milford could get injured they might win a game.

here is something to lift everyones spirits for those who haven't seen this yet, the new Nike Commercial:

Edited by Prince
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

She just says why clutter your head with bad news.  Or news as she calls it. 

Nothing personal against your better half, but this is a good example of what Andrews is up against.

I would love to hear something constructive from the usual suspects on how to counter this?

Tyno made a good point I acknowledged earlier. Personally I don't use Twitter, but recognise that it's an extremely influencial source of disseminating information for some.

What good would Govt placed adds on TV be, when some people don't even watch TV.

My point is that you can only do the best you can do. I believe Andrews is trying his best. Is he perfect? No. 

At least we don't live in the US, where every decision is political.

"More" I'd love to see your reaction to living in Florida or Texas.

28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

"More" I'd love to see your reaction to living in Florida or Texas.

Dave sometimes I just wonder if it's the internet and that I'm not expressing myself clearly enough, and sometimes i wonder if people are just trolls (not saying u are a troll) 

I don't know anything about Florida or Texas, and seeing I don't live there I don't think I'd be allowed to have an opinion anyway 🤣

It's pretty straight forward to me. This is all about getting the public to do the right thing. To do this they have to be informed and coerced. To be informed the government should be doing absolutely everything possible to get the messages across. Think about how we have been able to change behaviour with smoking and drink driving. You can't just say 'but people know drink driving/smoking is bad', it needs to be rammed into their head non stop. 

Look at it this way for just a little example. During an election period it's absolute blanket advertising. Every second add on TV, radio and the paper is about who to vote for. There are billboards, there are signs being driven around behind cars and scooters, your letter box gets stuffed with political crap. It's impossible to escape. 

If anyone tries to tell me the same effort as this has been put into informing the public on Covid related matters then you are a liar. 

Edited by more
  • Like 1

Constructive thoughts. 

my suburb I currently have a 0.3 in 1000 chance of getting the virus. 

where as those in the north its much Much higher.  

But the real issue is people going to work sick.  My area is of a class / economic area where I doubt any work in factories etc...

pretty much everyone here is working from home. 

so the issue is actually in my opinion workplaces allowing or forcing staff to come to work when slightly sick.  

dan needs to slam those business. 

however the issue is they are in labor heartland and therefore he won’t go nuts. 

send out the public transport security guards and send the message.  Send the army too. 

59 minutes ago, Peter said:

dan needs to slam those business. 

Rather than Dan, why not a National effort. This is now in Sydney and Brisbane. Why isn't there a coordinated campaign nationally to get the message out there, and a national policy on relief payment for those that test positive. Dan doing something isn't going to help someone in Logan or Casula.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

4 hours ago, Turts said:

or is it that because you havent seen an ad, they dont exist? 

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it....

For the Brisbane/Logan/Ipswich trannies

A cop I run with just messaged me and warned me to stay on the north side of town and be careful. She said “this shit is about to get real”

• Sad 2

On 30/07/2020 at 9:08 AM, zed said:

Yeah there's no way the FDA would approve anything in that short space of time. 

The FDA have said they will fast track it.  But thanks for your expert knowledge without doing 1 second of research 

But vaccine developers are attempting to compress that process for SARS-CoV-2 by running clinical trial phases simultaneously, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has promised to fast-track the approval process.

Dozens of COVID-19 vaccines are in development. Here are the ones to follow.

Here are the COVID-19 vaccine prospects that have made it to phase three trials and beyond.

More than 150 coronavirus vaccines are in development across the world—and hopes are high to bring one to market in record time to ease the global crisis. Several efforts are underway to help make that possible, including the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed initiative, which has pledged $10 billion and aims to develop and deliver 300 million doses of a safe, effective coronavirus vaccine by January 2021. The World Health Organization is also coordinating global efforts to develop a vaccine, with an eye toward delivering two billion doses by the end of 2021.

The candidates, like all vaccines, essentially aim to instruct the immune system to mount a defense, which is sometimes stronger than what would be provided through natural infection and comes with fewer health consequences.

To do so, some vaccines use the whole coronavirus, but in a killed or weakened state. Others use only part of the virus—whether a protein or a fragment. Some transfer the coronavirus proteins into a different virus that is unlikely to cause disease or even incapable of it. Finally, some vaccines under development rely on deploying pieces of the coronavirus’s genetic material, so our cells can temporarily make the coronavirus proteins needed to stimulate our immune systems. (Here’s what vaccines are and how they work.)

It can typically take 10 to 15 years to bring a vaccine to market; the fastest-ever—the vaccine for mumps—required four years in the 1960s. Vaccines go through a multi-stage clinical trial process, which starts by checking their safety and whether they trigger an immune response in a small group of healthy humans. The second phase widens the testing pool to include groups of people who may have the disease or be more likely to catch it, to gauge the vaccine’s effectiveness. The third phase expands the pool up to the thousands to make sure the vaccine is safe and effective among a wider array of people, given that immune response can vary by age, ethnicity, or by underlying health conditions. It then goes to regulatory agencies for approval—which can be a lengthy process itself.

Even after a vaccine is approved, it faces potential roadblocks when it comes to manufacturing and distribution, from scaling up the production to meet demands to deciding which populations should get it first—and at what cost. Many vaccines also stay in what’s called phase four, a perpetual stage of regular study. (Here's how we'll know when a COVID-19 vaccine is ready.) But vaccine developers are attempting to compress that process for SARS-CoV-2 by running clinical trial phases simultaneously, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has promised to fast-track the approval process.

Though it’s too soon to say which candidates will ultimately be successful, here’s a look at the vaccine prospects that have made it to phase three and beyond—including a quick primer on how they work and where they stand.

Moderna Therapeutics

Name: mRNA-1273

Who: A Massachusetts-based biotech company, in collaboration with the National Institutes of Health.

What: This vaccine candidate relies on injecting snippets of a virus’s genetic material, in this case mRNA, into human cells. They create viral proteins that mimic the coronavirus, training the immune system to recognize its presence. This technology has never been licensed for any disease. If successful, it would be the first mRNA vaccine approved for human use. (Here’s how mRNA vaccines work.)

Status: On July 27, Moderna announced it had started the third phase of its clinical trials, even as it continues to monitor phase two results. Preliminary findings from phase one have shown that healthy subjects produced coronavirus antibodies and a reaction from T-cells, another arm of the human immune response. Phase three will test the vaccine in 30,000 U.S. participants. Moderna says it is on track to deliver at least 500 million doses per year beginning in 2021, thanks in part to the deal it has struck with Swiss manufacturer Lonza that will allow it to manufacture up to one billion doses a year.

Pfizer

Name: BNT162b2

Who: One of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, based in New York, in collaboration with German biotech company BioNTech.

What: Pfizer and BioNTech are also developing an mRNA vaccine based on the German company’s earlier efforts to use the technology in experimental cancer vaccines. Pfizer has signed a nearly $2 billion contract with the U.S. government to provide 100 million doses by December 2020—an agreement that goes into effect when and if the drug is approved and delivered.

Status: On July 27, Pfizer and BioNTech launched a trial that combines phase two and three by enrolling a diverse population in areas with significant SARS-CoV-2 transmission. It will examine the vaccine’s effect in 30,000 people from 39 U.S. states and from Brazil, Argentina, and Germany. The project is aiming to seek regulatory review as early as October 2020 to meet the December deadline—and hopes to supply 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021. Preliminary results of phase one/two data show the vaccine produces antibodies and T-cell responses specific to the SARS-CoV-2 protein.

University of Oxford

Name: ChAdOx1 nCoV-19

Who: The U.K. university, in collaboration with the biopharmaceutical company AstraZeneca.

What: Oxford’s candidate is what’s known as a viral vector vaccine, essentially a “Trojan horse” presented to the immune system. Oxford’s research team has transferred the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein—which helps the coronavirus invade cells—into a weakened version of an adenovirus, which typically causes the common cold. When this adenovirus is injected into humans, the hope is that the spike protein will trigger an immune response. AstraZeneca and Oxford plan to produce a billion doses of vaccine that they’ve agreed to sell at cost.

Status: Preliminary results from this candidate’s first two clinical trial phases revealed that the vaccine had triggered a strong immune response—including increased antibodies and responses from T-cells—with only minor side effects such as fatigue and headache. It has now moved into phase three of clinical trials, aiming to recruit up to 50,000 volunteers in Brazil, the United Kingdom, the United States, and South Africa.

Sinovac

Name: CoronaVac

Who: A Chinese biopharmaceutical company, in collaboration with Brazilian research center Butantan.

What: CoronaVac is an inactivated vaccine, meaning it uses a non-infectious version of the coronavirus. While inactivated pathogens can no longer produce disease, they can still provoke an immune response, such as with the annual influenza vaccine.

Status: On July 3, Brazil’s regulatory agency granted this vaccine candidate approval to move ahead to phase three, as it continues to monitor the results of the phase two clinical trials. Sinovac says the first phases have so far shown that the vaccine does produce an immune response with no severe adverse effects. Preliminary results of this candidate’s earlier testing in macaque monkeys, published in Science, revealed that the vaccine produced antibodies that neutralized 10 strains of SARS-CoV-2. Phase three will recruit nearly 9,000 healthcare professionals in Brazil.

Sinopharm

Name: None

Who: China’s state-run pharmaceutical company, in collaboration with the Wuhan Institute of Biological Products.

What: Sinopharm is also using an inactivated SARS-CoV-2 vaccine that it hopes will reach the public by the end of 2020. Sinopharm has reported that early trials of its vaccine candidate triggered a strong neutralizing antibody response in participants, with no serious adverse effects.

Status: In mid-July, Sinopharm launched its phase three trial among 15,000 volunteers—aged 18 to 60, with no serious underlying conditions—in the United Arab Emirates. The company selected the UAE, as it has a diverse population with approximately 200 different nationalities, making it an ideal testing ground.

Murdoch Children’s Research Institute

Name: Bacillus Calmette-Guerin BRACE trial

Who: The largest child health research institute in Australia, in collaboration with the University of Melbourne.

What: For nearly a hundred years, the Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine has been used to prevent tuberculosis by exposing patients to a small dose of live bacteria. Evidence has emerged over the years that this vaccine may boost the immune system and help the body fight off other diseases as well. Researchers are investigating whether these benefits may also extend to SARS-CoV-2, and this trial has reached phase three in Australia. Though as of April 12, the World Health Organization says there is no evidence that the BCG vaccine protects people against infection with the coronavirus.

Status: In April, researchers from the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute began a series of randomized controlled trials that will test whether BCG might work on the coronavirus as well. They aim to recruit 10,000 healthcare workers in the study.

CanSino Biologics

Name: Ad5-nCoV

Who: A Chinese biopharmaceutical company.

What: CanSino has also developed a viral vector vaccine, using a weakened version of the adenovirus as a vehicle for introducing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein to the body. Preliminary results from phase two trials, published in The Lancet, have shown that the vaccine produces “significant immune responses in the majority of recipients after a single immunisation.” There were no serious adverse reactions documented.

Status: Though the company is still technically in phase two of its trial, on June 25, CanSino became the first company to receive limited approval to use its vaccine in people. The Chinese government has approved the vaccine for military use only, for a period of one year.

Edited by Peter

With these new stage 4 lockdowns about be announced in Vic what are the odds Dans union mates in the construction industry will be exempt 

Edited by more

24 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

For the Brisbane/Logan/Ipswich trannies

A cop I run with just messaged me and warned me to stay on the north side of town and be careful. She said “this shit is about to get real”

How so? Southside declared a hotspot? Flow on race war? 

18 minutes ago, more said:

With these new stage 4 lockdowns about be announced in Vic what are the odds Dans union mates in the construction industry will be exempt 

What i have seen construction closed as wiill be bunnings 

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Rather than Dan, why not a National effort. This is now in Sydney and Brisbane. Why isn't there a coordinated campaign nationally to get the message out there, and a national policy on relief payment for those that test positive. Dan doing something isn't going to help someone in Logan or Casula.

This has been the single biggest disappointment to me coming out of all this.  We truly are a loose collection of States doing whatever they want rather than a country which is composed of States.  ScoMo is only there to provide funding and international commentary (which is kind of irrelevant at the moment).  Living here in QLD nobody gives a toss about Vic apart from keeping them out - can you imagine what Anna would have done if those two women were from NSW or Vic instead of QLD residents? Just how can you have Fed health experts having one message and then each State deciding to do something contrary to that because 'their' experts provided different advice? The scary thing is the xenophobia that's settling in - before we know it WA will have become its own country.  Talking with a front-line health worker in Vic, they were of the same view that they just can't understand why this isn't being run at a Federal level because, let's be honest, what we have is no different to the outcomes of biological warfare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, truck said:

This has been the single biggest disappointment to me coming out of all this.  We truly are a loose collection of States doing whatever they want rather than a country which is composed of States.  ScoMo is only there to provide funding and international commentary (which is kind of irrelevant at the moment).  Living here in QLD nobody gives a toss about Vic apart from keeping them out - can you imagine what Anna would have done if those two women were from NSW or Vic instead of QLD residents? Just how can you have Fed health experts having one message and then each State deciding to do something contrary to that because 'their' experts provided different advice? The scary thing is the xenophobia that's settling in - before we know it WA will have become its own country.  Talking with a front-line health worker in Vic, they were of the same view that they just can't understand why this isn't being run at a Federal level because, let's be honest, what we have is no different to the outcomes of biological warfare.

There are emergency powers available to the Federal Gov that they are yet to invoke. That would take over the management of our Virus response from the states. I’m wondering at what level of outbreak Scomo would require to take over.

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Want to have a wadger? I would be extremely surprised (and impressed...) if Dan did the right thing, even if it meant upsetting his union mates... Though I bet he doesn't. 

"According to The Herald Sun, only supermarkets, pharmacies and service stations will be allowed to keep trading in Melbourne, with a possible exception carved out for hardware stores, which could stay open for tradies only." 

Edited by more

Another 650+ cases and I bet this dipshit premier will keep construction going.. 

"More than 650 cases of COVID-19 will be announced today in Victoria, along with a record number of deaths, according to media reports."

7 minutes ago, more said:

Want to have a wadger? I would be extremely surprised (and impressed...) if Dan did the right thing, even if it meant upsetting his union mates... Though I bet he doesn't. 

"According to The Herald Sun, only supermarkets, pharmacies and service stations will be allowed to keep trading in Melbourne, with a possible exception carved out for hardware stores, which could stay open for tradies only." 

What is a wadger? 

They are major part of the problem 

8 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

What is a wadger? 

They are major part of the problem 

Wager, yep as Peter has mentioned many times drive past a construction site and see the social distancing... 

2 hours ago, truck said:

I'm not exactly sure what it is you're calling for.

To a large degree, the state governments' decisions, responses and health advice are based on the circumstances in that state. Public hospitals and many other aspects of health care are run by the states.

Of course, there are many equally critical areas that are responsibilities of the Commonwealth and there is a level of national coordination that is required with the Covid response, but what's prudent and applicable in Victoria isn't necessarily the required approach in WA.

You'll have to explain how Palaszczuk's response would have been any different if those women weren't from Qld. I'm honestly clueless on that one.

3 hours ago, more said:

My take.  Its why He has been avoiding a real stage 4 shutdown. I have a theory there is no clause for the cfmeu workers to be paid under a shutdown like this.  Sure they will get $750 a week for a 6 week period but this would be a massive pay cut for construction union workers. Hence why Dan hasn’t stopped them before. 

3 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I think bunning will remain open for tradies.  But maybe under a click and collect system. 

for example, a sewage pipe breaks. You call a plumber.  He needs an emergency part.  Bunnings will remain open for things like that.

But not for mrs mangel to go and buy a bag of pottie mix or me to get some nails. 

13 minutes ago, Turts said:

Shits about to get serious in Victoria for restrictions 

Yep......tough decisions. 

So I was just in the Sydney CBD, very quiet in there. (I wore a mask) 

walked past a hotel that I assume was a COVID quarantine hotel. Bus was out the front so I assume a new batch of arrivals. 
Hotel staff, 4 of them, had the footpath blocked with barricades 10m each side of the hotel so you needed to cross the road to continue in that direction. 
The bus And entry to the hotel was then guarded by 8 police and another 8 military personnel (that I saw).

I wonder what types of workplaces all the "workplace transmissions" are coming from? Is it offices, shopping centres, construction sites, or nursing homes & hospitals?

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wonder what types of workplaces all the "workplace transmissions" are coming from? Is it offices, shopping centres, construction sites, or nursing homes & hospitals?

As far as I know there was only one case in the construction sector in NSW from the major builders.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

I'm not exactly sure what it is you're calling for.

Hospitals & health sector, yes it's state based, but funding to keep people at home could as easily be funded nationally as it is state based, and at this point, Victoria has implemented something, but none of the other states, and these would then be in catch-up should the need arise there. Something as basic as this should be a national decision. We don't have each state implementing different amounts of dole for people out of work.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, roxii said:

As far as I know there was only one case in the construction sector in NSW from the major builders.

Must have been a lot in Victoria from people exercising more than 5kms from their home as we are no longer allowed to do that, or for more than 1 hour...

6 hours ago, truck said:

It is strange, in my ignorance I assumed all decisions re the virus would be made at a national level, not state. However now it seems as though having some major decisions made at state level is probably more important than having a one size fits all. Also when you have people with hidden agenda's that have no allegiance to particular states, there is no motivation on their part to protect that state e.g Clive Palmer vs WA. Victoria is a mess and he is taking legal action to force us to open our borders.

8 minutes ago, zed said:

It is strange, in my ignorance I assumed all decisions re the virus would be made at a national level, not state. However now it seems as though having some major decisions made at state level is probably more important than having a one size fits all. Also when you have people with hidden agenda's that have no allegiance to particular states, there is no motivation on their part to protect that state e.g Clive Palmer vs WA. Victoria is a mess and he is taking legal action to force us to open our borders.

Now it’s probably too late but a few weeks back when we were all at virtually zero local cases and just having to manage inbound travellers a national approach could have seen a much different outcome. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Heaps of construction sites have been shutdown here.  They have been sending testers to sites and testing everyone.  
they shut them for 3 days and the open them again.  Meanwhile other places are shut for weeks waiting on dhs approval to reopen. 
pays to have contacts 

• Like 1

Not one mention about the app today in relation to our stage 4 restrictions. 

Not even if only more people were running it, we wouldn’t have had to do this. 

just silence. 

Regards communications I'm starting to lean to More's side. Woolworths will encourage people to wear masks. Are they worried about something?

But they won't start until Monday.

Coronavirus says sure I will just wait a day or two as no hosts will be available until then, I'll just take the weekend off.

In the lead up to Monday not a single Woolies worker wearing a mask and no one in woolies social distancing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The cases I know of include one CBD law firm and a few meat processing plants.  I can understand that meat workers can't work from home, but the law firm is copping some well-deserved flak.

And from the “can 2020 get any weirder” file

Nick Kyrgios emerges as the most sensible voice of men’s tennis. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

Heaps of construction sites have been shutdown here.  They have been sending testers to sites and testing everyone.  
they shut them for 3 days and the open them again.  Meanwhile other places are shut for weeks waiting on dhs approval to reopen. 
pays to have contacts 

I think the new Crown tower had a case but it was the Thursday before the long weekend so they shut for the weekend.

Mind you it could have been like the old bomb scares that’s used to happen around lunch time on the day before a long weekend :lol:  

20 minutes ago, roxii said:

And from the “can 2020 get any weirder” file

Nick Kyrgios emerges as the most sensible voice of men’s tennis. 

Not only sensible, but self aware.

When he criticised Djokovik and others for participating in that tournament in Europe a couple of month ago where several players contracted covid, Kyrgios was well aware of the irony of him being the one to call them out.

• Like 1

So I've spent a few minutes working out a 5km radius from my house, and tbh nothing much will change much for me.  I can still swim in the bay,  run along the foreshore and do Two Bays hill reps on the bike.  The only change will be that I will do my other rides on Zwift instead of along the coast, and my long run is limited to an hour (I wasn't doing much over an hour anyway).

I was already doing click and collect for Woolies, Dan's and Bunnings, and I don't need or want to go clothes shopping.  My sister and I made a pact last November to not buy any clothes for 12 months, it's working well so far!  Not being able to go out makes it easy.

I'm glad I live so close to the water.  I know other people will be doing it tough but I'm feeling okay about everything.  Even if it feels like the whole class has got detention because the naughty kids wouldn't behave!

• Like 1