more

Bike frequency-how often?

Is recovery a major part of cycling, or is the more is better approach the best option? For example, what would be better-smashing out a really hard 2 hour session every second day, or a moderate 2 hour session every single day?

I used to be really into the gym and recovery was a key factor in ensuring muscle growth. But in endurance sports its seems that doing as much as you possibly can without breaking down is a large part of the way forward?

Just now, more said:

Is recovery a major part of cycling, or is the more is better approach the best option? For example, what would be better-smashing out a really hard 2 hour session every second day, or a moderate 2 hour session every single day?

I used to be really into the gym and recovery was a key factor in ensuring muscle growth. But in endurance sports its seems that doing as much as you possibly can without breaking down is a large part of the way forward?

just live 35 km from work and leave exactly 1hr before starting time (including shower), the trip home will be your "recovery"

• Like 1

I do both. When the legs are heavy & I can’t get the power/hold the power. I do an easy 30km on the flat. I ride almost every day & often twice a day. 

• Thanks 1

Recovery is still important.

And I think your riding will plateau if you don't include some intensity.

So what do you think would provide the best outcome-2 hard hours every second day, or 2 moderate hours every single day?

And, if you have a spare hour to kill-would it always be beneficial to jump on Zwift and knock out 30Ks? I'm still coming to grips with this whole endurance approach, as in body building over training is a real problem and can send you backwards.

49 minutes ago, trifun said:

just live 35 km from work and leave exactly 1hr before starting time (including shower)

Is the theory that you'll soon be sacked and have heaps of time to train? :D

just been reading more into this over the past few weeks. zone 2, which is 65-75% of your ftp, should  be 80% of your rides, with 'ball tearer' or zone 4 interval type ride once a week. This is more base training though. A second up tempo ride can be added later. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, more said:

So what do you think would provide the best outcome-2 hard hours every second day, or 2 moderate hours every single day?

And, if you have a spare hour to kill-would it always be beneficial to jump on Zwift and knock out 30Ks? I'm still coming to grips with this whole endurance approach, as in body building over training is a real problem and can send you backwards.

Riding hard every time you sit your bum on the bike is the most common mistake. Your performance will get worse doing that.

Go for 2 moderate hours 6 days a week. Actually, make that easy to moderate.

The occasional short sharp effort is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derny Driver said:

Riding hard every time you sit your bum on the bike is the most common mistake. Your performance will get worse doing that.

Go for 2 moderate hours 6 days a week. Actually, make that easy to moderate.

The occasional short sharp effort is good.

Following jack haig on Strava. Pretty handy bike rider. 

Nearly all his rides are at an average under 30km per hr. 

Looking now its pretty Much 29km hr. 

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Recovery is still important.

And I think your riding will plateau.... 

At least it'll be easier on the flat bit... 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Peter said:

Following jack haig on Strava. Pretty handy bike rider. 

Nearly all his rides are at an average under 30km per hr. 

Looking now its pretty Much 29km hr. 

I don't think average speed for a ride is a good guide.  I've had plenty of very hard rides where the overall average speed was very low.

Context required.  What is your goal? 

Do you want to be a better climber? Climb Hills

Do you want to be a better triathlon rider then you need to spend time in the aero bars.

Build volume then recovery (aka recovery week/adaptation week) repeat. 

Add intensity via attacking hills, efforts on the flat, on trainer etc.  Build on that and again put in an adaptation week.  

Easy sessions are easy.  Hard session are hard (not necessarily long)  Always remember the purpose of the session you are doing.  

• Like 2

For me- Volume through frequency works. I have tried periodisation, Sweet spot programs etc etc. Most success has been the more times I ride a week, the better I get. Most weeks 5-6 rides. The easier I ride, the more I can ride, the more I ride, the faster I ride.  That's in the context of maintaining bike for half/ironman training. 8 weeks out I transition to more event specific work by basically just changing 1 of my rides per week. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tyno said:

Is the theory that you'll soon be sacked and have heaps of time to train? :D

You have no faith in my training efforts (either that or an accurate knowledge of my current abilities)

• Haha 1

Well it depends on your objectives. 

I think doing high intensity 2 hours every second day is a recipe for injury. 

Do a lot of low intensity but long distance and HIIT once / twice a week and you'll grow your top end speed while also not flogging yourself to death. 

3 hours ago, Bosco said:

For me- Volume through frequency works. I have tried periodisation, Sweet spot programs etc etc. Most success has been the more times I ride a week, the better I get. Most weeks 5-6 rides. The easier I ride, the more I can ride, the more I ride, the faster I ride.  That's in the context of maintaining bike for half/ironman training. 8 weeks out I transition to more event specific work by basically just changing 1 of my rides per week. 

Ironman needs volume. That often doesn't leave time (or energy) for high intensity. And recovery from the high intensity workouts will probably reduce your volume.

For me, I cannot reach my peak riding form without intensity.  It may only be 1 really hard ride a fortnight. And my definition of hard is significantly more than Sweet Spot intervals.  But I only race Sprint to Half Ironman.

• Like 1

Smash out 2 hours every second day - you'll still be recovering from the smash-fest 2 days prior, so no, not a great option.

Moderate 2 hours every day - too much time in the mushy middle means that you don't develop your aerobic base nor do you develop your top end, so no, not a great option.

Far better to build light and shade into the week - one long ride in your aerobic zone (around 75% of your max HR or predetermined power range if that's your thing), one race pace sustained effort (we used to do lots of 1 hr TTs with run off the bike), mid week strength intervals (either hill reps of varying duration or shorter TT efforts - anything from 1 minute max efforts up to 10minute efforts. around 1 hour of work within a 90min session). On the other days, you can ride your bike for recovery - strictly RECOVERY pace, like your cranks are made of glass. Thinking that you can go out the day after a challenging session and push the pace only stuffs up all the good work that you put in to the key sessions.

• Like 3

On 20/01/2020 at 2:01 PM, more said:

Recovery for me: take the dogs for a walk

• Like 1