Cranky

Are gloves gloves?

When I'm training in a draft line, and I'm up off the tri bars, my hands get sore. I thought done gloves might help. Do I just pick the ones with the nicest colors, or are there some I should stay away from?

https://www.wiggle.com.au/ladies/cycle/road/gloves/short-finger-length/?ris=1&o=5

Screenshot_20200131-190831_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200131-190740_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200131-190718_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Cranky
Pics

5 minutes ago, Cranky said:

When I'm training in a draft line, and I'm up off the tri bars, my hands get sore. I thought done gloves might help. Do I just pick the ones with the nicest colors, or are there some I should stay away from?

https://www.wiggle.com.au/ladies/cycle/road/gloves/short-finger-length/?ris=1&o=5

I find it best to try gloves on because if they don't fit properly its awful. Maybe buy from your LBS then online once you find what you like

I don't think gloves will stop your hands from getting sore. It's more to do with riding a TT bike not in the TT position, so it's pressure through the hands. 

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Barbie colours don't cut it.

but my bike has pink bar tape!

• Haha 1

Gloves really are a "try on in person' item, try to avoid dyes that run when wet (they can aggravate skin conditions).

57 minutes ago, trifun said:

Gloves really are a "try on in person' item, try to avoid dyes that run when wet (they can aggravate skin conditions).

Yep the money u save buying on line isn’t huge. Try them on & get comfy.

8 hours ago, AA7 said:

I don't think gloves will stop your hands from getting sore. It's more to do with riding a TT bike not in the TT position, so it's pressure through the hands. 

If your hands are getting sore down near the wrist below the little finger, then as Alison said, it'll be the unusual position tri bars put your hands in when sitting up, and the force you are putting down on that point. Gloves with good padding in that general area can help.

• Like 2

I always wear gloves, have for ages. Mostly on account of sweaty hands. I hate the ones with padding. I find hte padding digs in more and creates sore spots. 

I just use weight training gloves. Solves my problem. But probably won't solve your problem. 

On 01/02/2020 at 11:43 PM, Katz said:

I always wear gloves, have for ages. Mostly on account of sweaty hands. I hate the ones with padding. I find hte padding digs in more and creates sore spots. 

I just use weight training gloves. Solves my problem. But probably won't solve your problem. 

Agree, especially the ones with big gel inserts, they cause more pain that they save. I prefer thinner palms with a bit of reinforcement so they don't wear out too quick.

2 hours ago, Naut said:

Agree, especially the ones with big gel inserts, they cause more pain that they save. I prefer thinner palms with a bit of reinforcement so they don't wear out too quick.

Same here

2 hours ago, Naut said:

Completely disagree!  I get the ones with the most padding possible - shows we're all different  I never get sore spots from my gloves. 

I reckon it comes down to the quality of the gloves - There is a lot of padding (gel?) in the right places on mine, but there are areas with no padding to allow your hand to clench without the padding bunching...

Another option for comfort is gel inserts under the bar tape. I have this on one bike and works well.

I personally use gloves with min padding, just because my favorite ones have no paddling (summer MTB gloves), which use on road bike as well

on the topic of gloves.
Always wear gloves.

There are some of us who have started to push for the juniors when out riding to have the requirement (Currently it is highly recommended, which is about as far as we expect we will be able to push) to wear gloves.

For all riders we suggest gloves, if only because one little off, and you can't use your hand/s for who knows how long. More on the safety reasons to wear them than comfort.

Personally I have been wearing some from Specialized, but I can't remember the model off the top of my head (Grail, IIRC)