Prince

cervelo help

does anyone know what is going on here. this cervelo p3 is only 3 months old. it appears the crank arm has cracks. Anyone had anything similar? Should there be some sort of warranty normally?

IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2995.jpeg

maybe pic didn't show it properly.  towards the back. I am getting a 'cracking' sound riding.  might be something else. 

3 minutes ago, Prince said:

maybe pic didn't show it properly.  towards the back. I am getting a 'cracking' sound riding.  might be something else. 

I thought you were referring to the cracks where the spider meets the chainring!

I had something similar last year on my Dura-Ace crank. I think there was a crack in one of the joints as shown in your pic. I noticed a click and it got progressively worse. Shimano replaced under warranty.

20 hours ago, zed said:

I thought you were referring to the cracks where the spider meets the chainring!

That's all I can see too

Me too. I wonder if you take cranks off, chain rings off and bottom bracket out. Ensure all bolts/threads have a light coating of lube and re-assemble. Quite often you get a creaking sound if things are tightened properly. If doing one at a time, I'd start with removing the chainrings, clean bolts, lube and re-assemble/tighten. Then move to cranks and then bottom bracket if cracking noise persists.

Those Shimano HollowTech crank arms usually last a couple of years then crack and subsequently fail (post warranty), usually on the crank arm on the drive side IMHO, if it is happening this soon take it back to the shop.

On 31/01/2020 at 5:46 PM, Prince said:

It’s not the bottom bracket which can be prone to creaking?

11 hours ago, Slunnie said:

It’s not the bottom bracket which can be prone to creaking?

Yeah are you talking about cracks or creaking?

Cervelo have had issues with their BBs for years, I think, largely to their excessive manufacturing tolerances on their frames. Lots of unhappy customers on the web.