JRiordan

First timer - hoping for some questions answered !

Hey - I had a read through a few other newbie/ First timer posts but still have a couple of questions.

For raceday - is a tri-suit what you wear for the whole race ?

Ive been doing open water swimming just in swimming shorts so don't really want to wear a wetsuit ? 

Also - does the tri-suit have padding for cycling leg ? Or do slide Knicks over the top ?

Do you have to wear a cap for swimming ?

Do most people wear socks when riding ?

Sorry - some questions might seem stupid, but I cannot find answers and just want to make sure I've got everything covered 😂

Thanks to anyone who takes time to answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there, welcome to the sport and forum,

- Clothing?  Generally most people would wear the same clothing for the entire race - choice between a one-piece trisuit or separate tops/bottoms is really personal preference. Both trisuits and tri shorts have a thin chamois - so it's comfy for both the ride and run (and swim!). Many brands are good - I've liked Scody and Skinfit.

- Wetsuit or not? Whether you can wear a wetsuit is first and foremost dictated by weather/water temp. Typically, many races will fall in the 'wetsuit optional' category, and you'll find most people would opt to wear a wetsuit (feeling safer for some, faster for most!)

- Swim caps? Typically provided by the race and colour coded to denote your start wave / age group.

- Socks? Again, personal choice when / if you wear socks. Some people don't wear them at all, some for the run, some for run and ride (and will vary by distance - I.e. shorter stuff, fewer people wear socks, longer stuff - most would!) Personally, I'm blister prone, so prefer to take 30 secs to put socks on before the ride rather than risk blisters later on...

Hope that helps!!!

Alex

Firstly, welcome aboard.  We're a weird mob and there may seem to be a bit of fighting etc at times, but really we're just like one big family experiencing sibling rivalry...

If your thinking about a particular event then some additional information would be handy to help others give you some more detailed advice specific to that event.  Basically it's all pretty simple and you can't go too far wrong, plus you'll learn a lot after your first race or two, but here's my 2 cents worth.

For raceday - is a tri-suit what you wear for the whole race?

You can pretty much wear what you want, but if you've got a one or two piece tri-suit then yes you would usually wear it for the whole race.

I've been doing open water swimming just in swimming shorts so don't really want to wear a wetsuit ? 

Unless the water is very cold it is usually not mandatory to wear a wetsuit.  Wet suits will make you faster, but depending on the length of the swim you can often lose more time than you save due to the time it can take to get out of it at the end of the swim.  If you are comfortable doing the distance without one then you'll be fine just in your shorts (or trisuit).

Also - does the tri-suit have padding for cycling leg ? Or do slide Knicks over the top ?

Depends on the suit but there's usually a little bit of padding.  Most people would only wear knicks if they required the extra padding for comfort.

Most races with an open water swim will require you to wear a swim cap for safety, if so then they will usually provide you with one at at the race registration.

Racing or just riding?  Riding, most people would do it for comfort, and so that your shoes don't stink.  Racing, if you don't need them for riding or running then you'll save a bit of time by not wearing them.  But if you don't care about the extra few seconds then feel free to put them on.

Keep asking questions if your not sure or if you need anything else.

Good luck & let us know how you go.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JRiordan said:

Hey - I had a read through a few other newbie/ First timer posts but still have a couple of questions.

For raceday - is a tri-suit what you wear for the whole race ?

Ive been doing open water swimming just in swimming shorts so don't really want to wear a wetsuit ? 

Thanks

Tri suit or tri shorts and top are most common. 
you need to cover the torso once out of the swim. 
if you swim in shorts, try them out on a few rides and see if they are ok. 
most short distance tri shorts and suits have minimal padding anyway. 
you could slip Knick’s on over the top, but may not be much benefit over shorter distances. Depends on your comfort level. 
swim cap, generally mandatory for wave starts. All M45-49 in bright green caps for example. 
socks, definitely try before race day if you’re attempting sockless running especially. I’ve only had one pair of shoes where my feet didn’t get killed going sockless. 
for your first times out, go with comfort over potential speed for sure. 

Thanks for all your answers - making a lot more sense now.

I think I'll start by getting a tri-suit and doing some training in it to see how I feel comfort wise. My goal was just to challenge myself and try and finish, not to worried about times so I think I'll stick with the socks.

If you guys had any other tips I'd love to hear them - if not appreciate the answers to my first questions !

3 hours ago, JRiordan said:

Sorry - some questions might seem stupid, but I cannot find answers and just want to make sure I've got everything covered 😂

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask 😉

Welcome! 

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Most of all just enjoy yourself don't be consumed with gear and numbers.

This. 

I’m a battler, and for me don’t see the benefit of a one piece suit. Two piece makes more sense, with the biggest advantage being more likely to wear them in training. You’ll look like a bit of a rig cruising the streets in a one piece outside of a race. 

• Like 1

I like getting nude so have given away Wearing tri suits, instead I wear budgys under the wettie if it’s wetsuit legal, then get nude and put on cycling kit on for comfort, then nude up again in T2 and put shorts and singlet on

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, KieranR said:

I like getting nude so have given away Wearing tri suits, instead I wear budgys under the wettie if it’s wetsuit legal, then get nude and put on cycling kit on for comfort, then nude up again in T2 and put shorts and singlet on

But budgies are for the whole race!

@JRiordan

Just note: When @KieranR says this

He is referencing long distance racing where there is a changing tent. Most (short) races don't have a changing tent, and even if racing, public nudity is against the law (and TA regs) and may lead to getting arrested for indecent exposure.

I highly recommend wearing socks when you're on the run leg. 

1 hour ago, Cape_Horn said:

public nudity is against the law (and TA regs) and may lead to getting arrested for indecent exposure.

I've seen people DQ'd for nudity (sunny coast 70.3 a few years back). 

On 05/01/2020 at 12:45 PM, Kenneth said:

I’m a battler, and for me don’t see the benefit of a one piece suit. Two piece makes more sense, with the biggest advantage being more likely to wear them in training. You’ll look like a bit of a rig cruising the streets in a one piece outside of a race. 

Just get some relatively inexpensive tri shorts if you are just trying it out. You can wear a jersey for the bike and a tee or singlet for the run - or just run/ride in the same jersey/singlet/tee

If you do not want to receive a few whacks in the swim, give the rest of the wave start a few seconds head start.

In transition you cannot touch your bike if you don't have your helmet on and done up. So helmet first, then grab bike. In T2 don't touch your helmet until after you have racked your bike.

Assuming you are racing in Australia, you can only pass other bikes on the right. Which means when not passing other bikes, you need to stay left allowing other riders to pass you.  And you need to leave about 7m gap to the bike in front (no drafting).

Wow you guys are making this way more confusing than is needed. 

Just enter a short race and have fun. 

Youll learn much more doing a short race than reading and trying to digest all of this. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Wow you guys are making this way more confusing than is needed.

The guy asked some questions, and then he asked for any additional tips...   so we responded.

As far as I can see they were all good responses - including 'most of all just enjoy yourself'.