Peter

Coronavirus

So the Geelong thread doesn’t get totally side tracked 

just watching this from someone way smarter than me. 

I'll move this one to here as well rather than the Geelong thread.

4 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

I am surprised that the climate change deniers aren't also denying that the coronavirus is occurring.

Someone is though. :)

https://7news.com.au/sport/anthony-mundine-says-coronavirus-is-a-ploy-c-675702?fbclid=IwAR2y1gT_Cgd6qQJyOO_bOgx-DLgOsvh3-KFjHFAtqrgDxXcwuUlxSrMZtRA

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I think there is a lot of unnecessary fear and panic out there. For some perspective, two of the first patients from Sydney have already been released from hospital and are fully recovered and healthy. It's not a death sentence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I hope that Mundine's tin foil hat protects him from the non existent virus!

On 01/02/2020 at 1:47 PM, Peter said:

Then there’s this guy. 

CADC9BA0-C5C2-47CB-8681-A029D31C57A0.jpeg

What a boob.

FM

4 hours ago, Flanman said:

What a boob.

FM

That virus is just a storm in a b cup 

• Haha 2

Not necessarily just old/frail people dying from it - the doctor who initially raised the alarm (and was in trouble with the police for doing so) has now died, he was 34

1 minute ago, -H- said:

Not necessarily just old/frail people dying from it - the doctor who initially raised the alarm (and was in trouble with the police for doing so) has now died, he was 34

Did he die from lead poisoning? 

• Haha 2

https://www.theage.com.au/business/markets/the-coronavirus-is-far-from-under-control-and-the-threat-to-the-global-economy-is-growing-20200206-p53y72.html?js-chunk-not-found-refresh=true

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/world/asia/coronavirus-china-wuhan-quarantine.amp.html

It's not good. The death of the doctor shows it can be some time before the virus takes you and these are early days.

I'm not sure I would like to be taken from my home to the "hospital". Sounds like neglected sardines :(

2 hours ago, -H- said:

"Jiao Yahui, an official for the commission, revealed more than two-thirds of the coronavirus deaths were men.

Of those deaths, more than 80 per cent were older than 60 and more than 75 per cent had an underlying disease." 

I wouldn't be surprised if the doctor who released the news suffered from a 'self inflicted' gunshot wound to the back of his head... 

Edited by more

44 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Imagine being quarantined on a cruise ship in harbour for 2 weeks, stuck in your room washing your underwear in the sink, while 61 passengers have been taken to hospital with confirmed cases.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51409800

That sounds a better option than Wuhan ATM :(

21 minutes ago, more said:

"Jiao Yahui, an official for the commission, revealed more than two-thirds of the coronavirus deaths were men.

Of those deaths, more than 80 per cent were older than 60 and more than 75 per cent had an underlying disease." 

I wouldn't be surprised if the doctor who released the news suffered from a 'self inflicted' gunshot wound to the back of his head... 

That’s a bit far fetched. His death is not going down well.

Edited by dazaau

Bunnings are all out of the P2 masks as they told me that the Government came and took them all off the shelves.  As for which Government department I have no idea.

You can still get a pack of 6 of the crap ones and a set of earmuffs and protective glasses for $16.

Otherwise the P3's which are better than P2's are $65.

You can also get a bit half mask with 2 large filters for $44 but the kids sizes don't come with filters and they don't have spare filters.

If and or when this virus does hit this country in full, there will be no masks left unless ScoMo releases the supposed 10,000,000 masks which may be the ones they took from Bunnings.  These surgical ones that 90% of the Chinese in Melbourne are wearing are pointless.

We're going on an overseas cruise tomorrow so I shelled out good money for the P3's as many things could happen over the next couple of weeks and I can always return them to Bunnings for a refund when it's all over... hopefully in less than 6 months, or I can't return them!

Restaurants are all empty.  A workmate who is Indian said you can't get into the Indian restaurants at the moment as the Chinese are all eating there!  Went to the Glenn shopping centre... dead as ever.  If it does hit hard here, it's going to be very quiet at the shops.

Edited by BC_J400

7 hours ago, dazaau said:

That sounds a better option than Wuhan ATM :(

That’s a bit far fetched. His death is not going down well.

Yeah I was only joking, though with the likes of China stranger things have happened 

So what have been the funniest mask spottings.

I saw a women driving alone in her car the other day, wearing a mask.

And saw a guy driving past our work the other day on a motorcycle wearing one too. 

Trying to figure out who they were trying to protect themselves from? 

It wasn't coronavirus related, but when we had the smoke issue.

There was a guy in the city in Brisbane wearing a mask on the footpath, till he stopped at one of the regular smoker's haunts, pulled the mask down & lit up. He put the mask back on after each puff.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, roxii said:

So what have been the funniest mask spottings.

I saw a women driving alone in her car the other day, wearing a mask.

And saw a guy driving past our work the other day on a motorcycle wearing one too. 

Trying to figure out who they were trying to protect themselves from? 

I guess there's a chance these people may be undergoing an immune therapy and could be neutropenic .

I was in this boat recently and needed to wear a mask for 2 months after getting out of hospital. It's the same case if someone who's recently had a bone marrow transplant.

I guess on a positive note I still have a box of 25 masks left..... wonder what I could get for them on Ebay? 

Edited by Mike Del

18 hours ago, -H- said:

There are exceptions to every rule. 

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Imagine being quarantined on a cruise ship in harbour for 2 weeks, stuck in your room washing your underwear in the sink, while 61 passengers have been taken to hospital with confirmed cases.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51409800

Wouldn’t the 14 days have to restart every time someone on the ship tests positive?

for example. 

person 1 got on the ship and already had it for 5 days. 

gives it to person B.  His 14 days begins.
 However on day 10 he gives it to person C.  

So now she has to wait 14 days.

Yet person Bs wife who’s had it already for 10 days but not tested positive but she’s on the boat and knows person c well. 

she would have to abort her 10 days already served and start the 14 again. 

my point, they might never get off the ship 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

my point, they might never get off the ship 

They would get off, but worst case scenario would be 3700 (number of passengers) x the 2 week quarantine (about 140 years) if one new case was found as the 2 weeks was finishing each time. :)

But is my thinking wrong?  Honest question.   

if people keep getting confirmed before the 14 days, the days have to start again. 

Edited by Peter

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

But is my thinking wrong?  Honest question.   

if people keep getting confirmed before the 14 days, the days have to start again. 

Not if they are in quarantine themselves and have had no interaction with others...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SomeTri said:

Not if they are in quarantine themselves and have had no interaction with others...

Hmm. Interesting 

personally being someone who breaks rules, I would lose my shit after a few days and demand to be allowed fresh air and a walk around.  With or without permission. 

On 08/02/2020 at 4:03 PM, SomeTri said:

Has everyone on the ship being confined to their cabins/quarantined or is it just the infected people?

4 minutes ago, zed said:

Has everyone on the ship being confined to their cabins/quarantined or is it just the infected people?

Ch9 just reported they are all off the ship now.

Be interesting to see if australian health lets them fly back in here.  Can't see why not, but you just never know

This was interesting from NZ

• Like 1

This doesn't sound good

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/china-confirms-coronavirus-is-airborne/ar-BBZOXg2?ocid=spartandhp

• Like 1

Looking at this posted on a Australian govt health website, if you have these symptoms, you might think you have a yukky cold  & asthma is playing up

Patients may have fever, cough, runny nose, shortness of breath and other symptoms.

Edited by Surfer
Added 'Australian'

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

An interesting dashboard for those interested in the stats.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Yes, it is very cool. I like the look of the outbreak curve. It looks very close to a global maximum point and if the trend remains and there isn't an outbreak then it will start to go down in the next few days. That would be very good. 

I think that the numbers are at best an estimate, as the number of cases in China is overwhelming the medical system.

Most countries have travel bans ending late Feb or early March. If these bans are lifted the virus could spread globally quickly.

I am hoping that it is resolved quickly. I transited through Hong Kong twice in January.  I am currently banned from entering the country where I am currently working. When I fly out on R&R in a few weeks I may not be allowed back in.

A friend 4 doors down is a pilot for Qantas. He got back from an LA flight yesterday & I was talking to him in the afternoon. He said the traffic to any international airport is now heaps easier, and he hardly saw any Chinese at Brisbane, Sydney or LA airports, where-as there are normally heaps.

What happens if this virus hits 3rd world countries? There is no way they could prevent it from spreading.

5 hours ago, dazaau said:

Yes, it is very cool. I like the look of the outbreak curve. It looks very close to a global maximum point and if the trend remains and there isn't an outbreak then it will start to go down in the next few days. That would be very good. 

Oh dear. turns our they found another 15,0000 cases overnight. Not sure what that means though, as it appears they changed their methodology. It could be still the case that the curve is plateauing and outbreak slowing. Will be hard to know now. 

Edited by dazaau

2 hours ago, zed said:

What happens if this virus hits 3rd world countries? There is no way they could prevent it from spreading.

It's not the bubonic plague of 1475 or whatever year it was.

Not everyone dies from it

I did this on a train the other day. 3 people moved.  I sat down. 

Heard from one of the families we visited in Suzhou on our school exchange trip last year.  The school there where our kids visited and attended for 3 days of the trip has been closed since the start of the year, students are being told to stay home, the family are only leaving their flat for essential services.  This school is similar to Melbourne high, all students attend by invitation only, and none of the invitations are based on musical or sporting ability

What are the odds on the Olympics being cancelled this year (I assume there is a betting agency offering this).

Things aren't looking good for the Milan-San-Remo in Italy in a couple weeks. Milan is an epicentre of the virus in Italy, and authorities are looking at whether it will be able to go ahead. 

There are soccer matches in Europe proceeding with no crowd allowed. 

It could be a bleak year for sports fans.

they would have to be postponed until later this year or next year surely. Japan would have spent millions and would guarantee a lawsuit would be pending to the IOC if they didn't. 

The talk on the news this morning was that it was either on or cancelled, no postponement. 

Just beginning to think I should have taken up the insurance option on my travel to Europe and not insubstantial race entry 😂

My former employer invested $15 million into a new production line 3 years ago to be able to quadruple their production and supply of hand sanitiser.  Think they are going to see that investment reap dividends this year

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

My former employer invested $15 million into a new production line 3 years ago to be able to quadruple their production and supply of hand sanitiser.  Think they are going to see that investment reap dividends this year

Are they listed?  Buy some shares