Prince

Running Shoes -What are you Running in?

I am thinking of changing my running shoes to something different. I currently use Hoka One One Bondi's wide fit, and they are nearing 700 kms so will need to be replaced soon. My brother just got some Nike Pegasus 36's after using the Hokas and says they are pretty good. 

I use orthotics so don't really need a massive stable shoe as the oaths compensate, though i really want some descent cushioning still and may be a bit lighter than the Hokas if possible. Running about 40km per week and will up it to 60km mid year.

what's everyone runnin in ???

Edited by Prince

I was always Mizuno Waver Riders -- went to podiatrist in Brisbane and he suggested Asics Roadhawk as it has a lower heel to toe .

My hubby wears Nike Pegausus - he has high arches and also orthotics

• Thanks 1

Pegasus Turbo 2 for training and 4% for racing. Bought some Hoka CarbonXs, but pretty sure they are causing me calf issues.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Long time Asics DS trainer user.,

Was about to go down the Hoka route, but discover Salming Shoes. I have both types, for short runs and long runs.

I wish I found these shoes 15 years ago.

First time In 10 years I have consistently running 4:45 k's over 10-11's. 

Even my long runs are easier and faster.

I can't put it down to anything else !

• Thanks 1

Current Rotation:

Day to Day Running
Saucony Kinvara 9
On Cloudflow
Hoka One One Rincon
Newton Distance S IV

Long Runs on Trails
Inov-8 Race Ultra 270
Saucony Mad River TR

Triathlon Racing (& Bricks)
Inov-8 Tri-Extreme 225 (HIM)
Saucony Fasttwitch (Oly)
Saucony TypeA8 (Sprint)

Trail Run Racing
Inov-8 TerraClaw 220

Short Road Running Races (& Track work)
Inov-8 Road-X lite 155

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Current Rotation:

Day to Day Running
Saucony Kinvara 9
On Cloudflow
Hoka One One Rincon
Newton Distance S IV

Long Runs on Trails
Inov-8 Race Ultra 270
Saucony Mad River TR

Triathlon Racing (& Bricks)
Inov-8 Tri-Extreme 225 (HIM)
Saucony Fasttwitch (Oly)
Saucony TypeA8 (Sprint)

Trail Run Racing
Inov-8 TerraClaw 220

Short Road Running Races (& Track work)
Inov-8 Road-X lite 155

Do you own a sports shop or shares in Rebel?

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Do you own a sports shop or shares in Rebel?

Rob might  be a milipede, have you seen him in real life? 

• Like 1

Runners are consumables, so they all have a relatively short lifespan.  I typically retire them around 800km unless they are showing signs of wear or feeling dead earlier than that.  Very easy to use Strava to track mileage for each pair. 

Having multiple pairs means I can always wait for good deals. So I am never paying full price.  Might be more of an upfront cost, but over time I definitely believe I save money.

If you only have 1 pair of runners, for the last 200km you are running of old runners. Because it is a gradual demise, you don't notice how much the runners are deteriating.  With multiple pairs, each week I am running on a new pair, a middle aged pair and maybe an old pair.  I can tell if the old pair need retiring because I have others to compare against.

Also I like to run in different styles of runners.  I don't want everything to be in overly cushioned shoes, the same as I don't want all runs in minimalist runners either.  I can have separate pairs for long runs, tempo runs, trails, etc.  My racing shoes can be permanently set up with elastic laces.

Sometimes new runners don't end up being that good. No problem, I just relegate them to recovery runs, or runs in bad weather when I prefer to keep my favourite runners clean.  Means I can experiment with different styles, different brands.

• Thanks 1

Ran in Brooks Adrenalines for a long time, fell out with Brooks so went looking for other shoes.

Fell in love with K-Swiss, then they were no more

Found Mizuno Waves, went well for around 6 pairs, after a while got a bad pair and didn't seem to like them

Back in my 3rd pair of Adrenalines again, they are just the right shoe for me and the local shop looks after me with them (can call the shop tomorrow and tell them what colour I want, pick up the new pair the day after), rotate through 2 pairs day on day.  Have one pair of Brooks racing flats I keep up my sleeves for Wonderland trail run each year (when not torrential rain), good for racing, but no good for me as a day to day training shoe.  Also still have a pair of Mizuno trail running shoes - incredibly uncomfortable to run in, but look good for casual wear so haven't found the bin just yet

Other reflections on shoes (all personal)

Asics feel like concrete to run in

New Balance feel like boats on my feet

Reebok feel inflexible

Nikes are my second choice after Brooks

Saucony felt good, but didn't seem to get more than half the milage out of them compared to others

Don't keep records but guestimate I must have been through 100 pairs over the last 16 years in this sport and running since my last tri - I really miss the old days when Eastbay was a good and cheap place with a strong Aussie dollar to get 3 pairs delivered for the price of 1 pair from the shops here

• Thanks 1

I’m back in Adrenalins now as well. 
was solidly in the GT1000/2000 camp until ASICS “improved” them (series 7, I think) to be like bricks as Cottoneyes says.

Still have the series 5 GT 2000 s I bought of Rox. 
Off road in a pair of Salomon Ultra Pro. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I’m back in Adrenalins now as well. 
was solidly in the GT1000/2000 camp until ASICS “improved” them (series 7, I think) to be like bricks as Cottoneyes says.

Still have the series 5 GT 2000 s I bought of Rox. 
Off road in a pair of Salomon Ultra Pro. 

That's strange, I thought the 7's (and 6's) were a good improvement for the GT2000s after Asics seemed to lose their way a few years back. Likewise I love the last couple of years of DS Trainers too, after previous ones were a bit off. I've also got a great pair of Noosa FF, that I rotate through.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rob said:

Runners are consumables, so they all have a relatively short lifespan.  I typically retire them around 800km unless they are showing signs of wear or feeling dead earlier than that.  Very easy to use Strava to track mileage for each pair. 

Having multiple pairs means I can always wait for good deals. So I am never paying full price.  Might be more of an upfront cost, but over time I definitely believe I save money.

If you only have 1 pair of runners, for the last 200km you are running of old runners. Because it is a gradual demise, you don't notice how much the runners are deteriating.  With multiple pairs, each week I am running on a new pair, a middle aged pair and maybe an old pair.  I can tell if the old pair need retiring because I have others to compare against.

Also I like to run in different styles of runners.  I don't want everything to be in overly cushioned shoes, the same as I don't want all runs in minimalist runners either.  I can have separate pairs for long runs, tempo runs, trails, etc.  My racing shoes can be permanently set up with elastic laces.

Sometimes new runners don't end up being that good. No problem, I just relegate them to recovery runs, or runs in bad weather when I prefer to keep my favourite runners clean.  Means I can experiment with different styles, different brands.

Same here Rob , my last rotation is to wear for gardening then the bin .... I was only teasing 😚

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Same here Rob , my last rotation is to wear for gardening then the bin .... I was only teasing 😚

The millipede comment was pretty funny though 🙂

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Prince said:

I am thinking of changing my running shoes to something different. I currently use Hoka One One Bondi's wide fit, and they are nearing 700 kms so will need to be replaced soon.

what's everyone runnin in ???

I also run in the Bondi's wide and the Running shop after putting me on the treadmill and video etc... (45 mins later) said I should stay in the Hoka's or if I wanted to change use the new balance MMORE shoe.

I have an issue with my big toe and the Hoka's have mande it so I run pain free.  The MMORE is pretty much the same.  The first few runs it's a lot more harder than the Hoka's but then it's fine.  I now have 4 pairs I rotate.

• Like 1

how many km's do most people get out of their shoes?

I read 800kms is recommenced to change

50 minutes ago, Prince said:

I'd say it would depend on your weight and how your land / lift your feet right?  Someone who is 50kg might get 800kms out of a pair, while the same pair of shoes may only last 500kms on a 90kg person...  Same would apply to someone who lifts their feet and land lightly vs someone who scuffs their shoes on landing

I get somewhere between 600 - 900 kms to a shoe, depending on the shoe.  I used to rotate between 3 pairs, but need to have a higher heel drop atm due to PF so currently don't rotate.  Currently in Adidas Bostons...  Get about 650km out of each pair...

• Thanks 1

800km is generally seen as a maximum. 

Some shoes will wear out quicker.  Especially those with the new foam.  I've heard reports of the Nike Carbon plated runners (with the special foam) only lasting 150 miles.

And as 'SomeTri' mentioned, it also depends on your weight, running style and surfaces that you run on.

Edited by Rob
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Prince said:

So many variables. Racing flats could be as low as 200km, my Hoka Cliftons were way over 1000km. I can usually tell as I start getting a bit sore.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Prince said:

I run my shoes into the ground, not sure how many K's, But usually up to 2 years worth of running.

Disclaimer: Last 45 years I have managed to get but on 1 run a week of about 10-11km. Due to various injuries.....

This year will be very different as i am injury free and starting to run lots thankfully. 

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1