IronmanFoz

Lights Front and Rear (for flat/wide aero bars and aero seat post)

Per the above ...what do peoplem recommend these days.

I currently have some lights calls Frogs or Froggies but there about 8-9 years old and can'y find them anymore.

Edited by IronmanFoz

I’ve used Lezyne strip drive on my Speed Concept around the post. 

Front light? Work in progress. Although I’m seriously thinking about one of those Knog bells for this season’s racing. Last time I raced it was full of brain dead idiots blocking the RHS and I’m wondering if they might respond to a bell. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Per the above ...what do peoplem recommend these days.

I currently have some lights calls Frogs or Froggies but there about 8-9 years old and can'y find them anymore.

While it may not be cool... 

I have securely attached my ay-up mount and lights to the underside of the lower bar on my Grail. It has a flat profile. I did put small strips of rubber under the mount where it meets the bar. Couple of zip ties and BAM... light. 

The Garmin Varia is perfect for any seat post. It comes with a mount that'd fit an aero seat tube as well as the one I use for a round seat post. Besides the bright light and solid mounting, it's radar feature is second to none. Best gadget I've bought ever for cycling. It's just that little bit of peace of mind on the road. 

Hope you figure something out 👍

2 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

The Garmin Varia is perfect for any seat post. It comes with a mount that'd fit an aero seat tube as well as the one I use for a round seat post. Besides the bright light and solid mounting, it's radar feature is second to none. Best gadget I've bought ever for cycling. It's just that little bit of peace of mind on the road. 

A Xmas treat for myself that I will never leave home without, absolutely the best bit of road bike kit I have ever bought too. Get one.

10 minutes ago, Leon said:

A Xmas treat for myself that I will never leave home without, absolutely the best bit of road bike kit I have ever bought too. Get one.

I have heard by a few people these (Garmin Varia) are useless after about 4 hours? Is that right?

In my limited time with the varia, I have only ridden once for 4 hours and it stayed true.

Have had 2 radar drop outs on the 520 at 3 hours but the 935 was still picking it up.

Seems to draw more power out of the 520 than previously so the take away for me so far is to have everything charged fully for each ride.

If it runs out at 4 hours +, I’ll still take having rear radar for that time as opposed to not having it at all. 

if you ride on only busy roads it will annoy the shite out of you but still way better ‘seeing’ them well before you ever did without it.

so, whatever limitations for over 4 hours or on busy roads, still buy it, game changer for me.

On 12/01/2020 at 2:42 PM, IronmanFoz said:

I have heard by a few people these (Garmin Varia) are useless after about 4 hours? Is that right?

Slowtwitch has a review posted a couple of days ago and they say 15 hr

More than 4hrs I reckon. Probably 60% battery left after 6hrs of riding. 

The latest software update helps in busy traffic. But yes it takes some getting used to the chirps from the 1030 headunit. 

On 14/01/2020 at 6:36 AM, rory-dognz said:

Slowtwitch has a review posted a couple of days ago and they say 15 hr

I am going to say the reality is probably somewhere in between the reports. I ride 8 hours of commuting a week and it usually dies about half way home on the last leg if I've forgotten to give it a charge during the week. I do have a couple of busy stretches where it's going off constantly, and the rest it's going off regularly, but not constantly.

So, in summary, how long it lasts will depend on how much it's going off. 

And also, just as an aside, it doesn't fit my aero post on the TT. Rubber thingies aren't long enough and the rubber mount bit for the TT  isn't the right shape for my bike.

Lights I use

good for being seen but would use to see with

2A502B7B-A452-4016-9F17-01669D88370E.jpeg

7A4BA44E-5249-4D38-B204-A16C2115DF43.jpeg

23623A4A-2D84-4D92-9D91-C6EC532E63E0.jpeg

• Like 1