ironman08

Geelong 70.3

I'm in.

Catching the virus on the plane won't hurt your race.  it takes 12 days to take hold.  You'll be fine.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, ironman08 said:

Hi everyone..anyone going to Geelong 70.3

Worried about coronavirus..should we wear mask on fly from Sydney to Melbourne ? 

I may be wrong but I reckon its all gone a little silly. Another case of governments wanting to take extreme measures just in case so they don't have egg on their face (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), and the media loving to blow things out of proportion.

For example, just the common flu killed 79,000 in the US alone 

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates there were a record-high 79,400 flu deathsTrusted Source in the United States in the 2017-2018 season."

In Australia last year there were over 300,000 case of the flu with around 400 deaths.

So compared to the flu at this stage the Corona virus is a bit of a nothing burger?

Edited by more
  • Thanks 1

Just keep washing your hands and consistently practice good basic hygiene - that'll pretty much fully protect you...  

55 minutes ago, more said:

In Australia last year there were over 300,000 case of the flu with around 400 deaths.

So compared to the flu at this stage the Corona virus is a bit of a nothing burger?

Going by those figures, just over 0.1% of cases are fatal. So far Coronavirus is showing around 2% mortality (20 times that of the flu), though those numbers are probably exaggerated with the number of non-fatal cases most likely under-reported.

1 hour ago, ironman08 said:

Hi everyone..anyone going to Geelong 70.3

Worried about coronavirus..should we wear mask on fly from Sydney to Melbourne ? 

I think the risk is very low given the flight, but if it is stressing you out good hand hygiene and a face mask during the flight may allay some of your fears and doesn't really cost you anything. 

I'd do the hand hygiene, I don't like wearing a mask. 

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Going by those figures, just over 0.1% of cases are fatal. So far Coronavirus is showing around 2% mortality (20 times that of the flu), though those numbers are probably exaggerated with the number of non-fatal cases most likely under-reported.

You also can't believe everything you read.  I think we are living in the worst time for journalism EVER.  So much clickbait to draw page impressions for BS stories.

46 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I think the risk is very low given the flight, but if it is stressing you out good hand hygiene and a face mask during the flight may allay some of your fears and doesn't really cost you anything. 

I'd do the hand hygiene, I don't like wearing a mask. 

You should only wear a mask if you have it. or the usual flu. 

• Like 1

The chance of catching it on an internal flight in Australia is extremely low. I flew through Hong Kong airport on Monday >99% of people were wearing masks. I wore the mask on the flights and during the transit.

If you are concerned wear a mask. Also take a small bottle of alcohol hand wash and wash your hands regularly.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

You also can't believe everything you read.  I think we are living in the worst time for journalism EVER.  So much clickbait to draw page impressions for BS stories.

I actually haven't seen media reporting mortality rates or comparing them to flu or SARS. I was just going by WHO stats for the number of deaths & reported cases through various health organisations. Deaths at 213 & infections nearly 10,000.

But wouldn't that make a great headline. 

Coronavirus 20 times more deadly than Influenza.

I was in Bali earlier in the week & ppl were going nuts for masks. The Chinese were pushing and shoving at the chemist. It was crazy to observe how rude and aggresive ppl could be.

7 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

I am racing in Geelong. Hoping the day is not as hot as today

At least you’d be finished before it hits 40c. Unlike me. 

60A2E189-CC8C-4F4E-BC44-7A1C713751F6.jpeg

I am racing Geelong, but will be driving (not flying) to the race.

Quarrantine is 2 weeks, race is in 3 weeks. So we should be fine.

Don't agree with the comparison to the Flu, as I believe (could be wrong) that most flu deaths are amongst the elderly or 'already sick'.  Whereas the Coronavirus appears to be lethal to the strong and healthy.

Glad I have been working from home due to the train outages.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I am racing Geelong, but will be driving (not flying) to the race.

Quarrantine is 2 weeks, race is in 3 weeks. So we should be fine.

Don't agree with the comparison to the Flu, as I believe (could be wrong) that most flu deaths are amongst the elderly or 'already sick'.  Whereas the Coronavirus appears to be lethal to the strong and healthy.

Glad I have been working from home due to the train outages.

Early signs were they it was mostly elderly people or people with complications. Not sure if that's changed. It's a relatively easy to catch but less severe virus then sars or others. More like h1n1 I guess. 

https://time.com/5770924/wuhan-coronavirus-youngest-death/

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/is-the-coronavirus-outbreak-as-bad-as-sars-or-the-2009-influenza-pandemic-a-biologist-explains-the-clues-130766

@Reefmanburger now lives in China. He said its all Oldies dying. 

not 

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Whereas the Coronavirus appears to be lethal to the strong and healthy.

He is locked down.  At least he is keeping his humor going. 

16630DFF-C178-4968-90AC-758910CF7000.png

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

Early signs were they it was mostly elderly people or people with complications. Not sure if that's changed. It's a relatively easy to catch but less severe virus then sars or others. More like h1n1 I guess. 

Happy to stand corrected

I'm surprised the 1 percenters haven't link the coronavirus to climate change. 

I entered a while ago but then my knee blew up and I haven't run for months - so changed to a team.  I was really looking forward to it but now I'm kinda meh

10 hours ago, Greyman said:

I'm surprised the 1 percenters haven't link the coronavirus to climate change. 

I am surprised that the climate change deniers aren't also denying that the coronavirus is occurring.

• Haha 2

Not long now.  
weather will be interesting given the high humidity this last month.  

On 01/02/2020 at 9:19 AM, Ironnerd said:

I am surprised that the climate change deniers aren't also denying that the coronavirus is occurring.

Never quite know if that term means that you deny the climate is changing or that you deny that humans are a part of it.

Either way they are wrong. The evidence shows that climate change is occurring and humans are the major contributor.

• Like 1

To answer the original question. Just come down to Geelong, enjoy the race and experience. If you worry about the coronavirus all the time, you won't step out your front door.

We promise that climate change won't happen during the race, only changing weather. It is Geelong, so you could get 4 seasons in one day, a beautiful day or 35 degrees with a north wind. No climate change, just a roll of the dice with the weather. Enjoy.

16 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Either way they are wrong. The evidence shows that climate change is occurring and humans are the major contributor.

yeah of course...because the earth's temperature has been changing for millions of years, not sure why it would stop now

Edited by Nick777
  • Like 1

Temperature doesn't worry me too much (except back in 2006 when I raced an Olympic Distance in Geelong and the temperature went over 40 degrees during the race).  More concerned about the wind.

On 15 February 2020 at 12:06 PM, Rob said:

Temperature doesn't worry me too much (except back in 2006 when I raced an Olympic Distance in Geelong and the temperature went over 40 degrees during the race).  More concerned about the wind.

Rob, if the race was this weekend, you would have been right to worry about the wind. It's been howling all night and all day today at the coast.

I drove up through Geelong on my way home, and I must the Eastern beach is looking good for the race. Swim course not affected too much by the stiff south wester wind. Water temp is at 18 degrees today. Will be 18 or 19 for the race. If the race was today, On the bike leg  your nose would be on your handlebars for about 30 of the 45 km lap. Today would have been a shit bike leg day. However, on the run it was really good conditions with the breeze keeping the temp down to a nice 23 degrees. 

For next Sunday, race day, I reckon you will get a good 26 degree day with light winds. Swim should be good, bike leg good and run generally good with a few pockets of "nil wind and open sunshine" along parts of the foreshore.

Hope you have a good race.