roxii

Challenge China. Bad timing?

Especially when Old tranny reefy that lives over there posted this just today 

Outside Shenzhen, marathon and other running events across China have been cancelled until the end of April. 

the full post makes interesting reading too.

A little Coronavirus update from here in China.

Not sure if you've been following news on this, but as of today there's 106 confirmed deaths, and about 4500 cases. This is tracking very close with earlier projections based on the reproduction and death rates of the virus. I've attached a couple of images done by an Aussie I know here in China who's following the numbers closer than I am (he's kind-of obsessed  by the numbers).

Bottom line is this thing is about twice as easy to catch than a flu, and about 21 times as deadly (the flu in USA this season has killed about 6,500 people, which is kind-of average). 

On the ground here in my city of Shenzhen isn't too bad. But things have changed over the past few days. It's now compulsory to wear an approved mask in public. Police can arrest anyone without one (but they really aren't doing that from what I can see), but the metro system is literally not allowing people to enter without masks and a temperature check. Most shops are closed, mainly because of Chinese New Year holidays, and the ones open selling food are running out. I have about a month's supply of food at my place.

That's in Shenzhen, with about 50 cases of the virus. There have been no deaths here, and about 4 or 5 people fully recover from the virus.

Outside Shenzhen, marathon and other running events across China have been cancelled until the end of April, metro systems in some cities have closed down, and Wuhan itself has even banned the use of cars. EVERYTHING there is on lockdown, as well as cities around Wuhan, once it became clear that approximately 5 million people fled Wuhan in the days before it was put into lockdown. Now there's an estimated 50 million people living under lockdown.

I know of three Aussies in Wuhan, one at his house, and two stuck in smaller cities outside Wuhan, who are now unable to get back to their (Wuhan) homes.

I still feel pretty safe here, but am getting worried about being able to get out of Shenzhen/China in mid Feb, when I have a flight booked to Australia. The projections are that there could be about 200,000 cases of the virus by then.

Somebody must be gunning for a mention in marketing textbooks. This'll do it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve said:

Foreigners evacuated from China virus epicentre

Swim, bike, run. Any way you can.

FFS

Australia plans to quarantine its returning citizens for two weeks on Christmas Island - some 2,000km (1,200 miles) from the mainland.

What about the ones that already have it?  Sending them there now?  At least the boat people with have some visitors

21 hours ago, Peter said:

FFS

What about the ones that already have it?  Sending them there now?  At least the boat people with have some visitors

There's only one family on Christmas Island. The ones they booted from Biloela in Qld where they've been living as productive residents for a couple of years.

I do wonder who from QANTAS will be volunteering to work on the plane and then spend 14 days on Christmas hoping they didn't catch it. 
Oh and who cleans the plane to the level required.

I can't see it working/happening

7 hours ago, MissJess said:

I thought Emmos post on Facebook was a joke.... 😂😷

Ditto! 

“CHALLENGE WHUHAN Reschedule”
Due to the Novel Coronavirus outbreak worldwide, CHALLENGE WUHAN will be rescheduled. CHALLENGEFAMILY will announce the latest race date as soon as possible.
For preventing to get infected. Regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, thoroughly cooking meat and eggs. Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
Wish every athletes good health, happiness and peace.
#allaboutathletes #wearetriathlon #wehaveadeal

49 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Thoroughly cooking eggs? What, and how? Do the chickens have it too 🤣

The virus is believed to have originated late last year in a food market in the Chinese city of Wuhan that was illegally selling wildlife. Health experts think it may have originated in bats and then passed to humans, possibly via another animal species.

As Champ Kind would say "Chickens of the cave".

On 31/01/2020 at 7:25 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

As Champ Kind would say "Chickens of the cave".

In pretty sure it was seafood this time, illegal products in a dodgy market apparently

Not chickens 😛 maybe they copied the info from bird flu ;) 

10 minutes ago, dazaau said:

In pretty sure it was seafood this time, illegal products in a dodgy market apparently

Not chickens 😛 maybe they copied the info from bird flu ;) 

Did you not see Anchorman?