Peter

Err energy drink might be bad for you

Yes, it apparently makes you very gullible.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

You mean Ryf, Atkinson, etc endorse a product that is not good for you?

The health risks with energy drinks are massively overblown. The problems arise from people being morons and drinking a heap of them in combination with alcohol and underlying heart issues. Same thing would happen if they were drinking coffee, but would probably be worse...

"Coffee has more caffeine than Red Bull, although both drinks are well below the Mayo Clinic’s recommended maximum of 400 milligrams of caffeine per day. An 8-ounce cup of coffee contains between 80 and 200 milligrams of caffeine, depending on the varietal and brew method. An 8.4-ounce Red Bull can has 80 milligrams of caffeine."

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

The caffeine isn't the issue.  it's the sugar.

image.png.e7393b661cf4513416671ab13bd71469.png

Don't you have a dozen spoons of sugar in your coffee?

Too much sugar can make you violent.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

39 minutes ago, Peter said:

The caffeine isn't the issue.  it's the sugar.

image.png.e7393b661cf4513416671ab13bd71469.png

That's why you get the sugar free ones 😉

7 minutes ago, more said:

That's why you get the sugar free ones 😉

Thats worse for you

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

Thats worse for you

Rubbish, like all the hoopla about energy drinks when you read into it its all old wives tales...like the initial argument about energy drinks people always claim 'oh no they have so much caffeine your heart is going to explode'...but coffee has more caffeine....and now because we have a heap of lazy obese fat arses sugar is suddenly bad for us...no, excess calories are bad for you.

As for artificial sweeteners even the cancer council say they are fine

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/86047/cancer-information/general-information-cancer-information/cancer-questions-myths/food-and-drink/artificial-sweeteners-do-not-increase-cancer-risk/

I just know I'd rather real sugar than a chemical from a lab.

At least we know sugar is natural. Just not good for you

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

I just know I'd rather real sugar than a chemical from a lab.

At least we know sugar is natural. Just not good for you

Mate pretty much everything we eat unless its unprocessed has chemicals in it unfortunately. I agree though in that Id prefer to not ingest non natural substances, but have a doughnut, packet of chips, pasta sauce, chicken nugget, heck even an ice cream and there will most likely be all these fancy chemical numbers in the ingredients list.

Me and the wife have heated arguments about some of he crap she serves the kids...She has a mega high metabolism so has never had to worry about what she eats. As a consequence has lived a life of soft drink and chips... :(

43 minutes ago, more said:

She has a mega high metabolism so has never had to worry about what she eats. As a consequence has lived a life of soft drink and chips... :(

Clearly she did something really bad in a past life to be that lucky this time round

I didn't say coffee was good for you either - it's not, a difference with the "energy drinks" though is the frequency with which people have multiple serves in rapid succession especially when combined with activities that produce cardiac stress (and then other sources like pre and during workout suppliments - anything from "Revvies" to the wider selection on the internet).

Don't listen to old wives' tales - talk to a 21st-century cardiologist.  

2 hours ago, trifun said:

I didn't say coffee was good for you either - it's not, a difference with the "energy drinks" though is the frequency with which people have multiple serves in rapid succession especially when combined with activities that produce cardiac stress (and then other sources like pre and during workout suppliments - anything from "Revvies" to the wider selection on the internet).

Don't listen to old wives' tales - talk to a 21st-century cardiologist.  

There is plenty of literature out there that coffee is good for you though? But what you are saying is what I said-muppets consuming stupid amounts is the problem. 

Id be interested in what this cardiologists opinion on caffeine is and at what levels it causes problems? Is consuming caffeine during a tri race a danger, at what level etc? 

20 hours ago, more said:

There is plenty of literature out there that coffee is good for you though? But what you are saying is what I said-muppets consuming stupid amounts is the problem. 

Id be interested in what this cardiologists opinion on caffeine is and at what levels it causes problems? Is consuming caffeine during a tri race a danger, at what level etc? 

From what I have read and discussed with my consultant there are important distinctions to be made between the effect of caffeine at rest ( ie sedentary to mild exertion) and the effects under intense exertion.  Around here we are mainly concerned with the latter - and unfortunately many cite date from the former. Caffeine blocks adenosine receptors, which are important in dilating coronary arteries to augment coronary blood flow during exercise (Echeverri et al., 2010). In short - you could end up with the equivalent of a cardiac cramp. Pertinently, as I have alluded to before,  much higher plasma concentration of caffine are associated with energy drinks (often served chilled) due to the larger quantities consumed and the speed with which they are consumed compared to sitting and sipping on a  latte while chatting in a cafe. 

Usually a little of anything that you find pleasant can be considered "good" for you, happy thoughts > healthy body argument.